Author Topic: FA/Hockey Shapes  (Read 25594 times)

topfrog10

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 6
Re: FA/Hockey Shapes
« Reply #120 on: March 24, 2021, 12:13:17 PM »
i've noticed since getting a hockey deck these boards feel so much heavier than my other decks i've ridden (wknd, real, baker). is there a reason why these boards are heavier? i don't think this is just this deck either because i've ridden other hockey decks that my homies had and those also feel much heavier

Frank and Fred

« Reply #121 on: March 24, 2021, 12:52:14 PM »
Funny you mention that. I picked up an Antihero the other day (also BBS) and felt up two of the exact same model just to look at the different color ways. One was noticeably heavier than the other. Also, the shop owner said a couple of customers had returned some BBS decks recently after very premature and unusual breaks (flat ground ollie breaking the tail almost clean off). Something could be up with BBS as they rush decks out the door or maybe something is up with the wood supply. Who knows...? but there appears to be some quality issues at the moment.

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #122 on: March 25, 2021, 10:35:02 AM »

not shape related but who's deck is this? diego todd just posted
sorry if its obvious im just dumb

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #123 on: March 25, 2021, 10:54:20 AM »

This has gotten me really curious now as well. Kinda looks like a young strobeck possibly. Could also be one of the french guys from the Paris supreme team.

topfrog10

« Reply #124 on: March 25, 2021, 02:30:01 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This has gotten me really curious now as well. Kinda looks like a young strobeck possibly. Could also be one of the french guys from the Paris supreme team.
don't think it's strobeck, he's got a kid pick on his ig and it looks pretty different

CaderSk8r

• Rep: 19
« Reply #125 on: March 25, 2021, 07:09:49 PM »

Kinda looks like hjalte

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1311
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #126 on: March 26, 2021, 07:25:43 AM »
Kinda looks like jack o grady. Very unlikely as passport just turned him pro. Would be so fucked if they poached him that I would probably boycott fa out of principle.

Kombuch-A-Holic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
« Reply #127 on: March 26, 2021, 07:54:58 AM »
Kinda looks like jack o grady. Very unlikely as passport just turned him pro. Would be so fucked if they poached him that I would probably boycott fa out of principle.

I think it is him!! WTF. Not Hjalte..the ear lobes don't match. Eye color, lobes, nose, dimples look pretty spot on to Jack. Freckles too!

I'm bored don't judge me. lol

But at that age they all look alike. haha

topfrog10

« Reply #128 on: March 26, 2021, 07:09:26 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think it is him!! WTF. Not Hjalte..the ear lobes don't match. Eye color, lobes, nose, dimples look pretty spot on to Jack. Freckles too!

I'm bored don't judge me. lol

But at that age they all look alike. haha

i would actually be super bummed if it's him. i super dig pass~ports brand and video style that comes with him currently and i think him going on FA would be a huge loss to aussie skateboarding. the fa guys shred but there's something about him i don't think would fit on the team.

michael scarn

« Reply #129 on: March 27, 2021, 09:42:58 AM »
i've noticed since getting a hockey deck these boards feel so much heavier than my other decks i've ridden (wknd, real, baker). is there a reason why these boards are heavier? i don't think this is just this deck either because i've ridden other hockey decks that my homies had and those also feel much heavier

I noticed the same thing. Maybe because the nose and tail are so full it adds some extra weight

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 335
« Reply #130 on: March 27, 2021, 03:07:31 PM »
Jack is not on FA, you idiots. Biggest clutching of straws I've ever seen.

Clearly that board is a fake/joke. The E at the end of Awesome is never that far on the edge of the board for any of their class photo boards.

sammyz

• Rep: 82
« Reply #131 on: March 27, 2021, 03:35:54 PM »
So when you guys say FA decks are steep, how steep are we talking here? I usually ride Anti hero and Real, and the steepest decks ive ridden are santa cruz VX...is it as steep at the VX or closer to DLX

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1040
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #132 on: March 27, 2021, 04:44:18 PM »
So when you guys say FA decks are steep, how steep are we talking here? I usually ride Anti hero and Real, and the steepest decks ive ridden are santa cruz VX...is it as steep at the VX or closer to DLX

It is a different feeling from any Santa Cruz or other woodshop like Dwindle, that have flat angled kicks, where the flat of the bolts area then goes directly up and stays the same to the tip of the tail.

Still curved (spoon shaped) from the bolts like all BBS pressed decks, but they definitely feel a lot more angled than other BBS decks.

I have a I and a IV of the same board from DLX and the difference is significant, but I still feel like those FA boards are steeper than that again when I have had a stand on some.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Damoforce

• Rep: 24
    • YouTube Channel avatar image
« Reply #133 on: May 20, 2021, 02:21:15 AM »
What trucks does everyone like to ride on their hockey / fa - 8.25 wb 14.125
Just an older guy trying to learn to Skateboard over 30 with developing gear madness syndrome

Join me on YouTube for skateboarding, reviews and ect

Paperclip20

• Rep: 138
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #134 on: May 20, 2021, 04:46:15 AM »

I really liked mine with thunder teams. Indy hollows were good too

blueskynoise

• Rep: 28
« Reply #135 on: May 20, 2021, 05:38:30 AM »

Currently on AF1 44s on an 8.25 FA. Ive used 149 forged hollow too, pretty much interchangeable. 8.18 w/ 14” WB is perfect for Venture 5.6

90sDamiano

• Rep: -82
« Reply #136 on: May 21, 2021, 07:21:14 AM »

They’re steep af, if u ride deluxe imagine their full shapes but even steeper. Tbh I’ve never seen a nose point that far up in the air. I love FA but I can’t ride the boards, they make nollie tricks almost impossible for me.

superleftswipebby

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 12
« Reply #137 on: May 21, 2021, 10:08:48 AM »
been skating 8.5 fa & hockey decks lately. i really dig the aidan shape a lot. the krod shape is similar but feels a bit funky on indys.

anyone else have their noses become round and narrow after one-two sessions?

Kombuch-A-Holic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
« Reply #138 on: May 21, 2021, 11:51:02 AM »

I'm skating indy 144's on my hockey 8.25's w/ 51mm tablets.  Had them on a 8.38 too just lost half my flip tricks.

Gustavofring

« Reply #139 on: May 22, 2021, 09:18:20 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'm skating indy 144's on my hockey 8.25's w/ 51mm tablets.  Had them on a 8.38 too just lost half my flip tricks.
Switched to venture 5”6 because of this and my life has changed drastically for the better

gyros4heroes

• Rep: -27
« Reply #140 on: May 23, 2021, 05:54:39 AM »
Funny you mention that. I picked up an Antihero the other day (also BBS) and felt up two of the exact same model just to look at the different color ways. One was noticeably heavier than the other. Also, the shop owner said a couple of customers had returned some BBS decks recently after very premature and unusual breaks (flat ground ollie breaking the tail almost clean off). Something could be up with BBS as they rush decks out the door or maybe something is up with the wood supply. Who knows...? but there appears to be some quality issues at the moment.
last bbs deck i skated(carpet) i was literally able to bend the nose after a couple of weeks

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -115
  • 1,2,3,4, tell the people what she wore...
« Reply #141 on: May 23, 2021, 06:03:07 AM »
Currently on an 8.38 FA and/or Hockey kick. Flat, broad nose and tail.

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -115
  • 1,2,3,4, tell the people what she wore...
« Reply #142 on: May 23, 2021, 06:05:56 AM »
Anyone run thunders on Hockey decks?

I skate 148 lights and i've got an 8.18 Hockey deck in the pile, wondering how it'll skate.

Yes, these are the trucks I currently have. When I first got them, I set them up with a new 8.25 AA Hockey deck and I felt like it was a close call/perfect in terms of the trucks sticking out. No issues with wheel bite either. However with an 8.38 or 8.5, I’m gold.

Damoforce

• Rep: 24
    • YouTube Channel avatar image
« Reply #143 on: May 23, 2021, 08:58:22 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I've decided to roll with my Indy 144 forged hollows to start with. I got the 14.125 WB 8.25. Might try the Thunders 148 hollow lights if I end up having too much or a bad time
Just an older guy trying to learn to Skateboard over 30 with developing gear madness syndrome

Join me on YouTube for skateboarding, reviews and ect

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 832
« Reply #144 on: May 23, 2021, 09:20:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I've decided to roll with my Indy 144 forged hollows to start with. I got the 14.125 WB 8.25. Might try the Thunders 148 hollow lights if I end up having too much or a bad time

Thunders with forged baseplates are the best truck for the 8.25 hockey/FA shape in my book. I definitely think mid height is the way to go and Thunder forged just has the right combo of height and wb to make it not such a chore to pop. Indys always feel too heavy on them for some reason, even the titaniums. Aces on a 14.12 wb is a bit of an adjustment but they work pretty well too, and despite being significantly heavier than indy tits they have a lighter pop feel on those decks so I think the height is kind of the key for dialing in those super steep setups.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -767
« Reply #145 on: May 23, 2021, 11:50:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Thunders with forged baseplates are the best truck for the 8.25 hockey/FA shape in my book. I definitely think mid height is the way to go and Thunder forged just has the right combo of height and wb to make it not such a chore to pop. Indys always feel too heavy on them for some reason, even the titaniums. Aces on a 14.12 wb is a bit of an adjustment but they work pretty well too, and despite being significantly heavier than indy tits they have a lighter pop feel on those decks so I think the height is kind of the key for dialing in those super steep setups.

Serious fountain of knowledge.

I'm riding venture low 5.2 cast on my FA 8" , 14wb

I'm thinking of getting the v hollow low 5.2 tomorrow just to lighten thing's up a little.

Good idea or will the change in wb be disastrous.
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 832
« Reply #146 on: May 24, 2021, 02:13:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Serious fountain of knowledge.

I'm riding venture low 5.2 cast on my FA 8" , 14wb

I'm thinking of getting the v hollow low 5.2 tomorrow just to lighten thing's up a little.

Good idea or will the change in wb be disastrous.

Can't say for sure. I don't know if I've ever actually skated ventures on an FA, I'm sure I have but I just don't remember anything about it. Ive never tried cast plate lows, but I do notice a fairly substantial change when I go from 5.6 standard to 5.6 hollow or vice versa. Not sure if it's just a height thing or what but I don't really get along with the cast plates too well. 5.2 V hollow is a pretty versatile truck though, they feel good on 8.25s and have enough room on the axle to add a few speed rings and push the wheels out a bit.

l1ll1ll1

• Rep: 56
« Reply #147 on: May 24, 2021, 03:06:12 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Currently on AF1 44s on an 8.25 FA. Ive used 149 forged hollow too, pretty much interchangeable. 8.18 w/ 14” WB is perfect for Venture 5.6

I'm riding 8.25 FAs with Venture 5.6s hollows... sometimes 8.18s. But I'm kinda missing my Indy 149 forged hollows on a FA 8.25. It's probably just my stupid madness. Any suggestions on which combo is preferred:
8.18 + 5.6 hollow
or
8.25 + 149 forged hollow

blueskynoise

• Rep: 28
« Reply #148 on: May 24, 2021, 04:32:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I'm riding 8.25 FAs with Venture 5.6s hollows... sometimes 8.18s. But I'm kinda missing my Indy 149 forged hollows on a FA 8.25. It's probably just my stupid madness. Any suggestions on which combo is preferred:
8.18 + 5.6 hollow
or
8.25 + 149 forged hollow

hard to choose but 8.25 + 149 forged is an all terrain beast. 8.18 with 5.6 feels great for flat ground

l1ll1ll1

• Rep: 56
« Reply #149 on: May 25, 2021, 08:56:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

8.18 + 5.6 hollow
or
8.25 + 149 forged hollow
[close]

hard to choose but 8.25 + 149 forged is an all terrain beast. 8.18 with 5.6 feels great for flat ground

trying to learn more tranny... fuck it, i'm going for the wider truck/board again. thx for the input. so bummed that hollow venture 5.8s are not available where i live.