Author Topic: Kader on Nike  (Read 72063 times)

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 252
Re: Kader on Nike
« Reply #660 on: March 09, 2021, 10:01:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
What's really surprising is that his corporate sponsors didn't toss him aside as he aged and his skate productivity dipped. Cause Theotis really isn't being featured in videos like he used to be (outside of his own instagram), you gotta admit. Maybe it's just my algorithms, but I've seen noticeably less of the guy than I did 7-8 years ago.

However, the fact that he has those sponsors and has had them for this long is enough evidence for me to understand how he got his finances in order. He just used the money wisely, that's not something you really loudly promote unless you're a horse or something. Also definitely suggests the companies saw his numerous positive qualities and realized he was marketable for more than just his skating.
[close]

Look the “Theotis bought a Bentley” shit was in a bunch of skate mags, just like when P Rod bought a bunch of people Cadillacs.  I don’t have this inside track to pros personal lives that everyone else seems to here. 

And you’re basically getting to what I was talking about.  He’s not particularly coverage heavy (Malto on Mountain Dew isn’t either anymore but used to be hot shit) so it’s surprising he has those sponsors.  He’s not a Dew Tour guy or anything and they haven’t really done any commercials videos promoting him.   You don’t really see that in other athletic endeavors, so I thought it was interesting to talk about.   

Hell, people on these boards were bitching a week ago that 40+ year old MJ didn’t skate enough anymore to merit an Adidas sponsorship because he isn’t producing as much as he used to and he’s easily a Top 10 Skater of All Time, but I guess Theotis must be protected at all costs even from people who weren’t insulting or coming at him.
[close]

I really do agree with what you were saying, and I think what's surprising to both of us is that his sponsors still support him despite not being a footage machine, even though he is a great guy with a squeaky clean image. In an industry/culture where we do have casual fans talking shit about productivity of beloved legends, that is abnormal.

I also agree it's interesting to talk about, especially because it suggests (and I'll admit I don't know this to be fact, but it seems entirely plausible) that Theotis knew where to put/how to use the money that was coming in, as well as how to negotiate contracts and keep those sponsors for reasons other than just skating. He had to be doing things on his end to maintain those contracts, big companies aren't just gonna pay you because you're nice and support your family/community... he was bringing them money in too. Being a good role model/having a clean image is something he has on his side, though.

I think you've been misunderstood and very important points you've made have been ignored, like how you mentioned that skaters' blackness is often co-opted by companies in skateboarding for financial gain/image, and how you acknowledged that black skaters draw a special kind of criticism because of their race. These are serious problems when it comes to race and skateboarding... not wondering how Theotis Beasley financed his Bentley.

I think the way you phrased your question was asking for a little fire, talking about his skill level and wondering how he ever managed it, rather than asking the better question which is why did his corporate sponsors not act like corporate sponsors and drop him when he fell out of the limelight in skateboarding as he aged? I really do think the answer is Theotis knows how to manage money/contracts and do what needs to he done to get paid behind the scenes.

Thank you

DCLOVE

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -496
« Reply #661 on: March 09, 2021, 11:09:47 AM »
Damn I wonder if that Kader getting kicked off supreme and fucking up a Nike deal story is legit though.  Would be kinda funny if his whole bidding war thing backfired on him. But this is also kader who for some reason has been in riverside for the last month and asking for ps5 plugs and half pounds on his insta story. He’s just a kid but I think Nike would the smarter choice long term.

Also fun story back In like 2017 Theotis’ contract was gonna end at Nike and he was actually trying to get on adidas. I guess he took the contract demotion at Nike or adidas was gonna pay him cause it didn’t happen but he was defintely looking to jumping Ship to the threes stripes at one point.

PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #662 on: March 09, 2021, 11:16:09 AM »
Expand Quote
these big shoe cos know what they're doing business wise. I doubt Adidas skate is even worth it at all for Adidas. they don't have a dunk that people line up for or a janoski that was like the default skate shoe for over a decade. the last limited FA and last two Gonz Alohas are still at the shops and their "core" shoes can always be found at the outlet here for 30 dollars

I could totally see Adidas canceling their skate shop contracts and just selling online. but it also seems like the Adidas situation is very different in Europe and America.

IDK why Kader blew it with both Vans and Nike to try to get on Adidas. seem like an unwise career move . but I heard some weird stuff that he wanted Nike and Nike wanted him on but Supreme wanted him to stay on Vans due to some strategy with the VF acquisition and screwed his nike deal over at the manager/agent level. then it all blew up and now he's off everything and looking for sponsors
[close]

I can tell you Adidas superstars sells more than both dunk and Janoski.

Nike has 4x the market share adidas does, so they clearly do not
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

exlurker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 557
« Reply #663 on: March 09, 2021, 11:46:05 AM »
Saying MJ is top ten all time is a perfectly acceptable opinion

NorthShore

• Rep: 5
« Reply #664 on: March 09, 2021, 01:12:49 PM »
Times are tough right now economically. I know from skateboarding and other sports that some pro athletes, especially those with managers, asked for too much money. And brands said no.

Grind King Rims

« Reply #665 on: March 09, 2021, 01:49:11 PM »
Damn I wonder if that Kader getting kicked off supreme and fucking up a Nike deal story is legit though.  Would be kinda funny if his whole bidding war thing backfired on him. But this is also kader who for some reason has been in riverside for the last month and asking for ps5 plugs and half pounds on his insta story. He’s just a kid but I think Nike would the smarter choice long term.

Also fun story back In like 2017 Theotis’ contract was gonna end at Nike and he was actually trying to get on adidas. I guess he took the contract demotion at Nike or adidas was gonna pay him cause it didn’t happen but he was defintely looking to jumping Ship to the threes stripes at one point.

8:20

https://www.thrashermagazine.com/articles/videos/world-s-best-premiere-chronicles-iii/

PS: I find Theotis very endearing in this. How can you not love a guy who will chill and chat shit like that.

artskool

• Rep: 31
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #666 on: March 09, 2021, 02:13:19 PM »
This basically explains it all. Many pro skaters have dramatically over-valued themselves in the market, and nobody's biting. Same reason Austyn isn't on contract with anybody. I'm a big fan of Kader, and think he has potential for a great career, but is he going to move the sales needle for a shoe brand significantly compared to any other celebrity they could do a project with? The days of guys who are amazing and get a deal because they "deserve" one are pretty much over.

Times are tough right now economically. I know from skateboarding and other sports that some pro athletes, especially those with managers, asked for too much money. And brands said no.

Swithflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -748
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #667 on: March 09, 2021, 03:04:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
these big shoe cos know what they're doing business wise. I doubt Adidas skate is even worth it at all for Adidas. they don't have a dunk that people line up for or a janoski that was like the default skate shoe for over a decade. the last limited FA and last two Gonz Alohas are still at the shops and their "core" shoes can always be found at the outlet here for 30 dollars

I could totally see Adidas canceling their skate shop contracts and just selling online. but it also seems like the Adidas situation is very different in Europe and America.

IDK why Kader blew it with both Vans and Nike to try to get on Adidas. seem like an unwise career move . but I heard some weird stuff that he wanted Nike and Nike wanted him on but Supreme wanted him to stay on Vans due to some strategy with the VF acquisition and screwed his nike deal over at the manager/agent level. then it all blew up and now he's off everything and looking for sponsors
[close]

[close]

the skate superstars definitely don't outsell janoskis in the USA. but the regular superstar likely does outsell all of nike skate shoes combined. but if youre going there the regular superstar probably outsells all the Adidas skate specific shoes  by like 5 times

but that's what I meant. Adidas could just basically cancel their whole skate program and just sell regular superstars and gazelles to skaters. they don't have a skate specific shoe that is a must have. even for skaters. for a decade janoskis were like the default skate shoe in the USA and a huge surprise money maker for Nike. and they don't have a dunk either where people are lining up overnight to get them

Dunks nowadays just works for limited editions, I dont see regular skaters in dunks, they are expensives and overhyped. Skaters hate it.

TheFandangler

• Rep: 15
« Reply #668 on: March 09, 2021, 03:06:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

the skate superstars definitely don't outsell janoskis in the USA. but the regular superstar likely does outsell all of nike skate shoes combined. but if youre going there the regular superstar probably outsells all the Adidas skate specific shoes  by like 5 times

but that's what I meant. Adidas could just basically cancel their whole skate program and just sell regular superstars and gazelles to skaters. they don't have a skate specific shoe that is a must have. even for skaters. for a decade janoskis were like the default skate shoe in the USA and a huge surprise money maker for Nike. and they don't have a dunk either where people are lining up overnight to get them
[close]

Dunks nowadays just works for limited editions, I dont see regular skaters in dunks, they are expensives and overhyped. Skaters hate it.

I see lots of regular skaters in dunks. Goofy skaters too. But seriously, lots of "regular" skaters skate dunks.

Telly

• Rep: -150
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #669 on: March 09, 2021, 03:59:50 PM »
It amazes my how little “slap” as a whole can understand money, how it works, how to work it, etc.

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 796
« Reply #670 on: March 09, 2021, 04:04:59 PM »
It amazes my how little “slap” as a whole can understand money, how it works, how to work it, etc.

put us on then telly

alex

• Rep: 34
« Reply #671 on: March 09, 2021, 05:37:14 PM »

What was the deal with that story? I didn’t see anything about it but would definitely be interested in the cliff notes
Suns out, im going skating. chow

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #672 on: March 09, 2021, 06:09:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Are you all intentionally misunderstanding or just unable to understand any nuance?   I don’t care who the skater is and what the skater buys with it, but it’s surprising a middle tier pro has tons of money.  He doesn’t have pro model shoes or anything like that and skaters with similar sponsors (Mountain Dew) don’t seem to have that level of money.   He has a 1/3 of the followers on IG that ishod or Reynolds or Daewon does, so it’s not like he’s internet famous or anything like that. 

And you don’t know that he’s invested his money in anything or done anything like that so shut the fuck up.
[close]
1.Why do you get to decide if he’s a “middle tier pro”?
2.You also don’t know if he’s invested his money or not.
3.What’s it to you how much money he has/ what he does with it?
4.Don’t jump to conclusions.

Read the rest of the thread

Telly

• Rep: -150
« Reply #673 on: March 09, 2021, 07:03:10 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

put us on then telly

No thanks.  I enjoy reading it.  I will say though it’s not as easy as judging someone by their car.
I believe I’ve heard josh Kalis (Kerry Getz?  all you east coast white boys look the same to me)mention how many cars he bought. As I recall it was probably 6 figures on cars.  I would be willing to bet my car that they would give all those memories of the cars back for 100(200?) thousand dollars having earned 10% interest for 10 years, or 20 years.
So theotis might have just bought his Bentley off some dividends, the principal of which is still chugging away for later in life.
Or a yacht.  Nothing ostentatious, because he’s not trying to outdo anybody, he just wants a yacht.  He and Reynolds will take it fishing.  Most everybody will be welcome, but not dollin, who loves and respects theotis more than enough to even ask to go on the boat.  He checked it out from the dock and headed back to the marina bar to hit on old women. He will make out with one.  She will be gross, but he won’t actually ever focus in on her face so meh.

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 353
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #674 on: March 09, 2021, 07:34:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

put us on then telly
[close]

No thanks.  I enjoy reading it.  I will say though it’s not as easy as judging someone by their car.
I believe I’ve heard josh Kalis (Kerry Getz?  all you east coast white boys look the same to me)mention how many cars he bought. As I recall it was probably 6 figures on cars.  I would be willing to bet my car that they would give all those memories of the cars back for 100(200?) thousand dollars having earned 10% interest for 10 years, or 20 years.
So theotis might have just bought his Bentley off some dividends, the principal of which is still chugging away for later in life.
Or a yacht.  Nothing ostentatious, because he’s not trying to outdo anybody, he just wants a yacht.  He and Reynolds will take it fishing.  Most everybody will be welcome, but not dollin, who loves and respects theotis more than enough to even ask to go on the boat.  He checked it out from the dock and headed back to the marina bar to hit on old women. He will make out with one.  She will be gross, but he won’t actually ever focus in on her face so meh.
[/quote

keep going, i'm almost there

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

muntcuscle

• Rep: 44
« Reply #675 on: March 09, 2021, 08:35:29 PM »
would just like to chime in and say that if i could afford a Bentley, i'd love one thanks

Croquet temper

• Rep: -35
« Reply #676 on: March 09, 2021, 09:21:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Saying MJ is top ten all time is a perfectly acceptable opinion
[close]

MJ seem like one of the most annoying pros around but always delivered on his video parts

He delivered so much, in fact, that I don’t give a shit if he’s annoying. Not my problem. Also, Theotis could drive a tractor and still be your friendly neighborhood tech manual guy. Wes Kremer sounds fried. Rips. Evan Smith? Very weird, and he’s killing it.

KBizzle

• Rep: -17
« Reply #677 on: March 09, 2021, 09:34:07 PM »
Every Dunk sells out within minutes, depending on how many Nike is making is another issue. No way Adidas is making better sales with any of their shoes.

Just this week alone Nike dropping 4 Dunks on SNKRS. ( I really need those Carpet Company Dunks  :'()
Adidas never will have the Hypebeast crowd for their skate shoes.

spacial_profiling

• Rep: -88

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 460
« Reply #679 on: March 09, 2021, 09:54:18 PM »
Bentleys are expensive, man, I’m often wrong but I find it hard to believe he was able to front a deposit and make payments off dividends and he has all his stupid clothes and handbags and shit to pay for, too
I realise housing is cheap in USA but still
listen to cosmic psychos

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 460
« Reply #680 on: March 09, 2021, 10:11:10 PM »
Man I liked you but fuck off as if you’re even an Australian
listen to cosmic psychos

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #681 on: March 09, 2021, 11:55:27 PM »
Every Dunk sells out within minutes, depending on how many Nike is making is another issue. No way Adidas is making better sales with any of their shoes.

Just this week alone Nike dropping 4 Dunks on SNKRS. ( I really need those Carpet Company Dunks  :'()

They had the Kanye hype for a while.  Thought they were goofy looking as shit

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #682 on: March 10, 2021, 12:07:04 AM »
slap still scrutinizing the lifestyle of a pro loved by basically everyone except the weirdos here on Slap.  in a thread not about him where he was just brought up because he's also black. Furthermore the aspiring financial analysts here can't figure out the math behind how the pro with the most sponsors ever at one time can afford a car and a house.

Again, the issue wasn’t that he afforded them or what he did with the money, but why a skater who was never considered notable talent-wise, but was seen as a good kid was making Bentley money when you’re average pro was making Honda money.  It’s not specifically about Bentleys, that’s just a symbol for his rarefied levels of earnings he’s made as a skateboarder (which no one has a problem with).

It was/is a discussion on how skateboarding isn’t a meritocracy and how brands value riders because of what they bring to the table as well.  I never knew personally what Theotis brought to the table outside of skateboarding.   Just like I didn’t know what Brophy did.  People are discussing it, sharing tidbits they know.  It’s not some attack on anyone. 

People are on Slap because they’re interested in skateboarding as an activity and as an industry.   Perhaps I, like others, may not express questions/opinions I have as delicately as I could, but spend anytime on the boards beyond the past two weeks when you’ve been trying to stir up helter skelter and you’ll be able to tell the people who are trolls who bear ill-will and say shit just to be outrageous (you) and who are aren’t. 

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -767
« Reply #683 on: March 10, 2021, 12:57:41 AM »

Which is why Adidas is the only one with a shred of dignity.
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 796
« Reply #684 on: March 10, 2021, 02:28:07 AM »
Expand Quote
slap still scrutinizing the lifestyle of a pro loved by basically everyone except the weirdos here on Slap.  in a thread not about him where he was just brought up because he's also black. Furthermore the aspiring financial analysts here can't figure out the math behind how the pro with the most sponsors ever at one time can afford a car and a house.
[close]

Again, the issue wasn’t that he afforded them or what he did with the money, but why a skater who was never considered notable talent-wise, but was seen as a good kid was making Bentley money when you’re average pro was making Honda money.  It’s not specifically about Bentleys, that’s just a symbol for his rarefied levels of earnings he’s made as a skateboarder (which no one has a problem with).

It was/is a discussion on how skateboarding isn’t a meritocracy and how brands value riders because of what they bring to the table as well.  I never knew personally what Theotis brought to the table outside of skateboarding.   Just like I didn’t know what Brophy did.  People are discussing it, sharing tidbits they know.  It’s not some attack on anyone. 

People are on Slap because they’re interested in skateboarding as an activity and as an industry.   Perhaps I, like others, may not express questions/opinions I have as delicately as I could, but spend anytime on the boards beyond the past two weeks when you’ve been trying to stir up helter skelter and you’ll be able to tell the people who are trolls who bear ill-will and say shit just to be outrageous (you) and who are aren’t.

how was he never considered notable skill-wise? theotis is on a similar level of tech skating skill as torey pudwill but with a better style. just watch his chronicles 2 part, i had that shit on repeat when i was 14. i'm sure it might not appeal to you, i kinda grew out of that too but i know for a fact that back then he was one of the top pros on baker next to herman and reynolds, pretty much all of my skate friends fucked with him, we bought baker boards because of him, we wore p-rod 6s because of him, we wore 5 panel hats because of him and as much as i wish that it wasn't true it's the kids like us then that decide what's cool and what's not cool in skateboarding. i just watched that whole video just to know that i'm not biased because of the nostalgia and that fucking banger of a lil wayne song but it still is the second best part of that whole video (ishod is 1st of course), it's just the fits and the pinchless crooked grinds that didn't age well. you just don't like his skating and that's ok, but the fact that YOU don't like it doesn't mean that it's objectively wack and that theotis isn't talented because he sure as fuck is. those average honda-driving pros you mentioned probably don't have the skill, personality and the marketability of theotis, that's why they're driving that beat up 1998 honda accord while theotis is flexing his bentley on insta.

Swithflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -748
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #685 on: March 10, 2021, 04:39:07 AM »

Limited editions with 50/100 pairs and a lot of marketing around it. Sure, few pairs sells fast.

Superstars sells 100 around the world in munites.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 04:46:30 AM by Swithflip »

ungzilla

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 993
« Reply #686 on: March 10, 2021, 05:07:59 AM »
could warren buffett make another post about how interest rates exist? that was really enlightening who knew

hotstudios_on_youtube

• Rep: -64
  • ???
« Reply #687 on: March 10, 2021, 05:22:32 AM »

what source?

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 237
« Reply #688 on: March 10, 2021, 08:57:44 AM »
Reynolds is the Ed Buck of skateboarding.

No I will not explain.

KBizzle

• Rep: -17
« Reply #689 on: March 10, 2021, 09:53:21 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Which is why Adidas is the only one with a shred of dignity.

Nike never wanted to have dignity in the world of skateboarding, I think we all knew that from the jump.