Author Topic: Berrics/Olympics (What's not to like?)  (Read 4313 times)

TheLurper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 660
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Berrics/Olympics (What's not to like?)
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2021, 02:40:33 PM »
Well good thing Gary Ream and Dyrdek were there to save us from the Olympics making skateboarding look kooky, right?

Anyone else notice that no one from High Speed Distribution and DLX is part of the planning committee for this garbage. Is there anyone on the planning committee for this shit that isn't a complete kook?

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

PC500

• Rep: 6
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2021, 03:29:48 PM »
Chase Gabor is a Tim and Eric character.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 208
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2021, 04:08:53 PM »
I try not to hate on my fellow skateboarders even if I’m not into their style but fuck nyjah. And fuck the Berrics. There’s a ton of interesting skating and interesting skaters and this is what they want us to check out? No thanks.

And fuck those greedy IOC shitheads. All of this pisses me of

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 537
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2021, 04:09:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I wonder what we’ll turn to when skateboarding is fully co-opted by the full send jocks with energy drink sponsors
[close]

"bro they need to put food on the table"

how else to do that but shamelessly sell out yourself and skateboarding?
[close]
maybe if core skate companies actually paid a living wage they wouldn't need to sell out to energy drink companies

What is a living wage to you? Being a millionaire? Skateboarding was around for decades before these kinds of companies got involved, and pros made a living at it. But, whatever justification you need, bro.

quesly

• Rep: 14
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2021, 04:42:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I wonder what we’ll turn to when skateboarding is fully co-opted by the full send jocks with energy drink sponsors
[close]

[close]
maybe if core skate companies actually paid a living wage they wouldn't need to sell out to energy drink companies
[close]

What is a living wage to you? Being a millionaire? Skateboarding was around for decades before these kinds of companies got involved, and pros made a living at it. But, whatever justification you need, bro.
Like minimum wage at worst. They should be able to afford living in southern california and being a professional skateboarder without a day job. It's kinda hard to say they're professional skateboarders without getting paid to do it. Then its just a hobby they're good at. Like what do you expect these guys to just be homeless living at the spot like they're Jamie Thomas at EMB? Skateboarding is a much much bigger industry than it was back in the day, its pretty childish to expect professional skateboarding to just exist without paying the skaters to actually be able to live.

Vomit Lust

• Rep: 83
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2021, 05:12:56 PM »
Expand Quote
A who's who of lameness in skateboarding.
[close]
Don't take it back now:

I know I’m old and lame but I only know who about half those people are. And I only like about half of the ones I know. Good thing I won’t miss anything when this eventually airs at like 3:00 am on a weekday.

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 537
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2021, 08:46:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
Like minimum wage at worst. They should be able to afford living in southern california and being a professional skateboarder without a day job. It's kinda hard to say they're professional skateboarders without getting paid to do it. Then its just a hobby they're good at. Like what do you expect these guys to just be homeless living at the spot like they're Jamie Thomas at EMB? Skateboarding is a much much bigger industry than it was back in the day, its pretty childish to expect professional skateboarding to just exist without paying the skaters to actually be able to live.

It's not like there was some homelessness epidemic among pro skaters before energy drinks and other kooky sponsors got involved. Some pros became homeless but that happened for various reasons, not just because they weren't getting paid enough. Daewon rode for DVS for the longest time and did not go homeless. There are ways to make it work on regular skate sponsors. Think about all the money Josh Kasper blew on partying, cars and other junk. If he had invested all that he would probably be a millionaire. And that was without Red Bull or Lululemon or whatever else. In fact, there may have been more money at that point for pros than now when you have the Olympics, Berries and whatnot. I'm pretty sure the net worth of someone like Jeremy Klein is very decent, not including the money he's made after pro skating from his companies.

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2021, 05:26:48 AM »
Because there was money in legit sponsors back then, because Nike and Adidas hadn't swept up 70% of the market and there weren't 600,000 deck companies. If people could still make a decent wage riding for DVS then they would. The money has moved.
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2021, 06:09:09 AM »
Because there was money in legit sponsors back then, because Nike and Adidas hadn't swept up 70% of the market and there weren't 600,000 deck companies. If people could still make a decent wage riding for DVS then they would. The money has moved.

I know I'm like a broken record on here. And most probably roll their eyes and perhaps think I'm trolling on this...

But I blame nike and adidas. For the all the good things they have done , they have completely changed the game.. for the worse. As you say the money has moved elsewhere.

I'd also wager there wouldn't be so many surplus board sponsors if people could get a decent wage out of their existing sponsors.
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

ChronicBluntSlider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2021, 06:32:24 AM »
But you look at someone like Jagger Eaton who won Tampa pro as a grom yet has never managed to get a legit sponsor, or would never have the credibility to create his own successful skate company because he’s just some Red Bull hat wearing dork. Plenty of guys have proven it is possible to “put food on the table” while maintaining their integrity and not becoming a total schill for amoral corporate interests.

Also I thought Jagger was going to be hard flip back lipping for the street team. Who does a kid’s parent need to bribe around here to guarantee an Olympic spot.

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2021, 07:47:36 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I know I'm like a broken record on here. And most probably roll their eyes and perhaps think I'm trolling on this...

But I blame nike and adidas. For the all the good things they have done , they have completely changed the game.. for the worse. As you say the money has moved elsewhere.

I'd also wager there wouldn't be so many surplus board sponsors if people could get a decent wage out of their existing sponsors.

Nike and adidas did change the game to some extent. It would be interesting to compare salaries and benefits of those brands vs. what sole tech would pay/provide.

When it comes to decks and brands though, I think a large reason we see so many is just the ease of getting them made. It’s never been easier for someone to start a company these days. 10 years ago, you’d need a web designer for a website, now there’s squarespace (10% off with the code “slap pals”) and Shopify had made having an online store a two click operation. Social media has provided a free way to advertise globally, rather than going through traditional media. You can choose a number of places to print your stuff and even have it drop shipped so you’re never actually sitting on inventory.

I’m not saying it’s a good or bad thing, but I am for the average person having access to tools and information. There are for sure to many brands, but I like small business, therefor I guess I am in favour of it, assuming some thought or effort goes into it.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 148
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2021, 12:38:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
A who's who of lameness in skateboarding.
[close]
Don't take it back now:

[close]

I know I’m old and lame but I only know who about half those people are. And I only like about half of the ones I know. Good thing I won’t miss anything when this eventually airs at like 3:00 am on a weekday.

Ill be honest... im an old dude too and about 1/2 of the Thrasher shit I get from youtube im like who are these guys?!?!

Ghost Face

• Rep: 123
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2021, 02:18:50 AM »
I though Louie was off a mid last year so I went to check and he's not on the website anymore: https://usaskateboarding.com/

Also will Nyjah be setting up one of these official team USA decks?: https://usaskateboarding.com/collections/henry-jones/products/hj
Jerrys Kid : "I work at my real job like I'm a pro skater. Years of work can be summarized to about 3 minutes worth of actual achievements."

Bigwheelbite

• Rep: -163
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2021, 02:24:06 AM »
The amount of shitty energy drink hats and Nike SB shirts in that video is legitimately surprising. Nothing has ever made me more uninterested in skateboarding before.

True say - couldn't agree more!

one-off

• Rep: 109
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2021, 04:54:29 AM »
“That Olympic mindset...beating the best...beating the best on their best day...”

That’s how to pick fits for a NYC skate trip

Also, poor Quartersnacks

Bigwheelbite

« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2021, 05:11:49 AM »
The Olympics are far from any kinda real representation of skateboarding but a lot of ppl that are super against it are failing to see that this is good for the industry and for skate shops cuz lets face it - most skaters don't spend money in their local skateshops to keep it sustainable.

So if we can take one good thing from it then at least see that retail in general has been slowly dying, especially in skateboarding. I bet no core skateshop owners and their staff are complaining about the Olympics cuz its gonna be good for business.

Who cares what it represents. Skateboarding has become a well oiled money making machine for awhile now. It ain't gonna change anytime soon - better get used to it!

There's always gonna be your core skate rat, your part-timer and your comp kid.

The Berrics are lame - no arguments there!

nickpaolucci

« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2021, 05:28:20 AM »
The Olympics are far from any kinda real representation of skateboarding but a lot of ppl that are super against it are failing to see that this is good for the industry and for skate shops cuz lets face it - most skaters don't spend money in their local skateshops to keep it sustainable.

So if we can take one good thing from it then at least see that retail in general has been slowly dying, especially in skateboarding. I bet no core skateshop owners and their staff are complaining about the Olympics cuz its gonna be good for business.

Who cares what it represents. Skateboarding has become a well oiled money making machine for awhile now. It ain't gonna change anytime soon - better get used to it!

why do you hate the berrics so much? You said in another thread that Berra is a child molester. Is there something you would like to come forward about?

Bigwheelbite

« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2021, 05:51:18 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

why do you hate the berrics so much? You said in another thread that Berra is a child molester. Is there something you would like to come forward about?

Oh I'm sorry, are u his body guard?

Don't hate the Berrics just don't agree with alot of how they carry on and how most of them think their this elite core entity when in fact its just a clicky money making machine. Pretending to be this community for skateboarding but its not.

Berra has a crush on any semi hot chick that steps foot in the Berrics. I personally knows girls that have gone to skate at Berrics and he's tried it on with them and also posting average footage of them (why would you?) just to try and impress them lol. So creepy!

Also why he's gassing on Skate Moss so much. It's just weird. You've got way more legit females that absolutely kill it and been in the game since day and should be mentioned and shown way more but instead...

Say no more!

Your Cousin Marvin

• Rep: -144
  • Having my poasts moderated makes me sad
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2021, 09:04:14 AM »

It most likely wont be jocks. skateboarding is going to fall under the same umbrella as gymnastics, figure skating, and synchronized swimming. So if anything will come out if it you'd see more Woodward type places, "skateboard studios", and a show on TLC called Skateboard Moms.
1:1 Ratio

Popshuvyamoma

• Rep: -2
« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2021, 10:07:40 AM »
Skateboarding in the Olympics is gonna be sick!

I bet all ya'll hating & trash talking about it will be watching it still!

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 148
« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2021, 11:05:01 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Chase Gabor (filmer for the berrics and street league) tells a fucked up story about how he used to stick screw drivers in other kids asses when he was younger...Berrics still kept him around ...good reason to not like them

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 287
« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2021, 11:13:48 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

nike and adidas didn’t make the board production cost goes up. that’s the base of the problem. the margins on skateboard sales are microscopic in comparison to 20 or 30 years ago. if your board sponsor can’t pay you shit, you need to make up for those earnings somewhere. you need to make more from your shoe sponsor. if kids don’t buy DVS anymore, you aren’t going to make up that income then. so you can either get another job and not be able to skate as frequently and your talent will plateau, or you have to go somewhere else to make up that money. for how much we beat on this dead horse here, i can never understand how people forget that board sponsors used to be able to pay riders a livable wage and they didn’t even NEED a shoe sponsor

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2021, 11:23:48 AM »
nike and adidas didn’t make the board production cost goes up.

Nobody is making that argument
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

one-off

• Rep: 109
« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2021, 12:57:08 PM »
back in the day:

"Alcibiades of Sparta is such a fucking kook"

"None of the sickest discus throwers would do the Olympics anyways"

Roy Machine

• Rep: -4
« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2021, 01:04:06 PM »
Skateboarding so lame right now...
The worst part was that they included the current ranking during the interviews.

Jagger Eaton has such a bad style. How can you skate that good/much and still look so gross on the board.

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 536
« Reply #55 on: February 10, 2021, 08:02:18 PM »
Jagger Eaton has such a bad style. How can you skate that good/much and still look so gross on the board.
This. Some tricks that are great on paper but ugggggggggggly to watch. I saw a post-run interview on Park Series where he spoke so fast and hyper, i think someone forgot to tell him you're not meant to drink the red bull, just wear the hat. He's so corny on camera too, like if The Mickey Mouse Club had a skate division
If you see offensive comments, just let it go into one eye and let it out of the other eye, no tears and not sadness or anger.

notmikerusczyk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 291
« Reply #56 on: February 10, 2021, 08:15:34 PM »
jagger could be the most 'american' skateboarder ever

let us be thankful he could take a break from sending it with the boys in the tupperwear f150 to represent our great nation
i picture jagger eaton being exactly like this

Lou Skunt

• Rep: -2
« Reply #57 on: February 10, 2021, 08:48:21 PM »
Daewon was living in his car for a bit after his divorce. So he technically was homeless.

elbarto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 29
« Reply #58 on: February 10, 2021, 09:32:40 PM »
Go Maurio McCoy get that paper.
“I’ll whoop your ass with my arm out of socket”

sus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 381
« Reply #59 on: February 10, 2021, 10:42:49 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
This. Some tricks that are great on paper but ugggggggggggly to watch. I saw a post-run interview on Park Series where he spoke so fast and hyper, i think someone forgot to tell him you're not meant to drink the red bull, just wear the hat. He's so corny on camera too, like if The Mickey Mouse Club had a skate division

lets just hope the people broadcasting the olympics zoom in on his legs strobeck style so you don't have to see his arms