Author Topic: Alex Olson On The Future Of 917 / Jenkem Interview  (Read 18920 times)

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 715
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Alex Olson On The Future Of 917 / Jenkem Interview
« Reply #120 on: May 13, 2021, 06:58:04 PM »
Big fan of Alex. Hope for the best for him.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

sid vicious

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
« Reply #121 on: May 13, 2021, 06:58:46 PM »
Alex is the best

CrappyChan

• Rep: -54
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #122 on: May 13, 2021, 07:00:46 PM »
New drop is silly but I think he will figure it out. Keep going alex
"From Todd Falcon to Tony Hawk, the Ben Raybourn story"

fortunecattlesteakhouse

• Rep: 91
« Reply #123 on: May 13, 2021, 09:05:37 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I absolutely hate this. Get your weirdly moist ass out of skating. Id rather hear from Marc Johnson or Auralien Girard's grandma at this point.

had me laughing. but hes deep! nah

"If the emperor looks naked, the emperor is naked."
I hate this guy.  He gives off major trustafarian vibes.  After Pretty Sweet and starting 917, he flaked out and ran his company into the ground to where everyone quit.  He's just milking it at this point, like his dad, who concentrates on being drunk in public and creeping on way younger women.  Shit is lame.  Fuck the Olsons.

Tyrone Olson and Shorty's Steve Olson are still cool though
thats only because a trustafarian is exactly what he is. dude fried his brain on acid and yoga years ago. over it

JohnnyBoy

• Rep: 7
    • Fat Skater avatar image
« Reply #124 on: May 13, 2021, 10:59:49 PM »

[/quote]
thats only because a trustafarian is exactly what he is. dude fried his brain on acid and yoga years ago. over it
[/quote]

I dont get the impression that he grew up rich or did a lot
acid. I dont know him personally or anything but regardless Im going to have to issue an official Sourpuss Take alert. You should try yoga, it might release some
of the toxins you’re spewing on this message board young man.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
« Reply #125 on: May 13, 2021, 11:03:07 PM »
Now I feel bad for quitting.....

Rockin Robbin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 424
« Reply #126 on: May 15, 2021, 12:33:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Anyone have a link to Cyrus's shitty graphic design?
[close]

Id guess it’s that lotties/flash sheet/high school notebook doodling that’s de rigueur these days

Idk he says "just learned photoshop" which makes me hopeful for some awful typography and shitty gradients or something. Maybe even a drop shadow.
"Bake me a pie of love" - Steve Winwood

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -297
« Reply #127 on: May 15, 2021, 12:44:13 AM »
You can say whatever you want about his kooky ways or lack of business etc etc.. but he undeniably has one of the best styles of all time. And I fucking love it.

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #128 on: May 15, 2021, 12:56:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Do not get the hate and people calling him insufferable.   Seems like one of the few skaters with a brain and a point of view as opposed to all the braying morons doing revs or hellriding
[close]

I like him but he's always, always came across as 'too cool for school'. It was way worse when he was on Girl but embarrassed about it and would just constantly trash everyone and everything he was involved with. Seems he's getting more self aware with age.
[close]

I feel like there’s Alex’s too cool for school which is about rejecting before they can reject you and there’s the Supreme/GX1000 too cool for school which is jocky and asshole-ish

Best take
listen to cosmic psychos

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 767
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
« Reply #129 on: May 15, 2021, 01:21:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Anyone have a link to Cyrus's shitty graphic design?
[close]

Id guess it’s that lotties/flash sheet/high school notebook doodling that’s de rigueur these days
[close]

Idk he says "just learned photoshop" which makes me hopeful for some awful typography and shitty gradients or something. Maybe even a drop shadow.

Mango took the Cyrus files and made frog just to piss off aidan macky. Cyrus would join frog but mango’s not his boss

nothing's been the since same

Grind King Rims

« Reply #130 on: May 15, 2021, 02:44:23 PM »
Anyone have any guesses who the delusional fuck was that called to quit without even being on the team?

I'm laughing to myself thinking what if it was Genesis Evans after the 3 board sponsors fiasco and barely having any footage in the two videos, hahahaha. But really vvv

The best part of this was him mentioning the person who wasn't on the team calling him to quit. Alex acts like he made it clear who was on and who wasn't, there were between 3-20 people in the 2nd 917 video who I couldn't distinguish from one another

Yeah exactly, hahahaha.

First time in a while a while team quits their sponsor or what?

Maybe the last time I can think of was when the OG group left Welcome?

Anyway, I'm just happy to see him back ripping.

Christmas Complete

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 813
  • You better shut up, Don
« Reply #131 on: May 15, 2021, 02:49:36 PM »

I don't think this means what you think it means. Alex is a neurotic weirdo, but he's definitely not a trust fund kid.
Andy Anderson, I cannot sanction your buffoonery.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
« Reply #132 on: May 15, 2021, 03:00:18 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I don't think this means what you think it means. Alex is a neurotic weirdo, but he's definitely not a trust fund kid.

And the vast majority of kids with moneyed parents don’t have trust funds set up for them.

fortunecattlesteakhouse

• Rep: 91
« Reply #133 on: May 15, 2021, 03:08:09 PM »
nah i never said he had a trust fund. "a wealthy young person who adopts an alternative lifestyle incorporating elements from non-western cultures"

Christmas Complete

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 813
  • You better shut up, Don
« Reply #134 on: May 15, 2021, 03:49:23 PM »
Alex is a kid with moneyed parents? A single mom living in apartments and a drifter bio-dad? Not trying to white knight Alex, but I grew up with some of these actual spoiled brats and just don't think the label applies. Is he a new age, hippie poser? Looks like it, but he's definitely not living on his daddy's dime.

Several definition of the term:

trustafarian
/ (ˌtrʌstəˈfɛərɪən) /

noun
(sometimes capital) British informal a young person from a wealthy background whose trust fund enables him or her to eschew conventional attitudes to work, dress, drug taking, etc

trustafarian (plural trustafarians)

(slang) A young person with the fashion sensibilities of a hippie, or any other countercultural trend, especially anarchism, Maoism, or punk rock, who subscribes to an unemployed, shiftless life of hedonism based upon an unlimited amount of funds (a trust fund).

trustafarian
priviliged white kids who subsribe to the hippie lifestyle (because they can) since they have no worries about money, a job etc. They can then devote their lives to eating organic, following Phish, and wearing dreadlocks (no need for job interviews).

"The term trustafarian is often applied to a trust fund baby or other privileged white person who deliberately affects the lifestyle of a true hippie or Rastafarian."
Andy Anderson, I cannot sanction your buffoonery.

PM

• Rep: -11
« Reply #135 on: May 15, 2021, 03:58:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Anyone have any guesses who the delusional fuck was that called to quit without even being on the team?
[close]

I'm laughing to myself thinking what if it was Genesis Evans after the 3 board sponsors fiasco and barely having any footage in the two videos, hahahaha. But really vvv

LMAO I think it's either him or that dude with the leather jackets. Imagining both scenarios is cracking me up they are both so fucking goofy

Reed Richards

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #136 on: May 16, 2021, 05:41:26 PM »
Alex is a kid with moneyed parents? A single mom living in apartments and a drifter bio-dad? Not trying to white knight Alex, but I grew up with some of these actual spoiled brats and just don't think the label applies. Is he a new age, hippie poser? Looks like it, but he's definitely not living on his daddy's dime.

trustafarian
/ (ˌtrʌstəˈfɛərɪən) /

noun
(sometimes capital) British informal a young person from a wealthy background whose trust fund enables him or her to eschew conventional attitudes to work, dress, drug taking, etc

(slang) A young person with the fashion sensibilities of a hippie, or any other countercultural trend, especially anarchism, Maoism, or punk rock, who subscribes to an unemployed, shiftless life of hedonism based upon an unlimited amount of funds (a trust fund).

trustafarian
priviliged white kids who subsribe to the hippie lifestyle (because they can) since they have no worries about money, a job etc. They can then devote their lives to eating organic, following Phish, and wearing dreadlocks (no need for job interviews).

"The term trustafarian is often applied to a trust fund baby or other privileged white person who deliberately affects the lifestyle of a true hippie or Rastafarian."
I mean Trustafarian vibes in the sense that he just kind of meanders through life without really worrying about anything, kind of like the new age hippie poseur you mentioned.  Not in the most literal terms.  Dude is doing yoga and weird ass breathing exercises while his company crumbles.  He's a kook for that, in my book.

#SaveIpath

• Rep: -2
« Reply #137 on: May 16, 2021, 08:33:49 PM »
Big fan of Alex. Hope for the best for him.

dallou

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 160
    • Music avatar image
« Reply #138 on: May 17, 2021, 01:39:47 AM »
Expand Quote

trustafarian
/ (ˌtrʌstəˈfɛərɪən) /

noun

trustafarian

[close]
I mean Trustafarian vibes in the sense that he just kind of meanders through life without really worrying about anything, kind of like the new age hippie poseur you mentioned.  Not in the most literal terms.  Dude is doing yoga and weird ass breathing exercises while his company crumbles.  He's a kook for that, in my book.

100% why I like more than ever
check my music

Scott Chegg

• Rep: -5
« Reply #139 on: May 17, 2021, 03:17:14 AM »

fernando the skater

• Rep: 108
« Reply #140 on: February 17, 2023, 02:15:27 AM »
You can now get a 917 surfboard shaped by Alex.

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -297
« Reply #141 on: February 17, 2023, 02:27:43 AM »

Thanks, fernando!

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -513
« Reply #142 on: February 17, 2023, 06:19:23 AM »
Does Alex have an alternate persona that he dons a fake nose for? Am I seeing this right?

donkey

• Rep: -66
  • donk
« Reply #143 on: February 17, 2023, 06:41:33 AM »

That's honestly pretty dope but i dont understand the choice to have half a fishtail. I feel like that would throw the whole structure and feel of the board off but I could be wrong

mooraga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
« Reply #144 on: February 17, 2023, 10:01:03 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That's honestly pretty dope but i dont understand the choice to have half a fishtail. I feel like that would throw the whole structure and feel of the board off but I could be wrong

Ive never seen a non symmetrical surf board but a 1 minute google search proved me wrong: they work
it could make some sense since youre always on the same stance and maybe feels more responsive on the side
but where are the skateboards dude?

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 259
« Reply #145 on: February 17, 2023, 10:05:01 AM »
Guess Alex can only go right. Really can’t believe he is turning 917 into a surf brand.

Jehoshaphat Augustus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 298
« Reply #146 on: February 17, 2023, 10:19:44 AM »
Guess Alex can only go right. Really can’t believe he is turning 917 into a surf brand.
I hear he's so excited to ghost the surf team at their surf video premier and then later quit the surf game altogether

lemme leave my sponsor for that right away

Botoz

• Rep: -13
« Reply #147 on: February 17, 2023, 10:35:13 AM »
dude took it too easy after dover street agreed to carry his brands and now he don’t don’t care for either bianca and 917 just let the sales numbers go to red naturally

Free Whirl

• Rep: 3
« Reply #148 on: February 17, 2023, 10:36:54 AM »
that aysm board looks pretty dope ngl. I wanna see more clips of AO surfing. Ive seen his pops surf LA County and he is damn good lmao

doublesteveburger

« Reply #149 on: February 17, 2023, 10:53:31 AM »
that aysm board looks pretty dope ngl. I wanna see more clips of AO surfing. Ive seen his pops surf LA County and he is damn good lmao

is your ass okay you seemed to have laughed it off of your body