Author Topic: Adidas Closing Shop Accounts  (Read 22734 times)

Garth Marenghi

Re: Adidas Closing Shop Accounts
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2020, 11:47:08 AM »
Not gonna shed a single tear for any shop who supported Nike or Adidas. That's what you get for jumping on the jock train.

Even if the market forces a shop to jump on said jock train to survive?

Glurmpz

« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2020, 11:50:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Not gonna shed a single tear for any shop who supported Nike or Adidas. That's what you get for jumping on the jock train.
[close]

That's not a thing, so it's not relevant. You don't have to sell sport brand shoes to survive as a shop. And if your shop is gonna die because the only thing people buy from you is sport brand shoes, your shop sucks, period.

tkp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 532
    • swarm life avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.

offkilter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2020, 11:52:14 AM »
I'm just going to start wearing 6 layers of socks

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -238
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2020, 11:54:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Gnarly.

The problem is not only that Nike and Adidas only had superficial ties to the scene... but the "core" companies took us for granted. They assumed shit they had done in the past or the fact their owners were once skaters should account for their lazy attitudes towards the scene and their low quality price point shit.

I'm just not going to wear shoes anymore.
[close]

Agree with all of this. I was riding Lakai only but I had 3 pairs in a row that I suspected of treason (AKA bad quality). That and the sizing felt different on all 3 (it was the same model). This led me to buying the corporate brands.
Love the gif in your sig
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

Garth Marenghi

« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2020, 11:56:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

That's not a thing, so it's not relevant. You don't have to sell sport brand shoes to survive as a shop. And if your shop is gonna die because the only thing people buy from you is sport brand shoes, your shop sucks, period.

Sure! That's one, albeit myopic way of looking at it.

notmikerusczyk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 289
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2020, 12:00:56 PM »
Expand Quote
yall hate on new balance but they sure as hell wouldn't pull shit like this
[close]

yes they absolutely would, what are you talking about? new balance runs their shit just like every other show company, they aren't special
nbnumeric has one tiny little office in long beach separate from their corporate office on the east coast. it's a small group of dudes that run the skate program. yes, when it comes down to it new balance is still a corporate company, but as far as i know the dudes at the long beach office run the skate program with minimal/to no interference from corporate

Chris Hansen is back

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 781
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2020, 12:06:43 PM »
It's like CHAZ but for ugly ass shoes.

Hairy Ballsagna

• Rep: 32
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2020, 12:12:12 PM »
Looks like Adidas is gazelleing out.

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2020, 12:13:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
yall hate on new balance but they sure as hell wouldn't pull shit like this
[close]

yes they absolutely would, what are you talking about? new balance runs their shit just like every other show company, they aren't special
[close]
nbnumeric has one tiny little office in long beach separate from their corporate office on the east coast. it's a small group of dudes that run the skate program. yes, when it comes down to it new balance is still a corporate company, but as far as i know the dudes at the long beach office run the skate program with minimal/to no interference from corporate

So it sounds more likely that corporate would just shut down Numeric altogether if push came to shove, which also wouldn't be great.

homegrown83

• Rep: -83
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2020, 12:28:12 PM »
Not surprised. It's not like Adidas or Nike really cared about what happens to skateboarding anyways. It's just another revenue stream for them. Hell, Nike pulled out of the snowboard boot game when they realized that the difference in quality in snowboard boots was minimal and they couldn't dominate the scene. I never wore Adidas or Nike because I always felt like they weren't legitimate skate companies and was too embarrassed to wear them. Now, I'm sure they make amazing skate shoes and I've heard from many people that they are good, but I just never really cared. I'm not advocating people to buy core, but to just understand what these corporate brands are about: $$$$.

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 79
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2020, 12:30:53 PM »
From a business standpoint, selling/ shipping directly from their warehouses saves them thousands a year. Overall, it seems like retail stores are slowly disappearing anyway and focusing online so they're just following the trend.

I hate to say it but I haven't visited a local shop in atleast 5+ years. Only because there isn't one that isn't 40+ min west or east of me. I want to support but driving, sitting in traffic and then paying a premium just to support isn't worth it for me.

I do buy from a few shops online but then shipping costs are added in too meanwhile sites like tactics, ccs, zumiez, etc. offer free shipping for the most part. Also, buying directly from the brand website is usually cheaper too as they have sales often.

As we saw with mom and pop shops competing with Walmart, it's hard for small retail to survive unless they offer something different.

Tear Up a Trick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 113
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2020, 01:05:31 PM »

Cuban_Lynx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1431
  • I got the internet goin' nuts
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2020, 01:10:46 PM »
I wish Home had my size. 1/2 size small in the Nakels, but wouldn't wear those if they were free.

ndsr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 164
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2020, 01:17:02 PM »
this all points to one thing....

OSIRIS REVIVAL!!!!!
The STORM is a coming!!! 

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -199
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2020, 01:21:38 PM »
Nb about to blow up

MyUserName

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 178
« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2020, 01:26:02 PM »
I'm just going to start wearing 6 layers of socks

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2020, 01:32:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

That's not a thing, so it's not relevant. You don't have to sell sport brand shoes to survive as a shop. And if your shop is gonna die because the only thing people buy from you is sport brand shoes, your shop skate scene  sucks, period.

I agree with this. I think loyalty should be with your local and not a corporate company. My local is doing fine and only stock core shoes with the exception of nb. I’m good with this. If you thought Nike or adidas actually wanted to be a part of skateboarding for anything more than your money your naive. Fuck them stop supporting corporate companies that don’t give a fuck about it’s customers. you’re too concerned about being on trend. 

Mike Oxwelling

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2020, 01:36:30 PM »
Can't wait to skate those awesome shoes with the banana on the side made down the street from Nike.

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 365
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2020, 01:49:00 PM »
Don’t ever buy athletic footwear to skate in y’all; as the mighty Lordz once told us: they don’t give a fuck about us.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

Blueabyssofthisss

« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2020, 01:51:32 PM »
Don’t ever buy athletic footwear to skate in y’all; as the mighty Lordz once told us: they don’t give a fuck about us.
God bless William phan

Watson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2281
« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2020, 02:07:42 PM »
From a business standpoint, selling/ shipping directly from their warehouses saves them thousands a year. Overall, it seems like retail stores are slowly disappearing anyway and focusing online so they're just following the trend.

I hate to say it but I haven't visited a local shop in atleast 5+ years. Only because there isn't one that isn't 40+ min west or east of me. I want to support but driving, sitting in traffic and then paying a premium just to support isn't worth it for me.

I do buy from a few shops online but then shipping costs are added in too meanwhile sites like tactics, ccs, zumiez, etc. offer free shipping for the most part. Also, buying directly from the brand website is usually cheaper too as they have sales often.

As we saw with mom and pop shops competing with Walmart, it's hard for small retail to survive unless they offer something different.

You realize that you're actually the problem that you're talking about, right? Not wanting to drive 40 minutes there and back is understandable but not buying from a legit skateshop that has an online store because you may have to pay $15 extra in shipping is lame. Don't say "I hate to say it but..." if you have the option to support but don't. Be honest and start your blurb with "I'm a cheap fuck and....."

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2020, 02:21:07 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

You realize that you're actually the problem that you're talking about, right? Not wanting to drive 40 minutes there and back is understandable but not buying from a legit skateshop that has an online store because you may have to pay $15 extra in shipping is lame. Don't say "I hate to say it but..." if you have the option to support but don't. Be honest and start your blurb with "I'm a cheap fuck and....."

thanks watson, i was about to make a long ass post, agree 100%

FS_Overcrook

• Rep: 10
« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2020, 02:34:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

thanks watson, i was about to make a long ass post, agree 100%

Yes it does cost a little bit more in shipping, but most of the small shops are holding it down for scenes producing local videos, helping get kids into skating the right way, and putting most of that revenue towards rent/utilities and employing fellow skateboarders.

Any online sale from outside the scene goes a long way. I buy from small shops all the time and try to spread the love because I know those shops are going through a tough time and CCS/Zumiez/Skate Warehouse could care less about growing the local scene and keep kids skateboarding.

Chris Hansen is back

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 781
« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2020, 02:39:33 PM »
it's hard for small retail to survive unless they offer something different.

Oh, like a culture?

Cuban_Lynx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1431
  • I got the internet goin' nuts
« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2020, 02:53:32 PM »
Expand Quote
it's hard for small retail to survive unless they offer something different.
[close]

Oh, like a culture?
I'll HAPPILY spend a few bucks more to get something from Uprise knowing I'll get it back in shop hookups on releases, events, free content, contests, signings, giveaways, raffles, etc., etc., etc. 

Where I grew up there was no local, so CCS had it's time/place, but if you're just cheap, you can suck a frank.

OrangeVHStapes

• Rep: 85
« Reply #56 on: October 27, 2020, 03:01:58 PM »
Fuck Adidas and Fuck Nike. We shouldn't support these companies in skateboarding...

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 154
« Reply #57 on: October 27, 2020, 03:26:32 PM »
is this a thread from 2009
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

Lowcalcium

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #58 on: October 27, 2020, 03:34:03 PM »
Fuck Adidas and Fuck Nike. We shouldn't support these companies in skateboarding...

Thank you, finally someone is speaking my mind.

Look I know Vans is owned by VF Corp...and Dill once complained about being forced to sell more Vans or something.

But I love my Vans and I love seeing shade thrown at Nike & Addias.

Screw PRod for bringing Nike back into the equation...he will always be a prick to me

Level 60 Dwarf Rogue

• Rep: -64
« Reply #59 on: October 27, 2020, 03:49:57 PM »
I've heard it is hard as fuck to get a Vans account.