Author Topic: nakel lotties rant  (Read 178945 times)

fs180

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -267
Re: nakel lotties rant
« Reply #150 on: May 23, 2021, 01:24:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I just looked it up and Babylon LA is some sort of horrible streetwear shop that does collabs, one of dozens of those types of stores these days.

I also noticed that the shops are literally 2 blocks away on the same street. If I was a core shop and some garbage hypebeast-adjacent retail spot, vaguely trying to connect to skating moved in, i would be bummed too. Who was on that street first?
[close]

man listen Nakel is an idiot ok he shouldn't have said this but just fucking sit your ass down and shut the fuck up if you dont know how well Babylon is for that area. seems like its connecting all types of skating interested people. no need for selling all types of hardgoods.
nothing worse than skaters only wanting to be around skaters.
it makes sense actually if nakel hates Lotties and dudes like you end up going there.
you just can't take anything that is remotely cool.
some of y'all sound like you skate with full body procreation gear on just trying to further proof the point that nak hasn't his emotions under control.
[close]

If you think it's cool then it definitely isn't.

And how the fuck do you know how "well" it is for the area. Dont you live in Germany?

i do but when they opened that shop footage was everywhere and everyone came out even Griselda records and if they are at you're opening I dont give a fuck if your little stupid skate shop has been there for a little longer.
this shop isn't for people that think completely practical. most things that look cool aren't.

KGB

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -461
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #151 on: May 23, 2021, 01:24:48 PM »
Anyone who’s ever stepped FOOT in Lottie’s or even had a passing glance at the shop’s Instagram account can attest to the fact that the shop caters first and foremost to all the neighborhood kids in the surrounding area.

"And yeah. Literally none of those kids are white ...."

Sounds pretty racist to me. White people are also a race of humans.

"Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols"

IpathCats

« Reply #152 on: May 23, 2021, 01:25:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Apparently Lotties hasn’t done any/enough giveaways at skateparks to satisfy Ol Ewok Face
[close]
gnarred

Would if I could. Lol'd at that

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 260
« Reply #153 on: May 23, 2021, 01:25:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I just looked it up and Babylon LA is some sort of horrible streetwear shop that does collabs, one of dozens of those types of stores these days.

I also noticed that the shops are literally 2 blocks away on the same street. If I was a core shop and some garbage hypebeast-adjacent retail spot, vaguely trying to connect to skating moved in, i would be bummed too. Who was on that street first?
[close]
babylon did baker collabs and spitfire collabs before Lotties was even a shop
[close]

that's not what I asked. who was on that street first?
[close]
a lot of local skaters have been putting on for that area long before rich ass born into family money millionaire westside mike lotties decided it was his zone that’s for sure

What’s so special about that area?   Kind of a random part of LA

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
« Reply #154 on: May 23, 2021, 01:43:55 PM »
So, it seems like Mike told the kids to stay away from Babylon and keep shopping at Lotties, probably because Babylon does not fit the mold of a core skate shop and seems like (to me, at least, after glancing at the website) it has its sights set on profits rather than community. The Babylon affiliates obviously took this as disrespect to what they're trying to do and view Mike as a gentrifier since he is a white man (with presumably a lot more money than other shop owners in the area?) who owns a skateshop that serves a minority community. Nak specifically feels like Mike is trying to suppress a (partially) black owned business by telling kids to avoid Babylon.

Babylon is co-owned and was founded by Spielman, a white man. So, not really sure how Mike is racist in this situation but maybe the multiple Babylon affiliate accounts here can shed more light. Also, still not sure how the gentrification part is possible since a small skateshop doesn't really seem to have the power to displace other shops by taking over the market, especially not Babylon with their popularity with people in and outside of skateboarding. Also, Babylon isn't a skate shop I don't think... seems like they only sell clothes? Mike was probably just trying to steer the kids from his shop away from something he thinks is lame and skate adjacent. Doesn't seem racist to me, just very CORE. Imo, no reason why these two couldn't exist in peace. Hopefully the beef can be squashed so the kids who visit Lotties can continue to support their shop AND learn to rip transition in that Babylon bowl without having to endure grown ups bickering at each other about "who was here first" or "who does more giveaways."

Edit: for shit i fucked up
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

cilantro

• Rep: 44
  • human bean
« Reply #155 on: May 23, 2021, 01:55:29 PM »
Trash talk demo ripped. After that they got pretty fucking stale

Trying to point fingers at who’s the biggest gentrifier when majority of your friends are transplants is a joke

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #156 on: May 23, 2021, 01:56:41 PM »

Trying to point fingers at who’s the biggest gentrifier when majority of your friends are transplants is a joke

As if a skate shop is going to cause rents to hike up and drive out the locals

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #157 on: May 23, 2021, 02:01:21 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

As if a skate shop is going to cause rents to hike up and drive out the locals

Exactly, ridiculous claim.

the stupid thing is I don’t even think babylon and Lotties have issues lol they been existing next to each other for awhile. Everytime I’ve skated the babylon bowl it seems like there’s Lotties kids there too. It’s always a mix. Pedro Delfino is skating the babylon bowl in that homies video thrasher dropped. This shit all started cause Lotties posted something about the local skatepark Rancho and the DIY in the area that could be seen as weird & not knowing what part of town hes in. A lot of kids in that area grew up skating at rancho so they took mad offense to it and flipped out.

Seems like what we're missin' here are some screenshots of this

Nancy Chin The Manicurist

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 222
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #158 on: May 23, 2021, 02:16:12 PM »
Anyone who’s ever stepped FOOT in Lottie’s or even had a passing glance at the shop’s Instagram account can attest to the fact that the shop caters first and foremost to all the neighborhood kids in the surrounding area.

"And yeah. Literally none of those kids are white ...."

Sounds pretty racist to me. White people are also a race of humans.

Whoa wha?!?!  no way !!!!!!!!!!!  Thanks for the info !

BugleBites

• Rep: -68
« Reply #159 on: May 23, 2021, 02:33:08 PM »
Expand Quote
So, it seems like Mike told the kids to stay away from Babylon and keep shopping at Lotties, probably because Babylon does not fit the mold of a core skate shop and seems like (to me, at least, after glancing at the website) it has its sights set on profits rather than community. The Babylon affiliates obviously took this as disrespect to what they're trying to do and view Mike as a gentrifier since he is a white man (with presumably a lot more money than other shop owners in the area?) who owns a skateshop that serves a minority community. Nak specifically feels like Mike is trying to suppress a (partially) black owned business by telling kids to avoid Babylon.

Babylon is co-owned and was founded by Spielman, a white man. So, not really sure how Mike is racist in this situation but maybe the multiple Babylon affiliate accounts here can shed more light. Also, still not sure how the gentrification part is possible since a small skateshop doesn't really seem to have the power to displace other shops by taking over the market, especially not Babylon with their popularity with people in and outside of skateboarding. Also, Babylon isn't a skate shop I don't think... seems like they only sell clothes? Mike was probably just trying to steer the kids from his shop away from something he thinks is lame and skate adjacent. Doesn't seem racist to me, just very CORE. Imo, no reason why these two couldn't exist in peace. Hopefully the beef can be squashed so the kids who visit Lotties can continue to support their shop AND learn to rip transition in that Babylon bowl without having to endure grown ups bickering at each other about "who was here first" or "who does more giveaways."

Edit: for shit i fucked up
[close]
This shit all started cause Lotties posted something about the local skatepark Rancho and the DIY in the area that could be seen as weird & not knowing what part of town hes in. A lot of kids in that area grew up skating at rancho so they took mad offense to it and flipped out.

Why not just say what was said? Why so vague?

SIMPLY

• Rep: 32
« Reply #160 on: May 23, 2021, 02:42:02 PM »
The post the other day lotties made was something along the lines of “hey kids don’t go to the rancho diy park, people there are taking Hispanic kids’ boards and money.” Later that night Nak made his posts and Lotties’ were deleted

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #161 on: May 23, 2021, 02:46:59 PM »
The post the other day lotties made was something along the lines of “hey kids don’t go to the rancho diy park, people there are taking Hispanic kids’ boards and money.” Later that night Nak made his posts and Lotties’ were deleted

Isn’t this the opposite of them being shitty and not supporting the community?

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2210
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #162 on: May 23, 2021, 02:58:02 PM »
Lotties can kiss my ass. One of the owners of Babylon is black and the owner of lotties got the nerve to dislike his shop that’s in a black neighborhood after the fact that Babylon tried to be coo with lotties. & note… the owner of lotties it’s note for the skate community, how you gone tell the Lil kids from
Your shop not to go to Babylon. Kinda Lil kid shit is that.. Fuck that racist mike lotties !! Get ya bread up and stop worrying bout the next mutha fuckas old man…
Real talk though, Na-Kel; did Lotties decline to pre-book for Autumn/Winter ‘21/‘22?
Or is the Spielman fellow just a better grade of white dude than the Lotties guy?
What’s really the genesis of this beef?
Also, no offense to the Anti_Hero_666 person, but backing the fashion boutique rather than the hardgoods shop sounds more SELLride than hellride, but you do you. I don’t even live near the area, so I’ve got no biz commenting in the first place.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
« Reply #163 on: May 23, 2021, 03:02:10 PM »
Is the full Quartersnacks Mindfield remix still online? I think that vid was where I first became aware that Mike Gigliottit was a person

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #164 on: May 23, 2021, 03:07:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
you can’t shit on an entire place & local scene because of a couple of bad apples. That’s not supporting shit.

I guess I don’t get the issue.  He’s warning local kids about a sketchy situation.   What’s he supposed to do?

rukes

• Rep: 216
  • Yabba dabba doo
« Reply #165 on: May 23, 2021, 03:13:01 PM »

It's a DIY park, so these kids are taking their own boards and money off themselves? Kids these days are wild
Is it true?  Or did you read it on the slap message board?

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1159
  • old and in the way
« Reply #166 on: May 23, 2021, 03:34:47 PM »

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #167 on: May 23, 2021, 03:35:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Lotties can kiss my ass. One of the owners of Babylon is black and the owner of lotties got the nerve to dislike his shop that’s in a black neighborhood after the fact that Babylon tried to be coo with lotties. & note… the owner of lotties it’s note for the skate community, how you gone tell the Lil kids from
Your shop not to go to Babylon. Kinda Lil kid shit is that.. Fuck that racist mike lotties !! Get ya bread up and stop worrying bout the next mutha fuckas old man…
[close]
Real talk though, Na-Kel; did Lotties decline to pre-book for Autumn/Winter ‘21/‘22?
Or is the Spielman fellow just a better grade of white dude than the Lotties guy?
Also, no offense to the Anti_Hero_666 person, but backing the fashion boutique rather than the hardgoods shop sounds more SELLride than hellride, but you do you. I don’t even live near the area, so I’ve got no biz commenting in the first place.
[close]
it may not seem like it cause they aren’t flooding their Instagram with photos of little kids hanging out in their store all day but there is more of a blossoming scene surrounding babylon than there is at lotties the place is slammed with kids skating daily and it seems like they been doing diff shit every other week since they opened. I guess I’m just backing the shit cause it’s weird to hate on a place that built a bowl and said hey everyone go have fun. How the fuck can you hate on that? They don’t even sell hardgoods. One of the emloyees sent me to Lotties to go buy wheels when I needed some. I don’t see it as “shop beef” when Lotties makes more $$$ with shit like that happening.

No one understands anything about whatever nakaren was whinging about in the first place.   If this is all about lotties warning kids not to go to place where their shit will get stolen, then this is a new low for stupidity even in skateboarding

(I’m a little bummed antihero666 isn’t taking xoflipxo’s place)

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 795
« Reply #168 on: May 23, 2021, 03:38:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
you can’t shit on an entire place & local scene because of a couple of bad apples. That’s not supporting shit.

Jfc you’re dumb as fuck.  He posted a photo of a guy that got jumped and robbed for his board and warned the locals to stay away from those parks because they aren’t safe.  His locals are a bunch of little kids and sounds like he was worried for them

Sounds like those “bad apples” might be you and your friends.  Nak already feels like it’s ok to focus people’s boards and rip shirts off their backs, maybe some of his crew thinks it’s ok to take it a step further and jack little kids boards? 

This whole LA Instagram skate scene is wack as fuck. 
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

BugleBites

• Rep: -68
« Reply #169 on: May 23, 2021, 03:44:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

Jfc you’re dumb as fuck.  He posted a photo of a guy that got jumped and robbed for his board and warned the locals to stay away from those parks because they aren’t safe.  His locals are a bunch of little kids and sounds like he was worried for them

Sounds like those “bad apples” might be you and your friends.  Nak already feels like it’s ok to focus people’s boards and rip shirts off their backs, maybe some of his crew thinks it’s ok to take it a step further and jack little kids boards? 

100%. I get the sneaking suspicion all of these new accounts that signed up to trash Lotties might very well be the bad apples that the warning was about. They're definitely just kids, as evidenced by their juvenile logic/writing.

AxionCityStars

• Rep: -28
« Reply #170 on: May 23, 2021, 03:45:04 PM »
Mike Lottie is a Gentrifier that moved his skate shop from an extremely high rent retail location in Hollywood into A historically black and brown “up and coming” neighborhood that is being rapidly gentrified.

Lee Spielman is a coked out egotistical trash bag still riding off of his association with odd future running a brand funded by one of the worst culture vultures in streetwear / skate history and trust fund kid Bobby Hundreds.

Neither of these shops belong in the neighborhood.

If you want to support a skate shop in the area doing things for all the right reasons stop by Neighbors skate shop.

Hevonen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 18
« Reply #171 on: May 23, 2021, 03:47:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

I guess I don’t get the issue.  He’s warning local kids about a sketchy situation.   What’s he supposed to do?
Yeah that seems like a completely reasonable warning. Don't really get why you'd get all pissy about it if it's true. Local scene should try to do something about those bad apples if they care about their reputation

Matthew_James

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #172 on: May 23, 2021, 04:36:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
it may not seem like it cause they aren’t flooding their Instagram with photos of little kids hanging out in their store all day but there is more of a blossoming scene surrounding babylon than there is at lotties the place is slammed with kids skating daily and it seems like they been doing diff shit every other week since they opened. I guess I’m just backing the shit cause it’s weird to hate on a place that built a bowl and said hey everyone go have fun. How the fuck can you hate on that? They don’t even sell hardgoods. One of the emloyees sent me to Lotties to go buy wheels when I needed some. I don’t see it as “shop beef” when Lotties makes more $$$ with shit like that happening.
[close]

No one understands anything about whatever nakaren was whinging about in the first place.   If this is all about lotties warning kids not to go to place where their shit will get stolen, then this is a new low for stupidity even in skateboarding

I wish I could gnar you twice for “Ol’ Ewok Face” & “Nakaren,” but life simply isn’t that fair.
At least when you're a washed-out hipster douchebag in NY, you can milk it at some decent looking, hard to skate spots. In LA you're just a tan-lined faggot in a school yard somewhere.

dilbert1

• Rep: 141
« Reply #173 on: May 23, 2021, 05:20:56 PM »

At one point I also started fantasizing about xo livening up this weak ass thread by randomly showing up to vociferously stan Babylon. The “i’m not bothered, i pity you” song and dance, coupled with nervous lol’s and the abrupt “its all love”... of course all in order to defend some boutique that needs neither said defense nor even regular clientele to remain in business. I’m sure the bowl is great, awesome they built it, doesn’t mean I can’t make fun of their “skate-adjacent” store, or that I’m a truly wicked person for doing so lol...

EDIT (for honesty): Ok ok I admit, I just hate seeing the next man get his paper up! There!!! I said it!!!!

Pete

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 715
  • Free Max B
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #174 on: May 23, 2021, 05:31:58 PM »
this kids the definition of "yeah that dudes never been punched in the face." based on the way he acts and fake thug demeanor
someone needs bring his dumbass back down to reality. hell be lucky if hes getting dlx boards flowed from Jim this time next year. kids a fuckin jcat who just happens to have been good at skating a few years ago. goin out like J3rem3 rn.

also you know hes reading this shit or atleast being sent screenshots. so expect him to make fun of "slap faggots" like he has in the past in the coming days haha. what a fucking loser,ya blew it kid.

free max b
FREE MAX B

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #175 on: May 23, 2021, 06:07:43 PM »
Slap Insta gram police holy fuckin 8 pages here.   I think people have lost sight completely of they're surroundings, they think a random event on instagram is an event in they're own life.  People on here think they're talking shit about tk just sound creepy somtimes in that thread, inventing entire backstories while T.k is outside in the sun skating a park.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Matthew_James

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #176 on: May 23, 2021, 06:12:16 PM »
this kids the definition of "yeah that dudes never been punched in the face." based on the way he acts and fake thug demeanor
someone needs bring his dumbass back down to reality. hell be lucky if hes getting dlx boards flowed from Jim this time next year. kids a fuckin jcat who just happens to have been good at skating a few years ago. goin out like J3rem3 rn.

also you know hes reading this shit or atleast being sent screenshots. so expect him to make fun of "slap faggots" like he has in the past in the coming days haha. what a fucking loser,ya blew it kid.

free max b

I’m willing to bet that “Fucklotties” is either  Nakel or a friend of his.

Not for anything, but I’m thinking that he’d have to fuck up pretty badly with Dill to stop getting FA boards and rely on Jim T’s dlx flow. He’d have to pull some Keelan Dadd shit where he clashes egos with Dill over him being bigger than FA/ demanding an ungodly amount of money. I can definitely picture him losing his Adidas contract, that seems like something that’d be up for grabs this time next year if he continues the same trajectory…
At least when you're a washed-out hipster douchebag in NY, you can milk it at some decent looking, hard to skate spots. In LA you're just a tan-lined faggot in a school yard somewhere.

Doom patrol

• Rep: 70
« Reply #177 on: May 23, 2021, 06:20:06 PM »
LA sounds weird.Hopefully all the shops in the city limits have a giant rumble like in Anchor man.

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #178 on: May 23, 2021, 06:22:11 PM »
LA sounds weird.Hopefully all the shops in the city limits have a giant rumble like in Anchor man.

Haha hell yeah

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 334
« Reply #179 on: May 23, 2021, 06:25:59 PM »
Supposedly (heard this 3rd hand) this is about one of Nak's friend going into the store, and buying a board and was expecting it to get gripped for him, and they told him they wouldn't do it. Also told another friend to leave the store when he walked in smoking a blunt (which is totally fair enough)

Gonna go against the grain here and say It's a shame Nak goes about it the way he does, I'm all for wearing your heart on your sleeve, but he just gets way too heated, because from what I have seen, he really does put on for the community, gives out boards, shoes, gear, etc. He did a lot for Caleb Barnett too when he wasn't anybody.