Author Topic: Super mellow decks like this  (Read 16476 times)

GBLange

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
Re: Super mellow decks like this
« Reply #60 on: November 28, 2022, 06:46:16 AM »
had a 8.5 dan plunkett skatemental board that was pretty mellow compared to a Wknd / FA / Polar of the same 8.5".

fernando the skater

• Rep: 88
« Reply #61 on: December 18, 2022, 01:24:59 PM »

Saw this photograph earlier and initially thought it was a freestyle deck. From earlier, flatter days.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #62 on: December 18, 2022, 04:17:47 PM »

Standing on boards from back in the day now are often terrible when compared to your normal concave boards.

Virtually no concave across the board and very mellow flat kicks, which might suit some people but all up they broke easily and skated average at best.

I think I definitely have better memories of skating back then, when compared to actually standing on or skating a board from that era.

Everyone is different though, but I find mellowing out modern boards works best, eg parking on the kicks of mellow concave BBS wood and flattening them out and they skate fine and feel way more comfortable.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

FUBAR

• Rep: 231
« Reply #63 on: December 18, 2022, 04:44:29 PM »
I gotta vouch for the above trick…shit works.

Tre

• Rep: 4
« Reply #64 on: December 20, 2022, 06:01:44 PM »
Sk8mafia makes a pretty flat/mellow deck. Also sour (I think S1 shape)

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 390
« Reply #65 on: December 21, 2022, 08:41:35 AM »
I have a roger that feels crazy flat compared to the Uma I was just on

El Freegano

• Rep: 217

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
« Reply #67 on: May 25, 2023, 02:45:46 AM »

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
« Reply #68 on: May 27, 2023, 07:54:40 AM »

Badandoldskater

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 31
« Reply #69 on: May 27, 2023, 08:00:18 AM »
Waiting on the politic flat boards coming next month or so so

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #70 on: May 27, 2023, 09:40:52 AM »
Waiting on the politic flat boards coming next month or so so

If you skate 8.25 I have some DOA flats

nosneb

• Rep: 78
« Reply #71 on: May 27, 2023, 07:31:02 PM »
Mini logo 😍

Fifty8mm

• Rep: 124
« Reply #72 on: May 27, 2023, 08:28:27 PM »
Expand Quote
v=LjNt5iGhNwI
[close]

Steve is the man. Best, most honest dude in skateboarding.
Fletch is the best.
DOA was the best thing ever to come out in a long long time.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #73 on: June 03, 2023, 05:46:08 PM »

As per other discussions in Woodshop thread, if anyone can help with actual dimensions, it would be interesting to see / hear.

Previous posts:

I get that there would be varying degrees of what people call mellow, or even flat boards, but do you guys have some dimensions or list of info that would help anyone determine what you would consider mellow / flat boards?

Just trying to get some sort of gauge as to what you are talking about here, certainly not trying to start a fight or cause drama, but every time I ask for measurements, none are forthcoming.

As I posted earlier on what I would call a mellow Krooked board I have, an 8.38 the middle of the board concave rise was about 5 mm (usually more like 7 - 8 mm) and the angle of kicks was 17 on the nose and 16 on the tail, usually more like 22 nose, 21 tail for the average DLX boards, even the IV stamp, with a I stamp in 8.38 being 9 mm rise and 24 degrees nose and 23 degrees tail.  From that alone this board is way more mellow than other boards in the same category, but I personally would not be calling it "flat" just "mellow concave" when compared to most.

The 1996 Real 8.25 has about 4 - 5 mm concave and about 15 degrees kicks, with the 1998 World Industries deck that measures about 7.6 having 3 - 4 mm concave and similarly 15 degrees in the kicks.  Those two even just look flat and standing on them is another story compared to any modern board I have from any woodshop, but they still have more concave than some others that people might be posting, eg a 7.5 Girl board I had seen once was like nothing I recall, almost zero concave across and only the slightest inclination in the kicks too, but it was so beat to death and worn down I would imagine there was a bit more to it when new.

I also understand that the smaller a board is, the more mellow / flat it is going to seem, so something of 7.5 is always going to seem flatter than something of 8.25 or bigger, even with the mellow mold or flat presses that some companies use.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #74 on: June 03, 2023, 05:46:52 PM »

In terms of woodshops / brands, I don't have access to DOA boards, but from what everyone says they have the flattest.

I have some PGI wood which definitely felt very flat overall in the 8 and 8.125, even in the wider 8.5 size boards, but I would still only consider that mellow.

Most others including BBS, PS Stix, Clutch, Control, are anywhere from middle ground, sometimes more mellow, sometimes steeper, but others like Pennswood, Dwindle, even some other China made boards were steeper than average overall.

Most others I have identified from the woodshop list feel on the steeper side to me too, that is kicks more than 20 degrees and deeper concave, the one exception being most Powell boards now, but they just feel weird to me, sort of like everything is a bit off any time I stand on one.

Some HLC boards I have feel very flat through the concave, but have more medium angle kicks, on the Plan B and Sk8 Mafia boards that came through my hands, in 8 and 8.25 sizes.

Others like Watson and Prime decks are only the old school shaped boards and although they are very mellow, I don't count them in the same way a normal popsicle board would be, given they are reissues or boards that are meant to be like the 80s or early 90s boards.

If those decks were reshaped into popsicles of 8 to 8.25 they would definitely be flat, as per the 1996 and 1998 boards I have, which seem like they were made from those similar molds, so that would be the closest to what people generally call flat boards now.

Fifty8mm

• Rep: 124
« Reply #75 on: June 03, 2023, 06:02:18 PM »
Palace/DSM have flat rails, the kicks are steeper than most boards out there.

I have a PS stix Jovontae reissue 7.5  that is flat as fuck. Flat kicks and rails. Flatter than any DOA.

Doa flat as fuck was flat but had more concave than than the ps stix reissue.

Flattest board i have is a Sheffey Bull dog board. 

Sour boards are not flat. Even the low concave has steeper rails than palace 7.75 shape. The kicks are on the flatter side but not as flat as the two 7.5 girls i have or DOAs.

As of Right now the only real flat option is mini logo per DOA Steve and Nosneb. And those 2 mfrs are picky as fuck

hiljentaa

• Rep: 282
« Reply #76 on: June 03, 2023, 06:18:06 PM »
Just got in a Mini Logo 8 and Powell 8.25.

The Mini Logo 8 is wonderfully mellow. Quite short at ~31.375" but the tail is long enough for me at 6.5.

The Powell 8.25 compared to a a Baker OG 8.25 feels about the same in kick steepness, but the Baker feels flatter in concave mostly because the rails are sanded way more round compared to the Powell.

I sprung for a Flight 8 during the Skateone sale. Really excited to get to that one eventually.

nosneb

« Reply #77 on: June 04, 2023, 02:13:27 PM »

Tom Pearl

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
« Reply #78 on: June 04, 2023, 03:41:59 PM »

and now i'm nerding out with my measuring tape

i just watched that whole thing in one sitting for some reason and i dont even like mellow boards

nosneb

« Reply #79 on: June 04, 2023, 04:55:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Point Dist decks
pink one is a DGK but the same size
The other one is PointDist (whom I'm pretty sure get wood from china if that matters to you)

A literal plank.
I can't really give a fair review, because overall I hated the lack of concave so much. I rode it, just because I bought it. Mannies were on point. I was doing shuv nose manny variations easily.
[close]

Damn that is like what I’m looking for. My scumco looked like that compared to other decks

Fletschinger

• Rep: 47
« Reply #80 on: June 04, 2023, 06:20:24 PM »
If you can get them looking like “on sale ikea furniture” and ride 8” and lower, get a mini logo.  Id say Powell but neither seem to have dyed wood so it’s the same deck.  I recently tried an 8” flight deck and it measures 8.1 which bummed me out, but also a good mellow deck and super light. (Also has the black fiberglass top so you don’t see natural wood)

hiljentaa

• Rep: 282
« Reply #81 on: June 05, 2023, 10:59:41 AM »
If you can get them looking like “on sale ikea furniture” and ride 8” and lower, get a mini logo.  Id say Powell but neither seem to have dyed wood so it’s the same deck.  I recently tried an 8” flight deck and it measures 8.1 which bummed me out, but also a good mellow deck and super light. (Also has the black fiberglass top so you don’t see natural wood)

I got the same Flight 8 as you, the Salman Agah graphic. The one I got measures 8.0625 and has dyed plies. Pretty decent for Powell graphics.

Excited to eventually skate it- always been curious about 'tech' boards but never had anything but a 7-ply maple board.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #82 on: June 05, 2023, 02:59:33 PM »

how’d it feel? the flight deck.

i’m kinda into this feeling i’m getting about possibly buying a powell board for the flatness, sorta perverted.
i’m at a point where there aren’t many companies that get me interested, sooo fuck it.

the new deal that benson posted looks like ideal concave

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #83 on: June 05, 2023, 05:49:33 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

how’d it feel? the flight deck.

i’m kinda into this feeling i’m getting about possibly buying a powell board for the flatness, sorta perverted.
i’m at a point where there aren’t many companies that get me interested, sooo fuck it.

the new deal that benson posted looks like ideal concave

The thing that got me when I tried a few flight boards from various people was how flexible the board was right from go, when compared to any normal seven ply wood board.

They had so much more flex, but in a different way, so not entirely bad, although some people call it bad, but it was just different to skate, that's for sure.

Because of that, the flight boards felt way flatter than they were, or should I say more mellow in the kicks than they were, because body weight pushing down from one guy made it look like the tail ended up almost flat in line with the board when he pumped on the ramp or went to pop and mis timed it.

If you can stand on one anywhere first, it is a whole different experience, so some people like it and some don't.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #84 on: June 05, 2023, 05:59:46 PM »

I went back through and pulled the pics I had taken of the two 90s boards.  Should have taken more comparison pics too, but I still have them so it is easy enough to do that if I need to.

Might have posted these before, but here are the lot of pics anyway, for anyone interested.

*  Found the other post I had made too:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=120185.msg3991456#msg3991456

Board 1

Real Skate R team (1996)

8.25 x 32 with a 14.25 wheelbase

Indy Stage 7s
Spitfire 60mm wheels
Lucky bolts, risers and bearings

Board 2

World Industries Kopycat Lorenzo (1998)

7.625 x 31.1 with 14.0 wheelbase

Indy Stage 8s
World 56mm wheels

Graphic view
Top view
End view
Kick, with deck bolt in showing lots of flat before kick on the World board
Side of Real board
Last frame, comparison with the steepest DLX board I have in the stack, to really emphasize the difference in the 1996 deck compared to the modern concave.

Graphic view

1996 Real 8.25 board (team hydrant graphic)
1998 World Industries 7.6 board (Enrique Lorenzo)

Top view

End view

Side of Real board

Last frame, comparison with the steepest DLX board I have in the stack, to really emphasize the difference in the 1996 deck compared to the modern concave.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2023, 06:10:12 PM by Mbrimson88 »

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #85 on: June 05, 2023, 09:51:37 PM »

I went back through and pulled the pics I had taken of the two 90s boards.  Should have taken more comparison pics too, but I still have them so it is easy enough to do that if I need to.

Might have posted these before, but here are the lot of pics anyway, for anyone interested.

*  Found the other post I had made too:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=120185.msg3991456#msg3991456

Board 1

Real Skate R team (1996)

8.25 x 32 with a 14.25 wheelbase

Indy Stage 7s
Spitfire 60mm wheels
Lucky bolts, risers and bearings

Board 2

World Industries Kopycat Lorenzo (1998)

7.625 x 31.1 with 14.0 wheelbase

Indy Stage 8s
World 56mm wheels

Graphic view
Top view
End view
Side of Real board

Graphic view

1996 Real 8.25 board (team hydrant graphic)
1998 World Industries 7.6 board (Enrique Lorenzo)

Top view

End view

Side of Real board

thanks! your side by side pics are helpful. the last pic show what i don’t like about bbs, that swoop. i understand it makes the board stiffer/last longer, but i do not like the pop, or the feel.
wish those flat boards were coming back
« Last Edit: June 06, 2023, 05:33:04 AM by Ok »

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #86 on: June 06, 2023, 05:29:59 AM »
Palace/DSM have flat rails, the kicks are steeper than most boards out there.

I have a PS stix Jovontae reissue 7.5  that is flat as fuck. Flat kicks and rails. Flatter than any DOA.

Doa flat as fuck was flat but had more concave than than the ps stix reissue.

Flattest board i have is a Sheffey Bull dog board. 

Sour boards are not flat. Even the low concave has steeper rails than palace 7.75 shape. The kicks are on the flatter side but not as flat as the two 7.5 girls i have or DOAs.

As of Right now the only real flat option is mini logo per DOA Steve and Nosneb. And those 2 mfrs are picky as fuck

There's flat boards but you have to know where to find them and it varies by size...PS has at least 2 flat molds that they regularly use though. The toy machine "mellow" 8.25 is one of the flattest boards you'll find in regular rotation and some other companies use it as well...I have a couple PS stix scumcos on it that I have stashed. If it wasn't 14.5 wb I'd probably have a stack of just toy machine decks. Not sure if it was a one-off but I've seen 8.12s out of that mold from someone too, I wanna say WKND maybe. There's definitely flat options out of China too, I've had PGI decks that were really flat as well. If you're cool with a little bit of hips or "swoosh" or 🥄 as some people call it then you can get into some of the other woodshops like Pennswood silver spoon or hlc s1 or dwindle mellow kick (if you can find one). The only thing about the silver spoon is I'm pretty sure the tail is steeper than the nose, or at least that's how it feels.

If you go to the shop and start pulling everything off the wall and actually getting down at eye level or measuring it you might be surprised what you find. I think pretty much every woodshop has a mellow/flat mold, most just don't use them very often.

Tale Crab

• Rep: 350
« Reply #87 on: June 06, 2023, 05:07:53 PM »
There's flat boards but you have to know where to find them and it varies by size...PS has at least 2 flat molds that they regularly use though. The toy machine "mellow" 8.25 is one of the flattest boards you'll find in regular rotation and some other companies use it as well...I have a couple PS stix scumcos on it that I have stashed. If it wasn't 14.5 wb I'd probably have a stack of just toy machine decks. Not sure if it was a one-off but I've seen 8.12s out of that mold from someone too, I wanna say WKND maybe.
I emailed WKND a few weeks back and they told me that their 8.25CS is on the mellower PS101 mold, which I assume is what Toy Machine is using for their flatter stuff. Toy Machine never got back to me on my question regarding their molds, so I've been hesitant in ordering a stack of boards across the water without knowing for sure.
It's a huge bummer how these boards have become marginal as they've made way for the steep-nosed variety. I understand the remarks that the steeper PS boards sell well as shown by FA, Quasi, GX1000, WKND etc., but you you also can't buy what's not available. I'm sure a lot of mellow board lovers settle for DLX stack number IV boards because it can be a hassle to track down the mellow PS ones.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #88 on: June 06, 2023, 06:00:13 PM »
Expand Quote
There's flat boards but you have to know where to find them and it varies by size...PS has at least 2 flat molds that they regularly use though. The toy machine "mellow" 8.25 is one of the flattest boards you'll find in regular rotation and some other companies use it as well...I have a couple PS stix scumcos on it that I have stashed. If it wasn't 14.5 wb I'd probably have a stack of just toy machine decks. Not sure if it was a one-off but I've seen 8.12s out of that mold from someone too, I wanna say WKND maybe.
[close]
I emailed WKND a few weeks back and they told me that their 8.25CS is on the mellower PS101 mold, which I assume is what Toy Machine is using for their flatter stuff. Toy Machine never got back to me on my question regarding their molds, so I've been hesitant in ordering a stack of boards across the water without knowing for sure.
It's a huge bummer how these boards have become marginal as they've made way for the steep-nosed variety. I understand the remarks that the steeper PS boards sell well as shown by FA, Quasi, GX1000, WKND etc., but you you also can't buy what's not available. I'm sure a lot of mellow board lovers settle for DLX stack number IV boards because it can be a hassle to track down the mellow PS ones.

i looked at some toy machine boards recently, were not ps, were not flat.
i’m always on the lookout for a flat 8, the last good one was a meow. cool. i’ve had a fair amount of quasi decks that were mellow, enough.
hope you find what you’re after

theloniousmonk

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 275
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #89 on: June 06, 2023, 06:18:32 PM »
I’ve also been enjoying the ps mellow boards lately, and will say that the jeron Wilson 8.25“power og” deck is On that mellow ps concave. It’s supposed to be a gO52 but the tail is 6.5 because it’s not girl wood. I love that concave and find that I like the flexibility of the ps nanotubes before they die