Author Topic: unpopular opinions thread - music edition  (Read 24626 times)

doublesteveburger

unpopular opinions thread - music edition
« on: December 24, 2020, 08:26:15 AM »
thread to post your unpopular opinion pertaining to music

rancid sucks and it’s only saving grace is lars frederickson which balances out tim’s terrible voice (op ivy still slaps but that may be due to jesse)

okay your turn dude

I’m sorry for yelling

pizzafliptofakie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1962
Re: unpopular opinions thread - music edition
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2020, 09:44:02 AM »
While some of the records as a whole aren’t as consistent, I think a lot of the Ramones’ best material came mid to late in their career. Too Tough To Die is probably the record I visit most often.

Technical Ecstasy by Black Sabbath is fine.

I get that it’s not for everyone, but I never understood why ska is the butt of all musical jokes. It’s always been a very interesting and progressive genre. Most of the people who hate on it are really just thinking about Reel Big Fish or something.

I think saying an artist is overrated just because you personally don’t like them is inherently dumb.

blurst_of_times

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 794
    • Skateboarding Magazine Scans avatar image
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2020, 09:47:59 AM »
While some of the records as a whole aren’t as consistent, I think a lot of the Ramones’ best material came mid to late in their career. Too Tough To Die is probably the record I visit most often.

I get that it’s not for everyone, but I never understood why ska is the butt of all musical jokes. It’s always been a very interesting and progressive genre. Most of the people who hate on it are really just thinking about Reel Big Fish or something.

I think saying an artist is overrated just because you personally don’t like them is inherently dumb.
Totally agree with this
There was no wire. Clark's planet needed him.
 Note: Clark Hassler died on the way back to his home planet.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2020, 09:50:57 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Totally agree with this

I’ve had this conversation with a lot of people and almost every time I can think of at least a couple bands or albums that they’ll say they like.

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2020, 10:00:28 AM »

you touch on a lot in this post, but for now, i'll go even further out on this particular limb, and admit that this is my favorite Ramone's song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlMhDfHsfDI

man, ska to me is actually a pretty complex designation, but i am just about 50, so the whole Two-Tone era is probably the most defining era to me...love all of the performances from the film Dance Craze, like these

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzwPO9NtF4w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8qh63nu1OQ

edit: i always figure people got critical of ska, because of what happened to it in the 1990s (i think)...like, aren't bands like No Doubt supposed to be doing some kind of ska shtick?

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2020, 10:03:41 AM »
Bonzo’s a great song. A good example of their later work.

Brguy

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2020, 10:49:02 AM »
Most riffs in the Dio era are really dumbed down.

Sluggloaph

• Rep: 25
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2020, 01:42:30 PM »
I don't think tupac is the best rapper.
Whoa. Danger.

LordManHammer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -323
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2020, 03:21:17 PM »
I believe I’ve mentioned this beforehand but most band’s best albums are their first three.

Not to say that there’s exceptions to this opinion as I can say without a doubt AJJ, Nofx, Bad Religion, and few others I cannot remember definitely get better with age.

Dueces Bitch's

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2020, 03:30:05 PM »
I hate modern hip hop and it being the mainstream popular music.

I miss the day’s of people busting shots at each other over some real beef not this corny ass weak as fuck TSwift vs. Kanye bs put some danger back in to gangster rap.
Dueces Bitch's

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2020, 03:38:13 PM »
I believe I’ve mentioned this beforehand but most band’s best albums are their first three.

Not to say that there’s exceptions to this opinion as I can say without a doubt AJJ, Nofx, Bad Religion, and few others I cannot remember definitely get better with age.

I love NOFX but their first two records are practically unlistenable to me, haha. I think Ribbed is pretty good though.

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2020, 04:54:05 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I love NOFX but their first two records are practically unlistenable to me, haha. I think Ribbed is pretty good though.
No doubt  Liberal Animation & S&M airline's were terrible albums I think Ribbed was rad too but it wasn't their definitive sound but close just a lineup change they made it awesome.

When El Hefe joined in White trash two herbs and a bean that's what I think about when someone says NOFX. 

Now as far as their album that is their smartest album was The Decline and War on Errorism were the pinnacle of not being that too jokey goofy Guttermouth type of band.
Dueces Bitch's

doublesteveburger

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2020, 05:59:12 PM »
so much good shit in this thread but most notable is how ska gets a bad rap and the decline being peak fat mike lyricism

i think tiger army is awesome although I do get the psychobilly disdain - feel like psychobilly as a genre also gets the stink that 90’s ska gets

I have a streetlight manifesto tattoo

skate_or_dingus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 265
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2020, 08:17:14 PM »
- Phil Collins has written some top-tier pop songs.
- Artists/projects like Oneohtrix Point Never and Dean Blunt are the future of popular music.
- Lydia Lunch is a smug, insufferable asshole whose ego overshadows her artistic input/output.
- Easy listening Stereolab is better than krautrock Stereolab.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2020, 08:24:29 PM »
so much good shit in this thread but most notable is how ska gets a bad rap and the decline being peak fat mike lyricism

i think tiger army is awesome although I do get the psychobilly disdain - feel like psychobilly as a genre also gets the stink that 90’s ska gets

man, Streetlight are one of the tightest live bands I've ever seen. Even some of my friends who otherwise don't like any variant of ska like Streetlight. It's almost undeniable.

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2020, 07:06:45 AM »

I like rockabilly too, it's too bad it gets labeled kooky for the wrong characters whom dress like dipshits especially the extreme pompadours and whatnot.

I'm going to disagree with Tiger Army though, I will offer a few bands instead Link Wray,  Robert Gordon, The Cramp's as you most certainly know,  Donny Martindale, Cruisers.
Dueces Bitch's

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2020, 07:44:55 AM »
rancid sucks (and the Clash sucked too) is a name of anal cunt song right? LOL

Yes about modern "hip hop". I think everything Kanye has ever done is corny is AF and don't even get me started on mumble rap...

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
No doubt  Liberal Animation & S&M airline's were terrible albums I think Ribbed was rad too but it wasn't their definitive sound but close just a lineup change they made it awesome.

When El Hefe joined in White trash two herbs and a bean that's what I think about when someone says NOFX. 

Now as far as their album that is their smartest album was The Decline and War on Errorism were the pinnacle of not being that too jokey goofy Guttermouth type of band.
punk in drublic though! Fat Mike said Propagandhi's HTCE kicked everyone's arse and made them get better at writing good riffs. I thought for the longest time that punk in drublic came out before HTCE but it was the other way around.

Speaking of propagandhi: they are my favorite band in the world (and have been since 95-ish) but I don't really rank a lot of the songs on today empires (even though I love Todd and ISPY)

I also don't think slayer is that great and yet I love thrash...

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2020, 08:31:08 AM »

Yes about modern "hip hop". I think everything Kanye has ever done is corny is AF and don't even get me started on mumble rap...

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
punk in drublic though! Fat Mike said Propagandhi's HTCE kicked everyone's arse and made them get better at writing good riffs. I thought for the longest time that punk in drublic came out before HTCE but it was the other way around.

Speaking of propagandhi: they are my favorite band in the world (and have been since 95-ish) but I don't really rank a lot of the songs on today empires (even though I love Todd and ISPY)

I also don't think slayer is that great and yet I love thrash...
Punk in Drublic was a damn fine album I was merely saying when you think of NOFX it’s El Hefe involvement that really congealed their lineup.

Oh god Propagandhi my exbest friend was such a huge advocate for that band.  I did listen to them for a long time, especially that HTCE and Less Talk More Rock was definitely in the queue for me.

Funny story about that HTCE so I’ve been working 3 day’s straight and I’ve got the rest of the week off my flatmates decided to have a day drinking party. Which I didn’t put up much of a fight as I was tired

I needed sleep and wasn’t feeling it at all, so I’m finally getting that good sleep where you’re feeling better than that stupid cheap trick song comes on now mind you we’ve got a shitload of record’s to listen to from any genre and sub genres butttt instead of listening to a multitude of music it’s that one album, finally in a huff of anger and frustration I walk in to the living room and grab the record and frisbee that shit outside like splash in to the man made pond, wtf is wrong with you guy’s?! Of all the bands THIS ONE ALBUM?! Now none of us can listen to it!

I went back to sleep and they continued to party which was fine but holy shit! Try some variety and for the love of god don’t burn a record for other’s by playing that same fucking side over and over and over for fucks sake.

Hmmmm you’re not fan of Slayer eh? They’re a good example of what I was saying beforehand their first 3 albums were rad I believe it was South of Heaven that wasn’t thrash Show no mercy, Hell Awaits, Reign in Blood were respectable albums. Anything afterwards was mehhh.

Dueces Bitch's

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2020, 08:39:13 AM »
White Trash and Punk in Drublic are peak NoFX in my book. That does not mean they did not have good stuff before or after.

Regarding the "3 first album = best" theory, there are many good examples for this, Cypress Hill comes to mind immediately.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2020, 09:35:51 AM »

i can't stand a single song from NOFX, Propagandhi, or Bad Religion--not one...perhaps a generational thing?

Other than the first album (which is foundational)--and a song or two on Join the Army--i don't know why people even think about Suicidal Tendencies

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2020, 09:56:18 AM »

i can't stand a single song from NOFX, Propagandhi, or Bad Religion--not one...perhaps a generational thing?

Other than the first album (which is foundational)--and a song or two on Join the Army--i don't know why people even think about Suicidal Tendencies

You are like my friends’ older brothers who had DRI posters on their wall and I thought—why does everyone like a band That MTV doesn’t even play.

I never liked Metallica, Slayer, Iron Maiden, Anthrax or Megadeath. Never spoke to me. I was definitely an odd ball.

Always preferred early punk for the rawness. To this day I don’t think I listen to any punk recorded post 1983.

I’m basically only interested in the creation of a music style. After the style is created and begins to be refined I feel it is time to move on.

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2020, 09:57:13 AM »
Public Image: First Issue is better than Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIgRQP4Fa-o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6A0Wejod4fs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cifo77azntk

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2020, 10:08:08 AM »

Lights Camera Revolution - and if it's only for You Can't Bring Me Down.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Dante Bichette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • 10th Prestige
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2020, 10:15:46 AM »
Sex Pistols are way overrated.

Black metal is shit, 90% of the songs consist of the same power chord progression and drums. There are some good bands but the vast majority is just bad.
Can someone explain in Fortnite terms?

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2020, 05:56:32 PM »
Suicidal Tendencies were always garbage never liked them always reminded me of DRI meatheads in high school that liked punk shows for trying to go to shows just to pick fights. Fuck that shit and that mentality.
Dueces Bitch's

doublesteveburger

« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2020, 08:00:55 PM »
The Growlers are terrible and I never understood the beach-goth craze.

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2020, 11:29:09 PM »
Weezer's Green album is pretty good. Fleetwood Mac is awful. Elliott Smith's stuff after XO is not quite as good as it and the stuff before it (I don't know if this is controversial but most skate videos use songs from his post-XO material). I think "rock 'n' roll" describes a very specific style of music that is basically 12-bar blues played faster; anything that doesn't fit that criterion, such as most Beatles' songs, is "rock," a different genre of music. The 90s really were the golden age of hip-hop (maybe also not that controversial but could be seen as an old-fashioned take).

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2020, 07:31:10 AM »

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
punk in drublic though! Fat Mike said Propagandhi's HTCE kicked everyone's arse and made them get better at writing good riffs.

Yeah, this and Bad Religion’s Suffer made NOFX a much better band. Ribbed is basically BR worship lol.

Also, I think Andrew WK’s second album is his best one.

Ilya Oblomov

• Rep: 14
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2020, 07:51:42 AM »
Shannon and the Clams.

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2020, 08:39:21 AM »
Shannon and the Clams.
You have to admit for what they're trying to do is admirable......  They got the right fit but I mean really is it that good NO not really it's about average for a 60's inspired doowop band.
Dueces Bitch's