Author Topic: Anyone else notice a change in quality of Formula Four's?  (Read 5688 times)

onepumpchump

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 7
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Anyone else notice a change in quality of Formula Four's?
« on: November 14, 2020, 12:54:48 PM »
I've been loyal to Sptifire for years, but the last 2 sets of Formula fours I have purchased (in last month) have flat spotted after 1 or 2 sessions.

I'm not skating any differently either, a few powerslide/slip outs on sugarcanes and they're done.

Wondering if anyone else is experiencing this? Hoping it's a bad bunch... 99 and 101 duro :(

Frank and Fred

Re: Anyone else notice a change in quality of Formula Four's?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2020, 01:04:35 PM »
I was sure mine have been wearing down a little faster than normal but I put it down to skating really weather worn rugged parks on the Oregon coast.

You could be right though. Production did move to Mexico from SF sometime within the last year, right?

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2020, 01:49:04 PM »
Counterfeits maybe?
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 961
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2020, 02:16:17 PM »
That's why I grabbed loopholes.
I felt my wheels were getting softer batch to batch so I started with shape changes.
Then I went back to ole faithful. The 101a classics.
I think they're old. I know they came from a zoomies I got them 2nd hand from a homie who doesn't like that shape in bowls.

Anyway I'm not sure how long ago spit stopped doing 55s but they are 55s. Or were. Now they are like 50s. Way harder than the last 3 spit wheels I've had which were 99s but
Harder that the bones v2 I got in trade too.

Those offer no but protection from primo so I'm barely riding those.

After trying a few people's wheels that I skate with set ups. I was like I'm grabbing loophole sml or dial tone. It's time to buy smarter.

I live spit but everyone buys spits. That's always going to be around. I want a brand like one of these to take off. Loopholes have the best graphics a killer little team. I saw the launch video on the toa. I'm shitting thinking of the name. He's a south east rider. My brains hurt. Anyway he's the frickin man. He rides or ride for state around 2012?

It would not surprise me if all if those 3 brands use the same formula? The riders are all basically riding or selling the same shapes pretty much.

Also a '97 A wheel is bad idea in my opinion. I bet it's just a batch of 99s that failed a derometer test. I kind of feel like no one's wheel is going to be over 98A anyway if we tested them

I just edited this shit post to frickin death. I can't believe I have college in me brains somewhere.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 02:33:38 PM by Banned from the room »
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2020, 03:35:30 PM »
I work for a company that makes urethane coatings and I can tell you that our cured coating hardens overtime. It can take up to 6 months for the urethane to stop hardening.

I wonder if they are getting their wheels to market sooner and there is less aging.

Fresher wheels would be softer and more likely to flat spot.

Any chemists or mechanical engineers in the house?

Frank and Fred

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2020, 03:55:55 PM »
Interesting. I've had wheels sitting in a box for a long time and always wondered if that was a bad idea.... maybe not after all....

onepumpchump

• Rep: 7
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2020, 03:57:35 PM »
Thanks all!
I was under the impression that the Urethane was still happening at Ermico, in SF.
 I know they are legit, purchased from the same shop, but I'm hoping its a fluke.
I was mostly curious if I was the only one with this issue, I have been able to mix and match the last two sets to get a smooth ride but know it's temporary.

BL0B

• Rep: 412
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2020, 04:26:47 PM »
i got visible seams/joints in a couple of sets of F4's and some OG formula Spits look like they cracked when i put bones swiss bearings in them, all the flaws are in the sidewall and not yet across the riding surface. haven't skated them yet so we'll see. they all came from reputable shops here in the US, also.

both formulas look like they going to do this but are still holding together tight, crazy.

Anybody had this happen? Put bearings in this set of radial slims and when I went today to set them up noticed one of the wheels had split entirely to the core....sent in a note to DLX so let's see.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2020, 04:42:50 PM »
Just read that polyurethane ages pretty well. And hardens pretty quick. Doubt they are hiring the shelves prematurely.

Anyway, no flat spot issues for me. My F4s are still great.... just seemed to cone a little quicker... I'm not concerned. Still really want to try the 97s.

GumOnMyGrip

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Rep: 220
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2020, 07:29:52 PM »
i got visible seams/joints in a couple of sets of F4's and some OG formula Spits look like they cracked when i put bones swiss bearings in them, all the flaws are in the sidewall and not yet across the riding surface. haven't skated them yet so we'll see. they all came from reputable shops here in the US, also.

both formulas look like they going to do this but are still holding together tight, crazy.

Expand Quote
Anybody had this happen? Put bearings in this set of radial slims and when I went today to set them up noticed one of the wheels had split entirely to the core....sent in a note to DLX so let's see.

[close]

Exact thing happened to me but it was like ten years ago.
On a set of classics...

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2020, 09:23:53 PM »
I've been loyal to Sptifire for years, but the last 2 sets of Formula fours I have purchased (in last month) have flat spotted after 1 or 2 sessions.

I'm not skating any differently either, a few powerslide/slip outs on sugarcanes and they're done.

Wondering if anyone else is experiencing this? Hoping it's a bad bunch... 99 and 101 duro :(

Seems like anyone who has any issues and who contacts Deluxe had things sorted for them fairly quickly in the past, so that might be the best option.

On the card, it has the info "If you feel you have purchased a set with a rare defect..." email [email protected]

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2020, 09:28:26 PM »
The last few sets post covid production issues that I have seen and skated seem to be the same, work the same, might have worn down slightly faster than previous sets, but people have been skating more, so it hasn't seemed like an issue.

No flatspots in any of them I have seen other than the really uncommon slip outs / intentional issues.

That is not to say that it doesn't happen.

Slayer666

• Rep: -30
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2020, 03:47:37 AM »
Helps to really break them in at a smooth park if you’re having any trouble with em if you can.. I’ve flat spotted a set of 99s and my friends 101s did at the same sandpapery skatepark both within the last few months

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2020, 06:11:58 AM »

I'm grabbing loophole sml or dial tone.

It would not surprise me if all if those 3 brands use the same formula?
The riders are all basically riding or selling the same shapes pretty much.

Also a '97 A wheel is bad idea in my opinion. I bet it's just a batch of 99s that failed a derometer test. I kind of feel like no one's wheel is going to be over 98A anyway if we tested them.

Bones/spitfire/NFG (loophole) are all in-house pours with proprietary formulas. I've always assumed that's why both F4 and NFG feel different from any other wheel in my opinion.

I think Sml and Dialtone both use creative urethane (although I think I remember reading that sml uses other mfg too), as does most of the industry beyond bones/sf/nfg. Orbs, speedlab, Jivaro, Portland, some Niki red (think they use generator too) , underground, maybe slime balls?, boardy cakes, prize fighter, and a bunch of other brands are all CU too. They're basically the bbs/PS of the wheel world - everyone uses them because they're very good urethane and have a ton of shapes and customization options. They have some really nice shapes too.

As for the 97a it's all preference. If you mostly skate parks or courts then it's probably going to be more of a hindrance than help but if you skate crust or ditches or even just want something to make cruising more comfortable then it might be great. I've got a set of 56mm 97a OJ/creature bloodsucker (hardline shape) that are a godsend this time of year when all the streets on my normal commute are covered in sticks, acorns, and lots of little stop rocks from the storm drains getting clogged with leaves. They crush through it all better than 99a F4 radials but are a little slower and don't slide as well (they do have a nice slide though).

Ive also tried 54mm 96a nikired conicals and mini logo 95a A cuts to try and keep it closer to my usual setups in terms of size and while the Niki red are really good, I have yet to find anything as good as the bloodsuckers. I'll probably pick up the F4 97 next time I order something from a shop that has them just to see what they're like.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 390
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2020, 07:10:20 AM »
My 99a classics feel a little softer than the 99a radial slims I just had but that could have been the spot I was skating or the difference in shape

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2020, 07:19:24 AM »
The current spitfires I have now had a made in Mexico and so far they feel fine. The ones I had before them was very off though. Never yellowed like normal spits and sucked for powerslides.

Glurmpz

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2020, 09:35:32 AM »
Expand Quote

I'm grabbing loophole sml or dial tone.

It would not surprise me if all if those 3 brands use the same formula?
The riders are all basically riding or selling the same shapes pretty much.

Also a '97 A wheel is bad idea in my opinion. I bet it's just a batch of 99s that failed a derometer test. I kind of feel like no one's wheel is going to be over 98A anyway if we tested them.

[close]

I think Sml and Dialtone both use creative urethane (although I think I remember reading that sml uses other mfg too), as does most of the industry beyond bones/sf/nfg. Orbs, speedlab, Jivaro, Portland, some Niki red (think they use generator too) , underground, maybe slime balls?, boardy cakes, prize fighter, and a bunch of other brands are all CU too. They're basically the bbs/PS of the wheel world - everyone uses them because they're very good urethane and have a ton of shapes and customization options. They have some really nice shapes too.

People use creative because they will make wheels for anyone and they are affordable, ad they're the most established name. But I've tried many brands who get wheels made there and they all got flatspotted badly in the first day, every time. From OJ to Satori, Jivaro to Momentum (they've long since switched), just plain sub-par wheels. They feel soft, and have zero flat spot resistance. Spitfire Classics feel exactly the same to the point that, for a while, I wondered if they got the classics made at Creative. They look a bit too white though, so probably not.

I get the comparison to BBS since they're the big supplier for wheel manufacturing, but based on quality/performance I'd say their equivalent in the deck manufacturing world is Control.

I've had one good set of Autobahns in the past (a different formula from their standard), but nothing compares to Bones STF's or Spitfire F4's. They're vastly superior to everything else that I've ever tried. I think if Spitfire made the same shape as the Bones V5 I'd try them again, but they don't make a shape I'm really into.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 11:39:15 PM by Glurmpz »

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2020, 01:09:56 PM »
Probably in the minority here, and also because I've always skated bigheads or classics .. F4s are not for me. Im so used to regular wheels. Riding bigheads again, regular ones

stringsnthings

• Rep: -48
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2020, 05:32:32 PM »
Here are my Spitfire F4 Tablet 53 mm 99 duro. Put these on new years day 2020. They were fine but in the last 2 or 3 months i've finally noticed several bubbles and there was a weird ripple in my wheel which caused the most unusual flat spot I've ever seen. I bought some Formula 4 101 Duro 54 mm classics for my next batch but I'm a little nervous after this first experience with F4's. If this happens again I will most likely try OJ's.

Weezil

• Rep: 32
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2020, 06:12:51 PM »
I got some conical fulls a few years ago that were potatoes out of the pack but slid so good. last few pairs I've had are whiter and a take a little while longer to break in than I remember but they still feel about the same.

still the only wheels I'll buy. good wheels.

lovermangenius

• Rep: 16
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2020, 07:04:19 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Seems like anyone who has any issues and who contacts Deluxe had things sorted for them fairly quickly in the past, so that might be the best option.

On the card, it has the info "If you feel you have purchased a set with a rare defect..." email [email protected]

Just had a warranty experience with Deluxe and it was extremely easy and they were super cool about the whole process. Great company.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2020, 07:52:21 PM »
Here are my Spitfire F4 Tablet 53 mm 99 duro. Put these on new years day 2020. They were fine but in the last 2 or 3 months i've finally noticed several bubbles and there was a weird ripple in my wheel which caused the most unusual flat spot I've ever seen. I bought some Formula 4 101 Duro 54 mm classics for my next batch but I'm a little nervous after this first experience with F4's. If this happens again I will most likely try OJ's.

The sidewall is common on sharp edge ledge or whatever the wheel is up against, even if it is one little bit sticking out that you repeatedly hit when trying similar lines.

The wheel surface should not bubble, but the pic is a bit harder to see what is going on.

You can always send the pics and info to them to see what they say though.  No harm in asking.

Email and details posted a short while ago.  ^^

stringsnthings

• Rep: -48
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2020, 10:30:16 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The sidewall is common on sharp edge ledge or whatever the wheel is up against, even if it is one little bit sticking out that you repeatedly hit when trying similar lines.

The wheel surface should not bubble, but the pic is a bit harder to see what is going on.

You can always send the pics and info to them to see what they say though.  No harm in asking.

Email and details posted a short while ago.  ^^

Yeah I skate primarily ledges so I expected the usual side wall graphic deterioration/rubbing but the amount of gashes was kinda surprising this time and I've only skated spitfires over a decade. I've heard of bubbles in wheels but never have had it happen to me until this batch. I also have never had a flat spot in my life until this batch it well so it was a little uncomfortable and a bummer but I think quality control is not up to par probably across the board for most brands during these times  so I'm not gonna cancel culture Spitfire/F4's. I appreciate the heads up tho

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2020, 03:48:17 AM »

I've heard of bubbles in wheels but never have had it happen to me until this batch.

Definitely worth it!

franc

• Rep: 96
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2020, 04:42:17 AM »
Probably in the minority here, and also because I've always skated bigheads or classics .. F4s are not for me. Im so used to regular wheels. Riding bigheads again, regular ones
BA skates the regular Classics too.

I recently got a set of 53 Classic F4s and flatspotted them straight away. Nothing too crazy but it's definitely there. They might feel a tad softer than all the F4s I had before but this could just be in my head too.

sbmfj

• Rep: 56
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2020, 01:31:32 PM »
I thought my set of 52 FF were pretty crappy. Def not worth the hype and price!

A big chuck on the sidewall felt out, found them to be slippery as well. Def no real difference between these wheel and any other wheel ive had in the past few years.

Sent them an email to see what theyd say. I must say, I have had horrible luck with all Deluxe related products. All crap to me. Used to crack the thunder baseplates back in the day, snapped a Peter Ramondetta Real board ten years ago - the one and only I ever bought (last about 2 hours) and now the spits.

Silly me tho, asked Santa for a pair of 52 classics for Xmas. Hopefully my luck will change with this set.

Someone told me FF is better for park vs street. Im mostly a street guy. Thoughts on this?

Thanks

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2020, 01:46:10 PM »
I thought my set of 52 FF were pretty crappy. Def not worth the hype and price!

A big chuck on the sidewall felt out, found them to be slippery as well. Def no real difference between these wheel and any other wheel ive had in the past few years.

Sent them an email to see what theyd say. I must say, I have had horrible luck with all Deluxe related products. All crap to me. Used to crack the thunder baseplates back in the day, snapped a Peter Ramondetta Real board ten years ago - the one and only I ever bought (last about 2 hours) and now the spits.

Silly me tho, asked Santa for a pair of 52 classics for Xmas. Hopefully my luck will change with this set.

Someone told me FF is better for park vs street. Im mostly a street guy. Thoughts on this?

Thanks

They definitely sort out issues.

https://www.spitfirewheels.com/guaranteed/

Did you get normal classics, not Formula Four classics?

Some people love them and some people do not, but it is just one of those things.  I have seen every brand of product work well and every brand and type of product in pieces / broken / flatspotted or wrecked over the years, so not necessarily the product at fault and not always the rider at fault either.

ballintoohard

« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2020, 02:40:48 PM »
Got some 99d F4 Classics recently and they look whiter, feel more slick, and are a ton more slippery. Took em off after slipping out a lot on some smoother local terrain I have ridden for years. My Loopholes feel way more grippy, slide as well on the ledge.

TumKayo

« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2020, 05:59:02 PM »
I just got some F4 Tablets and Conical Fulls. I haven’t long term tested durability obviously, but I wouldn’t pay $45 for these, like some shops are charging now.

At the $31 I paid for each set, if they last a little longer I’ll be happy. In terms of on street feel, I’m not that impressed, and prefer some of my cheaper wheels. I haven’t taken them to the park yet though.

I’m hoping they get better as they break in

Frank and Fred

« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2020, 06:04:51 PM »
I personally feel F4s get better as they break in. I am about  five sessions deep into some Classic wide 99as and they  now feel amazing.