Author Topic: Overpriced or underpriced?  (Read 9819 times)

JB77

Overpriced or underpriced?
« on: October 20, 2020, 12:18:31 PM »
Deck prices have remained more or less unaffected by inflation over the last 20 years.  So, are they currently underpriced?  Or, were they overpriced 20 years ago? 

What’s the most you’d be willing to pay for a basic, 7-ply maple deck?  $60?  $65?  $70?

Here’s a page out of the 1999 1997 CCS catalogue...

EDIT: My mistake.  This is from the 1997 catalogue.  Sorry!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 01:09:48 PM by JB77 »

headtowall

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -12
Re: Overpriced or underpriced?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2020, 12:23:10 PM »
i had that Josh Beagle yuck face. got it on CCS and had it shipped to the hotel my family was staying at on vacation in Huntington Beach. This was 1997 though so this date might be wrong, or they kept it in the line for awhile. I only remember because UPS was on strike.

But back to the topic at hand, honestly i think boards are underpriced now leaving less margins overal

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
  • Gnar Kook
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2020, 12:23:52 PM »
They cost that much back in 1986 too.
My question is on hoodies. How do they go from like 39.99 and being thicc, to being thin t-shirts and around 65.99

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 118
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2020, 12:27:20 PM »
Decks are underpriced but I’m not complaining

Soft goods from skate brands are wayyyy overpriced

Ask any shop owner what makes them any money at all and they will confirm this

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 816
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2020, 12:31:25 PM »
I don't think they're underpriced per se.  Back in the 80s you had boards made in America and silkscreened by hand.  Now they're mass produced in Mexico or China, and graphics are heat transferred.  Boards back then were also bigger, and used more material, and you didn't buy one every 2 weeks (more like one every, 3-6 months, or even once a year). 

How much do they actually cost to make now vs how much they sell for?
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2020, 12:47:18 PM »
My core local has already started doing this.  Standard 7 ply Real / Anti Hero / Black Label or similar for $60-65 (with grip).  Shop decks / Mini Logo for $45.

We also have a Tactics in town that is about $10 cheaper per deck - with better selection.   

So, where do you buy? How much is it worth to support the local? 

and you didn't buy one every 2 weeks (more like one every, 3-6 months, or even once a year). 

Around 91-92 I was buying one every 4-6 weeks in the skate season because I would snap them.  Boards are better quality now.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -767
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2020, 12:51:59 PM »
Those decks sizes are beautiful. All the sub 7.75s
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Stu Pickles

• Rep: 113
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2020, 12:58:16 PM »
Where I am pro decks/brand decks are 75-90 bucks (CDN), shop decks 50-55 bucks (pretty decent wood too, prefer the shapes as well).

Im getting shop decks from my local 100% of the time. Ive ridden pro decks for the first time in a decade this year cuz COVID fucked with the shop deck manufacturing.

I struggle to see why I should spend the same amount of money on shoes as I do a deck, shoes feel harder to make with more expensive materials but maybe im ignorant

Lukabrazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 156
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2020, 12:58:28 PM »
that Alien Workshop Believe Slick deck was my first board, but I believe it was from CCS in like 96 or 97

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2020, 01:05:56 PM »
Out of curiosity - I looked up what some other online shops are charging these days.  Looks like Real boards are for $64 at CCS, making them $1 cheaper at my local:

https://shop.ccs.com/skateboards/skateboard-decks/real

$66 for DogTown that are $60 at my local.
https://shop.ccs.com/skateboards/skateboard-decks/dogtown

Crap

• Rep: 77
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2020, 01:06:34 PM »
Where I am pro decks/brand decks are 75-90 bucks (CDN), shop decks 50-55 bucks (pretty decent wood too, prefer the shapes as well).

Im getting shop decks from my local 100% of the time. Ive ridden pro decks for the first time in a decade this year cuz COVID fucked with the shop deck manufacturing.

I struggle to see why I should spend the same amount of money on shoes as I do a deck, shoes feel harder to make with more expensive materials but maybe im ignorant

Feel like they went from $80-85 to $90-100 at most Canadian shops this spring, and I'm fine with it. I can afford the extra few bucks, and with so many new people taking up skating during COVID; this was probably the right time to reset the price scale a little. Someone who never walked into a skate shop before May doesn't know or care that a deck is $10 more than it used to be, and still considers skating a pretty cheap hobby compared to most others (i.e. video games, golf, cycling, etc.). Boards still flew off the shelves all summer, and I'm glad the shops got to take in some extra money from it.

JB77

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2020, 01:09:00 PM »
i had that Josh Beagle yuck face. got it on CCS and had it shipped to the hotel my family was staying at on vacation in Huntington Beach. This was 1997 though so this date might be wrong, or they kept it in the line for awhile. I only remember because UPS was on strike.

But back to the topic at hand, honestly i think boards are underpriced now leaving less margins overal

You’re totally right, this is from 1997, not ‘99.  My mistake.  Original post edited.  Thanks!

figureitout

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -141
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2020, 01:10:46 PM »
Thanks for posting that era and that Workshop page, those we the days.

My nostalgia sense is tingling.

I have no problem with them following inflation. If its a brand I back, I don't mind paying $80 with grip.

As we know the margins are pretty small on hardgoods generally speaking.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1129
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2020, 01:12:08 PM »

board prices have been climbing for years.

Counts as a Land

• Rep: 1
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2020, 01:21:18 PM »
Have you seen what Powell decks are going for on their website? They are $80-$93.  I get they are the Flight Deck or whatever... but for a Powell... that’s a lot to ask.

https://powell-peralta.com/skateboard-decks

Also I wish I could find that Mantis Workshop deck... was my first.  Feeling all kind of feels with that.

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Gnar Kook
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2020, 01:29:09 PM »
Powell decks are pretty good quality, Flight or not. They just aren't as "cool" as they were back in the day.
I'd buy the shit out of their stuff if they did classic graphics on popsicles.
Or if they did the 1991-1993 reissues

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2020, 01:43:19 PM »

They do - they just have shit for stock right now.   They make both Ripper and Skull and Sword decks in 8.0, 8.25, 8.5 and I believe 8.75.  Different colors each size and season, but they have been in the catalog pretty regularly for years.

Their non-flight stuff is priced inline with everyone else, if not a bit cheaper. 

They aren't "cool" these days, but I really like them.  I picked a couple last year (8.0 and 8.5) and didn't initially like them because the kicks are so mellow - but skating side by side with other boards I had built up I realized I was landing more tricks on the flatter boards.  If someone in town had an 8.5 Powell in stock I would buy it today. 

https://powell-peralta.com/powell-peralta-ripper-skateboard-deck-aqua-shape-243-8-25-x-31-95

https://powell-peralta.com/powell-peralta-skull-and-sword-skateboard-deck-turquoise-243-k20-8-25-x-31-95

https://lbskate.com/products/powell-peralta-skull-and-sword-yellow-green-244-k20-8-5-skateboard-deck?variant=36278525001884&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google%20Shopping&gclid=CjwKCAjwlbr8BRA0EiwAnt4MTq9aIpiSdZ0HVvhpIlNPsW-9HXKIApKsPnpwFMtQj0B3PRqxq8LkExoCAdsQAvD_BwE

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2020, 01:48:52 PM »
When I started skating again in 94 (just 6 months off), I got a 7.5 Powell board that was the toughest board I ever had. I've randomly bought them here and there since. Not in a long time though... but boards sadly last me forever now. Frankie Hill did a few reissues (egg shapes!) a few years ago but they were $125 / signed etc. I wanted to skate one of those bad boys

HeavyLiquid

• Rep: 0
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2020, 01:54:59 PM »
i just moved to france and decks are like ~55 euro for shop decks, ~65 for euro brands, 75–80 for american brands. i paid 75 for a creature 9” bc there weren’t any wide shop or euro decks.

Made In China

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 652
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2020, 01:58:56 PM »
I paid $65 for a Polar deck the other day. I'd pay that much for boards from brands that I like.

JB77

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2020, 02:16:02 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They do - they just have shit for stock right now.   They make both Ripper and Skull and Sword decks in 8.0, 8.25, 8.5 and I believe 8.75.  Different colors each size and season, but they have been in the catalog pretty regularly for years.

Their non-flight stuff is priced inline with everyone else, if not a bit cheaper. 

They aren't "cool" these days, but I really like them.  I picked a couple last year (8.0 and 8.5) and didn't initially like them because the kicks are so mellow - but skating side by side with other boards I had built up I realized I was landing more tricks on the flatter boards.  If someone in town had an 8.5 Powell in stock I would buy it today. 

https://powell-peralta.com/powell-peralta-ripper-skateboard-deck-aqua-shape-243-8-25-x-31-95

https://powell-peralta.com/powell-peralta-skull-and-sword-skateboard-deck-turquoise-243-k20-8-25-x-31-95

https://lbskate.com/products/powell-peralta-skull-and-sword-yellow-green-244-k20-8-5-skateboard-deck?variant=36278525001884&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google%20Shopping&gclid=CjwKCAjwlbr8BRA0EiwAnt4MTq9aIpiSdZ0HVvhpIlNPsW-9HXKIApKsPnpwFMtQj0B3PRqxq8LkExoCAdsQAvD_BwE

Those are sick.  They did the classic Kevin Harris Mountie graphic on a popsicle for a while, too.

I love Skate One’s quality control, overall.  They’re really consistent.  When I was a kid Powell Peralta was king of the mountain, so I’ll always have a soft spot for that company. 

Plus, it’s cool that George Powell is still innovating deck technology.  I wonder if the margins are better or worse for Flight decks vs traditional maple?

Dooky-shoes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -306
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2020, 02:27:18 PM »
It’s funny how alien has not changed their graphics but are still considered cool.

stone cold steve austin

• Rep: -84
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2020, 02:27:36 PM »
$110+ just for a deck in Australia.

DA BIG BODY BENZ

• Rep: -122
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2020, 02:46:11 PM »
I'm a cheap ass the only way I'm paying full price for a deck is if its a wall hanger, why pay $70+ for a deck when you can go to skate America and get 3 pro decks for $100?

Also, I dont have a local shop so its online or nothing for me

Telly

• Rep: -151
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2020, 03:31:03 PM »
Why can’t mark sucui be into economics and not reading?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1595
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2020, 03:40:33 PM »
Something to consider too is now boards are made in Mexico...I suspect less labour intensive as well.... If there weren't so many companies, the existing ones would sell more boards.....no doubt about it though, margins are thin....

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -213
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2020, 04:30:45 PM »
way too many bullshit Alien boards/graphics for my taste

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 654
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2020, 05:01:22 PM »
Boards are underpriced in the US... But this is benefit of fucking over american workers and sending the board manufacturing to Mexico and China.

They are insanely overpriced in Russia and in comparison to the USA they're overpriced in Canada and Europe.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1047
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2020, 07:12:57 PM »
$110+ just for a deck in Australia.

And it is only going higher with the low AU dollar compared to the US, some wholesale prices now over $75 just the deck, plus shipping, which is going to be hard to justify.

Those new FA and Hockey decks were AU$159 from OCD shop in the last lot that came out, and all sold out too.

At one point I seem to recall all pro decks were all around $150 but I cannot exactly remember when, 2000 give or take a few years?  I was riding lots of blanks and seconds and getting by, but things got pretty costly, then the AU dollar went back above the US dollar and many people were enjoying getting lots for half the prices from US shops.

China made blanks still wholesale for $25 to $30 so retail for AU$50 to AU$60 but often don't last more than a session or two under heavy skating.

I would rather the good quality decks than the cheap quick fix, but that is just me.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -237
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2020, 08:44:23 PM »
I’d be willing to pay $70 for a pro board with grip
I’m a fat Siamese cat.