Author Topic: The Rails Thread  (Read 14912 times)

FrozenIndustries

The Rails Thread
« on: April 19, 2021, 09:19:39 AM »
People were talking about rails a bit in the 9"+ thread. I've always been curious about them and have put them on once or twice, but never did enough board- or lip- slides to justify it. Over the past year I've gone full slappy and have started skating the middle of my board as of late, thinking of trying some again.

For those of you who partake, what rails do you run? One or two rails? Just curious to learn a bit more about them.

I've got a set of rib bones that I tried and kind of liked. I also have a set of the New Deal rails, which would rule were they not routed so shallow that they barely stay on. I also have some Heroin glow sticks that I impulse bought and have never mounted. Considering getting some slightly longer screws for the New Deals and running them on my next setup.

Freelancevagrant

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1560
Re: The Rails Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2021, 09:37:52 AM »
I personally think the welcome candy bars are the best around.

I run them on both sides, I have a lot of homies that run them on one side, but I’ve never been able to pull the trigger on trying it.

I will run them every chance I get, but in a pinch I will throw some pig rails on there and call it day, but they’re pretty icey. the lil jawns work well from what I’ve heard.

Also I’ve had nothing but bad experiences on the oj juice bars.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 538
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2021, 09:40:00 AM »

Also I’ve had nothing but bad experiences on the oj juice bars.

Damn. And I just put a set on my board.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2021, 10:13:51 AM »
I like the Santa Cruz Slim Lines. If I use rails I don't want them unnecessarily bulky, thick or long. I prefer using both. Its rad to put them a little closer to the center of the deck a bit to gain some leverage for feeble and hurricane attempts.

However, I  an currently of rails. Fun on a retro shape but I'm not a fan on popsicles. Also, terrifying on steel coping. Curbs only.

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2021, 10:41:23 AM »
However, I  an currently of rails. Fun on a retro shape but I'm not a fan on popsicles. Also, terrifying on steel coping. Curbs only.

Yeah I think the reason I DONT run them is I really like having one setup for anything and just changing wheels when I need to, and I have a mini ramp w/ steel coping and spend most of my time on that.
ok thanks

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 975
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2021, 11:05:23 AM »
I like the Santa Cruz Slim Lines. If I use rails I don't want them unnecessarily bulky, thick or long. I prefer using both. Its rad to put them a little closer to the center of the deck a bit to gain some leverage for feeble and hurricane attempts.

I'm riding slimlines right now, they're my preferred rail (bit cheaper than bones but less bulky, just by a bit).

A most recent set had wonky screws tho, they were round head instead of flat and the threads were thicker, they didn't allow the rail to sit flush with the board (my other two sets work fine) so I had to swap screws. Other than that one time issue no complaints.

Rails are not for everyone but if the terrain calls for it, might as well use it; been skating some double sided curbs of late with a few homies, one dude has no rails the rest of us are sliding twice if not 3x as far as he is, with less effort. I've also ridden slicks there and while they do just as well for slides as rails, they don't give you the balance or the leverage rails do, e.g., you can still feeble or smith, but with rails at the right angle you can rest on them, making the lock in all the easier.

Murge

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2021, 11:07:40 AM »
Why do people run one rail?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2021, 11:11:41 AM »
Why do people run one rail?

They don't want to stay out too late at the club...

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2021, 11:14:41 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I'm riding slimlines right now, they're my preferred rail (bit cheaper than bones but less bulky, just by a bit).

A most recent set had wonky screws tho, they were round head instead of flat and the threads were thicker, they didn't allow the rail to sit flush with the board (my other two sets work fine) so I had to swap screws. Other than that one time issue no complaints.

Rails are not for everyone but if the terrain calls for it, might as well use it; been skating some double sided curbs of late with a few homies, one dude has no rails the rest of us are sliding twice if not 3x as far as he is, with less effort. I've also ridden slicks there and while they do just as well for slides as rails, they don't give you the balance or the leverage rails do, e.g., you can still feeble or smith, but with rails at the right angle you can rest on them, making the lock in all the easier.

Have definitely thought about setting up another board specifically for this. As much as I try to keep it to one board, it would be fun to have one, maybe that 9.5" Jason Adams super punk point, just for this specific use. Ive got a couple of packs of Lil Jawns sitting unused.
ok thanks

Ilya Oblomov

• Rep: 14
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2021, 11:24:51 AM »
Can someone explain why they use rails?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2021, 11:25:54 AM »
I built this setup with this spot in mind (well maybe three) but the truck width (and wheel width, which is still too wide, need to drop down to V3s) is specifically for these curbs (those curbs) - 169s would be easier but I just can't...and the rails slide for dayz.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2021, 11:29:15 AM »
Can someone explain why they use rails?

Thrash-trash

• Rep: 4
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2021, 11:29:38 AM »
Ive had a few sets of Bones Ribs, Santa Cruz and the OJ juice bars. I feel the Santa Cruz & OJs are about the same. They look polished and the plastic feels a little more hard. The Bones are a little rough on the side edges, like you can see the saw blade marks and they feel a little softer.

I set mine up about 1/2" to  3/8" in and make sure you have clearance for wheel bite. I also add a little Shoo-Goo under the rail just incase you strip the screw or have a blow out. Always double check to make sure the screw head will clear the countersink hole, sometimes you'll have to re-drill it. I like to clamp the rail in place and run a small pilot hole for the screw to set. Dont over tighten the screw, or it'll strip.

Rails have opened up the slide to grind tricks for me. A little heel tilt from a board slide will lock in a hurricane in a heartbeat and you'll look like a seasoned curb skater in no time.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2021, 11:32:06 AM »
Ive had a few sets of Bones Ribs, Santa Cruz and the OJ juice bars. I feel the Santa Cruz & OJs are about the same. They look polished and the plastic feels a little more hard. The Bones are a little rough on the side edges, like you can see the saw blade marks and they feel a little softer.

I set mine up about 1/2" to  3/8" in and make sure you have clearance for wheel bite. I also add a little Shoo-Goo under the rail just incase you strip the screw or have a blow out. Always double check to make sure the screw head will clear the countersink hole, sometimes you'll have to re-drill it. I like to clamp the rail in place and run a small pilot hole for the screw to set. Dont over tighten the screw, or it'll strip.

Rails have opened up the slide to grind tricks for me. A little heel tilt from a board slide will lock in a hurricane in a heartbeat and you'll look like a seasoned curb skater in no time.

Rails+tilt make all the difference, so much easier.

That's also a benefit for rails, once you get sliding, that's it, your sliding so easily you have more time [to actually think] for tilting into a feeble or hurricane. I'm working on Feebles to board to feebles and boards to feebles/smiths/canes, can get it cant get out so great yet.

YungJugg

• Rep: 229
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2021, 12:22:06 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That's also a benefit for rails, once you get sliding, that's it, your sliding so easily you have more time [to actually think] for tilting into a feeble or hurricane. I'm working on Feebles to board to feebles and boards to feebles/smiths/canes, can get it cant get out so great yet.

Is board to smith a thing? Lip to smith all day, but getting into smith from a boardslide on a curb seems really hard. From the boardslide do you just lock in the back truck and quickly swing the front truck over?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2021, 01:07:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Is board to smith a thing? Lip to smith all day, but getting into smith from a boardslide on a curb seems really hard. From the boardslide do you just lock in the back truck and quickly swing the front truck over?

Pretty much! On a double sided curb back board (or even a lip, let's just say you are on the curb sliding), you pop up into a feeble briefly and then dip/tilt hard into a smith.

Regular stance:

- back board
- sliiiiiiiiiiide
- dip the back foot/tilt into a feeble
- then push the front foot down and to your left and stand up so you roll over the curb into a Front smith on the other side from where you started.

I was doing feebles into smiths today (basically just rolling over to the other side of the curb), just angles and what side of the curb you start on vs when you come off/position your body. I don't stand straight up on feebles so I can keep the angle, if I stand straight up during the feeble, they tend to become smiths. So I started board to smiths by using the feeble to get my truck on then adjust the angle/stand straight up.

I'd image visually, it's easier to 'see' a front feeble transitioning into a backside smith; speaking strictly double sided curbs mind.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 02:17:33 PM by Xen »

Rubbrick

• Rep: 140
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2021, 01:15:11 PM »
I like pig rails, but have been running Enjoi ones because I got that box of 10 for a good price. They’re similar shape to the pig ones but they wear down a bit faster and don’t feel like it’s as dense of a plastic. I also have a set of Lil Jawns that are parking block shaped for my next curb setup. Small cottage company that does rad shapes and custom rails. Typically only run rails on the curb board. It’s nice to be able to have a consistent slide and is fun to do the board pop to hurricane, feeble, etc. Cheating, I know - but it’s still really fun.

I could never figure out how to seat them correctly, but I think I’ve got it down now. I line them up where I want them, then trace around the corners with pen. Then stick some tape underneath and pre-drill the holes (very carefully not to go through the whole deck). Remove the rails and scrape/blow out the dust. Then hand screw the screws. Using a drill is how you strip them and get them to come loose. You can skip a step by just using foam mounting tape, but I like to remove the pushed up wood after drilling so it sits flush

caviarcreew

• Rep: -2
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2021, 01:17:54 PM »

antarctica

• Rep: 21
  • why
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2021, 01:55:31 PM »
Finally a thread where I can voice my expertise in. Ive skated rails since my first setup and love them. Ill give a lil rundown of all the rails ive tried in no specific order.

#1 Powell: Mediocre at best, shape of them is weird, really thin but very tall. Also they have a really weird soft plasticy feel to them which I really hate. Instalation is a bit of a hassle but doable.

#2 Enjoi: Pretty good but theyre pretty short and are made out of a very hard plastic, instalation however is a dream.

#3 Welcome: Fun novelty coming in packs of one but I find them way too thick personally, double sided tape is genius but they are pretty pricey. Grabs work amazingly on them.

#4 Pig: To start off pig has by far the best shape and colour options out of all the rails ive tried, they also are made out of really good plastic. However, the screws they give you dont fit in the holes.Everytime I get a pair I have to reluctantly grab a razor blade and whittle the holes down to make them wide enough to fit the screws. Even with all the work I put in to make them skateable they still fall off my board or rattle like a motherfucker everytime I skate them.

#5 Madness: Basically enjoi but ive only seen them come in obnoxiously bright yellow with writing on the side, they lasted me a pretty long time tho.

#6 Heroin: Best. Rails. Ever. They are the perfect height and shape, they screw in perfect everytime, amazing plastic and they glow in the dark. Only gripe with them is that they dont have any colour options besides glow in the dark green.

I ride most of the time only one rail but Ill occaisonally put two if the graphic on my board is really sick or if im feeling like doing some weird tricks.

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2021, 05:31:33 PM »
I built this setup with this spot in mind (well maybe three) but the truck width (and wheel width, which is still too wide, need to drop down to V3s) is specifically for these curbs (those curbs) - 169s would be easier but I just can't...and the rails slide for dayz.

If that's the curb next to Twix/sand gaps, that's the only place I use rails.

Why would anyone use slide rails? The same reason people ride mopeds.

FUBAR

• Rep: 235
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2021, 06:08:28 PM »
I got some shred shack mfg/moose rails Im waiting on. Supposed to be good, we’ll see!

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2021, 06:33:43 PM »
I've tried a couple i like Pig the most so far

Last two sets I put on I've done the wood screws straight through all 7 plies (i think I read it on here)
and it works alot better. They clamp right down tight with no gaps and no rattle at all..

If you don't knock the screw tip off clean with your hammer you may get a little bump
But its pretty easy to perfect. 

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 529
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2021, 06:49:20 PM »
When I was big into the funky shapes and rails and all that, I was after very specifics, the orange powe thin ribs were some of the best I encountered, that shape and thin profile with the rounded outer edge were mimicked by black labels last attempt at rails as well as pocket pistols. Bit softer of a plastic though.

There’s a lot of dudes cutting their own and there’s a few spread among Instagram that have a bit of a following but I can’t remember names right now

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2021, 07:45:15 PM »
whenever i setup a new board i don't put any rails on and a few sessions in latest i miss them.

i do a lot of grabs and rails make it easier to tweak them.

bones better than santa cruz because they are softer and don't get as jagged.
also heard a lot of good things about the pig ones but never got my hands on a set.

PMA

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2021, 08:03:16 PM »
I got some shred shack mfg/moose rails Im waiting on. Supposed to be good, we’ll see!

I was going to nab some SoCal rails (made by shred shack) but went with the cheaper dogtown rails; we'll see!

FUBAR

• Rep: 235
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2021, 01:46:16 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I was going to nab some SoCal rails (made by shred shack) but went with the cheaper dogtown rails; we'll see!

This will be the first time using rails since a failed attempt last year, but I am setting up a bigger curb board and can’t wait to try them again...mounted correctly this time.

concerned_parent

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2021, 09:39:09 AM »
i run these kinda clunky creature ones and they're lime green and pretty cool

welcome ones were alright but pretty expensive and the tape works for one board and then you're donezo

don't like the powells

pig ones i've ridden the most and they're fine
good come sausage

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2021, 09:43:03 AM »
Pig Rails because they're 14" - all the others are too long and hit my wheelbite

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1576
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2021, 05:28:39 PM »
I have the mother lode on my Steve Clarr from 1989?  The Schmitt rails with the t-nut groove so no holes, you top mount them. 

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 573
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2021, 11:43:22 PM »
Pig Rails because they're 14" - all the others are too long and hit my wheelbite

The only set of pig rails I had were messed up and the screws wouldn’t fit the holes. I’m using OJ juice bars now and they are also 14”. I feel like they don’t slide super well I’m though but the wheelbite situation is why I’ve stuck them out.