Author Topic: FA/Hockey Shapes  (Read 25137 times)

Frank and Fred

Re: FA/Hockey Shapes
« Reply #180 on: July 08, 2021, 01:31:07 PM »
I'm losing it trying to restrain myself from trying that new Hockey shape.

Expand Quote
Took the risers off my Hockey set up today. What a difference... wheel bite be dammed...
[close]

Best setup I ever skated was a Hockey 8.5", Ace 44s, 1/8" Risers, and 56mm wheels. I had it with no risers initially and loved it, but the wheelbite was just more than I could manage.

yeah, thats's my set up. my 56s are prob below 54 at this point though. man, i couldn't get anything going with the risers and i use risers on most set ups. could barely even nollie. now that i can pop again, the steep nose and tail feel great. i have never noticed such a drastic change by removing/ adding risers before.  classics instead of classic fulls might limit a bit more wheelbite but i'll just have to land properly instead...

or maybe i could add the 1/16th" Ace shock pads i have...

... the madness...

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #181 on: July 08, 2021, 01:47:03 PM »
Expand Quote
I'm losing it trying to restrain myself from trying that new Hockey shape.

Expand Quote
Took the risers off my Hockey set up today. What a difference... wheel bite be dammed...
[close]

Best setup I ever skated was a Hockey 8.5", Ace 44s, 1/8" Risers, and 56mm wheels. I had it with no risers initially and loved it, but the wheelbite was just more than I could manage.
[close]

yeah, thats's my set up. my 56s are prob below 54 at this point though. man, i couldn't get anything going with the risers and i use risers on most set ups. could barely even nollie. now that i can pop again, the steep nose and tail feel great. i have never noticed such a drastic change by removing/ adding risers before.  classics instead of classic fulls might limit a bit more wheelbite but i'll just have to land properly instead...

or maybe i could add the 1/16th" Ace shock pads i have...

... the madness...

Love the 1/16" shock pads. Let me know how you feel about them if you try them. I am in the minority in that I like a softer riser.

Damoforce

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 24
    • YouTube Channel avatar image
« Reply #182 on: July 12, 2021, 05:12:24 PM »
I finished my Hockey deck, after getting used to it I did enjoy the shape.

Now the question is, what other decks out there have the same sort of nice fullness to the nose and tail? Looking in the 8.25 realm again. I just got a Zero and it's a massive shock to the system
Just an older guy trying to learn to Skateboard over 30 with developing gear madness syndrome

Join me on YouTube for skateboarding, reviews and ect

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #183 on: July 12, 2021, 08:17:10 PM »

Now the question is, what other decks out there have the same sort of nice fullness to the nose and tail? Looking in the 8.25 realm again. I just got a Zero and it's a massive shock to the system

If you wanna stay with BBS, Krooked 8.38 Manderson shape is really similar, slightly less steep kicks though so it feels a little longer/more sluggish than a similar sized Hockey.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 852
« Reply #184 on: July 12, 2021, 10:26:37 PM »
Does anyone have a side/profile pic of the new 8.44? I'm intrigued but if its just the standard bbs popsicle shape (which certainly fits the description of more tapered and a bit mellower) then I'm not really interested.

Mantracker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 160
« Reply #185 on: July 13, 2021, 03:09:25 PM »

FA (obviously), Quasi, Pizza, Alien Workshop, WKND

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 516
« Reply #186 on: July 13, 2021, 04:09:29 PM »
stepped on that new hockey 8.44 tapered mellow shape at my local. kicks and concave are still kinda steep imo, but less so than the normal ones. Kicks aren't square, but a nice full round, defs not pointy, looks much more pleasing to the eye

bluntfullofmid

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 0
« Reply #187 on: July 13, 2021, 04:23:12 PM »
stepped on that new hockey 8.44 tapered mellow shape at my local. kicks and concave are still kinda steep imo, but less so than the normal ones. Kicks aren't square, but a nice full round, defs not pointy, looks much more pleasing to the eye

ive been scowering instagram to see if anyone has taken a pic of the shape cause the photo on the FA site doesnt really help.  I wanna give Nik Stain but money but I gotta see what this shape is talking about
"yall act like abusin' women is so bad."
- Crailtap

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1111
« Reply #188 on: July 13, 2021, 05:42:35 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

If you wanna stay with BBS, Krooked 8.38 Manderson shape is really similar, slightly less steep kicks though so it feels a little longer/more sluggish than a similar sized Hockey.

Krooked used to have that short shape that drehobl supposedly rode. And it was tight. Lately it seems like their boards are all pretty long. Can’t do it. Sluggish and then I’m just constantly whining. Terrible.

John Kreese

• Rep: -22
« Reply #189 on: July 13, 2021, 05:53:18 PM »
Very stoked they are making 8.75 and 9.0 for Hockey. The shapes look pretty similar to AH Eagles in the same size.

Damoforce

• Rep: 24
    • YouTube Channel avatar image
« Reply #190 on: July 14, 2021, 04:50:30 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

FA (obviously), Quasi, Pizza, Alien Workshop, WKND

Thanks for this!
Just an older guy trying to learn to Skateboard over 30 with developing gear madness syndrome

Join me on YouTube for skateboarding, reviews and ect

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #191 on: July 14, 2021, 03:00:58 PM »
New 8.44 shape sounds sick. Kinda sounds like it might be the same shape as the dlx 8.5 with more accurate measurements though. Haven't seen it in person however, so that is just me speculating.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 516
« Reply #192 on: July 14, 2021, 03:20:12 PM »
New 8.44 shape sounds sick. Kinda sounds like it might be the same shape as the dlx 8.5 with more accurate measurements though. Haven't seen it in person however, so that is just me speculating.

I think a bit steeper than the 8.5 navy antihero, at least the one I stood on.

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #193 on: July 15, 2021, 06:07:25 AM »
I have one I just setup last night at home. I'll try to remember and put up some top/side profile pictures for you guys. I've ridden the shorter 8.5 DLX shape before and this doesn't seem quite the same. I didn't check WB but the length is 31.89. I would say it is a little steeper like tzhang mentioned. Not normal FA steep though.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #194 on: July 16, 2021, 02:05:09 PM »
Gnars for whoever posts a picture of the 8.44 shape with a top view of the whole board and a side view of the whole board.
Thinking about picking one up but want a better idea of what the shape looks like first before I spend any sort of money on one.

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #195 on: July 16, 2021, 07:49:42 PM »
Got caught up and completely forgot to post pics.
In the side profile Pic the bottom side is the nose. I also have a few more pictures in the album here
https://imgur.com/a/rDLcRMC
The measurement pics of the tail and tailside width over the bolts failed to upload though. Tail length is accurate and it does measure the same over the bolts nose and tail.
The free standing deck is an 8.25 polar just for reference. I think the FA is definitely steeper still but not extremely.

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #196 on: July 16, 2021, 08:27:52 PM »
In the side profile Pic the bottom side is the nose. I also have a few more pictures in the album here
The measurement pics of the tail and tailside width over the bolts failed to upload though. Tail length is accurate and it does measure the same over the bolts nose and tail.
The free standing deck is an 8.25 polar just for reference. I think the FA is definitely steeper still but not extremely.

Dog toes

stupidfuckface

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 20
« Reply #197 on: July 17, 2021, 02:45:28 PM »
Would love to try the standard full shape on something that wasn’t hell concave. Don’t get me wrong, I love them as is, but would be cool to see how that shape works with a flat or mellow concave..

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #198 on: July 17, 2021, 06:39:15 PM »
Would love to try the standard full shape on something that wasn’t hell concave. Don’t get me wrong, I love them as is, but would be cool to see how that shape works with a flat or mellow concave..

Try a quasi

stupidfuckface

• Rep: 20
« Reply #199 on: July 19, 2021, 08:17:23 AM »
I hate PS... well I take that back, they are usually amazing for the first two or three sessions. They sog out hella quick for me, fucking nanotubes...

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 986
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #200 on: July 22, 2021, 01:32:41 PM »
I hate PS... well I take that back, they are usually amazing for the first two or three sessions. They sog out hella quick for me, fucking nanotubes...

Yup, boards last just under 2 weeks, if not less before they sog out.

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 542
« Reply #201 on: July 22, 2021, 01:41:54 PM »
Hopped on a FA 8.5 w/ a 14.25WB after 3-4 Quasi decks with the same dimension.

And while I'm still getting used to the HUMONGOUS nose, I'm actually liking the steeper kicks. I feel like I can ollie and scoop the board better.

nosneb

• Rep: 90
« Reply #202 on: July 22, 2021, 02:05:50 PM »

Y’all really think this is mellow or tapered shape? Lmaoo this is pretty normal full round shape and pretty normal concave standards.
Taper shapes more like whatever dgk baker or Jeremy Klein decks are very pointy shaped. 

GooseDick69

• Rep: 2
« Reply #203 on: August 10, 2021, 07:32:13 PM »
Sitting here staring at the Hockey 8.38 I got myself as a gift, frazzled about if I'm running my classic 44s, my AF155S my gf got me, or the forged hollow 149s I traded a bag of weed for. My adhd is full flare, and I feel like I'm about to stay up all night swapping every conceivable combination I can come up with, only to skate it, and hate it and do it all over again. Goddammit.
Rap, Go to the league, or do a Kickflip.

superleftswipebby

• Rep: 12
« Reply #204 on: August 24, 2021, 05:47:30 PM »
anyone skate berle’s shape? how’s the concave?

i’m almost at the end of this louie deck and i really disliked the shape n concave. way too flat

switchfrontshuv

• Rep: 48
« Reply #205 on: August 24, 2021, 10:12:17 PM »
Sitting here staring at the Hockey 8.38 I got myself as a gift, frazzled about if I'm running my classic 44s, my AF155S my gf got me, or the forged hollow 149s I traded a bag of weed for. My adhd is full flare, and I feel like I'm about to stay up all night swapping every conceivable combination I can come up with, only to skate it, and hate it and do it all over again. Goddammit.

THEYRE ALL THE SAME THEYRE ALL GONAN FEEL THE SAME

finalist

• Rep: 6
« Reply #206 on: October 11, 2021, 10:03:00 AM »
Interesting deck weight.

I have three FA Hockey decks. Each are the same shape 8.18" designs and gripped with mob. Two weigh 1350 grams (just deck with full mob grip) but the third weighs over a 100 grams less at 1225grams. The lighter one is the felt Gino model while the other two that are 1350 grams are the Santana deck and the Hockey Villians deck.

the only thing I can think is the lighter deck is a couple seasons older and they changed manufacturing specs at some point OR the lighter one is just some error design. I weighed a bunch of other brands around the same shape and they all weigh over 1300 grams. it's so strange that the one deck is 1225 - it's noticeably lighter feeling.

Any info?

left knee cap

• Rep: 118
  • $$$$
« Reply #207 on: October 11, 2021, 11:14:42 AM »

currently running the 8.44 shape. i’ve sessioned it a couple times since this photo was taken but i agree with the other posts here that it is definitely hella steep, i’ve caught myself ghost popping a couple times. not sure how i feel about it. running with ace 55 af1s and 54mm conical full.

burm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 134
« Reply #208 on: October 12, 2021, 08:16:21 AM »
Interesting deck weight.

I have three FA Hockey decks. Each are the same shape 8.18" designs and gripped with mob. Two weigh 1350 grams (just deck with full mob grip) but the third weighs over a 100 grams less at 1225grams. The lighter one is the felt Gino model while the other two that are 1350 grams are the Santana deck and the Hockey Villians deck.

the only thing I can think is the lighter deck is a couple seasons older and they changed manufacturing specs at some point OR the lighter one is just some error design. I weighed a bunch of other brands around the same shape and they all weigh over 1300 grams. it's so strange that the one deck is 1225 - it's noticeably lighter feeling.

Any info?

If the lighter one is noticeably older, could it be that it’s just more dry, surely some water might start evaporating once you wear away the sealant and break some nanotubes
take what small comfort there may be left
seize what you love and damn all the rest

finalist

• Rep: 6
« Reply #209 on: October 12, 2021, 08:35:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Interesting deck weight.

Any info?

[close]
If the lighter one is noticeably older, could it be that it’s just more dry, surely some water might start evaporating once you wear away the sealant and break some nanotubes

What's all this about nanotubes? I know it started with PSchmitt.

I measured the decks and the lighter one is about half a mm thinner which would explain the weight. I wonder what FA Hockey decks made in 2020 typically weigh compared to 2021 made decks of the same size?
So far I can feel the weight difference in hand but not when skating. Maybe the newer decks are purposely designed to be thicker and stronger or that one batch of 2020 decks was just mistakenly thinner. Given all my crail tap decks weigh about what the newer FA decks weigh I'm guessing the lighter deck just suffers from covid manufacturing issues.