Author Topic: New Krooked Beamer 'Evil Bird'  (Read 12458 times)

sbr

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rep: 131
Re: New Krooked Beamer 'Evil Bird'
« Reply #90 on: October 30, 2023, 09:33:32 AM »
Appreciate the follow through on the sweep!

Had a great session on my Huffer today in a new bowl, so I'll fight the consumer urge to join the Beamer Cult and leave them all to SBR who deserves them far more than I.

I fully understand sticking with a shape when you find something that works. I was on the Sweatpants for 7 months and was relatively content until this thing flipped the whole script on me being so damn comfortable. I've been re-learning a bunch of stuff that I chalked up to being gone for good, and my jazz standards all feel way more stable on this thing so I'm going to be running this setup as long as I can keep it going. Not sure why it works so well for me, but it does and man is it a euphoric feeling lol
Small man, big board...
IG: s.b.r_

Thebird

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #91 on: October 30, 2023, 11:43:41 AM »
@sbr, what do you like better about the Aces when compared to the Indys? 

sbr

« Reply #92 on: October 30, 2023, 12:05:07 PM »

The TLDR is that I get a blend of agility and stability with the 80's that the 215's would not provide.

When I had the 1st iteration of the Bird Beamer, it was pre AF1 80's and I was stuck with 215's and I could not for the life of me get the setup to feel as carvy/surfy as I like since I predominantly skate bowls/transition. I tried doing RipTide cups mixed with a slew of different bushing combinations and the board just always felt off to me. At the time time, I thought it might be due to the 16.12" wb, but I rode a few Heated Wheel 9.5's with a 15.5" wb two winters ago that felt perfectly manageable to me when set up with Ace 66's. Fast forward to my current setup, when waiting on the board to get to me I was subconsciously still stressed that it may ultimately be the 16.12" wheelbase that felt off to me, but was pleasantly surprised within the first 10 minutes on the board that this thing skates exactly how I'd want it to.

It feels just as "at home" on my 2.5' quarter as it does in the deep end or tight pockets of a bowl and I can set up for tricks pretty damn quick and maintain the feeling that I'm fully in control, whereas on the 215's I kind of felt like the board would have those random moments where it was going where it wanted to go and I was just at its mercy (if that makes any sense lol).
Small man, big board...

Thebird

« Reply #93 on: October 30, 2023, 12:56:30 PM »
Got it.  Great explanation.  I've never had any Ace trucks, so we'll see how these work out.  I appreciate the advice.

ImmanuelCunt

• Rep: 34
« Reply #94 on: October 30, 2023, 01:24:49 PM »
For europe/german pals: Apparently there is a Beamer available reduced for 92 Euro at no-comply. Been contemplating for the last hour but I would not really know what to (properly) do with it, as much as I would like to have one as a filmer board or whatever. Hope somebody skates it.

https://no-comply.de/products/evil-beamer-coupe-deck-10-75?_pos=1&_psq=beam&_ss=e&_v=1.0

BL0B

• Rep: 421
« Reply #95 on: October 30, 2023, 05:06:09 PM »
that's the smaller pig shaped one w/o a kick nose. "coupe"

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 674
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #96 on: October 31, 2023, 07:31:24 AM »
For those interested in getting the most recent Beamer in France (we can arrange something in Europe too), i just received some at the shop.

https://balargueskateshop.com/products/krooked-pure-evil-bird-beamer-gonzales-10-75

sbr

« Reply #97 on: October 31, 2023, 07:52:47 AM »
Got it.  Great explanation.  I've never had any Ace trucks, so we'll see how these work out.  I appreciate the advice.

The thing with AF1's is you can dial back the responsiveness with the OEM hard bushings if they're too much for you with the stock 86a/91a combo bushings. Unfortunately, no matter what I tried I could not get Indy's to be more responsive lol

For europe/german pals: Apparently there is a Beamer available reduced for 92 Euro at no-comply. Been contemplating for the last hour but I would not really know what to (properly) do with it, as much as I would like to have one as a filmer board or whatever. Hope somebody skates it.

that's the smaller pig shaped one w/o a kick nose. "coupe"

Yup, that's the coupe. Smaller is a relative term, though lol. It's the same width but shorter with a shorter wb (10.75 x 29.25 w/ 14.75 WB). I've seen some floating around in the US as well (for at or below retail), but they were a hard pass from me when they dropped due to my irrational fear of skating pigs...

Also, CCS has Bird Beamers for $137.95
Small man, big board...

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1202
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #98 on: October 31, 2023, 01:10:41 PM »

For anyone curious about a side by side comparison of the Beamer v Zogger like I was

djoekr

• Rep: 329
« Reply #99 on: November 01, 2023, 06:27:13 AM »
For those interested in getting the most recent Beamer in France (we can arrange something in Europe too), i just received some at the shop.

https://balargueskateshop.com/products/krooked-pure-evil-bird-beamer-gonzales-10-75

I'd be very interested, but I'm based in The Netherlands. Sent you a PM!
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

LewFarrell

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 146
« Reply #100 on: November 01, 2023, 08:09:25 AM »
I know a shop that has a few in ON, Canada if any Paloonies are looking for one. They don’t have a website but DM me and I can give you their contact info.

finecojeffe

• Rep: 141
    • Fine-Co avatar image
« Reply #101 on: November 01, 2023, 08:34:37 AM »

For anyone curious about a side by side comparison of the Beamer v Zogger like I was

Seeing this makes me wish they made a hybrid of the two. Like the beamer with a tail just a little pulled in and a wb of the zogger or maybe 1/4" longer.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 892
« Reply #102 on: November 01, 2023, 08:36:39 AM »

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1202
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #103 on: November 01, 2023, 09:22:25 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Seeing this makes me wish they made a hybrid of the two. Like the beamer with a tail just a little pulled in and a wb of the zogger or maybe 1/4" longer.

There were a couple posts earlier, but maybe you want the Beamer Coupe. It's the beamer shape but shorter board/shorter WB

finecojeffe

• Rep: 141
    • Fine-Co avatar image
« Reply #104 on: November 01, 2023, 09:27:58 AM »

There were a couple posts earlier, but maybe you want the Beamer Coupe. It's the beamer shape but shorter board/shorter WB

thanks, I did see that, but I need a nose on a board. The zogger is a slight challenge with how small the nose is on it, though it's still useful enough, but I can't skate a pig.

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 915
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #105 on: November 01, 2023, 10:52:39 AM »
So do y’all think getting Ace 80s/Indy 215s is necessary on these? I grabbed one and have some Indy 169s and some ace 77s I could use, I’d prefer not to make it a Christmas complete but it is a girthy bloard…

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 892
« Reply #106 on: November 01, 2023, 10:53:50 AM »
So do y’all think getting Ace 80s/Indy 215s is necessary on these? I grabbed one and have some Indy 169s and some ace 77s I could use, I’d prefer not to make it a Christmas complete but it is a girthy bloard…

There are no rules but is seems 10" trucks are really part of the 'experience.'

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #107 on: November 01, 2023, 10:58:37 AM »

i've seen one setup with 169 and it looked a bit too small (especially for the back truck) but you can try it with what you have and see if larger trucks are needed. But, as Frank and Fred said, larger trucks are always a blast and here they might give you a better experience

Thebird

« Reply #108 on: November 01, 2023, 11:04:41 AM »
Just got the beamer in.  This thing is way crazier than I anticipated.  I can't wait to get the trucks and wheels so I can try it out.

sbr

« Reply #109 on: November 01, 2023, 11:20:28 AM »
thanks, I did see that, but I need a nose on a board. The zogger is a slight challenge with how small the nose is on it, though it's still useful enough, but I can't skate a pig.

I 100% agree with this... I can not deal with a lack of nose on a short board and every pig I've set up I've hated, but I always have fun on pig boards my friends set up (I guess because I know I get to give it back to them after a few runs hahaha).

i've seen one setup with 169 and it looked a bit too small (especially for the back truck) but you can try it with what you have and see if larger trucks are needed. But, as Frank and Fred said, larger trucks are always a blast and here they might give you a better experience

215's / 80's on the board "fit" and you still do not have the wheels meet the rail edge in the rear, even with Conical Fulls.
I've seen photos of Gonz skating one of his with 169's on it and it looked really off to me

Photos of mine on 80's for context:

Just got the beamer in.  This thing is way crazier than I anticipated.  I can't wait to get the trucks and wheels so I can try it out.
Hope you enjoy it as much as I do... I've been living my best life on the thing hahaha
Small man, big board...

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 915
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #110 on: November 01, 2023, 11:33:35 AM »
Word, guess I’ll utilize that SW sale and grab some 80s since it definitely looks weird with those 169s haha. Thanks!!

djoekr

« Reply #111 on: November 02, 2023, 05:14:42 AM »

I got two pairs of 77s laying around that I'm planning to use. I'd estimate that 77s with an extra inside washer would fit nicely, but I haven't seen pics of this setup yet.
Skateboarding is a joke

It's not that serious -

sbr

« Reply #112 on: November 02, 2023, 05:34:13 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I got two pairs of 77s laying around that I'm planning to use. I'd estimate that 77s with an extra inside washer would fit nicely, but I haven't seen pics of this setup yet.

You, my friend, are in luck... I took my Sweatpants apart in preparation for throwing the Phantom I grabbed off of @dstrytruitt together later today, so I have some 77's and a stack of extra Beamers on hand hahaha

I personally wouldn't do 77's on it, but I will say it's visually less "wrong" looking than the 169's are on it. The one thing I'd be wary of is the tail is WIDE and has a bunch of leverage toward the pockets/corners, so the more the board "magic carpets", the more it'll want to topple to the edge. This may actually work in your favor if you plan on flipping the thing...

Small man, big board...

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 512
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #113 on: November 02, 2023, 05:52:51 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The TLDR is that I get a blend of agility and stability with the 80's that the 215's would not provide.

When I had the 1st iteration of the Bird Beamer, it was pre AF1 80's and I was stuck with 215's and I could not for the life of me get the setup to feel as carvy/surfy as I like since I predominantly skate bowls/transition. I tried doing RipTide cups mixed with a slew of different bushing combinations and the board just always felt off to me. At the time time, I thought it might be due to the 16.12" wb, but I rode a few Heated Wheel 9.5's with a 15.5" wb two winters ago that felt perfectly manageable to me when set up with Ace 66's. Fast forward to my current setup, when waiting on the board to get to me I was subconsciously still stressed that it may ultimately be the 16.12" wheelbase that felt off to me, but was pleasantly surprised within the first 10 minutes on the board that this thing skates exactly how I'd want it to.

It feels just as "at home" on my 2.5' quarter as it does in the deep end or tight pockets of a bowl and I can set up for tricks pretty damn quick and maintain the feeling that I'm fully in control, whereas on the 215's I kind of felt like the board would have those random moments where it was going where it wanted to go and I was just at its mercy (if that makes any sense lol).

Yeah this is why i stopped riding my beamer as much, as it just felt like an inconsistent surfboard, but when it felt good, it's amazing.  Slappies feel like surfing in a good way.  Might try it with Aces.  Kinda wanna put those Bones Nano Cubics on it too but worry they might push the width a bit far
« Last Edit: November 02, 2023, 06:05:25 AM by radcunt »

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #114 on: November 02, 2023, 06:05:05 AM »
@sbr

you're the expert here  :D

How do boardslides work with that weird "ditch" shape in the middle ?

sbr

« Reply #115 on: November 02, 2023, 06:13:42 AM »
Yeah this is why i stopped riding my beamer as much, as it just felt like an inconsistent surfboard, but when it felt good, it's amazing.  Slappies feel like surfing in a good way.  Might try it with Aces.  Kinda wanna put those Bones Nano Cubics on it too but worry they might push the width a bit far

The 80's fully changed the board for me in that it feels way more lively and responds fairly normally. With my handicap, I reap the benefits of the width, length & wb of the board giving me a bit more of a consistently stable feeling with the added bonus of the center recessed beam locking my front foot in place during tricks. I'm not going to say the first Beamer I had wasn't fun, because I'd be lying... but the 215's always made it feel slightly off in a not-so-great way for me.

@sbr

you're the expert here  :D

How do boardslides work with that weird "ditch" shape in the middle ?

If anything, they slide better because the beam runs down the center and creates less friction points. I have 0 issues with slide fakies, slide & rolls, and lipslides on pool block or steel coping. I also feel like my slide fakies are worlds more consistent due to how much more balanced I feel on this thing with how wide/long it is.
Small man, big board...

Hefe43

• Rep: 175
« Reply #116 on: November 02, 2023, 09:51:44 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The tail is the reason I won’t buy one. I don’t like boards that are wider in back. Looks and feels weird to me. I had a zero popsicle like that. It felt like I was riding the board backwards and immediately gave it away. Same with the huffer. Got one in plastic because the back half bums me out

Beamers are dope and I want one but it’d be a waste of money for me
Tyshawn seems like the kind of guy to hate everyone at least a little bit

This Thing Of Ours

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 844
« Reply #117 on: November 02, 2023, 10:00:05 AM »
I swear I've seen a clip with gonz and he has rails on one. @sbr what wheels are you using?

disclosed

• Rep: 190
« Reply #118 on: November 02, 2023, 10:08:23 AM »
I swear I've seen a clip with gonz and he has rails on one. @sbr what wheels are you using?

but he also rips them off

djoekr

« Reply #119 on: November 02, 2023, 11:04:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

You, my friend, are in luck... I took my Sweatpants apart in preparation for throwing the Phantom I grabbed off of @dstrytruitt together later today, so I have some 77's and a stack of extra Beamers on hand hahaha

I personally wouldn't do 77's on it, but I will say it's visually less "wrong" looking than the 169's are on it. The one thing I'd be wary of is the tail is WIDE and has a bunch of leverage toward the pockets/corners, so the more the board "magic carpets", the more it'll want to topple to the edge. This may actually work in your favor if you plan on flipping the thing...

Damn, this thread is really coming through. First @BALARGUE hooks me up with a Beamer, now you're posting exactly what I was looking for. Truly appreciate it!

The 80s seem to be a perfect fit, but I'm still debating if I really want to drop cash on a set of trucks I'll probably use just for a deck that I might never be able to skate again. I still need to finish off a stack of decks before I skate this, so I guess I'll spend the next month or so debating if the slight difference in width is worth the price of a new set of trucks. I don't mind a bit of magic carpet though, so I think I'll just run the 77s and switch them out if I'm not feeling them.
Skateboarding is a joke

It's not that serious -