Author Topic: Tricks to make your gear last longer  (Read 1572 times)

Magnolia

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 412
  • She/They
Tricks to make your gear last longer
« on: April 12, 2021, 12:25:57 PM »
Do you ever make little modifications to your gear to improve its longevity? It really annoys me to have a shoelace split because it rubs against my grip, so I made a little shield to protect the lace. I took the flick guard out of a bic disposable lighter, cut it down to size, and superglued it over the eyelet that was giving me problems.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 12:40:58 PM by NotTheCars »
what quality posts do you have under your umbrella son of a bitch

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
Re: Tricks to make your gear last longer
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2021, 01:25:13 PM »
Do you ever make little modifications to your gear to improve its longevity? It really annoys me to have a shoelace split because it rubs against my grip, so I made a little shield to protect the lace. I took the flick guard out of a bic disposable lighter, cut it down to size, and superglued it over the eyelet that was giving me problems.

That's a pretty cool idea. How you like the Gamma's? The white ones are all leather right?
IG: @flowterspace

Magnolia

• She/They
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2021, 01:29:56 PM »
That's a pretty cool idea. How you like the Gamma's? The white ones are all leather right?

I really like them, I love a good cupsole and these keep my feet feeling alright for an entire session. Leather shoes start out real slippery and it can take a bit for your flick to recover, but I'm otherwise totally satisfied. The white shoes are all leather, and I believe the black ones are suede.

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2021, 12:52:34 PM »
I used to goo over the lace spots that would get torn up. Didn't look great but was effective

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 115
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2021, 01:03:10 PM »
Spending more time in Shoes & Gear threads and less time skating has worked pretty well for me in the past

Nah but I can think of a few ideas - shoe goo (duh), probably don’t skate Mob, buy bigger wheels than you normally like to ride so you can ride them longer, maintain your bearings instead of replacing them outright, replace soft truck components/protect and maintain the axle threads instead of getting new trucks when a problem arises. Boards are doomed to last me no longer than 4-6 weeks if I’m skating a lot though, I don’t know how much they can be protected and made to last longer

beandemon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2021, 02:03:04 PM »
Boards: glue the big chips, sand/file the rough edges. I’ve significantly increased the useful life of square top edge decks that way. 

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2021, 11:07:00 PM »
I've used wood filler putty to fill in chips and sanded it down so its even. I've been spoiling myself lately though and have way too much gear to get through so I've been leaving parts at popular spots when I'm done with them.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2021, 06:17:40 AM »
Thirding sanding the edges of your board. It makes such a difference in preventing chipping.

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2021, 07:50:51 AM »
My ice box is a few boards deep and I can afford to buy new boards at the moment.
But, saw someone use some sort of Gorilla Wood Glue to prevent razor tail.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 321
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2021, 08:08:01 AM »
Copers
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

stets

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2021, 10:00:54 AM »
My ice box is a few boards deep and I can afford to buy new boards at the moment.
But, saw someone use some sort of Gorilla Wood Glue to prevent razor tail.

If I really love a board, I will use a thin formula of superglue to keep a tail going longer.

The thin stuff really wicks into the wood pores and hardens it up a bit. But this only works on raw wood, so I do it after a week or two of skating. It kinda adds some more pop as well as the durability, thanks to the wicking.
Quote from: augustmoon
lol, don't let my sticker job keep you up at night, buddy

dustyassrocketswitchv

• Rep: -128
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2021, 04:51:33 PM »

this is chaotic
big texas cummer

Smartass

• Rep: 46
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2021, 05:27:52 PM »
Typical put some thin liquid super glue in areas where a stitching is going to be a problem on shoes. I normally do this after a session or two so I know exactly what's spots need it and so I can break in the shoes before doing it. 95% of the time its completely unnoticeable. Way better than shoe goo too since it doesn't make it look like you used your shoes for target practice when jacking off.

I wasn't a fan of doing it before because I liked burning through shoes so I can test out other ones, but now a days I tend to like most of the shoes I'm skating.

Magnolia

• She/They
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2021, 09:22:23 PM »
this is chaotic
It's more refined than my original plan to protect my laces, believe it or not. I initially wanted to thread the lace through a small spring, which would bend with the lace and protect it.

Seeing as I'm not the MacGyver I thought I was, boomer's suggestion of shoe goo is probably my best bet

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2021, 08:45:11 AM »
Thirding sanding the edges of your board. It makes such a difference in preventing chipping.

I chip where the nose starts to turn into board right above the wheels from nose slides. The angle iron just kills it. I’m sure it’s on my part to not s as jests olling high enough and just forcing it.

So do you sand after it starts getting dinged up to keep it smooth to prevent chips?

switchfrontshuv

• Rep: 47
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2021, 01:24:22 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I chip where the nose starts to turn into board right above the wheels from nose slides. The angle iron just kills it. I’m sure it’s on my part to not s as jests olling high enough and just forcing it.

So do you sand after it starts getting dinged up to keep it smooth to prevent chips?

I have this same issue but on my tail from tailslides on this sharp ledge. Its kind of like a long triangular chip. I usually just wait till the chunk has fallen off before I just coat it in shoe goo or any other thick adhesive (basically seals it up forever).

Wouldnt recommend it for any part of the deck that pops off the ground though. The shoe goo kind of drips into the cracks in the chip and holds it together real well in my experience (the chip I have rn is on a control deck so the tail is still really stiff, in other experiences especially with PS wood the tail kinda sogs out faster cuz of it and it causes the plies to further delaminate towards the centre of the deck).

Wouldn't put a huge overbearing glob on it either, just a coating on the actual outside of the chip and enough to drench the plies and seal em together.

Skatebeard

• Rep: 129
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2021, 01:52:27 AM »
Do heelflips instead of kickflips... guaranteed to make any skate shoe last longer.

imuseless

• Rep: 14
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2021, 03:40:53 AM »
Do heelflips instead of kickflips... guaranteed to make any skate shoe last longer.

...but decks snap faster.

imuseless

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2021, 03:48:25 AM »
Swap the trucks place each time you change the deck, makes the trucks and wheels wear down more equally. Get over your obsession and skate your popsicle both ways, so nose as a tail too.

Eggie Vedder

• Rep: 32
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2021, 04:37:13 AM »
I used to buy canvas slip ons our authentics and plastidip them. The plastidip fills into the canvas and basically makes them rubber. It makes the uppers last forever. Lately I have been skating more cupsoles though and since they aren’t canvas I just use shoe goo.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2021, 05:15:51 AM »
Live in a rainy place with no indoor spots. Your stuff will last forever  :'(
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2021, 06:54:20 AM »
Use 2-3 speedrings on the outside of the wheel so the axle doesn't stick out of the nut. You'll never need an axle rethreader again

El Freegano

• Rep: 217
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2021, 07:31:59 AM »
Spending more time in Shoes & Gear threads and less time skating has worked pretty well for me in the past

Nah but I can think of a few ideas - shoe goo (duh), probably don’t skate Mob, buy bigger wheels than you normally like to ride so you can ride them longer, maintain your bearings instead of replacing them outright, replace soft truck components/protect and maintain the axle threads instead of getting new trucks when a problem arises. Boards are doomed to last me no longer than 4-6 weeks if I’m skating a lot though, I don’t know how much they can be protected and made to last longer
The above one and also what imuseless said about rotating trucks, wheels, nose and tail.
As for the shoes i put polyurethane on the hot spots and also glue sume rubber patches from the inside where holes start to appear.

Skatebeard

• Rep: 129
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2021, 07:38:47 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Been doing heels for 20 years and genuinely have never snapped a deck doing one... how does that happen?!

imuseless

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2021, 09:07:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Been doing heels for 20 years and genuinely have never snapped a deck doing one... how does that happen?!

Stomp landing, not on bolts. Happens easier on heelflips with many people, including me.

mbam003

• Rep: 20
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2021, 10:05:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Stomp landing, not on bolts. Happens easier on heelflips with many people, including me.

Guilty of that too.