Author Topic: What's the deal with laces?  (Read 2080 times)

coyote2425

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
What's the deal with laces?
« on: October 19, 2020, 06:26:53 AM »
How do you rock your laces?

Bunny ears bouncing around all exposed to the world?

Do you tighten to your liking, knot on the inside and cut the extra?

Discuss.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
Re: What's the deal with laces?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2020, 06:32:06 AM »
This was not a Seinfeldian riff like your topic title implied.  2/5 would not recommend

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 232
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2020, 06:55:21 AM »
Double Slip Knot of course

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2020, 07:29:09 AM »

Mesteezo

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Rep: 65
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2020, 09:20:52 AM »
Bunny ears, double knot. Once they begin to rip I’ll slap a piece of gorilla tape over it to keep them protected.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1068
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2020, 09:25:47 AM »
 Very interesting topic!
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

coyote2425

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2020, 09:48:05 AM »
Very interesting topic!

Someone has to ask the tough questions.

flintstagram

• Rep: 84
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2020, 11:19:21 AM »
Bunny ears, double knot. Once they begin to rip I’ll slap a piece of gorilla tape over it to keep them protected.

This minus the whole gorilla tape thing. I let those shits rip, and then if necessary, I replace them. Pretty interesting stuff, I know.

baustin

• Rep: 118
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2020, 01:17:16 PM »
If the laces are too long I’ll cut and singe, or double knot if they’re prone to coming untied. If they’re prone to ripping, I will dab some super glue on the vulnerable spots but try not to overdo it so as to not glue the laces in place and only add a layer of protection.

I wish brands would put more of their efforts towards durable laces or lace protection.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2020, 04:49:56 PM »
If the laces are too long I’ll cut and singe, or double knot if they’re prone to coming untied. If they’re prone to ripping, I will dab some super glue on the vulnerable spots but try not to overdo it so as to not glue the laces in place and only add a layer of protection.

I wish brands would put more of their efforts towards durable laces or lace protection.

I remember getting a pair of the Emerica Heath Kirchart 1’s and knowing that it would be almost impossible to rip a lace with all that armor over them.  From what I remember, they were pretty stiff, but god damn those things were tanks.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

MaitlandPrivado

• Rep: 29
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2020, 05:14:14 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I remember getting a pair of the Emerica Heath Kirchart 1’s and knowing that it would be almost impossible to rip a lace with all that armor over them.  From what I remember, they were pretty stiff, but god damn those things were tanks.

Maybe my favorite shoe of all time. Not the best skate shoe ever but man I loved these. I bought this colorway at the Tactics in Chino Hills in 2001.

Chookilara

• Rep: -20
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2020, 05:49:35 PM »

jimgrude

• Rep: 70
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2020, 06:50:17 PM »
Doesn't matter, 'cause they need to be replaced every session anyway.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 884
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2020, 07:47:19 PM »
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Halwilkerson

• Rep: 0
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2020, 07:53:03 PM »
Tighten em up and slip them under the insole
Mikey Taylor really did just tweet through 2020

winnasoda

• Rep: -31
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2020, 08:45:38 PM »
How do you rock your laces?

Bunny ears bouncing around all exposed to the world?

Do you tighten to your liking, knot on the inside and cut the extra?

Discuss.

laceless figgys best shoe

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 480
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2020, 10:51:54 PM »
Depends on the shoe but most I tie to the top lace hole if they’re low tops with the normal bunny ear loops hanging out. If they’re too long as I continually tie them tighter over time I usually take a lighter to shorten them. High top/Mids, I go second to the top lace hole and let em hang like the lows.

Such crucial information here..... lol
Super Champion Fun Zone

CannerSpaghetti

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2020, 10:31:00 AM »
Tightened to all hell and then bunny ears. If they rip in a crucial spot, tie another knot in any way that makes it work, I once had half of the shoelace laced halfway up the shoe with bunny ears, and then laced the other half to the top also with bunny ears.

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -237
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2020, 12:20:10 PM »
I usually tuck them in.
I used to like to lace my shoes bar style because I rarely saw other people do it. Then one day long ago slap roasted me for having bar laces and I switched back to normal cross lacing.
Recently a friend gave me some Dunks and GT blazers that he had bar laced and they looked so goofy now.
I switched them to cross lacing.
I usually have my laces pretty tight, which looks wack on puffy shoes which is what I mostly skate.
Accel OGs I can skate fine with the laces loose.
And the Globe Chet 4s im wearing now don’t even need laces because of the way the tongue is attached so I have those nice and loose.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 555
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2020, 05:07:58 PM »
If the laces are too long I’ll cut and singe, ill add a crimp to keep the ends nice and narrow for lace holes

I wish brands would put more of their efforts towards durable laces

The laces that come stock on Emericas are just shit, I have a drawer full of older vans pro laces I kept, once a shoe was fucked I’d take the goofy foot lace out that was still good and make that the regular foot lace on the new pair

fulfillthedream

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 380
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2020, 06:26:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Maybe my favorite shoe of all time. Not the best skate shoe ever but man I loved these. I bought this colorway at the Tactics in Chino Hills in 2001.

i had the white ones and they lasted me a good 6-8 months

Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

Mcidraque

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2020, 01:59:25 AM »

hillbilly shifty

• Rep: 46
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2020, 06:54:19 PM »

someone awhile back brought up paracord for laces. so got 100' for $11 to give it a shot. holds up really well to abrasion.
i cut all of my laces in half and knot to hold at the toe eyelets. since that's an area most prone to breakage.
should start doing the superglue thing on the side stitches....

jsettle

• Rep: 134
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2020, 07:03:41 PM »
nine club laces...laced

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2020, 09:04:36 PM »
I do them up exactly the same in every pair of shoes, no folds or turns in the laces and all the normal cross over way, but if the laces are too long, I swap them out for shorter ones that don't end up hanging down the side of the shoe too much.

I also have very flat feet, so use an extra half cab tongue under most of my old skools, sk8 hi, or cut down ones under eras which help to bring the laces to a normal distance apart, but not appear puffy and do them up nice and tight so there is no foot movement inside the shoe.

Works a treat for me, but I know other people find it funny.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

MusclesMarinara

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 105
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2020, 11:21:23 PM »
My buddies always use to make fun of me cause I did the old school bunny ears and double knot. They always did it the cool way of tightening and slipping the laces into the shoes which never made sense to me. How is having laces in your shoes and walking on the laces comfortable at all?

Regardless I always remember their shoes flying off their feet skating or just running around outside and they never understood why the shoes didn't just stay on their feet, even after explaining trying to tie them correctly. Come to think of it, maybe my friends were/are just morons.
Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

IpathCats

« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2020, 09:51:55 AM »
I have skinny feet and lace my shoes tight so I always have a lot of extra lace. On my front foot I take one of the lace ends, wrap it around the bundle of extra lace a couple times then put that end through my top inside eyelet. It's kinda tough to squeeze it through since there's already a lace through it, but this makes my extra lace bundle smaller, and keeps it to the inside of my foot so I don't trash my laces before the shoes are done. Looks pretty dumb when wearing shorts, but I don't really care.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2020, 03:52:34 PM »
I do remember when I would lace up shoes, I would sometimes make the lace end that was on the outside of the shoe shorter and the one on the inside longer, just so there was less lace getting the ollie abrasions in the rabbit ears too, which worked pretty well for most shoes I had.

I think there were only two pairs of shoes I had with the extra lace cover parts in the leather, but I do remember some people used to cut the stitching near the lace area, and thread the lace through the gap, so the leather would be on top and the lace would be through the lower part of the material, which worked.

A bit of super glue on the stitching and edge of the ollie side laces often did the trick when I could see the laces being torn.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.