Author Topic: FA/Hockey Shapes  (Read 25164 times)

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: FA/Hockey Shapes
« Reply #150 on: May 25, 2021, 10:50:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
What trucks does everyone like to ride on their hockey / fa - 8.25 wb 14.125
[close]

Currently on AF1 44s on an 8.25 FA. Ive used 149 forged hollow too, pretty much interchangeable. 8.18 w/ 14” WB is perfect for Venture 5.6
[close]

I'm riding 8.25 FAs with Venture 5.6s hollows... sometimes 8.18s. But I'm kinda missing my Indy 149 forged hollows on a FA 8.25. It's probably just my stupid madness. Any suggestions on which combo is preferred:
8.18 + 5.6 hollow
or
8.25 + 149 forged hollow
[close]

hard to choose but 8.25 + 149 forged is an all terrain beast. 8.18 with 5.6 feels great for flat ground
[close]

trying to learn more tranny... fuck it, i'm going for the wider truck/board again. thx for the input. so bummed that hollow venture 5.8s are not available where i live.
they arent available in general. dlx been lacking for about a year now on 5.8 hollows/titaniums
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

l1ll1ll1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 56
« Reply #151 on: May 25, 2021, 11:38:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Currently on AF1 44s on an 8.25 FA. Ive used 149 forged hollow too, pretty much interchangeable. 8.18 w/ 14” WB is perfect for Venture 5.6
[close]

I'm riding 8.25 FAs with Venture 5.6s hollows... sometimes 8.18s. But I'm kinda missing my Indy 149 forged hollows on a FA 8.25. It's probably just my stupid madness. Any suggestions on which combo is preferred:
8.18 + 5.6 hollow
or
8.25 + 149 forged hollow
[close]

hard to choose but 8.25 + 149 forged is an all terrain beast. 8.18 with 5.6 feels great for flat ground
[close]

trying to learn more tranny... fuck it, i'm going for the wider truck/board again. thx for the input. so bummed that hollow venture 5.8s are not available where i live.
[close]
they arent available in general. dlx been lacking for about a year now on 5.8 hollows/titaniums

aah, ok, so it's not just me or specific to germany/switzerland. even thought of going crazy with 8.5s + 6.1 hollows, since they are available... but who could handle that.

except kader.

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #152 on: May 25, 2021, 02:16:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

8.18 + 5.6 hollow
or
8.25 + 149 forged hollow
[close]

[close]

V-hollow 5.8s are impossible to get anywhere right now from what I’ve seen. Super bummer

Pee nis

• Rep: 20
« Reply #153 on: May 25, 2021, 03:25:30 PM »
Will chime in and say that 5.6 v-hollows feel godly on 8.18 fa/hockey. Favorite setup I’ve used easily

slappy50

• Rep: 17
  • gear madness abounds
« Reply #154 on: June 01, 2021, 08:51:04 AM »
i busted the nose off my hockey 9' the other day on an ollie on flat. kinda sad about it since i really liked that deck. nice and poppy all the way through. i'm not a particularly big guy either, idk what happened. is there anything that i could do to warranty it or something, or do i just have to take the L on this one?  (not sure if here is the place for this, but i didnt want to start a new thread for this)
niggling

[/quote]

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 992
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #155 on: June 01, 2021, 09:42:46 AM »
i busted the nose off my hockey 9' the other day on an ollie on flat. kinda sad about it since i really liked that deck. nice and poppy all the way through. i'm not a particularly big guy either, idk what happened. is there anything that i could do to warranty it or something, or do i just have to take the L on this one?  (not sure if here is the place for this, but i didnt want to start a new thread for this)

Did that snap at the inner bolts?

skatesum609

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 94
« Reply #156 on: June 01, 2021, 09:43:36 AM »
Charge it to the game. I’ve snapped plenty of boards the first day skating em. Shit happens

slappy50

• gear madness abounds
« Reply #157 on: June 01, 2021, 10:48:33 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

yea, snapped like this https://ibb.co/MnCyp1W
i havent broken a board while skating before, partially due to the fact that im bad but i dont think ive seen one break before the bolts
niggling

[/quote]

twic3

• Rep: 16
« Reply #158 on: June 01, 2021, 11:10:03 AM »
It happens if you tighten your bolts too much

slappy50

• gear madness abounds
« Reply #159 on: June 01, 2021, 05:37:57 PM »
i didnt have my bolts tightened down hella or anything, but good to know
niggling

[/quote]

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #160 on: June 02, 2021, 07:37:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
yea, snapped like this
https://ibb.co/MnCyp1W
i havent broken a board while skating before, partially due to the fact that im bad but i dont think ive seen one break before the bolts

Boards can only take so much up to a point and as much as that one looked like it was fairly clean straight through the bolts, that particular landing might not have been the main cause, more so just the straw that broke the camels back, so to speak.

That is also not to say that some people have found boards a bit more prone to breakage since covid restrictions and possibilities like the woodshops are not allowing decks to cure for as long as they should, but that is neither here nor there in the grand scheme of things, as the board is not covered under warranty if it breaks from pressure like that, only from manufacturing defects, delamination, etc.

When you take it apart, have a look at the bottom side of the deck and see if the truck has cut into the wood at all.

If this is the case, then yes pressure on top makes the truck actually put a sharp edge on the board which will cause it to break so much more easily than if the truck was a bit more rounded on the edge of the baseplate (which you can fix by grinding off the sharp edge of the baseplate, I even just did it on concrete gutter or footpath / sidewalk).

https://www.instagram.com/stories/highlights/17849429405077650/

* I can send you the link to the post if you like - just putting up too many Instagram posts in threads is a bit much sometimes.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2021, 07:44:54 AM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -761
« Reply #161 on: June 04, 2021, 12:39:30 PM »
I've fallen in love with this FA shape. It's PERFECT with venture hollow 5.0 with 3 washers on inside axle.

Only problem is FA decks are 20 quid more expensive than other decks where I'm from.

Does anyone know if any other company uses this shape / dims?

8 x 31.66 x 14
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Hash Slinging Slasher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #162 on: June 04, 2021, 01:35:38 PM »
I've fallen in love with this FA shape. It's PERFECT with venture hollow 5.0 with 3 washers on inside axle.

Only problem is FA decks are 20 quid more expensive than other decks where I'm from.

8 x 31.66 x 14
i like that shape a lot too. not exactly the same but dlx does 8.125 x 31.4 x 14 and i think i like that one even more

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -761
« Reply #163 on: June 04, 2021, 01:54:10 PM »
Expand Quote

8 x 31.66 x 14
[close]
i like that shape a lot too. not exactly the same but dlx does 8.125 x 31.4 x 14 and i think i like that one even more

Thanks mate.

After much searching looks like Girl has one with similar dims too

https://www.skatedeluxe.com/en/girl-gass-93-til-8-deck-yellow_p148607
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

vicious cycle

• Rep: 165
« Reply #164 on: June 06, 2021, 05:58:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
yea, snapped like this
https://ibb.co/MnCyp1W
[close]

Boards can only take so much up to a point and as much as that one looked like it was fairly clean straight through the bolts, that particular landing might not have been the main cause, more so just the straw that broke the camels back, so to speak.

That is also not to say that some people have found boards a bit more prone to breakage since covid restrictions and possibilities like the woodshops are not allowing decks to cure for as long as they should, but that is neither here nor there in the grand scheme of things, as the board is not covered under warranty if it breaks from pressure like that, only from manufacturing defects, delamination, etc.

When you take it apart, have a look at the bottom side of the deck and see if the truck has cut into the wood at all.

If this is the case, then yes pressure on top makes the truck actually put a sharp edge on the board which will cause it to break so much more easily than if the truck was a bit more rounded on the edge of the baseplate (which you can fix by grinding off the sharp edge of the baseplate, I even just did it on concrete gutter or footpath / sidewalk).

https://www.instagram.com/stories/highlights/17849429405077650/

* I can send you the link to the post if you like - just putting up too many Instagram posts in threads is a bit much sometimes.
I broke 3 dlx , 1 deathwish and 2 magenta boards in a row last year. All the same way. Directly on the inner bolts, skating flat.
I loosened my bolts and I rounded the underside of my baseplates like Mbrimson
said. But I snapped another real board after this so I tried a layer of an old bike tube between plate and board. Helped a lot. No broken boards after this. I then tryed some shortys dooks 1/8 shockpads with the same result.
So far no broken board.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 06:13:35 AM by vicious cycle »
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #165 on: July 04, 2021, 05:20:48 PM »
Sampled my first Hockey today. 8.5" x 14.25" AA. I knew the nose and tail were steep before I even set it up but it really threw me off when I went to pop my first few tricks. Going to take some breaking in and getting used. Feels super solid though and the concave is nice.

Joe Davola

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 60
« Reply #166 on: July 04, 2021, 05:39:25 PM »
It happens if you tighten your bolts too much
Lmao.

white guy in a durag

• Rep: 230
  • 0 days since last ankle injury
« Reply #167 on: July 07, 2021, 11:07:16 AM »
Hockey's got a new tapered shape in the line up; who wants to be the guinea pig?

https://faworldentertainment.com/collections/new-shit/products/ninja
https://faworldentertainment.com/collections/new-shit/products/fireball

Quote from: Jason Dill
8.44" x 31.89"
6.92" Nose
6.51" Tail
14.19" Wheel Base.
More Mellow Concave With Tapered Nose & Tail Than Traditional FA or Hockey Board Shape.

DaleCooper

• Rep: 4
« Reply #168 on: July 07, 2021, 11:19:42 AM »
Hockey's got a new tapered shape in the line up; who wants to be the guinea pig?

Expand Quote
8.44" x 31.89"
6.92" Nose
6.51" Tail
14.19" Wheel Base.
More Mellow Concave With Tapered Nose & Tail Than Traditional FA or Hockey Board Shape.
[close]

Will report with results. Just ordered.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #169 on: July 07, 2021, 01:05:03 PM »
Expand Quote

Expand Quote
8.44" x 31.89"
6.92" Nose
6.51" Tail
14.19" Wheel Base.
[close]
[close]

Shape looks very nice.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #170 on: July 07, 2021, 06:07:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Expand Quote
8.44" x 31.89"
6.92" Nose
6.51" Tail
14.19" Wheel Base.
[close]
[close]

[close]

Shape looks very nice.

Could be dope. I find their bbs stuff not for me. It’s just too much/too steep/too much concave etc.
These shapes look good.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -210
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #171 on: July 07, 2021, 06:10:03 PM »
Wait, so are they PS or BBS? PS has been getting mushy in 1.5 weeks as of late.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #172 on: July 07, 2021, 06:39:58 PM »

Bbs I’m pretty sure.

I’ve had some Meh ps boards, but all the bbs shit I’ve had lately has been wack. Still want the Ishod tt.
I had an evisen, feels….weird/stuff/not great pop. Kinda fake feeling, no spring.
After Fletch had the praise for hlc, made me really want one, but dunno who does em in the usa

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -210
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #173 on: July 07, 2021, 06:41:26 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

As much as I can’t wrap my head around it, Palace boards have skated the best for me as of late. Yay Dwindle wood?

Bbs I’m pretty sure.

I’ve had some Meh ps boards, but all the bbs shit I’ve had lately has been wack. Still want the Ishod tt.
I had an evisen, feels….weird/stuff/not great pop. Kinda fake feeling, no spring.
After Fletch had the praise for hlc, made me really want one, but dunno who does em in the usa
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #174 on: July 07, 2021, 06:42:36 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Bbs I’m pretty sure.

Easiest HLC to get in the US is Sour. Great boards. The S1 shape is great.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #175 on: July 07, 2021, 08:49:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Bbs I’m pretty sure.

[close]

Easiest HLC to get in the US is Sour. Great boards. The S1 shape is great.

Thanks!!
Cafe looks dope too. Anyways, will look. I’m a rut/groove on boardshop, good to switch it up

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 334
« Reply #176 on: July 08, 2021, 12:16:51 AM »
I ordered as well. Great that they are open to mixing it up a little.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #177 on: July 08, 2021, 12:15:30 PM »
Took the risers off my Hockey set up today. What a difference... wheel bite be dammed...

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #178 on: July 08, 2021, 12:22:39 PM »
I'm losing it trying to restrain myself from trying that new Hockey shape.

Took the risers off my Hockey set up today. What a difference... wheel bite be dammed...

Best setup I ever skated was a Hockey 8.5", Ace 44s, 1/8" Risers, and 56mm wheels. I had it with no risers initially and loved it, but the wheelbite was just more than I could manage.

al_cvbrera

« Reply #179 on: July 08, 2021, 12:32:17 PM »
I just got a 8.25 FA board actually about 2 weeks ago. and man oh man let me tell you. i fucking love it. the big square nose took little to no time to get used to.

the thing about the big nose is that you simply just need to flick a little bit of a longer distance to get the full rotation on things like kickflips.

if your form is off, then the trick is off. BUT BRO

if your form is on point, because of how the board is shaped i suppose, the trick feels amazing and like you did it perfectly. the size and shape of the nose gives alot of feedback on how your technique was, if that makes sense.

grinds and slides on it are so comfy.

the big nose is really nice for trying to blast ollies when you're hill bombing or something because theres just more room for your foot to snag onto.

riding your board backwards and popping off the nose gets you so much more height too because of how steep it is. the tail is hmmm, i'd say half mellow and half steep.

i love em. i'll definitely be getting more decks from FA/Hockey.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 12:58:34 PM by al_cvbrera »