Author Topic: Al Davis on scumbag?  (Read 62561 times)

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
Re: Al Davis on scumbag?
« Reply #330 on: April 01, 2021, 06:24:34 PM »
When was the last time he was even featured in a post from Quasi on Instagram?

I just had a quick look and the last post that was soley in reference to him was June 2018. Almost 3 years ago. I don't believe Quasi need to come out and make any sort of statement for someone they've barely promoted as a rider in the last few years. This can be dealt with internally.

It can be, but should it?   Wouldn’t it be nice to hear a brand take a stand AGAINST it, especially in the age of promoting skating that doesn’t just involve cis-males

pbj

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 29
« Reply #331 on: April 02, 2021, 12:33:15 AM »

I just had a quick look and the last post that was soley in reference to him was June 2018. Almost 3 years ago. I don't believe Quasi need to come out and make any sort of statement for someone they've barely promoted as a rider in the last few years. This can be dealt with internally.

at the very least they should acknowledge they've parted ways
this is the second post i've seen of yours today that has sympathized with those accused of abuse/companies that promote them. get a grip dude

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 335
« Reply #332 on: April 02, 2021, 03:24:58 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

at the very least they should acknowledge they've parted ways
this is the second post i've seen of yours today that has sympathized with those accused of abuse/companies that promote them. get a grip dude

I'm not sympathising with Al Davis at all. I've heard stories. He can save it, and I hope Quasi & Cons do drop him. Think some of the grandstanding by some slap posters is misguided though.

GeorgeCostanza

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -18
« Reply #333 on: April 05, 2021, 03:39:06 AM »
bump
So Colllin have the same t-shirts, seven years by now, at least...

brucewillis

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • Die Hard. www.casualskateshop.com.br
« Reply #334 on: April 05, 2021, 06:23:03 AM »
Now that they've made justin henry pro and are promoting it on their instagram i just can't think they did it to hide the al davis case.

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #335 on: April 05, 2021, 06:26:35 AM »
Now that they've made justin henry pro and are promoting it on their instagram i just can't think they did it to hide the al davis case.

Might be the worst take I've seen on here.

brucewillis

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #336 on: April 05, 2021, 06:29:32 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Don't get me wrong, i love Henry's skating, huge fan. The problem is their lack of courage to address the Al Davis situation, and him turning pro during this whole controversy without Quasi addressing or kicking Al just seems like their avoiding talking about it.

Scott Chegg

• Rep: -5
« Reply #337 on: April 05, 2021, 06:46:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Don't get me wrong, i love Henry's skating, huge fan. The problem is their lack of courage to address the Al Davis situation, and him turning pro during this whole controversy without Quasi addressing or kicking Al just seems like their avoiding talking about it.
Idk I think this controversy might just be contained within slap and converse’s Instagram, realistically how much is this affecting Quasi

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #338 on: April 05, 2021, 06:54:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

They have removed his boards from the webstore. They've clearly addressed it in house.

brucewillis

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #339 on: April 05, 2021, 06:55:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]
Idk I think this controversy might just be contained within slap and converse’s Instagram, realistically how much is this affecting Quasi
Looking through this point of view, yeah i think it's not affecting them so much because they weren't promoting Al

Reed Richards

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #340 on: April 05, 2021, 06:48:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

They have removed his boards from the webstore. They've clearly addressed it in house.
Converse scrubbed the original post and took him off the team page too.  His career's probably a wrap.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #341 on: April 05, 2021, 06:55:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
Converse scrubbed the original post and took him off the team page too.  His career's probably a wrap.

No they didn’t.  It’s there

hotstudios_on_youtube

• Rep: -64
  • ???
« Reply #342 on: April 05, 2021, 07:16:10 PM »
I started a comment/ thread on the new quasi full length

Reed Richards

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #343 on: April 05, 2021, 07:45:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

No they didn’t.  It’s there
I stand corrected, must have scrolled past it.  It's weird they left that up but took him off their team page.

Tyroneshoelaces

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -625
  • who knows
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #344 on: April 05, 2021, 07:57:21 PM »
Send Al to Horny jail

i've been saying for years that the gx crew is a bunch of arrogant pricks who love sucking their own dicks.  what more can i say...entitled scumbags who think their fits and zany lines are god's gift
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 09:24:28 PM by Tyroneshoelaces »
where is home?

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 154
  • <3
« Reply #345 on: April 05, 2021, 08:56:58 PM »
They have definitely been planning Henry going pro. Dude had a colorway with Vans and been working on a part. This has been in the works. I don't even know why I feel inclined to address this or acknowledge whoever posted it was a cover up.
The chillest1

SLAPASONIC

• Rep: 22
« Reply #346 on: April 11, 2021, 10:23:06 AM »
I find weird how the Yonnie thread is blowing up more than the Al one, I mean I guess it's because Yonnie is more of an active pro in the industry?

Spreading an STI knowingly is horrible, but compared to rape accusations by 7 different women, I find the Al Davis situation a lot worse.

I also remember sometime last year Taylor Nawrocki posted something about BLM on his IG, and Al Davis had commented on it saying something like 'TOO LATE DOG'. I always found that weird.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -767
« Reply #347 on: April 11, 2021, 11:07:24 AM »
I find weird how the Yonnie thread is blowing up more than the Al one, I mean I guess it's because Yonnie is more of an active pro in the industry?

Spreading an STI knowingly is horrible, but compared to rape accusations by 7 different women, I find the Al Davis situation a lot worse.

I also remember sometime last year Taylor Nawrocki posted something about BLM on his IG, and Al Davis had commented on it saying something like 'TOO LATE DOG'. I always found that weird.

Double standards

They don't want to shit on quasi.

What Yonnie did was bad.... But Al Davis is evil.

All forgotten about now. Like GX.
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #348 on: April 11, 2021, 11:23:51 AM »
GX1000 could’ve been the sickest company ever with the sickest crew of dudes ever but nooooooo they all had to be a bunch of scumbags or cocky fratboy  jocks or sexual abusers, or a combo of all three.
Perfect example of how you could come out with one of the gnarliest, most beloved videos ever (Roll Up) and still flush it all away if the crew of dudes  behind it are total pieces of shit.

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 154
  • <3
« Reply #349 on: April 11, 2021, 11:25:32 AM »
Al D is barely even in the industry. Yonnie is a lot more active. It's not that hard to think about. Al has been dropped by Quasi and that Cons post was likely pandering to the woke crowd for marketing and was a poor choice at that.

Also, if you've ever met anyone that reps the Bay Area like the GX dudes, they are almost always arrogant and lame.
The chillest1

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #350 on: April 11, 2021, 11:32:50 AM »
not for nothing, what yonnie did is also rape

professional

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 127
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #351 on: April 11, 2021, 11:43:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Hit up Quasi on insta like a man. I encourage others to do so too. Perhaps if they see it affecting their bottom line they'll act, and if they do, Cons might follow suit. If he loses his platform and this information becomes more widespread, perhaps he won't be able to continue to do this to women.
[close]

Thanks for doing this, honestly I was about to do something like this as well. I'm a big Gilbert fan and Quasi fan in general, I hope Quasi addresses something.
[close]
I think you still should. The more people hit them up the better. They'll either be pressured to respond or their silence will be easier to condemn

I messaged Quasi on IG as well. In their response, they said they don't sponsor Al Davis. Nothing beyond that that would allude to whether he was let go pre-controversy or after.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #352 on: April 11, 2021, 02:57:07 PM »

I think it’s because someone, maybe Inks and Images, gave their personal account to LuredByProSkaters.   The Al Davis stuff has just remained in the Cons post comments and hasn’t been expanded upon.   That’s the only thing I can say to it

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #353 on: April 11, 2021, 02:58:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Hit up Quasi on insta like a man. I encourage others to do so too. Perhaps if they see it affecting their bottom line they'll act, and if they do, Cons might follow suit. If he loses his platform and this information becomes more widespread, perhaps he won't be able to continue to do this to women.
[close]

Thanks for doing this, honestly I was about to do something like this as well. I'm a big Gilbert fan and Quasi fan in general, I hope Quasi addresses something.
[close]
I think you still should. The more people hit them up the better. They'll either be pressured to respond or their silence will be easier to condemn
[close]

I messaged Quasi on IG as well. In their response, they said they don't sponsor Al Davis. Nothing beyond that that would allude to whether he was let go pre-controversy or after.

That’s a pretty chickenshit way of handling it.   Getting rid of him so you don’t have to say shit about it.   Woof

HeapsCool

• Rep: -174
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #354 on: April 11, 2021, 03:16:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The fact that people can't recognize aspects of both of these arguments as valid, hurts my brain/heart. This is an incredibly nuanced issue, women need to be heard and protected from these creeps, but at the same time we can't have a fucking unruly witch-hunt based on words alone. Have some fucking empathy, and try to think about the downsides of your preferred course of action. Both "solutions" right now have the potential to absolutely destroy perfectly good people, and that's wrong. Rapists should not go free, false accusations should have real consequences. Women should feel safe and confident in their ability to report this horrible shit and it be taken care of. Men should feel safe and confident in their innocence if they have done nothing to jeopardize it. Stop acting like you've got this shit figured out, because we clearly DON'T.
[close]

This.
[close]
This

If you look at the stats, there are way more sexual assaults on women than women making false accusations. Lumping them together like some kind of competing problem in society is just fence sitting bullshit.

pbj

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 29
« Reply #355 on: April 11, 2021, 05:25:03 PM »
him (silently?) being removed from his sponsors isn't the answer.
i understand brands wanting to cut ties, but its about creating an awareness so this behavior doesn't continue and endanger anyone else.

he's directly benefited from endorsements, so quietly letting him go doesn't seem to hurt his image at all or promote any sort of accountability. but then again none of this is all that surprising in a male dominated industry.

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 531
« Reply #356 on: April 11, 2021, 05:48:33 PM »

I think it's because of a lack of new content. Quasi and Cons have stayed quiet, even if Quasi dropped him. We don't have an @inkandimages here talking about their experience with him, or public posts, nothing from @luredbyskaters, just comments in a Cons post. It infuriates me that this approach from these companies seems to be working  >:(
If you see offensive comments, just let it go into one eye and let it out of the other eye, no tears and not sadness or anger.

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 654
« Reply #357 on: April 11, 2021, 06:28:44 PM »
Is it possible that Al was quietly dropped by Quasi before all of this came out? I'm not trying to excuse them for not speaking up, but it would help explain why they haven't said anything. I doubt they would want to get involved if he was already off before this point.

Free Whirl

• Rep: 3
« Reply #358 on: April 11, 2021, 09:27:19 PM »
Is it possible that Al was quietly dropped by Quasi before all of this came out? I'm not trying to excuse them for not speaking up, but it would help explain why they haven't said anything. I doubt they would want to get involved if he was already off before this point.

they could at have the decency to make a public statement acknowledging the situation and declaring that they do not support abusers... it's the least they could do. it bums me out too because i used to love quasi, but this shit is embarrassing. 

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 531
« Reply #359 on: April 11, 2021, 10:43:27 PM »
Would be an awful coincidence if they dropped him before this but kept his boards in the online shop, and they just so happened to only sell out a week or so ago, shortly after this had all blown up... I'm saying nah.
If you see offensive comments, just let it go into one eye and let it out of the other eye, no tears and not sadness or anger.