Author Topic: Kader on Nike  (Read 72062 times)

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 252
Re: Kader on Nike
« Reply #630 on: March 08, 2021, 02:58:25 PM »
Are you all intentionally misunderstanding or just unable to understand any nuance?   I don’t care who the skater is and what the skater buys with it, but it’s surprising a middle tier pro has tons of money.  He doesn’t have pro model shoes or anything like that and skaters with similar sponsors (Mountain Dew) don’t seem to have that level of money.   He has a 1/3 of the followers on IG that ishod or Reynolds or Daewon does, so it’s not like he’s internet famous or anything like that. 

And you don’t know that he’s invested his money in anything or done anything like that so shut the fuck up.   

TheFandangler

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 15
« Reply #631 on: March 08, 2021, 03:08:54 PM »
Are you all intentionally misunderstanding or just unable to understand any nuance?   I don’t care who the skater is and what the skater buys with it, but it’s surprising a middle tier pro has tons of money.  He doesn’t have pro model shoes or anything like that and skaters with similar sponsors (Mountain Dew) don’t seem to have that level of money.   He has a 1/3 of the followers on IG that ishod or Reynolds or Daewon does, so it’s not like he’s internet famous or anything like that. 

And you don’t know that he’s invested his money in anything or done anything like that so shut the fuck up.

You just seem really concerned about why he has that money. Mountain Dew during Theotis's prime was paying really well I think. He wasn't really considered middle tier at that point either. I think a lot of people (and brands) saw a really bright future with that good natured kid, and were probably giving him a fat payday. Granted his career did not blossom as much as they might have hoped, but I think there were high expectations. Just don't know why you seem so upset that he drives a Bentley which may be leased. And yeah we don't know if he's invested or not, but you don't either so why speculate that his sponsor paycheques were the only way he was able to afford what he has. We have no idea, so to be upset that he's making more money than someone you think is more deserving seems ridiculous.

ThisFuckingDude

• Rep: -16
« Reply #632 on: March 08, 2021, 03:10:17 PM »

What did Theotis do to you? Dude is obviously genuinely a good person. His Bentley is kinda old btw so I don’t think it was crazy expensive. He has a house and a park in his backyard. He might not have the greatest style but he does his fucking job. And don’t call me a bozo bc you’re coming off racist. I’m black I’m not new to this you don’t have to call someone the n word to be racist.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #633 on: March 08, 2021, 03:28:42 PM »
Fuck, you guys are dumb.   

Being surprised that ANY pro has that kind of money is not the same as being mad/hating/inconsolable that THEOTIS specifically has that kind of money.   

You guys are intentionally trying to warp what I’m saying by countering with made up facts of what he’s done with that money or how he’s invested or spent it.  Not shocking that you’re bad faith trolls as it’s been apparent for pages, but whatever

TheFandangler

• Rep: 15
« Reply #634 on: March 08, 2021, 03:54:27 PM »
Fuck, you guys are dumb.   

Being surprised that ANY pro has that kind of money is not the same as being mad/hating/inconsolable that THEOTIS specifically has that kind of money.   

You guys are intentionally trying to warp what I’m saying by countering with made up facts of what he’s done with that money or how he’s invested or spent it.  Not shocking that you’re bad faith trolls as it’s been apparent for pages, but whatever

Why is it surprising that a guy that got on Nike and Mountain Dew and god knows what else when they were giving out big contracts has a home and pretty nice car? Granted, I get your point that a lot of pros probably don’t even make enough to afford payments on a decent Honda, but I think Theotis got in at a good time and was marketable so he got paid. Hell, even Keelan Dadd was making 120k a year around those days and he’s way less talented and marketable than Theotis.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #635 on: March 08, 2021, 04:02:40 PM »
Theotis lifestyle is not out of line for his career. Anita acting like he's Andrew Brophy or something...

Yes, perfect example is Brophy.  I do not understanding how he has had an Audi (now Ford) deal, GoPro, etc for his talent level and production level. 

But I bet if I mentioned him first you wouldn’t have gone on and on about housing prices in Australia, blah blah.   But at least you got to accuse me of being anti-black while calling me the name of someone who was known for his anti-Semitism.   

lysdexia

• Rep: 4
« Reply #636 on: March 08, 2021, 04:33:14 PM »
Yes, perfect example is Brophy.  I do not understanding how he has had an Audi (now Ford) deal, GoPro, etc for his talent level and production level. 

brophy comes from a motor racing family with (i believe) ties to the automotive industry, so a deal like the ford one is pretty easily explained, and has little to do with skateboarding and more to do with social media presence

Mantis tabogin

• Rep: -7
« Reply #637 on: March 08, 2021, 04:38:22 PM »
will he make the jump too FA tho

snowballz

• Rep: -12
« Reply #638 on: March 08, 2021, 04:45:15 PM »
Theotis is such a nice dude that I can get past the fact that his skating doesn't do shit for me. He's a good role model for the youth and a positive force in his community. I hope he gets a check for the rest of life. We need more people like him in the world

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1311
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #639 on: March 08, 2021, 04:50:13 PM »
Theotis is such a nice dude that I can get past the fact that his skating doesn't do shit for me. He's a good role model for the youth and a positive force in his community. I hope he gets a check for the rest of life. We need more people like him in the world
This. He also takes care a portion of his family financially so I kinda love it when he flexes his cash.

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #640 on: March 08, 2021, 04:56:22 PM »
thee thee is rad

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #641 on: March 08, 2021, 04:56:57 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
This. He also takes care a portion of his family financially so I kinda love it when he flexes his cash.

He is super positive and always seemed to appreciate everything he’s earned. I wasn’t always a fan of his style, but I think it’s improved. He was at least skating faster in the last few clips I saw. I got no issues with his board lookin like a nascar. He’s paid his dues and didn’t kook it like a lot of people in his position probably would have.

dannyprovolone

« Reply #642 on: March 08, 2021, 05:01:24 PM »
Theotis is better than he gets credit for but also one of those guys who doesn't seem motivated to do the hardest tricks. probably been stacking mountain dew and nike money for a long time now...good on him for not blowing it. Andrew brophy kind of sucks but thankfully I hardly remember he exists until his name is brought up on slap

Croquet temper

• Rep: -35
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #643 on: March 08, 2021, 05:38:55 PM »
The oddest bees lee, if you will. Tech manual powers, you could say.

ThisFuckingDude

• Rep: -16
« Reply #644 on: March 08, 2021, 05:50:44 PM »
Fuck, you guys are dumb.   

Everything I said was true. I said he has a house and a park. A used Bentley isn’t as expensive as people think. Stop trying to make people sound stupid bc you’re a bitter ass pocket watcher. He doesn’t do any drugs and has a bunch of corporate sponsors. It be kind of weird for the skater with literally the most sponsors to not have money. He probably brings in 6 figures alone between Baker Nike and Mountain Dew. And then he has like 10 more sponsors.

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #645 on: March 08, 2021, 06:15:56 PM »
What's really surprising is that his corporate sponsors didn't toss him aside as he aged and his skate productivity dipped. Cause Theotis really isn't being featured in videos like he used to be (outside of his own instagram), you gotta admit. Maybe it's just my algorithms, but I've seen noticeably less of the guy than I did 7-8 years ago.

However, the fact that he has those sponsors and has had them for this long is enough evidence for me to understand how he got his finances in order. He just used the money wisely, that's not something you really loudly promote unless you're a horse or something. Also definitely suggests the companies saw his numerous positive qualities and realized he was marketable for more than just his skating.
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 805
« Reply #646 on: March 08, 2021, 07:44:16 PM »
dude lost me with that Payday-loan sponsor.  chase that check i guess, but that goes beyond lame into actual damaging territory.
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

Ankle_Lift

• Rep: 80
« Reply #647 on: March 08, 2021, 09:51:54 PM »

What the fuck is it to you if he drives a Bentley.

Bentley are cool, but the repair and maintenance costs on a car like that though?

I get cold sweats just thinking about it.... Unless it's leased. Then fuck yeah, let's go off roading!

AfterBlackEnderEnder

« Reply #648 on: March 08, 2021, 10:18:03 PM »
I actually really liked Theo’s part in Baker 4 (minus all the unnecessary B-roll that emphasizes the black male stereotypes). This prob belongs in the unpopular opinion thread but whatever. I blame Andrew and whoever else edited the video for that, not him.

Croquet temper

• Rep: -35
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #649 on: March 08, 2021, 10:34:25 PM »
If you baptize your kids in Mountain Dew, PepsiCo will more than make it up to you, I promise.

I collect cans of Mountain Dew, and I have three Bentleys.

Money in skateboarding can be kind of random and arbitrary. Ryan Gallant is a great skater, and ended up getting a serious check from DC when it was sold because anyone who was officially on had part ownership. But a lot of equally good or more legendary skaters ended up kinda broke-ish.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 10:41:13 PM by Croquet temper »

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #650 on: March 08, 2021, 11:30:47 PM »
What's really surprising is that his corporate sponsors didn't toss him aside as he aged and his skate productivity dipped. Cause Theotis really isn't being featured in videos like he used to be (outside of his own instagram), you gotta admit. Maybe it's just my algorithms, but I've seen noticeably less of the guy than I did 7-8 years ago.

However, the fact that he has those sponsors and has had them for this long is enough evidence for me to understand how he got his finances in order. He just used the money wisely, that's not something you really loudly promote unless you're a horse or something. Also definitely suggests the companies saw his numerous positive qualities and realized he was marketable for more than just his skating.

Look the “Theotis bought a Bentley” shit was in a bunch of skate mags, just like when P Rod bought a bunch of people Cadillacs.  I don’t have this inside track to pros personal lives that everyone else seems to here. 

And you’re basically getting to what I was talking about.  He’s not particularly coverage heavy (Malto on Mountain Dew isn’t either anymore but used to be hot shit) so it’s surprising he has those sponsors.  He’s not a Dew Tour guy or anything and they haven’t really done any commercials videos promoting him.   You don’t really see that in other athletic endeavors, so I thought it was interesting to talk about.   

Hell, people on these boards were bitching a week ago that 40+ year old MJ didn’t skate enough anymore to merit an Adidas sponsorship because he isn’t producing as much as he used to and he’s easily a Top 10 Skater of All Time, but I guess Theotis must be protected at all costs even from people who weren’t insulting or coming at him. 

Swithflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -748
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #651 on: March 09, 2021, 02:05:51 AM »
these big shoe cos know what they're doing business wise. I doubt Adidas skate is even worth it at all for Adidas. they don't have a dunk that people line up for or a janoski that was like the default skate shoe for over a decade. the last limited FA and last two Gonz Alohas are still at the shops and their "core" shoes can always be found at the outlet here for 30 dollars

I could totally see Adidas canceling their skate shop contracts and just selling online. but it also seems like the Adidas situation is very different in Europe and America.

IDK why Kader blew it with both Vans and Nike to try to get on Adidas. seem like an unwise career move . but I heard some weird stuff that he wanted Nike and Nike wanted him on but Supreme wanted him to stay on Vans due to some strategy with the VF acquisition and screwed his nike deal over at the manager/agent level. then it all blew up and now he's off everything and looking for sponsors

I can tell you Adidas superstars sells more than both dunk and Janoski. 

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -767
« Reply #652 on: March 09, 2021, 02:42:38 AM »
Expand Quote
these big shoe cos know what they're doing business wise. I doubt Adidas skate is even worth it at all for Adidas. they don't have a dunk that people line up for or a janoski that was like the default skate shoe for over a decade. the last limited FA and last two Gonz Alohas are still at the shops and their "core" shoes can always be found at the outlet here for 30 dollars

I could totally see Adidas canceling their skate shop contracts and just selling online. but it also seems like the Adidas situation is very different in Europe and America.

IDK why Kader blew it with both Vans and Nike to try to get on Adidas. seem like an unwise career move . but I heard some weird stuff that he wanted Nike and Nike wanted him on but Supreme wanted him to stay on Vans due to some strategy with the VF acquisition and screwed his nike deal over at the manager/agent level. then it all blew up and now he's off everything and looking for sponsors
[close]

In Europe where I am from. Adidas would be the biggest seller too.
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #653 on: March 09, 2021, 02:54:39 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Look the “Theotis bought a Bentley” shit was in a bunch of skate mags, just like when P Rod bought a bunch of people Cadillacs.  I don’t have this inside track to pros personal lives that everyone else seems to here. 

And you’re basically getting to what I was talking about.  He’s not particularly coverage heavy (Malto on Mountain Dew isn’t either anymore but used to be hot shit) so it’s surprising he has those sponsors.  He’s not a Dew Tour guy or anything and they haven’t really done any commercials videos promoting him.   You don’t really see that in other athletic endeavors, so I thought it was interesting to talk about.   

Hell, people on these boards were bitching a week ago that 40+ year old MJ didn’t skate enough anymore to merit an Adidas sponsorship because he isn’t producing as much as he used to and he’s easily a Top 10 Skater of All Time, but I guess Theotis must be protected at all costs even from people who weren’t insulting or coming at him.

I really do agree with what you were saying, and I think what's surprising to both of us is that his sponsors still support him despite not being a footage machine, even though he is a great guy with a squeaky clean image. In an industry/culture where we do have casual fans talking shit about productivity of beloved legends, that is abnormal.

I also agree it's interesting to talk about, especially because it suggests (and I'll admit I don't know this to be fact, but it seems entirely plausible) that Theotis knew where to put/how to use the money that was coming in, as well as how to negotiate contracts and keep those sponsors for reasons other than just skating. He had to be doing things on his end to maintain those contracts, big companies aren't just gonna pay you because you're nice and support your family/community... he was bringing them money in too. Being a good role model/having a clean image is something he has on his side, though.

I think you've been misunderstood and very important points you've made have been ignored, like how you mentioned that skaters' blackness is often co-opted by companies in skateboarding for financial gain/image, and how you acknowledged that black skaters draw a special kind of criticism because of their race. These are serious problems when it comes to race and skateboarding... not wondering how Theotis Beasley financed his Bentley.

I think the way you phrased your question was asking for a little fire, talking about his skill level and wondering how he ever managed it, rather than asking the better question which is why did his corporate sponsors not act like corporate sponsors and drop him when he fell out of the limelight in skateboarding as he aged? I really do think the answer is Theotis knows how to manage money/contracts and do what needs to he done to get paid behind the scenes.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 03:13:17 AM by Urtripping »
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

GuessAgain?

• Rep: 57
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #654 on: March 09, 2021, 02:58:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I mean an apt comparison is the superstar ADV, comparing standard superstars sales to janoski or SB dunks is apples and oranges. Personally I feel like Adidas skateboarding hits in waves, at certain times there's a huge push and I feel like everything I see Adidas related, but maybe it's just me. I feel like they've been pretty quiet since they supposedly dropped loads of shops, plus having videos delete off YouTube is a super weird strategy also. Nike are pretty damn constant when it comes to pushing this shit, plus they take little risk with new designs of shoes these days, everything is either a blazer, dunk, or court variation it seems. In my opinion Adidas have more interesting designs these days which I applaud, especially cause you can usually buy their shit without having to deal with a whole raffle + resale predicament that nike have created.

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #655 on: March 09, 2021, 03:25:55 AM »
I believe adidas removing videos from YouTube has to do with music licensing terms.

Swithflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -748
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #656 on: March 09, 2021, 04:26:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I mean an apt comparison is the superstar ADV, comparing standard superstars sales to janoski or SB dunks is apples and oranges. Personally I feel like Adidas skateboarding hits in waves, at certain times there's a huge push and I feel like everything I see Adidas related, but maybe it's just me. I feel like they've been pretty quiet since they supposedly dropped loads of shops, plus having videos delete off YouTube is a super weird strategy also. Nike are pretty damn constant when it comes to pushing this shit, plus they take little risk with new designs of shoes these days, everything is either a blazer, dunk, or court variation it seems. In my opinion Adidas have more interesting designs these days which I applaud, especially cause you can usually buy their shit without having to deal with a whole raffle + resale predicament that nike have created.

Its not apples to oranges. Skateboard program helped the trend of  standards superstars cameback. Now you see  them in
 everywhere.  I know that shoe is a timeless classic, but since 2010 they got a  reboost. Adidas superstars is one of the biggest selling shoes ever, next to chuck taylors.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 04:47:02 AM by Swithflip »

cky enthusiast

« Reply #657 on: March 09, 2021, 04:40:37 AM »
bigotry is bad enough, calling MJ top ten all time is where i draw the line

MareVitals

• Rep: -39
« Reply #658 on: March 09, 2021, 07:42:12 AM »
bigotry is bad enough, calling MJ top ten all time is where i draw the line
idk man I rewatched some of his parts recently and they're pretty fucked up even by today's standards. I never cared for theotis but don't wish him any ill will. he seems like a solid enough guy. weird how this thread ended up here.

stevedave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 99
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #659 on: March 09, 2021, 07:56:31 AM »
is Theotis represented by that skater/agent company by Ryan Clements?  I know he did a lot of investing for skaters when they were getting a lot of cash from sponsors like Men. Dew, etc.  Shit, he even helped Freddy get out from his IRS problems.  I feel like Theotis was getting a lot of shine around the time Ryan started that business and a bunch o people got on board.
"See you are like Mark David Chapman and my posts are John Lennon. You having nothing to offer so the best you can do is try to assassinate my beautiful posts. My Dental Plan is Strawberry fields and you are a sexually frustrated fat man."  ---NigNogNooo---