Author Topic: Al Davis on scumbag?  (Read 62558 times)

Lowcalcium

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
Re: Al Davis on scumbag?
« Reply #210 on: March 24, 2021, 08:38:56 AM »
Again, do you all think Cons or Quasi will raise the issue, or will they just stay mute. I'm actually really curious to see how Quasi handles this issue because Al is one of their pros and I believe the most senior pro on the team.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #211 on: March 24, 2021, 08:46:32 AM »
Has Al released any kind of public statement regarding all this? I haven't been paying 100% attention. The rule is: "you have 24 hours before the public controls the narrative" isn't it?

There's enough evidence out there for never back anything he does again but I'd like to see a statement of some kind.
If Al has a lawyer then his lawyer is probably telling him to keep his mouth shut til further notice. If you’re not good or intricate with words (which I doubt Al is) then a half assed insincere social media apology is probably just going to make things worse.
Surprised that post is still up on Cons Instagram with all the comments too.
I’m surprised Cons doesn’t have a special “scumbag PR team” set up yet to deal with situations just like this; Jason Jesse, KA, Al Davis..... They sure know how to choose em.

Reed Richards

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #212 on: March 24, 2021, 09:08:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Still weird to see Pals_Questions supportive comment on there.  Also “funny” to see @Spacetravelisboring defending al
[close]
Damn, i just checked the comments for the first time. It's pretty brutal. Converse really just ignoring all that? Their marketing team is as shitty as their shoes
[close]

What post are you referring to ? Can you link me
[close]
Here's the link, and screenshots. The screenshots are scrollshots, so the thumbnail only shows the top of each. There's heeeeeaaaps of comments.

WELP.  Glad I never got any GX1000 stuff. 

Ms. Tamzarian

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 737
  • I like dork tricks :/
« Reply #213 on: March 24, 2021, 10:36:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Has Al released any kind of public statement regarding all this? I haven't been paying 100% attention. The rule is: "you have 24 hours before the public controls the narrative" isn't it?

There's enough evidence out there for never back anything he does again but I'd like to see a statement of some kind.
[close]
If Al has a lawyer then his lawyer is probably telling him to keep his mouth shut til further notice. If you’re not good or intricate with words (which I doubt Al is) then a half assed insincere social media apology is probably just going to make things worse.
Surprised that post is still up on Cons Instagram with all the comments too.
I’m surprised Cons doesn’t have a special “scumbag PR team” set up yet to deal with situations just like this; Jason Jesse, KA, Al Davis..... They sure know how to choose em.

Al's lawyer:

PAWL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -67
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #214 on: March 24, 2021, 10:57:30 AM »
and to think when this thread first appeared I thought al davis was riding for that dumbass bumbag company or whatever. Jesus.
yo mike mo new age ape style high five with my reborn hand.

2008 psychedelic experience. thanks.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -767
« Reply #215 on: March 25, 2021, 04:38:41 AM »
I dont have the energy to go through 80 pages again

Can someone remind me where Dela fit in to the murdering of the gard at blackrock ?

What a toxic combo him and Davis.
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Blueabyssofthisss

« Reply #216 on: March 25, 2021, 05:38:28 AM »

Can someone remind me where Dela fit in to the murdering of the gard at blackrock ?

Was the main aggressor. Got physical with the guard before anyone else. Shoved the guard as hard as he could after the guard threw his board in the street. Then Dela shoved him again, knocking him down. That’s when Jessie threw a walkie talkie at the guard and he switched his attention from Dela to Viera.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #217 on: March 25, 2021, 05:41:16 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Was the main aggressor. Got physical with the guard before anyone else. Shoved the guard as hard as he could after the guard threw his board in the street. Then Dela knocked him down. That’s when Jessie threw a walkie talkie at the guard and he switched his attention from Dela to Viera.

I see.

Fuck these cunts. I really liked gx and I love/d Quasi but this is absolute scumbag behavior from both these dudes.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 649
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #218 on: March 25, 2021, 06:06:46 AM »

iirc footage shows him as being the first one to push the guard (not the push that hurt the guard but the push that made things escalate)

Matthew_James

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #219 on: March 25, 2021, 12:55:26 PM »
Maybe my thinking is fucked up on this, but to me this is a "where there's smoke, there's fire" situation and I'm way more likely to bet on the odds of this being valid off of shear strength in numbers. I've had a friend who was lied on by some vindictive woman in the past (which I know she was lying bc my man never left my sight that evening and she was too wasted on Xanax to know so), but this whole Al Davis thing is not some isolated incident born out of spite. We have what, double digit amounts of women coming out of the wood work to bravely exclaim to the world that they were victimized by him? I've heard people in the industry mention shit like this about Al in the past over time as just chatty patty type shit, but never has there been such a forceful & outspoken cooperative movement to address his behavior head on.

What kills me is that Converse is doubling down by making a post quoting him saying “Black Joy makes me think of all the Black Women in my family. We wouldn’t be anywhere without women in this world. Respect and protect them at all costs.” - Al Davis. Idk, maybe this shit fucks me up bc it's another black man who has taken up a voice for us and has subsequently represented us wrong in a public light during such a tumultuous time. Like this dude is really talking about black joy and respecting/ protecting women with all this shit coming out now, all while he ignores the voices of the people he hurt? He's making us look bad, and now you have kids saying "communitychange___HE IS A NIGGER" sparking up that hatred towards us again as a whole. Not only do I want his sponsors to drop him, but I wanna see some real established representatives of black skateboarding come out and take their cosign from this dude. That's the only way I can see it quelling the deep seeded racist tendencies of people against us, we need to come together and show that we don't carry this man as one of us anymore.
At least when you're a washed-out hipster douchebag in NY, you can milk it at some decent looking, hard to skate spots. In LA you're just a tan-lined faggot in a school yard somewhere.

pbj

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 29
« Reply #220 on: March 25, 2021, 03:27:26 PM »
i understand a handful of the industry guys that commented on Converse's post are Al's friends (Zered, Manderson, Curtin, Montoya, etc.) but liking their comments while ignoring the much more evident conversation/accusations occurring in the comments is such a godawful look, incriminating even.

what does Quasi have to say?

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #221 on: March 25, 2021, 03:34:44 PM »
i understand a handful of the industry guys that commented on Converse's post are Al's friends (Zered, Manderson, Curtin, Montoya, etc.) but liking their comments while ignoring the much more evident conversation/accusations occurring in the comments is such a godawful look, incriminating even.

Yeah man I'm all for a fair trial and I am skeptical of insta calling out without knowing all the facts but like ... As an another poster said

The sheer volume of people stepping forward here beggars belief. Like its pretty damming.

How could Quasi not comment.

SmilingBoy

• Rep: 12
« Reply #222 on: March 25, 2021, 03:42:20 PM »
Really surprised that the post is still up. Pretty shitty that everyone in the industry seems to be ignoring this whole situation.

pbj

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 29
« Reply #223 on: March 25, 2021, 03:49:32 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yeah man I'm all for a fair trial and I am skeptical of insta calling out without knowing all the facts but like ... As an another poster said

The sheer volume of people stepping forward here beggars belief. Like its pretty damming.

I have trouble looking at WKND the same way after the whole Johan situation. Good on Alexis for taking her talents elsewhere.

Looking at Quasi's latest post, I only saw one or two comments mentioning Al compared with the mass on CONS' post.
I get that the nature of their post merits more reaction, but I have trouble believing Quasi is completely aloof or blindsided by this. CONS is a corporation compared with Quasi, a smaller brand started by a group of friends. Again, given their closer friendship with Al, I have trouble believing this is the first they've ever heard of such allegations.

If addressing allegations is too much for Quasi's cool guy image, I have zero problems with never buying one of their boards again. I think its mostly up to the board brands to hold these abusers accountable and implement industry wide change, not the outsider corporations like Nike/CONS/Adidas/NB. (But not to be confused, I think these shoe brands should also take action.)

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
« Reply #224 on: March 25, 2021, 04:05:17 PM »

I’d guess they haven’t gone back to that post or read the comments. 

I asked quasi what they think of the comments on the al Davis post, but obviously they didn’t address it.  It’s like the Biebel thing: I get he’s your friend, but he doesn’t/can’t skate anymore, so it shouldn’t be too painful to remove them from the team

somedudefromnj

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 78
« Reply #225 on: March 25, 2021, 05:21:58 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I asked quasi what they think of the comments on the al Davis post, but obviously they didn’t address it.  It’s like the Biebel thing: I get he’s your friend, but he doesn’t/can’t skate anymore, so it shouldn’t be too painful to remove them from the team

Quasi has been kinda quiet in general, except for on their Quasi snowboard page. Apparently theres a huge snowboard drop coming according to their story post from a few days back

Lol. Eldee is definitely a human. He’s like a raider on horse back who’s kinda scared to do battle. Somehow he closes his eyes and swings his sword wildly and wakes up in a pile of dead orcs.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #226 on: March 25, 2021, 05:26:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Quasi has been kinda quiet in general, except for on their Quasi snowboard page. Apparently theres a huge snowboard drop coming according to their story post from a few days back

They do snowboards too ? Lame

michael scarn

« Reply #227 on: March 25, 2021, 05:28:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I have trouble looking at WKND the same way after the whole Johan situation. Good on Alexis for taking her talents elsewhere.

Looking at Quasi's latest post, I only saw one or two comments mentioning Al compared with the mass on CONS' post.
I get that the nature of their post merits more reaction, but I have trouble believing Quasi is completely aloof or blindsided by this. CONS is a corporation compared with Quasi, a smaller brand started by a group of friends. Again, given their closer friendship with Al, I have trouble believing this is the first they've ever heard of such allegations.

If addressing allegations is too much for Quasi's cool guy image, I have zero problems with never buying one of their boards again. I think its mostly up to the board brands to hold these abusers accountable and implement industry wide change, not the outsider corporations like Nike/CONS/Adidas/NB. (But not to be confused, I think these shoe brands should also take action.)

I agree, it seems like it is Quasi's responsibility.

Maybe, and just maybe, quasi isn't ready to address this yet and they're just taking their time in choosing the right words and way to address it. It's not an easy thing to do , and i understand wanting to be delicate here. Maybe, I guess I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Or, they just won't.

Don't get it twisted, I'm absolutely not defending al or saying he shouldn't be held accountable. I just think there's a right and a wrong way to do it. Merely canceling him is not an effective way to go about it.

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 335
« Reply #228 on: March 25, 2021, 05:37:34 PM »
Don't they have a video coming out real soon? I assume they'd be busy with that.

The snowboard stuff is clearly a joke.

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 531
« Reply #229 on: March 25, 2021, 05:48:54 PM »
There's no way Quasi don't know about this. Their DM's must be blowing up rn with people wanting a response. I'm really hoping they're just taking their time to deal with this in the best way they can. Possibly seeking advice from lawyers, PR experts etc.
If you see offensive comments, just let it go into one eye and let it out of the other eye, no tears and not sadness or anger.

somedudefromnj

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 78
« Reply #230 on: March 25, 2021, 05:56:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

They do snowboards too ? Lame

definitely a joke. mostly them eating shit riding their decks like snowskates

they did still say they had something dropping soon though

Lol. Eldee is definitely a human. He’s like a raider on horse back who’s kinda scared to do battle. Somehow he closes his eyes and swings his sword wildly and wakes up in a pile of dead orcs.

conqueso

« Reply #231 on: March 25, 2021, 05:59:46 PM »
who is al davis

yo I been wondering this the whole time

Reed Richards

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #232 on: March 25, 2021, 06:04:04 PM »
Don't they have a video coming out real soon? I assume they'd be busy with that.

The snowboard stuff is clearly a joke.
I wonder if they go back and remove him from the video now...

ungzilla

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 993
« Reply #233 on: March 25, 2021, 06:07:41 PM »
removing 0 clips shouldn't take long

Pete

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 681
  • Free Max B
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #234 on: March 25, 2021, 06:16:22 PM »
 Z I N G

free max b
FREE MAX B

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #235 on: March 25, 2021, 06:37:58 PM »
I’m still a bit shocked he’s Reynolds’ age

shrimptoastcrunch

« Reply #236 on: March 25, 2021, 06:53:25 PM »
I always figured he must be a really cool likeable dude to have those sponsors cuz his skating is so mediocre and boring. What a piece of shit.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #237 on: March 25, 2021, 07:11:59 PM »
I always figured he must be a really cool likeable dude to have those sponsors cuz his skating is so mediocre and boring.

The technical term for that is terpeninging

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 335
« Reply #238 on: March 25, 2021, 07:15:19 PM »

He's not. I saw a post from a family member on his account before going private "Happy 37th Al!" maybe like a month or two ago.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #239 on: March 25, 2021, 07:36:39 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

He's not. I saw a post from a family member on his account before going private "Happy 37th Al!" maybe like a month or two ago.

Ah people were throwing around that he’s in his 40s a bunch.  Still, assumed he was 31ish not older than me