Author Topic: Fear resets daily...  (Read 2097 times)

Mugen_G

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -5
Fear resets daily...
« on: March 13, 2021, 01:36:18 PM »
Started skating about 3 months ago.
Can't really call what I did in my younger days skating as I never progressed beyond "poser".

Every day I learn something thing new about skating...in theory... :P
I wish it was in technique... ;D
For example I've realized that "be comfortable on your board" doesn't mean cruising around trying to look cool...
There's a whole lot more to it than being able to just do that...but I'm rambling...

Is it normal to start out scared $#!tless everyday?
It seems that whatever progression I've made in practicing the most basic tricks "dropping off curves, 180 revert" I'm always stiff and terrified most if not all my attempts on new days...

Worse yet if I fall...
Which I have...and hurt myself enough to have to wear a wrist brace.

Once I've fallen any attempts afterwards are basically impossible, it's like starting from scratch...

I'm at the point right now where just attempting to do something like a shove it while rolling feels like I'm standing on a bar of soap...

Yeah...

OldCandy

• Rep: 22
  • cant shuv
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Fear resets daily...
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2021, 06:28:07 PM »
you just gotta tough yourself through the process, take some falls and learn how to fall/bail. You will find that bailing on flatground isnt as scary as it seems.

also cruise around faster and kickturn aggressively.
Nah i skate big boards cause i got big ass feet and a big ass dick

Mugen_G

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2021, 06:58:06 PM »
The weird thing is I've actually fallen plenty and have even landed primo 3 if not more times and it hasn't really hurt (yet)...

It's those unexpected falls that are the problem...
Example wheel bite, rear icing out...
I've reinjured my wrist twice when it was beginning to heal...
I guess if I'm expecting to fall i can do so safely but unexpected ones i still have no muscle memory to not put my hands out...

After that the fear of falling never let's me get anywhere near actually landing any tricks moving...hell i wouldn't even say I get to a "real attempt" stage...

I actually cruise fairly fast and can handle small hills and kick turning is also not something I struggle at...

Right now I would say that "disconnecting my feet from the board" is my biggest issue...
How can I hope to Ollie or even shove it when I'm terrified to even do a mid shin high hippie jump over nothin but air... :(
Frustrating...
By the way, you're quote is pretty discouraging...lol

OldCandy

• cant shuv
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2021, 07:00:29 PM »
The weird thing is I've actually fallen plenty and have even landed primo 3 if not more times and it hasn't really hurt (yet)...

It's those unexpected falls that are the problem...
Example wheel bite, rear icing out...
I've reinjured my wrist twice when it was beginning to heal...
I guess if I'm expecting to fall i can do so safely but unexpected ones i still have no muscle memory to not put my hands out...

After that the fear of falling never let's me get anywhere near actually landing any tricks moving...hell i wouldn't even say I get to a "real attempt" stage...

I actually cruise fairly fast and can handle small hills and kick turning is also not something I struggle at...

Right now I would say that "disconnecting my feet from the board" is my biggest issue...
How can I hope to Ollie or even shove it when I'm terrified to even do a mid shin high hippie jump over nothin but air... :(
Frustrating...
By the way, you're quote is pretty discouraging...lol

try sex changes and no comply 180s, relatively connected to the deck

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1239
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2021, 07:27:40 PM »
OP, can you post the thing you learned about skating each day so I can keep tabs on you?
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2021, 07:46:21 PM »
Yes pain sucks. Yes falling hurts. Yes you will have to bleed for this. Maybe even break a bone. But thats ok. Just take the adrenaline your brain gives you from a slam and use that to land the trick next try. Being a couch potato will hurt more in the long run.

Mugen_G

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2021, 07:48:34 PM »
Keep...tabs...on me..? Ok...
Fairly basic stuff that isn't immediately obvious.
Example people think that being able to push and ride from point a to point b is basically "being comfortable on your board"
When in truth it incorporates a laundry list of things such as the aforementioned dropping off curbs, 180 kickturns, reverts, dropping into a crouch, changing foot position while moving (harder than it seems) and the terrifying hippie jump...(I'd imagine sex changes while moving coming after hippie jumps)

Or example on ollies, you jump off the board even footed not by shifting your weight to your rear foot.
Or that you jump off the tail before it hits the ground not when it does or after.
Or that your front foot doesn't really need to slide up the deck in the "rolled ankle" position but simply forward and downward into the nose pocket to level the board.

Or that icing out is really an erroneous shift in your balance that lightens the rear at the wrong time causing the rear wheels to loose traction resulting in a perfect "bodied" position...lol

That type of stuff that's easier said than done...

Mugen_G

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2021, 07:56:00 PM »
Yes pain sucks. Yes falling hurts. Yes you will have to bleed for this. Maybe even break a bone. But thats ok. Just take the adrenaline your brain gives you from a slam and use that to land the trick next try. Being a couch potato will hurt more in the long run.

That's a very macho ego driven response. Thought I know what you mean as when I 1st hurt my wrist the adrenaline shut off pain immediately after and i finished my skating session.
But I have responsibilities to others including a full-time physical job that requires full functioning limbs and joints in order to accomplish things that others depend on...

So maybe the real answer is why would I choose such an irresponsible hobby so late in my adult life...

Regardless the point is that reinjuring my wrist doesn't give me a rush of adrenaline anymore...only the guilt that i reinjured a needed limb when it was on the cusp of healing...

Yeah... it's a catch 22

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2021, 08:06:12 PM »
It really is just practice.
But if you’re scared shitless all the time you are going to be stiff and make it harder to move around and adjust, and paradoxically fall even more.

So I suggest taking a step back, and focus on what you find fun about skating at first.

Get to know your board better, 180s on the tail AND the nose. Goof around. And keep your knees bent and lower your center of gravity, we tend to straighten our legs when we get nervous and that makes falls worse.

Good luck.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2021, 12:50:52 AM »
It's normal that your 'fear' resets daily, especially if you're not a teen anymore, at the start of every session pretty much every muscle in your body needs to warm up before you can completely feel your board. If you play any instrument, it's really similar to grabbing it but then you have to fuck around for a few minutes in order to really get into the mental groove and feel like it's just an extension of your body vs. something foreign, skateboarding can also be like that except also paired up with the physical on a more intense level. Personal reference but I'm 33, been skating every day I got to since I was 12 and yet it takes me maybe 20/30 minutes of barely popping my board at the beginning of every session to fully start feeling my legs. Used to be shorter but I also think part of that is due to me becoming wiser with age as in more aware of what my body is telling me it can take, including during entire sessions on the occasional day I'll feel particularly off. I probably avoid a lot of potential injuries that way, but that's starting to read like the annoying little sticker warning you about how 'injury or death may result from improper use' on top of every other new skate deck these days until you peel it off to grip it.

Goes without saying that the first thing you should prioritize in skating is learning how to fall, since by definition you'll be falling a lot but as you're saying it doesn't have to hurt. If you've ever done or seen some judo, tucking into a ball and rolling forwards over your shoulder upon impact exactly like that is the most efficient way to break a fall (on flat at least) without extending a limb and risking breaking something. Times when you slip out backwards are tougher to predict but learning how to absorb your landings in general (by compressing your legs) will teach you how to lower your center of gravity less brutally in such situations and eventually you'll find yourself landing then progressively slipping out instead of straight up being launched backwards. Land as stiff as a matchstick man, break like one. I'm not even sure myself of what I do in those situations these days to be honest, I know I just try to land on a soft part of my body and will fall lying down so that the impact spreads (your back won't like you repeatedly landing hard sitting on your butt). Honestly I'd say just take five to ten minutes just once to learn how to fall on purpose tucking yourself into a ball and it should quickly become a habit (I think I remember 12-year-old me doing that).

The little laundry list of maneuvers you're describing is a lot of fun and that learning process is something you will actually cherish looking back after some time skating, you just don't realize it yet. Also remember there are no rules in skateboarding despite some people's personal insecurities saying otherwise so if any maneuver comes to you and feels fun, feel free to do it as much as you please regardless of whether or not it's considered a trick according to the Overwhelmingly Serious Book On How To Properly Waste One's Time. If anything, the hardest phase to go through in skateboarding might be the first couple of months or years since you still need to figure it out, but you're still physically riding the skateboard in the process and so a lot of the trial and error can hurt, but as you become more skilled it gets easier and more meditative than complicated.

Mugen_G

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2021, 08:51:21 AM »
I do need to work on warming up.
That's always been a sticking point for me in all physical activities...I tend to just want to go straight into it.
I'm a bad mix of slow learner and lack of patience...a really bad combo...

I think I'm feeling frustrated from different angles including just finding a spot to practice.
Never noticed just how garbage parking lots and sidewalks are near me. Yesterday I thought I'd found a great empty lot with smooth blacktop...only to realize a few minutes in my wheels and board were now covered in cheap black tar paint?

This wrist just need to heal already (going on 7 weeks) hopefully that'll take some of the fear with it...

OldCandy

• cant shuv
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2021, 10:38:56 AM »
I do need to work on warming up.
That's always been a sticking point for me in all physical activities...I tend to just want to go straight into it.
I'm a bad mix of slow learner and lack of patience...a really bad combo...

I think I'm feeling frustrated from different angles including just finding a spot to practice.
Never noticed just how garbage parking lots and sidewalks are near me. Yesterday I thought I'd found a great empty lot with smooth blacktop...only to realize a few minutes in my wheels and board were now covered in cheap black tar paint?

This wrist just need to heal already (going on 7 weeks) hopefully that'll take some of the fear with it...

the best parts of skating includes re-finding top streetspots.
the tar paint doesn't affect anything functionally..

i improve on my flatgrounds tricks best after a strong cup of coffee..try that.
Can you also post a video with all the tricks you can do on a board?

Mugen_G

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2021, 11:59:45 AM »
I have been meaning to video log my progress, but I have ZERO experience in any type of recording.
I was the guy who always walked out of pictures and left when someone busts out the camcorder in general.

I've also just realized what I've been calling a front side revert...is actually just a basic front side pivot... I'm not sliding the rear wheels forward just lifting and pivoting... :-\

But it'd be a really short video regardless.
Beyond the most basics of pushing and cruising.

Basic front side pivot.
Ride fakie at a walking speed.
Drop off curbs 50% of the time without spazzing out.
Kickturn at cruising speeds and 180 at a slow roll.
I can surprisingly (to me) drop into squat at a jogging pace and not head straight into a wall...lol

But that's about it.
I'm not counting shove it or ollies because while I could land shove it standing still at about a 60% rate and ollie at about shin level consistently standing still.

I realized it was pointless to and started trying to do them at a slow roll... I'm 0 for nothing on both of those... :P

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2021, 12:02:36 PM »
If it helps you get out there, rock the wrist guard! Before I really figured out how to bail I'd tweak my right wrist all the the time. and then cherry and those vans propeller b sides came out, and dill had clips in a cast, and I thought it was cool all of a sudden. Wouldn't leave the house w/o a wrist guard or a brace, even rocked the big forearm brace you get at the pharmacy. Eventually you'll figure out how to catch yourself on a slam without just bracing yourself w your arms. it's hard to explain
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

Mugen_G

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2021, 12:30:00 PM »
If it helps you get out there, rock the wrist guard! Before I really figured out how to bail I'd tweak my right wrist all the the time. and then cherry and those vans propeller b sides came out, and dill had clips in a cast, and I thought it was cool all of a sudden. Wouldn't leave the house w/o a wrist guard or a brace, even rocked the big forearm brace you get at the pharmacy. Eventually you'll figure out how to catch yourself on a slam without just bracing yourself w your arms. it's hard to explain

lol yeah I actually got me a set of those old school wrist guards the ones with that weird curved metal or plastic spoon both on top and palm side.

The irony is that the fall that initially injured my wrist was not a hard slam...it was the most hilariously slow motion slower than walking speed wheelbite dump ever...
If anyone would have seen it (weird cause there was plenty of people around) they would have been like..."what were you doing? Practicing pretend falls?" :P

If only I'd been wearing even my basic palm skid guards... >:(

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2021, 04:51:54 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That's a very macho ego driven response. Thought I know what you mean as when I 1st hurt my wrist the adrenaline shut off pain immediately after and i finished my skating session.
But I have responsibilities to others including a full-time physical job that requires full functioning limbs and joints in order to accomplish things that others depend on...

So maybe the real answer is why would I choose such an irresponsible hobby so late in my adult life...

Regardless the point is that reinjuring my wrist doesn't give me a rush of adrenaline anymore...only the guilt that i reinjured a needed limb when it was on the cusp of healing...

Yeah... it's a catch 22

Nothing to do with macho or ego. Its the reality. This is a painful hobby that is inherenty dangerous.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2021, 06:47:39 PM »
Growing up I never wore any protective gear but I started wearing a wrist guard over the past few weeks. My left palm was taking a lot of impact to the point where doing push ups hurt. No shame in wearing one to protect your bones.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -204
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2021, 10:06:54 PM »
Nothing wrong with full pad and helmet

Mugen_G

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2021, 05:39:00 AM »
I don't mind this turning into a gear advocate thread.
But I think I've found my answer within the responses.

If I'm suffering almost paralyzing fear at attempting ollies and shove its while rolling...them I'm clearly just not ready to be attempting these tricks yet...

I need to be able to drop off curbs so comfortably I can be drinking a latte while doing it...(ugh...plain ☕ will do)
I need to be able to actually do a hippie jump to at least knee high... maybe even over something...

Maybe these aren't things most need to master before getting into moving ollies and shove its...but they seem to be for me...

Thanks for the suggestions!!

Peepeeboy69

• Rep: 14
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2021, 11:27:49 AM »
ok honestly just stop thinking about being scared so much because itll make u more scared

wear gear if it helps u, don't wear it if it doesn't

just skate more and eat a ton of shit im sure everybody just spent the first couple months looking absolutely regular and eating shit all the time until u both learn how to eat shit less and be more comfortable eating shit so u don't feel as scared and aren't as stiff all the time, don't hurt yourself as much when u do fall, and as ppl said before being less scared and looser will help u actually not hurt

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2021, 12:58:49 PM »

If I'm suffering almost paralyzing fear at attempting ollies and shove its while rolling...them I'm clearly just not ready to be attempting these tricks yet...

I need to be able to drop off curbs so comfortably I can be drinking a latte while doing it...(ugh...plain ☕ will do)
I need to be able to actually do a hippie jump to at least knee high... maybe even over something...

Maybe these aren't things most need to master before getting into moving ollies and shove its...but they seem to be for me...

I don't think hippie jump will help you with moving ollies. I have a decent ollie (or so I like to think) but can't do a hippie jump. I never learned it as it was illegal back when I started skating but I tried to do one recently and found it extremely scary and I haven't done one since. Moving ollies are way less scary as the board sticks to your feet (if done properly) aka you will land on the right place on the board when landing whereas you don't necessarily on a hippie jump.

My advice for moving ollies, just start doing them at very slow speed but still moving. Just one semi push at first.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Mugen_G

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2021, 01:05:33 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I don't think hippie jump will help you with moving ollies. I have a decent ollie (or so I like to think) but can't do a hippie jump. I never learned it as it was illegal back when I started skating but I tried to do one recently and found it extremely scary and I haven't done one since. Moving ollies are way less scary as the board sticks to your feet (if done properly) aka you will land on the right place on the board when landing whereas you don't necessarily on a hippie jump.

My advice for moving ollies, just start doing them at very slow speed but still moving. Just one semi push at first.

You don't think they will help?
It was recommended by someone who also made some very good points on ollies in general...

Well I won't put too much stock onto them then.
But I'm at the point where just doing an ollie on perfectly smooth concrete with free rolling wheels has me shook...

I should have never learned them with non rolling wheels... waste of frakking time... regardless of how decent my form was... it's useless if I can't even commit to a halfhearted jump...

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2021, 02:05:47 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

You don't think they will help?
It was recommended by someone who also made some very good points on ollies in general...

Well I won't put too much stock onto them then.
But I'm at the point where just doing an ollie on perfectly smooth concrete with free rolling wheels has me shook...

I should have never learned them with non rolling wheels... waste of frakking time... regardless of how decent my form was... it's useless if I can't even commit to a halfhearted jump...

If you are too scared try something else. It's supposed to be fun not an ordeal.

But if you really want to learn them, try them a hundred times in a row until you've got them. That's how I learned kickflips. All alone in a parking lot, not rolling, just stationary kickflips again and again and again. It already started raining, I kept going until I got that one shitty sketchy mobbed kickflip. I went home a happy dude that day.

Sorry for rambling...
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

OldCandy

• cant shuv
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2021, 08:56:07 PM »
ok honestly just stop thinking about being scared so much because itll make u more scared

wear gear if it helps u, don't wear it if it doesn't

just skate more and eat a ton of shit im sure everybody just spent the first couple months looking absolutely regular and eating shit all the time until u both learn how to eat shit less and be more comfortable eating shit so u don't feel as scared and aren't as stiff all the time, don't hurt yourself as much when u do fall, and as ppl said before being less scared and looser will help u actually not hurt

he speaks the truth, i have only ever slammed hard when dropping in because i was thinking about how high the quarter pipe seemed. And i still look regular

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2021, 09:14:55 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Pft, 20 years in and I still eat shit and still push like a newborn baby horse.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Mugen_G

« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2021, 05:42:02 AM »
I wish it was as easy as "stop thinking about being scared..."
This is actually worse than I thought...

Yesterday I was completely paralyzed on my board.
My brain would NOT let me disconnect my feet from the board to attempt even a loose wheel standing ollie.

It's almost like my brain feels I've betrayed it's trust and refuses to trust me again...what with injuring my wrist then falling on it again 4 weeks later then falling on it again immediately again (2 days after that).

Even more infuriating is that if it I place just 1 hand on a rail, fence or bench...I can ollie and shove it just fine!! :o

Hell i even tried it while holding a stupid broom stick like a ski pole and was able to do both just fine... >:(

New plan...
So far I've only been wearing wrist guards.
Today I'll be fully geared up even if i gotta strap pillows to my ass...

exlurker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 546
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2021, 11:49:46 AM »
Early on in my skating, I remember fucking my wrists up terribly all the time, and broke a finger or two

Eventually i learned to always tuck my arms in and land in a roll on my hips/ass, even if I'm going 2mph and it's a dainty little fall, my brain is now conditioned to never attempt to brace myself with my arms

That removed a lot of my early "fear" issues, though now all these years later i'm starting to get gnarly hip issues

Mugen_G

« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2021, 01:00:03 PM »
Early on in my skating, I remember fucking my wrists up terribly all the time, and broke a finger or two

Eventually i learned to always tuck my arms in and land in a roll on my hips/ass, even if I'm going 2mph and it's a dainty little fall, my brain is now conditioned to never attempt to brace myself with my arms

That removed a lot of my early "fear" issues, though now all these years later i'm starting to get gnarly hip issues

Neither one sounds like a good compromise... :P
Need my wrists & hips... ;D
I need to learn not falling on my hands to muscle memory asap if i have any hopes of continuing street skating...

Tried to find some padded hip shorts but they all make you look like you're wearing diapers...
I may try to modify some skating pants, motorcycle style...

MorningSesh

• Rep: 76
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2021, 03:44:02 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I need to learn not falling on my hands to muscle memory asap if i have any hopes of continuing street skating...

Tried to find some padded hip shorts but they all make you look like you're wearing diapers...
Jeez dude

Mugen_G

« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2021, 03:45:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
Jeez dude

You got something to say?