Author Topic: The Rails Thread  (Read 14812 times)

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
Re: The Rails Thread
« Reply #60 on: May 20, 2021, 02:14:36 PM »
If you want to stop the rattle, pick up some very thin double-sided 3M-type tape from the hardware store. Something ~3-5mm wide, that fits under the rails. Apply the tape, always always always pre-drill a small guide hole, and install.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #61 on: May 25, 2021, 04:19:57 PM »
The SC HSR arrived today. Hollow undersides...not sure why...they're stiffer than the regular slimline rails (and the heroin glowsticks), and feel more plasticy.

They bevel inwards (taller edge on the outside, lower on the inside)

I'll report back when I get a chance to put them through their paces.

ManimalChin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 22
« Reply #62 on: May 25, 2021, 04:47:00 PM »
Hollow undersides...not sure why

Less material = less cost for manufacturing

babywantsbluevelvet

• Rep: 36
« Reply #63 on: May 25, 2021, 04:55:55 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Less cost for manufacturing = better Curbfeel™️

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 243
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #64 on: May 25, 2021, 05:00:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Less cost for manufacturing = better Curbfeel™️
also lightweight...

PhantomBased

• Rep: -13
« Reply #65 on: June 03, 2021, 07:26:36 AM »
I built this setup with this spot in mind (well maybe three) but the truck width (and wheel width, which is still too wide, need to drop down to V3s) is specifically for these curbs (those curbs) - 169s would be easier but I just can't...and the rails slide for dayz.

Wtf is wrong with your back wheels

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 974
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #66 on: June 03, 2021, 08:10:05 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Just the camera angle, which distorts straight lines and makes things look a bit weird.

I had the same thing when trying to take pics of actual bent hangers so holding them one way they looked completely straight and holding them the other made them look completely messed up.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #67 on: June 03, 2021, 09:42:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Just the camera angle, which distorts straight lines and makes things look a bit weird.

I had the same thing when trying to take pics of actual bent hangers so holding them one way they looked completely straight and holding them the other made them look completely messed up.

It's as if he's never seen pics posted on this forum...90% of them look fucked up

256 Ply

• Rep: 22
« Reply #68 on: June 03, 2021, 11:15:15 AM »
The SC HSR arrived today. Hollow undersides...not sure why...

It actually makes sense, as once you get to that part of the rail, you'd be flush with the wood screws. Might as well save some weight and use less plastic.

PhantomBased

« Reply #69 on: June 03, 2021, 11:45:16 AM »
Hey just a psa or whatever Idk if anyone else here tried the enjoi rails, not the stupid bird ones but the colored stix, they’re kinda shitty and are wearing down super fast idk if other rails do this but it like shreds and comes off in little dangly pieces kind of annoying, they were super cheap but next time gonna get welcome rails cos I hear those are the new Schmidt stix or whatever. Hopefully I saved someone some money peace

PhantomBased

« Reply #70 on: June 03, 2021, 11:47:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

It's as if he's never seen pics posted on this forum...90% of them look fucked up

I’ve only been on here for like a month and I don’t get on everyday cos life and shit so maybe I don’t notice all of the wheels in every single photo I look at I just thought maybe his axel was bent Yknow I appreciate your observation though homie
I didn’t mean any like hate on the dude I was just like woah look at that

Omars_Dad

• Rep: 61
« Reply #71 on: June 03, 2021, 12:44:46 PM »
I'm starting to actually really skate again after dealing with divorce, concussion, ankle sprain, and covid...all in that order. I found this perfect double high looooong parking block that i've been feeling out and for some reason the idea of one rail really made sense in my brain. I feel like i can slide without as much effort and have a little more balance too. Basically a whole new setup here aside from wheels and bearings

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 974
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #72 on: June 04, 2021, 02:04:43 AM »
Hey just a psa or whatever Idk if anyone else here tried the enjoi rails, not the stupid bird ones but the colored stix, they’re kinda shitty and are wearing down super fast idk if other rails do this but it like shreds and comes off in little dangly pieces kind of annoying, they were super cheap but next time gonna get welcome rails cos I hear those are the new Schmidt stix or whatever. Hopefully I saved someone some money peace

Interesting!

What surface are you sliding on?  I know something with a bit of crust to it will take a layer of wood off the middle of the board and demolish rails fairly quickly too, or even a sharper metal edge will also chew into rails, almost like a peeler is being used on them.

At least rails cost a lot less than a new deck, and you can always turn them around if they are wearing more to one end than the other, or even one edge to the other.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

PhantomBased

« Reply #73 on: June 04, 2021, 06:15:38 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Interesting!

What surface are you sliding on?  I know something with a bit of crust to it will take a layer of wood off the middle of the board and demolish rails fairly quickly too, or even a sharper metal edge will also chew into rails, almost like a peeler is being used on them.

At least rails cost a lot less than a new deck, and you can always turn them around if they are wearing more to one end than the other, or even one edge to the other.

Hey those are great ideas thanks man. I’m mostly sliding on parking blocks and painted curbs I’ll post a picture of my rails here

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
« Reply #74 on: June 04, 2021, 07:53:23 AM »
If you want to stop the rattle, pick up some very thin double-sided 3M-type tape from the hardware store. Something ~3-5mm wide, that fits under the rails. Apply the tape, always always always pre-drill a small guide hole, and install.

To add onto this,
My go to method is to pre-drill and make sure to clear out the wood shavings. I also use an impact gun which insures the screws are tight as possible without stripping them. This has always gotten the rails flush to the deck and stay that way for the duration of using the board.

I always feel bad for the kids who have rails but you can tell they only used a skate tool so they're uneven and not secured all the way.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #75 on: June 10, 2021, 09:03:06 AM »
The SC HSR arrived today. Hollow undersides...not sure why...they're stiffer than the regular slimline rails (and the heroin glowsticks), and feel more plasticy.

I get it now, the taller outside edge compensates for concave to create a much more even sliding plane.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 10:28:40 AM by Xen »

FUBAR

• Rep: 231
« Reply #76 on: June 13, 2021, 04:30:38 PM »
I used a few beads of shoe goo and hand screwed them in. The shoe goo made my board sound dead and I hate it. Going to leave it at the skatepark, with rails on it, and never try rails again. Rails stayed tight though!

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #77 on: June 20, 2021, 12:03:31 PM »
After skating SC's Slimline for months and putting the new High speed rails, through a few weeks of the same terrain, I can say they do feel faster but mainly due to them being harder and admittedly, the beveled edge does create a nice flat/level surface if you put them about an inch in. Prices being equal, I'd go for them everytime.

The real veganshawn

• Rep: 82
  • What the fuck was that
« Reply #78 on: June 21, 2021, 06:57:13 PM »
Slappy Hour swizzle stix are truth, 13.5 in so no rail wheel bite, they slide great and Jason Adam's is the best ever
Cocteau Twins

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #79 on: June 22, 2021, 08:31:04 PM »
I took rails off my board back in the day when they "died." I tried them again last year, and within 5 min I was like, "Why the fuck did I ever take these off!?!?" Been riding them ever since.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
« Reply #80 on: July 08, 2021, 07:43:03 AM »
Tried my old popsicle shape without rails, after several months skating on railed setups exclusively. I really missed the rattle! I’ve gotten totally used to it and now the rattle is like part of the same spitfire scream noise that I associate with skating. Somebody stop me before I pull the shields off my bearings  ;D

Srt32srt

• Rep: 1
« Reply #81 on: October 15, 2021, 07:45:19 AM »
Like a lot of others here I tried Pig rails and found that the screws were shitty and the rails came out of my board pretty quickly. They also rattled a lot.

Now I have some Santa Cruz rails which are holding nicely, no rattle, no screw issues. A bit long for the Dane 1 wheelbase tho and I do occasionally get wheelbite. Rail wheelbite is so much worse than deck wheelbite. But they’re fun for a curb cruiser and also for getting a little more height between the wheels and the ground on boardslides with big soft wheels.

Kinda want to lighten the setup a little tho. Considering using a single rail for my next cruiser/shaped deck... although the different may be totally marginal, idk

i weigh all my rails and found that rib bones and lil jawns rails are lighter than the santa cruz and molded plastic models. the rib bones are half the weight of the santa cruz rails. oj juice bar makes a 14" single rail. if you want lighter rails make sure to get the rails that are cut to shape like lil jawns, rib bones, slappy hour, bevup rails are the few i know of.

ive been trying to find a lightweight slappy setup.  Girl love seat 9" deck with tensor mag light 5.75(8.5"axle) trucks, orbs pugs wheels and lil jawn slim rails, quantum atom ceramic bearings, mob grip.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
« Reply #82 on: October 15, 2021, 11:42:54 PM »
creature glow 14"

streetmeat

• Rep: 172
« Reply #83 on: October 16, 2021, 04:12:02 AM »
who sells rails with only 4 holes? i know Lil Jawns does but anyone know of anyone else?

Curbfiend

• Rep: 4
« Reply #84 on: October 16, 2021, 04:29:01 AM »
who sells rails with only 4 holes? i know Lil Jawns does but anyone know of anyone else?

Swizzle sticks are 4 hole

Srt32srt

« Reply #85 on: October 16, 2021, 01:24:14 PM »
Expand Quote
I’ll start with this, if you don’t frequently skate a double sided curb then rails aren’t really needed all the time. It really dramatically makes the spot way more fun and opens up so many possibilities for combos and turns that 1 foot boardslide into a 20 footer easily.
I get flack from those 30+ year old buddies who take themselves and their skating way too seriously with trick do’s and donts lists. For a bigger guy it makes every flat bar slide the same, board slides on coping are way more fun too.
I’ve been told I’m cheating, had people look at my board with disgust. I don’t worry about their setups but they seem like they love to judge mine. It’s just a different approach.
Anyways as for rail types, brands use different materials. The harder plastic Santa Cruz, pig, madness uses is faster kind of but less damp so the screws are more likely to come out and rattle and they also wear down much faster than the material welcome, new deal, rad railz, lil jawns, Powell etc use. I also set mine about 1.5-1.75 inches in for maximum combo as the leverage point of your board is where the concave begins.
I used one rail for fun a few times but didn’t see a big change so just went to 2 as I couldn’t do the boardcane without a heel side rail.
[close]

Thank you, this is some choice information. I just got some slightly longer screws for my New Deal rails (they're very shallowly routed and popped off too easily on the last board I tried them on) and I am going to put them on my current whip and wasn't quite sure how far I wanted to put them in.

Big Shalom to everyone who has posted in here thus far as well.

TREX super glue tape is thin tape that will hold the rails down along with the screws. i also predrill my holes just to get them started. i measured 1/3" on a drill bit and wrapped electrical tape around the bit so i wont go too far into the deck. hope it helps. happy shredding!

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #86 on: October 16, 2021, 09:17:29 PM »
I’ve only used Pig rails but also have Powell ones and some Film trucks ones stashed. The Pig rails are a pain to install but doable. I’ve gotten the screws to sink in enough with just a screwdriver but it takes way too much force and effort. Mine have never rattled or become loose though. Would like to make it a bit easier to install them. Thinking of maybe trying drilling a small pilot hole first if I can get a drill somewhere. 🤔

Slappy boardslides on double sided curbs are one of my favorite tricks and I really like the more consistent slide the rails give you. You don’t have to cake the curb with wax to be sure it won’t randomly stick at some point. I also usually install mine wide enough that the graphic still gets scratched. It feels really stable for boardslides. Maybe I could put them in a bit more for board to hurricanes or some other combos. Might try that next summer when the curb sessions are back on and my wrist is healed.

Some time ago I came across rails made of old snowboards on Instagram. That seemed like an interesting idea. Couldn’t find them now that I tried to google it. Anyone have any idea what those are?

Srt32srt

« Reply #87 on: October 17, 2021, 07:37:22 AM »

How much do they weigh? The original sc slimline weighed 130grams, powell rib bones are the lightest at 70grams.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
« Reply #88 on: October 17, 2021, 07:45:25 AM »
if only Powell provide the rat nuts with the rails like they used to.. those were cool..

Srt32srt

« Reply #89 on: October 17, 2021, 07:46:40 AM »

Slappyhour and bevup rails has only 4 holes.