Author Topic: Super mellow decks like this  (Read 16846 times)

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 848
Re: Super mellow decks like this
« Reply #90 on: June 07, 2023, 03:46:29 AM »
I’ve also been enjoying the ps mellow boards lately, and will say that the jeron Wilson 8.25“power og” deck is On that mellow ps concave. It’s supposed to be a gO52 but the tail is 6.5 because it’s not girl wood. I love that concave and find that I like the flexibility of the ps nanotubes before they die

I sometimes wonder whether crail regrets getting themselves tied up in a Chinese woodshop the way they did. The Mexican woodshops have done a really good job of minimizing or eliminating the competitive advantage China has. They sure seem to jump at any excuse to go back to riding the professors wood.

Not sure about the Jeron one because Im a skinny white guy and theres no way I could rock that graphic and not look like a chode, but I had some of the other boards from that mini PS run. I think the bannerot was one of the ones where the tail is steeper than the nose, is that Jeron deck like that?

I have one of the jovantae/Carroll 7.5 reissue on the 90s mold and it's crazy mellow and flat enough to eat off. I like some of the stuff that comes out of the slightly spoony PS molds too, the scumco Evan Smith guest boards were amazing and the WKND CT shape is a good one if you like short decks and wbs. They can get pretty mellow if you get a bottom stacker.

For the Toy Machine stuff - they use like 4 woodshops and each woodshop has it's own set of molds so it's best to look at them in person or hit up a friendly shop owner and ask if it's a PS (make sure it has the sn, some of the bbs and Chinese boards are laser engraved too) and for detailed pics before buying. Skate warehouse puts up good pics including profile shots so keep an eye on that if you're in the states, they usually have a decent selection of Toy stuff. Tumyeto usually lists the concave on their site but the way I typically identify the really flat stock shape is the oddball dimensions - 8.25" x 31.5" 14.5" wb. Keep an eye out for that and go in for a closer look if you see it.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #91 on: June 07, 2023, 06:10:31 AM »
Expand Quote
I’ve also been enjoying the ps mellow boards lately, and will say that the jeron Wilson 8.25“power og” deck is On that mellow ps concave. It’s supposed to be a gO52 but the tail is 6.5 because it’s not girl wood. I love that concave and find that I like the flexibility of the ps nanotubes before they die
[close]

I sometimes wonder whether crail regrets getting themselves tied up in a Chinese woodshop the way they did. The Mexican woodshops have done a really good job of minimizing or eliminating the competitive advantage China has. They sure seem to jump at any excuse to go back to riding the professors wood.

Not sure about the Jeron one because Im a skinny white guy and theres no way I could rock that graphic and not look like a chode, but I had some of the other boards from that mini PS run. I think the bannerot was one of the ones where the tail is steeper than the nose, is that Jeron deck like that?

I have one of the jovantae/Carroll 7.5 reissue on the 90s mold and it's crazy mellow and flat enough to eat off. I like some of the stuff that comes out of the slightly spoony PS molds too, the scumco Evan Smith guest boards were amazing and the WKND CT shape is a good one if you like short decks and wbs. They can get pretty mellow if you get a bottom stacker.

For the Toy Machine stuff - they use like 4 woodshops and each woodshop has it's own set of molds so it's best to look at them in person or hit up a friendly shop owner and ask if it's a PS (make sure it has the sn, some of the bbs and Chinese boards are laser engraved too) and for detailed pics before buying. Skate warehouse puts up good pics including profile shots so keep an eye on that if you're in the states, they usually have a decent selection of Toy stuff. Tumyeto usually lists the concave on their site but the way I typically identify the really flat stock shape is the oddball dimensions - 8.25" x 31.5" 14.5" wb. Keep an eye out for that and go in for a closer look if you see it.

i wish crail did more ps boards. or even pgi. the current wood lasts a long time, and i know that is the most important thing to every squeaky wheel consumer…boards need to last 4 months, trucks 3 years, or people
start whining.
i hate it.
from a waste perspective i like that things last longer. from a skate perspective, no. i broke a shilo great house board after an hour, and i dream fondly about that board 25 years later. it was really good until it broke.
and yes to whomever above the concave does make
boards last longer, and maybe stiffer.
the flex of the nanotubes gives more performance tho

ulpsb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 4
« Reply #92 on: July 13, 2023, 09:45:40 AM »
Hey, anyone have any good leads on boards with mellow kicks like powell/minilogo but that actually have concave?

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #93 on: July 13, 2023, 12:55:57 PM »
Hey, anyone have any good leads on boards with mellow kicks like powell/minilogo but that actually have concave?

I feel like the Ishod shape is kinda like this, but it’s a twin/symmetrical mold, so it’s likely a bit different than what you’re looking for…

ulpsb

« Reply #94 on: July 13, 2023, 01:14:17 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I feel like the Ishod shape is kinda like this, but it’s a twin/symmetrical mold, so it’s likely a bit different than what you’re looking for…

Ah yea but that wheelbase is prob 14 3/8? Thanks anyway tho appreciate the answer

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #95 on: July 14, 2023, 02:21:38 AM »

PS has a couple molds that fit that description. The WKND CT one is the first that comes to mind, though that's a very short 8.25 so it takes some adjusting.

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1239
« Reply #96 on: July 14, 2023, 04:04:51 AM »
current deck is fairly flat

8.5 snack krebs vision, pretty sure its ps stix

Bill Salt

« Reply #97 on: July 14, 2023, 05:21:42 AM »
mellow is whack and loose truck don't save lives neither.

ulpsb

« Reply #98 on: July 14, 2023, 06:18:40 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

PS has a couple molds that fit that description. The WKND CT one is the first that comes to mind, though that's a very short 8.25 so it takes some adjusting.

I've been riding the deluxe true fits with 13.8 wb haha so im good with short.. I just don't like the kicks on them.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #99 on: July 14, 2023, 04:32:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I've been riding the deluxe true fits with 13.8 wb haha so im good with short.. I just don't like the kicks on them.

true fit was too steep for me, but i like flat, and mellow, and those were not that

Daewons front truck

• Rep: 30
« Reply #100 on: July 15, 2023, 03:14:13 PM »
mellow is whack and loose truck don't save lives neither.

Ahh, I always find it funny when someone finds something that doesn't fit their personal preference stupid, lame or "whack." It's as if their experience is the only one that matters and what works for you most be the answer for the whole world! Personally, I dislike mellow boards but I don't think they "wack" they certainly serve a purpose. Although it may hurt the skating ability for you and I it may very well take someone else's skating to the next level.. Now, with that being said BLVD has some pretty damn mellow shapes. As mentioned girl and chocolate also have some pretty mellow concave but some also have steeper kicks.

hiljentaa

• Rep: 313
« Reply #101 on: July 28, 2023, 07:06:15 PM »
Have had my Mini Logo 8" setup for about 7 weeks now. Still love this thing. Not soggy feeling at all.

I really love the 8" shape because the nose is only ~.25" longer than the tail. I am a horrendous switch/nollie skater, but that smaller difference seems to help me.

I have the Flight 8" to skate next, but I feel guilty setting it up when this board still has a week or two of life left in it.

Tom Pearl

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 202
« Reply #102 on: July 28, 2023, 07:46:06 PM »
i just got a 8.125 ps stix gx1000 and it's super flat

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #103 on: July 29, 2023, 12:26:08 AM »
i just got a 8.125 ps stix gx1000 and it's super flat

Yeah the 8.12 gx/quasi mold can come out really flat if you get bottom stackers, especially in the tail. Really, stack position and press settings probably have as much to do with how your board feels as the mold so it's always been kinda weird to me that only dlx and pennswood seem to care about it.

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
« Reply #104 on: July 29, 2023, 12:35:28 AM »
Have had my Mini Logo 8" setup for about 7 weeks now. Still love this thing. Not soggy feeling at all.

I really love the 8" shape because the nose is only ~.25" longer than the tail. I am a horrendous switch/nollie skater, but that smaller difference seems to help me.

I have the Flight 8" to skate next, but I feel guilty setting it up when this board still has a week or two of life left in it.

I'm skating the same deck, what trucks and wheels you skating?

ulpsb

« Reply #105 on: July 29, 2023, 06:07:23 AM »

That's kind of exactly what brought me here. I have the 8" non flight powell 242 shape. Prob the same as the mini logo. I love the mellow kicks of this mold and that's the nose and tail are very similar.
 I just feel that the lack of concave doesn't carry your feet as well while in the air. It's a me problem but I feel like I would be a little more consistent with my flip tricks. I liked everything else about it. 14" wheelbase etc..
 I just had 1 issue,  the qc. This board was horrible when it showed up, like the dude who routed and sanded the board was on his 1st day of work never doing this. The rails were completely crooked and almost squared at points. Like heroin razor edge but by accident and bad haha. But that shit is gone after a session or two so it's been been. Just never got a board with that bad of qc before. Also have never had a powell in my 20something years of skating...
 The newer royal ultralights left alone but couple turns in. Back n forth between 51mm spitfire tablets and 52 bones v3slims.

hiljentaa

• Rep: 313
« Reply #106 on: July 29, 2023, 07:51:40 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I'm skating the same deck, what trucks and wheels you skating?

Venture 5.2 Lights and 52>49mm F4 Classics.

Just realized last night how small the wheels have gotten. Going to put some 52s on when I setup the Flight.

Expand Quote

[close]

That's kind of exactly what brought me here. I have the 8" non flight powell 242 shape. Prob the same as the mini logo. I love the mellow kicks of this mold and that's the nose and tail are very similar.
 I just feel that the lack of concave doesn't carry your feet as well while in the air. It's a me problem but I feel like I would be a little more consistent with my flip tricks. I liked everything else about it. 14" wheelbase etc..
 I just had 1 issue,  the qc. This board was horrible when it showed up, like the dude who routed and sanded the board was on his 1st day of work never doing this. The rails were completely crooked and almost squared at points. Like heroin razor edge but by accident and bad haha. But that shit is gone after a session or two so it's been been. Just never got a board with that bad of qc before. Also have never had a powell in my 20something years of skating...
 The newer royal ultralights left alone but couple turns in. Back n forth between 51mm spitfire tablets and 52 bones v3slims.

The Mini Logos and non-Flight Powells are the same as far as I understand. The rails on mine are pretty square as well, but that doesn't bother me at all. Can't say they were routed or sanded unevenly at all.

Overall, psyched that I know I like these $35 boards when some stuff is $70+ these days.

nosneb

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 90
« Reply #107 on: July 31, 2023, 10:13:30 PM »

This is mellow. Thread/

Thebird

• Rep: 158
« Reply #108 on: January 04, 2024, 07:08:45 PM »
I've seen Scumco mentioned in here.  I'm thinking about trying them out next.  Anyone know the wheelbase and length on the 8.125 and 8.0?

theloniousmonk

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #109 on: January 04, 2024, 07:13:58 PM »

This is mellow. Thread/
Hey @nosneb what deck is this?

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #110 on: January 04, 2024, 08:02:11 PM »
I've seen Scumco mentioned in here.  I'm thinking about trying them out next.  Anyone know the wheelbase and length on the 8.125 and 8.0?

It depends which woodshop, as they had changed a bit.

Last info had them on Control (2023), with some on BBS and PS Stix, but that was a while back now.

I would likely want to check a board in person more so than buying without looking at it, unless you will most likely be happy any which way.

Thebird

« Reply #111 on: January 04, 2024, 08:26:03 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Last info had them on Control (2023), with some on BBS and PS Stix, but that was a while back now.

I would likely want to check a board in person more so than buying without looking at it, unless you will most likely be happy any which way.

Yeah, I was specifically checking out the PS ones they have on their site.  Curious about the shapes and dimensions.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #112 on: January 05, 2024, 02:01:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yeah, I was specifically checking out the PS ones they have on their site.  Curious about the shapes and dimensions.

I had a look and couldn't find anything anywhere, so you might have to message them about the specific boards.

Interesting they have PS Stix now, with some Pennswood boards too, currently on their site.  I put up more detailed info in the Woodshop thread, but nothing to help with sizes though.

Thebird

« Reply #113 on: January 05, 2024, 06:04:11 PM »
Good deal, thanks.  I emailed them.  I'm really interested in their boards - interested to hear the dimensions.