Author Topic: Super mellow decks like this  (Read 16473 times)

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 872
Re: Super mellow decks like this
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2020, 07:14:39 PM »
Expand Quote
I like low/mid trucks on a flat deck because it makes for quicker pop and I can happily skate flatground for a couple of hours without tiring my legs out...I find the yield pretty good without having to work super hard.

Thunders or Venture lows on a 14" wheelbase with mellow concave and kicks are my go-to. Deck width between 7.75-8.25, I find any bigger wheelbase cuts into the fingers of flat and makes manuals harder.

Totally personal preference of course.
[close]

I also like thunders and ventures and flat boards. I would appreciate a recommendation for a 7.75”ish (less than 8”) deck, that is flat. 14” wb max. Please and thank you. Flatflatflat

If you can find one of the Girl reissue Carroll bruised heel or Jovantae decks they're 7.5 and extremely flat. They're PS wood and I believe it's the original 90's girl mold. I was lucky enough to have someone send me one a month or so ago and it's a blast. Total throwback to the 90s. They flip like a fucking fingerboard.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2020, 07:41:56 PM »

Yeah the blue scumco deck. I had 2 of them. Both very flat. It was advertised online as having deep concave but it doesn’t. I did buy a Kyle Nicholson broadcast deck after I realized how much I like the team deck. Very similar. The Nicholson is 8.5 a very similarly flat in all the ways. Idk if I just got lucky and got 2 flattened out team decks. Good to know the owner skates that shape. I’d love to stock up and not have to think about it anymore. Thanks for the info

Interesting. This is how they normally stack up... I went from flattest (Nicholson) on the bottom to steepest (team) on top and then how the team compares to the Downey and Nicholson respectively.

There's a good bit of variation in terms of stack position with PS decks, but this team was the mellowest of the 3 I've had (hence why I stashed it haha). I know they were listed as deep but I'd classify it as medium. The way that series went the Downey and Kyle decks were mellow, the team and Abair were medium, and then the KT and Beall were a bit deeper. I skated everything but the KT (too long) and Nicholson (wb was too long and I already have a toy machine) and man they were all killers. Some people seemed turned off by the move away from Pennswood but I'd skate almost all of them over any of my Pennswood scumcos any day of the week.

If I get a chance tomorrow I'll pull some other PS stuff out and see if I can find something that matches up that would still be pretty easy to find if you don't want to wait for the new ones. Just guessing but I think that the WKND and snack are going to be the closest. The one advantage that the 8.25 team has over most similar decks in my opinion is its 31.5" length, and unfortunately that's the hardest thing to match. If you're open to other woodshops, the clutch O shape has some similarities. I think the new run of flip decks are on it, but I haven't seen one in person yet.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2020, 08:48:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I like low/mid trucks on a flat deck because it makes for quicker pop and I can happily skate flatground for a couple of hours without tiring my legs out...I find the yield pretty good without having to work super hard.

Thunders or Venture lows on a 14" wheelbase with mellow concave and kicks are my go-to. Deck width between 7.75-8.25, I find any bigger wheelbase cuts into the fingers of flat and makes manuals harder.

Totally personal preference of course.
[close]

I also like thunders and ventures and flat boards. I would appreciate a recommendation for a 7.75”ish (less than 8”) deck, that is flat. 14” wb max. Please and thank you. Flatflatflat
[close]

If you can find one of the Girl reissue Carroll bruised heel or Jovantae decks they're 7.5 and extremely flat. They're PS wood and I believe it's the original 90's girl mold. I was lucky enough to have someone send me one a month or so ago and it's a blast. Total throwback to the 90s. They flip like a fucking fingerboard.

Thanks!

Yeah I have one Jovontae, shoulda woulda bought another. I haven’t seen any for a minute. That board is a good time for sure, same mold and wider would also be fun, but the 7.5 doesn’t bother me at all.

Garbagecomplex

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 2
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2020, 01:51:12 PM »
Expand Quote

Yeah the blue scumco deck. I had 2 of them. Both very flat. It was advertised online as having deep concave but it doesn’t. I did buy a Kyle Nicholson broadcast deck after I realized how much I like the team deck. Very similar. The Nicholson is 8.5 a very similarly flat in all the ways. Idk if I just got lucky and got 2 flattened out team decks. Good to know the owner skates that shape. I’d love to stock up and not have to think about it anymore. Thanks for the info
[close]

Interesting. This is how they normally stack up... I went from flattest (Nicholson) on the bottom to steepest (team) on top and then how the team compares to the Downey and Nicholson respectively.

There's a good bit of variation in terms of stack position with PS decks, but this team was the mellowest of the 3 I've had (hence why I stashed it haha). I know they were listed as deep but I'd classify it as medium. The way that series went the Downey and Kyle decks were mellow, the team and Abair were medium, and then the KT and Beall were a bit deeper. I skated everything but the KT (too long) and Nicholson (wb was too long and I already have a toy machine) and man they were all killers. Some people seemed turned off by the move away from Pennswood but I'd skate almost all of them over any of my Pennswood scumcos any day of the week.

If I get a chance tomorrow I'll pull some other PS stuff out and see if I can find something that matches up that would still be pretty easy to find if you don't want to wait for the new ones. Just guessing but I think that the WKND and snack are going to be the closest. The one advantage that the 8.25 team has over most similar decks in my opinion is its 31.5" length, and unfortunately that's the hardest thing to match. If you're open to other woodshops, the clutch O shape has some similarities. I think the new run of flip decks are on it, but I haven't seen one in person yet.

I’d definitely wait for those scumcos. I kinda spent a lot trying to figure out the perfect set up for me.

The scumco team deck I forgot I did sand down slightly. I’m on 147 thunders so I sanded the front end  half slightly which did make it slightly flatter (not much more than the unskated one I have). It tapers quite a bit so the back end was good with my trucks. And yeah it being 31.5 is wonderful.

It’s also got a wheelbase a pinch more than 14. It’s listed as 14 but it’s almost 14.2. I have two Kyle nickolson broadcast decks. The 8.5 (flat)has the 14.2 wheelbase but the 8.25 (medium)has a 14.5 So it’s not ideal for me. Kicks are good though.

Interested in those wknd and snack decks. I had always seen people say the wknd had super steep noses so it’s good to know there’s shapes that arnt.
I tried another scumco but it was a regular popsicle from pennswood. So I experimented with it. Used a heat gun to heat it and clamped it flat. Then heated the nose and tail and added weight. It works ok but I’m not sure how bad it is for the life of the deck

I’m open to other woodshops but I’ve liked all the ps decks so I’ve been trying different stuff from there.

Thanks for all the help and input. It’s frustrating not being able to go stand on a deck. And buying online is hard when there’s very little info about decks and being so incredibly picky about it.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2020, 02:11:07 PM »
There used to be a WKND 8.25 shape that had a mega steep nose, it was 31.5" length and is one of my favorite decks ever. Actually it's pretty similar to the scumco team except with a bit more angle to the nose. About a year and a half ago they stopped doing them and went to an 8.25 that was 31.75 length and had a less steep nose, and then just recently they came out with a few other 8.25 shapes that are more rounded and one that has a shorter wb. I haven't tried any of the new ones so I don't really know much about them, but you can probably still find the 31.75 ones pretty easily.

Snack is a lot harder to find. They had a drop right at the beginning of the pandemic, but they're a smaller company and PS is prioritizing large orders right now so who knows when they'll have more out. If you can find one, the 8.25 Krebs and Cullen decks should be fairly close to the scumco team albeit slightly longer.

Heating your deck up and clamping weights to it is probably pretty horrible for it, but if you've got the legs to overcome it then go for it I guess. Neen Williams runs his shit over with his car. Pennswood is pretty much a polar opposite to PS in my opinion, they tend to be fairly deep, stiff, and heavy feeling while PS decks tend to be fairly flat and have more subtle curves and the wood is very light and springy feeling.

Watson wood is pretty similar to PS in terms of feel, and the Foundation 8.25 oval decks out there right now are very flat concave but medium kicks. Great decks.   

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2020, 07:52:12 PM »
DOA Flat as Fuck

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2020, 10:20:59 PM »
DOA Flat as Fuck

They're the best.

Unfortunately they're also more or less extinct at the moment so unless you're a hoarder like myself.. and yourself...ourselves... you've got to play the waiting game. I have seen some 8" politic E molds still out there but I think sneakycocksucker got the last 8.12 I had bookmarked.

They're also quite different from the Scumco deck he mentioned, which as I've said I consider to be more of a medium (although its definitely mellower than say an AH eagle so if he's coming from skating a lot of BBS or similar boards then I could see why he'd consider it flat). The Scumco is shorter (31.5 vs 31.75), much more square, and has a steeper nose than the flats. I've actually transitioned between those two exact boards several times because they're both at the very highest tier of my favorite decks list, and its not always a pleasant switch. It probably doesn't help that I skate the flats on ventures and the scumco on theeves.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2020, 06:21:53 PM »
Plan B
Baker
Primitive
Those REAL mellow boards (especially if you get a lower in the stack one)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2020, 10:52:17 AM by Xen »

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2020, 04:16:31 AM »
Plan B
Baker

Unfortunately almost all of the plan B I've seen lately are the new HLC ones and they're fairly steep and longer than the PS ones. Still good, but not the short mellow tail/steep nose shape that I love. Im hoping they go back to PS once the covid production issues are resolved or they develop a similar shape with HLC because it was a really awesome and unique size/shape combo.

Interested in those wknd and snack decks. I had always seen people say the wknd had super steep noses so it’s good to know there’s shapes that arnt.

This is the previous standard 8.25 wknd mold on top of the scumco team. It's a little flatter, a little longer (31.75) and slightly less square. The new wknd shape guide lists the regular 8.25 as 32 now so I don't know if they changed that or it's just measured with the concave. You can definitely still find them though, or if you don't mind a 14wb and rounder shape you can get the new boards in the 8.25CT shape.

I would definitely recommend the 8.25 quasi shape as well. It's a little mellower than the wknd concave wise but the tail angle is similar to the scumco and it has a really nice full squarish-round shape.

Garbagecomplex

• Rep: 2
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2020, 10:25:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Plan B
Baker
[close]

Unfortunately almost all of the plan B I've seen lately are the new HLC ones and they're fairly steep and longer than the PS ones. Still good, but not the short mellow tail/steep nose shape that I love. Im hoping they go back to PS once the covid production issues are resolved or they develop a similar shape with HLC because it was a really awesome and unique size/shape combo.

Expand Quote

[close]

This is the previous standard 8.25 wknd mold on top of the scumco team. It's a little flatter, a little longer (31.75) and slightly less square. The new wknd shape guide lists the regular 8.25 as 32 now so I don't know if they changed that or it's just measured with the concave. You can definitely still find them though, or if you don't mind a 14wb and rounder shape you can get the new boards in the 8.25CT shape.

I would definitely recommend the 8.25 quasi shape as well. It's a little mellower than the wknd concave wise but the tail angle is similar to the scumco and it has a really nice full squarish-round shape.

That wknd nose looks nice. I do really like quasi. I had one 8.25 that was nice then one I got online that was too steep with a ramp nose . I like wide kicks I don’t care if they’re rounded or square just that there’s room there. I like that the scumco team deck is kinda shaped like an exclamation point. Pretty tapered.

Here’s my scumcos compared with others

https://www.instagram.com/pantherface420/

A lot of people suggested different trucks. It’s a good idea and I should consider it. I just really like the thunder 147 and I’ve never really liked a truck that much before. I’m at my limit with them skating 8.25. I was thinking of maybe getting a 8.25 axel truck and see how the feels then size up.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 390
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2020, 08:09:43 PM »
DOA Flat as Fuck

Dammit I want another doa now

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2020, 08:45:38 PM »
All those decks posted still look like they have more concave and steeper kicks than half the BBS boards I have right now, more so in the 8.38 size than any other as that is what I ride, but I know I have some others that even I find too mellow.

In some that I have maybe 10+ of the same board, I sort them from mellow to steep and can really see the differences in the angle of kicks when I line them all up, so can pick from that what I am feeling at the time.

That might also be an issue to some people, because if you got one board you like, then try to find another, it might not be the same concave.

For some reason almost all the 8.25 sizes have a lot more concave, the 8.38 and 8.4 are often more mellow, then a few other smaller boards always feel very small and flat to me, like most of the 8 but the 8.12 eagle and 8.18 have a fair bit more on average.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2020, 10:40:50 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I’ve got an older scumco that I never really got along with: Downey, kiddie pool, pink tail, picture of a tortoise and then a small side wrap....anyways, set it up again, this time with 147 hollow light hangers and some 149 cast plates (not sure if this is a good call because 147s and down, are a different truck to 148 and up, but I love cast and hate forged and didn’t want to buy another truck). Aaaaaaaanyways.....if I could find a scumco that was 8” or less and 14”, mellow I’d be stoked. They are such a sick company. Not sure what this would is, pretty sure it’s not ps. It’s pretty darn flat. Chill.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2020, 11:42:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Plan B
Baker
[close]

The one I have on hand is the Joslin 'sliced' deck (multi stain wolverine claws).

Took this a while back: Top to Bottom (all rear truck holes lined up so we're seeing tails)

SC VX
Almost R7 (steep kicks mellow cave)
Primitive
Plan B

The almost and plan b are about the same concave, but the plan b kicks are soooooooo mellow (and short @6.5" super fun, everything else is 6.6"+); the primitive is a weird beast, it's only deep right after the rear trucks or before the front, pretty mellow in the middle..it kind of locks you in if you land bolts.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2020, 12:02:26 PM by Xen »

90sDamiano

• Rep: -82
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2020, 09:18:33 AM »
I got the scumco team broadcast deck. It’s my favorite deck I’ve ever had. It’s verry very mellow. Nearly flat concave. Super mellow nose and tail. Most decks have very steep noses and I hate it. I tried the baker og but it feels like the kicks are lower to the ground than the middle of the deck. It’s weird. I’m just looking for the flattest mellowest decks. Any suggestions?
Palace
Any dwindle flat/mellow concave
Girl/chocolate (I’m on a g023 rn that is nice and flat)
Toy machine/foundation
Thank you

DSM boards tend to be like this but honestly if you don’t have it in hand it could be one of those steep ones.
Toy and foundations that are PS usually are flat like you described. If it’s a bbs one it will not be as flat. I love flat decks as well. Hopefully this helps

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2020, 09:22:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Plan B
Baker
[close]

[close]

The one I have on hand is the Joslin 'sliced' deck (multi stain wolverine claws).

Took this a while back: Top to Bottom (all rear truck holes lined up so we're seeing tails)

SC VX
Almost R7 (steep kicks mellow cave)
Primitive
Plan B

The almost and plan b are about the same concave, but the plan b kicks are soooooooo mellow (and short @6.5" super fun, everything else is 6.6"+); the primitive is a weird beast, it's only deep right after the rear trucks or before the front, pretty mellow in the middle..it kind of locks you in if you land bolts.

That plan b concave and kick angle looks so so so good.

spanyard

• Rep: 77
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2022, 07:58:25 PM »
Hesitant to revive this old thread, but I was wondering if anyone can confirm skate mental as having mellow/flatter kicks? I stepped on a buddy's 8 (I think?) and it felt great -popped a nollie to check out the nose angle - but felt sheepish skating on it for too long. I know they're supposedly BBS, but wondering if they use a different mold other than the usual runs like dlx...started to daydream about setting one up with 5.2 Lo's and 51 classics...

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2022, 10:49:44 PM »
Hesitant to revive this old thread, but I was wondering if anyone can confirm skate mental as having mellow/flatter kicks? I stepped on a buddy's 8 (I think?) and it felt great -popped a nollie to check out the nose angle - but felt sheepish skating on it for too long. I know they're supposedly BBS, but wondering if they use a different mold other than the usual runs like dlx...started to daydream about setting one up with 5.2 Lo's and 51 classics...

Depends on how old it is. Their switch to BBS is relatively recent so there's still skate mentals on the market from clutch and I've even seen some of the PGI ones still floating around, so it might not be a BBS. The PGI boards are flat as all hell, I never skated one of the clutch ones.

If it is bbs they'll be using something different from the big guys like dlx/bakerboys, they have their own molds and shapes. If I'm remembering right Koston may have had custom molds for numbers (they definitely had non standard dims), so if it's not just your standard medium bbs popsicle maybe they're using those? I think they were pretty steep though it's been a few years since I saw one.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2022, 09:11:06 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Depends on how old it is. Their switch to BBS is relatively recent so there's still skate mentals on the market from clutch and I've even seen some of the PGI ones still floating around, so it might not be a BBS. The PGI boards are flat as all hell, I never skated one of the clutch ones.

If it is bbs they'll be using something different from the big guys like dlx/bakerboys, they have their own molds and shapes. If I'm remembering right Koston may have had custom molds for numbers (they definitely had non standard dims), so if it's not just your standard medium bbs popsicle maybe they're using those? I think they were pretty steep though it's been a few years since I saw one.

Nah they use combo of bone stock BBS shapes:

The 14" WB are the BBS short generics used be several brands in 8-8.25.

8.38 and up are the standard shapes. Occasionally there is an 8.25x14.25 generic shape. The exceptions are the 8.4, which is indistinguishable from the Anti Hero 8.4x14.25, and then 8.5 Koston shape which is identical to the Blue Eagle. Measured all of them and put em on top of each other.

My new deck that I am skating tomorrow is an 8.38 Jake Anderson that is the same BBS shape that I've had 8 times this year. Also asked a team rider. They have shape numbers on their site, but in real life some of the decks measure different. Tactics is straight wrong about most of the dimensions including the one I've got.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #49 on: October 05, 2022, 12:26:39 AM »
What are the pros of skating really mellow boards?

fur lined sea

• Rep: 223
« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2022, 01:16:21 AM »
What are the pros of skating really mellow boards?

For me they make a lot of ledge tricks easier, tailslide and noseslide tricks seem comfier because they don't seesaw like a steep board might, especially when trying to flip out. Crooked grind tricks lock in with less effort. Basically they make me feel closer to the ledge and more secure in a way.

I hated my last flat board for flatground, however. Every flip trick was painful. 

I had this Scum Co Nicholson in an 8. Looked like it barely had a tail or nose. I've never had a board quite like it.
Globes Opinion made me depressed for years.

nosneb

• Rep: 78
« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2022, 06:52:24 AM »
Expand Quote
DOA Flat as Fuck

[close]

I’m pretty sure that’s standard mold.

Here is my flat as fuck

Expand Quote

[close]

rosemaryBB

• Rep: 26
« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2022, 08:41:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
DOA Flat as Fuck

[close]

Here is my flat as fuck

Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Anyone know generally what wheelbases are like on DOA boards? Lots on sale right now but no wb info - looking at the 8.38’s specifically if that helps

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 500
« Reply #53 on: November 17, 2022, 09:14:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
DOA Flat as Fuck

[close]

Here is my flat as fuck

Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

Anyone know generally what wheelbases are like on DOA boards? Lots on sale right now but no wb info - looking at the 8.38’s specifically if that helps

the 8's are 14", 8.25s are 14.25" and i think the 8.3*s are 14.25" as well
from a deck sticker -
8.375" width
32" length
14.25" wb
7" nose
6.75" tail

edit: just want to mention that as far as i know all the boards on the site right now are standard concave and not flat as fuck btw
« Last Edit: November 17, 2022, 10:15:49 AM by iw0 »

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2022, 02:34:53 PM »
With PS producing less and less, and I’ve never been able to get a doa flat…who makes mellow stuff?
It’s ‘funny’ that I used to bitch about pgi boards and now I’d be stoked to snag one.
bbs is the industry standard, but I really do not prefer the concave, that weird bend/swoop where the rails end and the kicks start, no thanks.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #55 on: November 17, 2022, 07:03:11 PM »
With PS producing less and less, and I’ve never been able to get a doa flat…who makes mellow stuff?
It’s ‘funny’ that I used to bitch about pgi boards and now I’d be stoked to snag one.
bbs is the industry standard, but I really do not prefer the concave, that weird bend/swoop where the rails end and the kicks start, no thanks.

PGI still exists and tons of smaller companies use them. There's no shortage of PS decks on the market either. They aren't really producing less (yet) from what I can tell, they're just overstocked because the market flooded out when all the overdue orders hit the market post-covid and the global economic downturn that accompanied Russia's invasion. Every shop owner I know is drowning in wood right now.

With PS wood there's a ton of different molds so If you can't go to a shop in person use socal or skate warehouse to check out the profile pic and find one that looks good. I like the one wknd uses for their CT shape a lot at the moment.

I dunno what size you skate but have a bunch of 8.25 flats if you want one. New or lightly used. Probably a dozen or so different graphics. Might have an 8.37 somewhere too.

rosemaryBB

• Rep: 26
« Reply #56 on: November 26, 2022, 06:15:20 PM »
Feel like this info warrants more than just posting in this thread that was basically dead until a week or so ago, but I messaged whoever runs the DOA insta to ask about what would happen to the presses for the Flat as Fucks and he said he’s trying to get Politic to pick up the torch, albeit under a different name most likely. Still bummed DOA is going under, but this is at least good news.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #57 on: November 26, 2022, 06:58:45 PM »
The doa guy is too sweet. I did jack shit to support. I like to buy my boards in person, and the shop I go to never had em. I should have ordered some flat as fucks. Blah blah. Kooked it.

FUBAR

• Rep: 231
« Reply #58 on: November 26, 2022, 07:50:02 PM »
I do hope someone keeps the flat as fucks going. I have an 8.3 on ice and have skated an 8.25 before that I loved.
I have my first (and prob last) regular concave DOA deck coming to try.

switchfakie

« Reply #59 on: November 27, 2022, 03:55:51 PM »
sour solution gustav tonnessen pro board is the absolute flattest board ive ever skated.

i absolutely fucking hated it bc i love eating cereal out of my concave, so you might like it