Author Topic: The Rails Thread  (Read 14819 times)

streetmeat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 172
Re: The Rails Thread
« Reply #180 on: January 23, 2023, 11:10:43 AM »
Expand Quote
You can just message the jawns dude he’ll make you literally anything

Plus his rails last like 6 boards
[close]

Best rails that I've ever skated by far.  4 holes, 14" so no wheelbite issues, double-sided tape, slide through anything

same checked boxed as Slappy Hour rails but even shorter to accommodate us 14” WBers

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 115
« Reply #181 on: January 23, 2023, 07:00:15 PM »
I’ve had a set of powell rib bones on a 13.625 wb deck for weeks and I didn’t even bother to compare rail size vs wb…. Kinda shocked to read through this and learn they are 14.5” but I haven’t really noticed any issues on any tricks so maybe ignorance is bliss as is usually the case

streetmeat

« Reply #182 on: January 24, 2023, 03:27:44 AM »
I’ve had a set of powell rib bones on a 13.625 wb deck for weeks and I didn’t even bother to compare rail size vs wb…. Kinda shocked to read through this and learn they are 14.5” but I haven’t really noticed any issues on any tricks so maybe ignorance is bliss as is usually the case

probably not something to actually have a 'madness' over. i do like mine set out a little farther than it seems most people do, added with having very loose trucks, i'll take any little thing to not have them catch wheelbite on the rails themselves

animalflesh

« Reply #183 on: January 24, 2023, 06:58:37 PM »
He’ll make them shorter too my friend has 13” from him on his 13.75 WB

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
« Reply #184 on: January 25, 2023, 09:04:23 PM »
i've only used bones and creature rails. other brands readily available in my country would be SC and Enjoi and generic shop rails which i've yet to try.

streetmeat

« Reply #185 on: May 12, 2023, 12:02:08 PM »
anyone know the best replacement screws? size? i could probably just take my beat ones to the hardware store and match them but figured id ask

disclosed

• Rep: 168
« Reply #186 on: May 12, 2023, 01:58:48 PM »
anyone know the best replacement screws? size? i could probably just take my beat ones to the hardware store and match them but figured id ask

i know it in millimeters.
4x12.
tho i prefer the 3.5x12 cause sometimes the stock ones don't fit properly anymore when the holes get kinda squished from wear. or when you get one of those rails where the screws refuse to fit at all for some reason.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #187 on: July 10, 2023, 05:04:39 AM »
What are the thickest rails? My new local mini ramp is so mellow that wheels drag on smith grinds. Currently have those creature glow in the dark rails and they're juuuust not thick enough (10mm) to not make the wheels drag.

Maybe height is the better word? Not sure. I don't mean the width.

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
« Reply #188 on: July 10, 2023, 05:57:38 AM »
What are the thickest rails? My new local mini ramp is so mellow that wheels drag on smith grinds. Currently have those creature glow in the dark rails and they're juuuust not thick enough (10mm) to not make the wheels drag.

OJs are the thickest I've seen but briefly looking at the creature rails online, they look the same. Not sure if there are any thicker options  out there.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #189 on: July 10, 2023, 06:33:54 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

OJs are the thickest I've seen but briefly looking at the creature rails online, they look the same. Not sure if there are any thicker options  out there.
Seems like no company even mentions the thickness. Might be the case that all rails are 10mm thick

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 705
« Reply #190 on: July 10, 2023, 09:54:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
Seems like no company even mentions the thickness. Might be the case that all rails are 10mm thick

https://radrailz.bigcartel.com/product/big-radrailz I had the 3/4" thick ones (19mm). Way too thick for me....

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #191 on: July 10, 2023, 02:18:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

https://radrailz.bigcartel.com/product/big-radrailz I had the 3/4" thick ones (19mm). Way too thick for me....
Omg these would be it, if the shipping cost to europe wasn't much more than the product itself. Sick that somebody actually makes those

animalflesh

« Reply #192 on: July 11, 2023, 11:48:50 AM »
Rib bones are taller, I only use rib bones personally

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #193 on: August 25, 2023, 02:55:57 AM »
Any tips on not snapping screw heads during installation?

I’m using a screw driver and some screws I took from a hardware store instead of the stock ones, still managed to take the head off and pop another one out in the process

Samsquantch

• Rep: 60
« Reply #194 on: September 05, 2023, 12:12:08 PM »
Any tips on not snapping screw heads during installation?

I’m using a screw driver and some screws I took from a hardware store instead of the stock ones, still managed to take the head off and pop another one out in the process

Couple weeks old question, but here's what I did that worked excellent:

-Used masking tape to position rails where I wanted them.

-Get a drill bit that's about half the outer diameter of the screws, use the drill to mark the holes by just going in a couple mm.

-Remove the rails and drill the holes you started the rest of the way. I wrap masking tape around the drill bit at a depth that's around ¾ the thickness of the deck so you don't go through by accident.

-No rails yet, take a screw and go a few turns into, and back out of each hole, this will raise a bit of a hump around each hole, sand down the humps, this ensures the rails will sit dead flat on the deck.

-Put the rails on and hand tighten, you won't need so much force and you'll clearly feel the point where they are snug.

Also want to add, I'd never skated rails up until a few weeks ago, and holy shit, these things are a cheat code for boardslides on double sided curbs! So stable, so easy, so fun...

Went with Powell Rib bones.

disclosed

• Rep: 168
« Reply #195 on: September 06, 2023, 08:06:49 AM »
i just never had screw heads snap, or heard of it happeneing to any of my friends.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #196 on: September 06, 2023, 12:53:00 PM »
So just a follow up, I tried a similar method to what was mentioned above, and I snapped a screw head on a flat ground Ollie.

I ran rails for years but I think this is it for me, no more.

krisdt17

• Rep: 2
« Reply #197 on: September 13, 2023, 07:50:48 AM »
Been using a drill driver to install rails. No need for pre-drilling holes. Have to take drive the screws slowly. Never had a problem.

And_so_it_goes22

• Rep: 26
« Reply #198 on: September 13, 2023, 01:24:44 PM »
So just a follow up, I tried a similar method to what was mentioned above, and I snapped a screw head on a flat ground Ollie.

I ran rails for years but I think this is it for me, no more.

This makes zero sense to me. I don’t understand how a deck rail screw would snap from a flat ground ollie. Are you sure you didn’t overtighten the wood screws on the rails, and then end up stripping the wood? And it then just fell out?  Because that makes sense.   You’re sure it snapped?  You found a broken screw head, or you can see the rest of the screw in your deck?

I think it’s already been said in this thread, but you need to be careful when installing deck rails to not over tighten the wood screws. Or else you will end up stripping the wood and the screws will fall out. That’s why a lot of people advise against using a power drill to install the wood screws. 

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #199 on: December 17, 2023, 09:55:58 AM »
Two sessions on some Slimlines and the front rail is almost worn to the screw. Granted I have been doing nothing but boardslides and feebles on very rugged double siders but still, these rails will not last the life of the deck. Think I've over them anyway. Its probably perceived but the board just feels too bulky to do anything else but skate curbs on. I do want to see if they help smiths on transitions though.

MongoSwitchIsIllegal

• Rep: -6
« Reply #200 on: February 02, 2024, 10:47:46 AM »
Only thing I don't like about Lil Jawnz is that they use cheap harbor freight screws... I have bought 3 pairs of Jawnz and I always have 2 screws strip and have had several fall out after a lot of use. The material is great but god they could invest in some non-chinese, discounted, aluminum fragile screws...

Lil Jawnz with Slimeline/HSR screws would be great.
Wu Wei - The Art of Doing Nothing - Effortless Action

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 940
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #201 on: February 02, 2024, 11:01:25 AM »
Gotta say, the Welcome candy bars are where it's at, 4 holes, short so no wheelbite issues, good screws and come stock with tape already applied.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #202 on: February 02, 2024, 11:07:14 AM »
Good to know.  I persevered with my slim lines and I am pretty used to them now, even on steel coping.

MongoSwitchIsIllegal

• Rep: -6
« Reply #203 on: February 02, 2024, 01:56:40 PM »
Gotta say, the Welcome candy bars are where it's at, 4 holes, short so no wheelbite issues, good screws and come stock with tape already applied.

Those look sick!! Thanks for showing me them. I can't find them in stock anywhere though. :(
Wu Wei - The Art of Doing Nothing - Effortless Action