Author Topic: Super mellow decks like this  (Read 16471 times)

Garbagecomplex

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 2
Super mellow decks like this
« on: October 26, 2020, 02:55:21 PM »
I got the scumco team broadcast deck. It’s my favorite deck I’ve ever had. It’s verry very mellow. Nearly flat concave. Super mellow nose and tail. Most decks have very steep noses and I hate it. I tried the baker og but it feels like the kicks are lower to the ground than the middle of the deck. It’s weird. I’m just looking for the flattest mellowest decks. Any suggestions?

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Super mellow decks like this
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2020, 04:12:23 PM »
What size board do you ride?

Do you mean the Baker flexed out or was soggy?  I have had boards that feel flexed out, but they are usually the more mellow concaves on the market.

There is always the drive over it or park on it overnight which works too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVv53BA-vUc
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Gabagoolslide

• Rep: -85
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2020, 05:34:47 PM »
Imagine starting a thread about flat decks on slap in 2020

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2020, 07:05:58 PM »
https://pointdistribution.com/custom_skateboard/

their mellow shape is the flattest shit I've skated since highschool. I fucking hated it. but some people like flat boards

DOA flat as fuck concave seems to be popular

Garbagecomplex

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2020, 07:21:49 PM »
What size board do you ride?

Do you mean the Baker flexed out or was soggy?  I have had boards that feel flexed out, but they are usually the more mellow concaves on the market.

There is always the drive over it or park on it overnight which works too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVv53BA-vUc

I’ve been skating 8.25s thinking of sizing up. The baker seemed fine. It was mellow and flat and I might have to keep skating them. Most decks from the side are a straight line then at the kicks it dips down then comes up to make the kick. The baker dipped down a lot and then was mellow. So when I skated it my back foot always felt closer to the ground than my front foot.

The scumco deck from the side doesn’t really dip down before the kicks. There’s not really pockets on the deck. 3 fingers of flat on the nose and the tail. It’s perfect

I just didn’t know if there’s brands that are making stuff like that. Quasi is hit or miss because the steep nose. There’s a lot of brands I hsvnt tried and woodshops change. Like flips used to be flat but are they still?

Garbagecomplex

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2020, 07:23:20 PM »

their mellow shape is the flattest shit I've skated since highschool. I fucking hated it. but some people like flat boards

DOA flat as fuck concave seems to be popular

Oh fuck yeah. Thanks. I’ve been looking sonething like this

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2020, 07:36:44 PM »

Point Distribution Mellow = approximate 19.25°nose and 18.5°tail with a medium center concave.

Powell K20 decks have mellower kicks  = 18°nose and 18°tail

Garbagecomplex

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2020, 08:24:48 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Point Distribution Mellow = approximate 19.25°nose and 18.5°tail with a medium center concave.

Powell K20 decks have mellower kicks  = 18°nose and 18°tail

I actually did try a k20. I didn’t skate it much. Was bummed that the concave in general was more medium. The kicks were a good angle though. Should set it up again but I felt like the wood was kinda garbage. I might try to heat it and clamp it to flatten it out to try again

shitsandwich

• Rep: -53
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2020, 08:27:53 PM »
Why do people like mellow boards?

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2020, 09:12:28 PM »

I’ve been skating 8.25s thinking of sizing up. The baker seemed fine. It was mellow and flat and I might have to keep skating them. Most decks from the side are a straight line then at the kicks it dips down then comes up to make the kick. The baker dipped down a lot and then was mellow. So when I skated it my back foot always felt closer to the ground than my front foot.

The scumco deck from the side doesn’t really dip down before the kicks. There’s not really pockets on the deck. 3 fingers of flat on the nose and the tail. It’s perfect

I just didn’t know if there’s brands that are making stuff like that. Quasi is hit or miss because the steep nose. There’s a lot of brands I hsvnt tried and woodshops change. Like flips used to be flat but are they still?

The best thing would be going somewhere you can stand on a lot of boards, but as that is not always an easy option, some places will have details and concave angles, heights, etc (as was said by TwisT)

Already noted too that one company might have a "mellow" board which will actually still be steeper than another company regular board, so the stand on them would be easiest to feel them out.

As for sizes, I know a lot of the 8 feel flat to me, then 8.25 feel fairly good overall with decent concave, then a lot of the 8.38 size actually feel flatter for some reason and the 8.5 are again fairly good, but this is going by riding a lot of Real decks (same as Krooked, Antihero, Baker, etc)

Brands that I feel have less concave besides Baker also include Passport, Magenta, USA made Toy Machine and others I will add when I can stand on a few more boards.

The parking the car on the end of a board overnight really does flatten out the kick of a deck too, so you can always just do the nose if it feels too steep.  I tried it and it does work.  Just put something under the board so it is not just on concrete garage floor.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2020, 09:41:54 PM »

I didn't - but now I do.

I skated mostly medium and steeper concaves for a long time.  I picked up a couple of the K20 Mini Logo decks (8 and 8.5) because they were stupid cheap - around $28 for the pair.  I built them up, tried them a few times, decided they were too flat and then skated my other setups. 

When covid hit and the skateparks were closed I spent a bunch more time doing flippy shit in parking lots - and it turns out I was landing a lot more consistently on the flat setups. 

I still have a steep/big setup for the park, but skate a flat setup on the street.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2020, 11:21:16 PM »

Boards mellower kicks are more forgiving to pop. Steep kicks means you have to kick down harder before the nose and tail contact the ground because your nose / tail is pitched up higher. You much more vertical but at the expense of consistency and fatigue. Doing a half ass pop will result in ghost pop. So if you're legs are young and full of explosive strength then they are fun to skate. Found this out when I skated a Santa Cruz deck with steep kicks, consistency goes way down especially towards the end of the session when my legs are completely jelly.

In terms of concave I can only do medium to medium-steep, too much concave causes my foot to catch too much board during flips. Haven't skated a mellow / flat deck but could be worth a try, I have to do my kickflips with my deck reversed (pop off my tail, flick off my nose), because the wider nose catched too much of my foot, so maybe if I'll try one for that purpose alone.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Skatebeard

• Rep: 129
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2020, 03:18:23 AM »
Girl/Chocolate decks are pretty chill, like you I prefer shallow kicks and mellow concave.

Really enjoying the G027 8.25. the 8" G008 and G045 are also similarly flat.

Magenta decks are reasonably mellow (i've skated their 7.75s and 8s), Jart also (though their graphics are pretty meh), Primitive also fairly flat (meh on those graphics too).

Steep kicks give me lower back pain, and i hate the feeling of my foot curving in steep concave...I'm 35, not 15 and full of energy and fitness like I was.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2020, 05:19:56 AM »
So i've seen/heard the preference to use Ace on steep kicks to bring in wheelbase and help with mellowing out the pop angle.
What trucks are preferred with mellow decks? Fingers of flat obviously play a part as well.

Skatebeard

• Rep: 129
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2020, 07:03:05 AM »
I like low/mid trucks on a flat deck because it makes for quicker pop and I can happily skate flatground for a couple of hours without tiring my legs out...I find the yield pretty good without having to work super hard.

Thunders or Venture lows on a 14" wheelbase with mellow concave and kicks are my go-to. Deck width between 7.75-8.25, I find any bigger wheelbase cuts into the fingers of flat and makes manuals harder.

Totally personal preference of course.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 872
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2020, 07:51:51 AM »
The blue Scumco team from the broadcast series? I wouldn't really call it super mellow... it's more of a medium. There are two mellow-er decks from that run, the Downey and the Nicholson. Downey is very similar to a quasi, and I'm 99% sure the Nicholson is the toy machine mellow mold.

That team deck is one of my favorite decks ever though. If you want something similar then I'd stick with PS wood, Quasi 8.25 is always a good one and there's some 8.25 Snack decks that are almost identical to that scumco but they're really hard to find right now. I'd also recommend trying the 8.25 WKND shape (not the new VA or CT ones though), its slightly longer but has a similar feel in my opinion.

If you want something that's even mellower than that, south central E mold (DOA flat as fuck) are awesome but you have to be quick when they drop because they sell out fast. Politic used to do some decks on that mold too but they're apparently not using it anymore. The last one was the "pawns of babylon" graphic. Other mellow decks - blood wizard/maxallure 8.25 is a good one (PGI), most Girl/Chocolate decks, and the Watson made Toy Machine/Foundation decks are all good.

Alternatively, you can just sit tight for the moment because that 8.25 shape is what Nick (the owner and creative genius behind ScumCo) skates so it's going to be in every run going forward. Right now they're just waiting for PS to get their shit together and catch up from the covid delays, but there will be new PS scumcos coming hopefully soon.

TumKayo

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2020, 07:59:24 AM »
A lot of Toy Machine decks are pretty flat

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2020, 08:01:43 AM »
The Point decks I’ve had in their mellow shape still all had medium to steep tails and noses but there is almost no concave at all in the middle of the board, it’s flat as all hell; feels like you’re stepping on a 2x4. So yeah if that’s your thing then try one of those boards out. I don’t mind em once I get used to them.

I’m a pretty big fan of the OG baker shape actually; super mellow nose and tail, mellow concave in the middle, it just feels comfy to me.

Had a couple PS stix toy machines recently which were pretty damn flat that I liked; so flat that my friends would trip on me and ask me how I could ride that thing every time they saw it. Make sure when you get a toy that it’s the mellow concave tho, I’ve heard their steep concave shape is steep as all hell.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2020, 08:24:52 AM »
I like low/mid trucks on a flat deck because it makes for quicker pop and I can happily skate flatground for a couple of hours without tiring my legs out...I find the yield pretty good without having to work super hard.

Thunders or Venture lows on a 14" wheelbase with mellow concave and kicks are my go-to. Deck width between 7.75-8.25, I find any bigger wheelbase cuts into the fingers of flat and makes manuals harder.

Totally personal preference of course.

I also like thunders and ventures and flat boards. I would appreciate a recommendation for a 7.75”ish (less than 8”) deck, that is flat. 14” wb max. Please and thank you. Flatflatflat

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2020, 08:34:42 AM »
Point Dist decks
pink one is a DGK but the same size
The other one is PointDist (whom I'm pretty sure get wood from china if that matters to you)

A literal plank.
I can't really give a fair review, because overall I hated the lack of concave so much. I rode it, just because I bought it. Mannies were on point. I was doing shuv nose manny variations easily.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 08:41:42 AM by TwisT »

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2020, 08:43:33 AM »
I like super mellow boards as well - Baker has a great mold for their mellow boards - but the pointy shapes can be a little off putting.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2020, 09:15:17 AM »
I like super mellow boards as well - Baker has a great mold for their mellow boards - but the pointy shapes can be a little off putting.

I like the pointy. Because I’m old. It looks right. Like an old Mariano or better yet Sheffey toy soldier

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2020, 09:17:26 AM »
Point Dist decks
The other one is PointDist (whom I'm pretty sure get wood from china if that matters to you)

A literal plank.
I can't really give a fair review, because overall I hated the lack of concave so much. I rode it, just because I bought it. Mannies were on point. I was doing shuv nose manny variations easily.

Damn! Thanks! China wood isn’t a favorite. But shapes look cool to me.

I’ve said it too many times, but @romliss boards look perfect, flat. Not sure if he rides production stuff or what

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -237
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2020, 09:22:25 AM »
Minilogo boards have a mellow nose and tail but the concave is medium feeling to me.
I’ve actually hoped they would come out with shapes with a steeper nose and tail.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

baustin

• Rep: 115
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2020, 09:23:56 AM »
I enjoy skating Crail decks for their shapes if nothing else. Mellow concave and the kicks have that nice round shape that is neither pointy nor square

Garbagecomplex

« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2020, 09:40:57 AM »
Point Dist decks

A literal plank.

Damn that is like what I’m looking for. My scumco looked like that compared to other decks

Garbagecomplex

« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2020, 09:49:48 AM »
The blue Scumco team from the broadcast series? I wouldn't really call it super mellow... it's more of a medium. There are two mellow-er decks from that run, the Downey and the Nicholson. Downey is very similar to a quasi, and I'm 99% sure the Nicholson is the toy machine mellow mold.

That team deck is one of my favorite decks ever though. If you want something similar then I'd stick with PS wood, Quasi 8.25 is always a good one and there's some 8.25 Snack decks that are almost identical to that scumco but they're really hard to find right now. I'd also recommend trying the 8.25 WKND shape (not the new VA or CT ones though), its slightly longer but has a similar feel in my opinion.

If you want something that's even mellower than that, south central E mold (DOA flat as fuck) are awesome but you have to be quick when they drop because they sell out fast. Politic used to do some decks on that mold too but they're apparently not using it anymore. The last one was the "pawns of babylon" graphic. Other mellow decks - blood wizard/maxallure 8.25 is a good one (PGI), most Girl/Chocolate decks, and the Watson made Toy Machine/Foundation decks are all good.

Alternatively, you can just sit tight for the moment because that 8.25 shape is what Nick (the owner and creative genius behind ScumCo) skates so it's going to be in every run going forward. Right now they're just waiting for PS to get their shit together and catch up from the covid delays, but there will be new PS scumcos coming hopefully soon.

Yeah the blue scumco deck. I had 2 of them. Both very flat. It was advertised online as having deep concave but it doesn’t. I did buy a Kyle Nicholson broadcast deck after I realized how much I like the team deck. Very similar. The Nicholson is 8.5 a very similarly flat in all the ways. Idk if I just got lucky and got 2 flattened out team decks. Good to know the owner skates that shape. I’d love to stock up and not have to think about it anymore. Thanks for the info

Garbagecomplex

« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2020, 09:53:30 AM »
Girl/Chocolate decks are pretty chill, like you I prefer shallow kicks and mellow concave.

Really enjoying the G027 8.25. the 8" G008 and G045 are also similarly flat.

Magenta decks are reasonably mellow (i've skated their 7.75s and 8s), Jart also (though their graphics are pretty meh), Primitive also fairly flat (meh on those graphics too).

Steep kicks give me lower back pain, and i hate the feeling of my foot curving in steep concave...I'm 35, not 15 and full of energy and fitness like I was.

I’ve been wanting to try a girl board because you can at least know the shape number to buy it again. I’m 32 And You are exactly right

Garbagecomplex

« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2020, 09:57:35 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Boards mellower kicks are more forgiving to pop. Steep kicks means you have to kick down harder before the nose and tail contact the ground because your nose / tail is pitched up higher. You much more vertical but at the expense of consistency and fatigue. Doing a half ass pop will result in ghost pop. So if you're legs are young and full of explosive strength then they are fun to skate. Found this out when I skated a Santa Cruz deck with steep kicks, consistency goes way down especially towards the end of the session when my legs are completely jelly.

In terms of concave I can only do medium to medium-steep, too much concave causes my foot to catch too much board during flips. Haven't skated a mellow / flat deck but could be worth a try, I have to do my kickflips with my deck reversed (pop off my tail, flick off my nose), because the wider nose catched too much of my foot, so maybe if I'll try one for that purpose alone.

I’m old enough that if my nose is too steep I ghost pop nollie stuff. Old enough to not be comfortable rolling up to something thinking there’s a 35 percent chance my nollie trick will ghost.   

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2020, 10:38:45 AM »
So i've seen/heard the preference to use Ace on steep kicks to bring in wheelbase and help with mellowing out the pop angle.
What trucks are preferred with mellow decks? Fingers of flat obviously play a part as well.

Venture/Thunder would be preferred by most.  I go Indy with a forged baseplate.  Forged indys have a similar wheelbase to cast thunder and I like the turn a lot more.

It's crazy that a number of the Powell pros use Ace on the super mellow kicks.  I think most the rest use Indy.  I don't think they have anyone on their team using Thunder or Venture.