Author Topic: Suggestions for a cruiser setup  (Read 2534 times)

pro club blanks

Suggestions for a cruiser setup
« on: July 21, 2021, 03:11:35 PM »
Trying to throw together a cruiser setup for getting around a bit and im trying to feel out the dos and donts of cruiser setups

If any pals have any suggestions or things to avoid/watch out for it would be greatly appreciated!

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 552
Re: Suggestions for a cruiser setup
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2021, 03:16:14 PM »
The biggest "do" is soft wheels — I ride OJ Keyframes as they are soft enough to get speed and cruise while also being hard enough for when I want to pop an ollie. I also have the OJ Mini Super Juice when I just want to cruise over bad terrain.

Other that that. Board choice and trucks are what you feel comfortable on.

Check out the "Post Your Cruiser" thread for more inspiration: https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=38836.1710
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 03:35:29 PM by TastyBurrito »

theloniousmonk

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2021, 03:39:54 PM »
Key frame 87aare great, and I’ll bet the clouds (I think 86 a) are as well. Honestly, I like cruisers that are not huge and heavy. A light board that you can cruise on and still ollie. My cruiser is a 8.25 with keyframe 52s. 14” wheelbase. I just use my old setup and throw keyframes on. I’ve had cruisers with Indy 169s and a 15” wheelbase, but I like the smaller and lighter better. That’s just me.

pro club blanks

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2021, 05:40:11 PM »
Thanks! Definitely leaning to toward a leaner, meaner setup with some big ol soft wheels

That thread is bad ass btw good looking out!

As someone who never grew up rocking with cruiser setups feels like im learning about skating all over again in the best way

linzrobertson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -42
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2021, 06:25:09 PM »
I’ve had the same 78a OJs for the last 6 years or so, originally 60mm I think down to like 57, love em. Get whatever board you want, I’d pick a cool shape of course. And Indys or Ace on a cruiser for sure. Never had Ace but you want a taller truck + risers. I’m riding an 8.5 zig zagger with 139s and my OJs stick out past the truck hanger so with the smaller trucks they’re perfectly even. I guess that’s something to consider

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 586
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2021, 12:35:37 AM »
If you need a softer wheel that won’t chunk out on you, I highly recommend Ricta Clouds in 78a. I regularly do slappies n stuff while I’m cruising and haven’t had any issues. OJ (with the exception of keyframes) and Bones cruiser wheels don’t withstand a lot of abuse.

TimmyB88

• Rep: -11
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2021, 06:39:42 AM »
Anything fun shaped with Indy 159 or 169, super juice, mini super juice, thunder juice or keyframes.

Wizard0f0dds

• Rep: 72
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2021, 08:13:27 AM »
Right now mine is a Polar 1991 with Indy 169 and 56mm OJ's 87a. I like it a lot, first time setting up a cruiser and I think it's fun to mix it up a little.

JohnBolton

• Rep: -44
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2021, 08:27:22 AM »
a cruiser is not a long board so never understood the point of standard sized or big cruisers since they're clunky and annoying to carry around when you go into the store or whatever. For me a cruiser should be small, light, fast, smooth, sharp turning, still tricksable (at least easily ollie up a curb) and convenient to carry. perfect cruiser for me would be a zip zinger nano, indy 109, spitfire 80HD 54mm, obviously bones bearings, with standard grip. short wheelbase and tight turning radius on the Indy means you can use the grip of your soft wheels and slalom down a hill keeping a constant comfortable speed, instead of putting your foot down.

Omars_Dad

• Rep: 61
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2021, 10:41:38 AM »
a cruiser is not a long board so never understood the point of standard sized or big cruisers since they're clunky and annoying to carry around when you go into the store or whatever. For me a cruiser should be small, light, fast, smooth, sharp turning, still tricksable (at least easily ollie up a curb) and convenient to carry. perfect cruiser for me would be a zip zinger nano, indy 109, spitfire 80HD 54mm, obviously bones bearings, with standard grip. short wheelbase and tight turning radius on the Indy means you can use the grip of your soft wheels and slalom down a hill keeping a constant comfortable speed, instead of putting your foot down.

spitfire 80HD's are shit ass wheels. they're soft but somehow feel like they're gonna slide right out from under you

al_cvbrera

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2021, 10:48:20 AM »
whatever you do, don't put rails on a cruiser board

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2021, 10:58:26 AM »

For me the most important thing is comfortable high speed ollies. I would never feel that comfy on a zip zinger as opposed to a football/egg shape or something, which give me much more confidence at cruiser speeds.

One thing I'd recommend is built in ceramic bearings. I got the Daddies ones and I tighten the axle nut down on em. They make the nut sit perfectly flush with the axle, they are quiet (I cruise a lot at night) and they've been going two years with no cleaning in a set of OJ super juice.

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 552
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2021, 11:04:19 AM »
For me, a cruiser needs to feel stable. I'm basically a human clydesdale, so I feel squirrely on a Zip Zinger — though I think they look cool. An old school re-issue/shaped deck that's wide, short, and flat(ish) is what works for me.

I have rails on my cruiser. Then again, it also doubles as my curb board.

gaiusballz

• Rep: -5
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2021, 11:45:22 AM »
If you’re going to get 60mm wheels I second the ricta clouds 78a over anything else. Much smoother ride than the super juice in my experience. If you want to go bigger, the slimeball 66s are faster and an even smoother ride and you can get away with 1/4 risers or even 1/8 if you ride tighter trucks. OJ Thunder Juice 75 are the biggest and super fun, though if you’re looking for leaner and meaner they are def not that. I’ve got some on a zip zogger and it’s one of the setups I enjoy riding the most.

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 89
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2021, 02:01:03 PM »
Ricta coulds are great. And i use tensor maglights on mine to balance out the extra weight from bigger wheels.

pro club blanks

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2021, 02:43:15 PM »
Didnt even consider wether I would be trying to ollie fast with it
  :o
Rabbit hole just gets deeper

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2021, 05:29:31 PM »
Before saying that this is the most stupid thing I've read in a while first I need to ask why
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

SmolikHands

• Rep: -1
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2021, 06:02:50 PM »
A 7.5 board + venture los + 52mm 86a sml "coffee cruisers" yielded pretty good results.

1/8" Risers are a must.  They unlock a good turn and the setup gives you the fun feels if you are from that era.

It's like a late 90s setup repurposed as a a mini-cruiser   
« Last Edit: July 24, 2021, 08:57:59 AM by SmolikHands »

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 540
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2021, 06:48:21 PM »
+1 for the smaller cruisers. The one I’m on now is a Legend Ricky Winsor 91 shape, Indy 139s, OJ 56/87a probably Spitfire cheapshots. Would’ve got 54s but only rode Spitfire 80a before and they wear down suuuuuper fast. Or the mini Winsor I made 6 1/2 x 26, Ace 00, Spitfire 80hd 56s. 12” wb means you can just carve pump all day and turn on a dime.
I ride 9-10.25” for my regular street & trans so it’s nice to have less weight when cruising.

artskool

• Rep: 31
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2021, 06:51:57 PM »
You ain't going to ollie on this but it's seriously the most fun thing to cruise around on ever made.

https://gordonandsmith.com/collections/skateboards/products/g-s-modified-60-s-surfskate-vintage-mint

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 234
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2021, 06:55:03 PM »
One of the great things about cruisers is you get a chance to make something completely different to your ‘serious’ set-up.

For me, i want a different feel, something smooth and surfy. That can happen on any type of board, but since i already have ‘standard( boards, i like to experiment with either smaller (polarizer-style) ones, or bigger ones, like a shaped one or a longer one, like a Skull Skates Gnardog (16” wb). Set up the trucks to be surfier, and give the softer wheels a turn to grip against.

Not functional for tricks, but Crossbones are soft yet tough as fuck. Roughriders are the best cruising wheel out there, but will chunk if you even look at curbs.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Uncle Jeffrey

• Rep: 36
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2021, 06:55:09 PM »
You probably won't like mine.

9" popsicle shop deck.
Some like 7.75 trucks I always forget the brand of
Huge riser and 72ish longboard wheels.

Doesn't feel all that much bigger handling than my 8" typical setup. But I don't really Ollie or power slide.

My clutzy ass just feels squirrelly down near the 8" with range. 9" feels perfect imo.

sketchyrider

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2021, 08:36:51 PM »
I feel like you can go a few different ways with a cruiser. You can run one of those small decks with some 109s and mini juices and then you have something that's quick with turns and easy to stash somewhere. You can roll with your usual width shaped deck with some keyframes or clouds and then you got something you can pop some ollies with. Or you can go big with a 9"+ deck with some thunder juices and some half inch risers if you're trying to replace riding a bike.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 276
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2021, 06:39:41 AM »
definetely ricta clouds 78a..the "post your cruiser" thread has plenty of nice cruiser setups..

WorkinHardHardware

• Rep: 12
    • Workin' Hard Hardware Etsy Shop avatar image
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2022, 05:13:54 AM »
Got some 80s inspired shaped boards fun for a cruiser up on sale on my shop right now, peep https://www.etsy.com/shop/workinhardhardware or my insta @workinhardhardware, hand glued and pressed in Tempe, AZ  8)

MysticalTypeExperience

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2022, 05:36:29 AM »
I got some recommends for ya

Trucks - something that turns well: Ace, Indy, Thunder

Wheels - big and soft - >58mm and <95 duro

Deck - something nice and wide, depending on your foot size >8.5". Some sick brands like Heroin, Madness, Uma, Scram, Polar, Black Label, or just old reliable DLX (Antihero, krooked, real)

Bearings - I personally just always get Minilogos, if you wanna step up get some Quantums

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2022, 06:10:07 AM »
Step one: polar surf with wheel wells
Step two: 44 ace
Step three: fast as fuck bearings
Step four: some soft wheels 56mm or bigger
/thread

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

IpathCats

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2022, 06:14:16 AM »
/thread

Shrink that, and you get me

Zip Zinger
Ace 22's with 1/8 risers
OJ Super Juice
Bones swiss

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 870
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2022, 06:41:10 AM »
For a while had a zip zinger, zip zinger nano and Zig zagger all with matching thunders, and 55ish spitfire 80D wheels. Pretty much 95% of the time would take the Zig zagger out 5% the zip zinger and gave the nano away pretty much straight away.
Basically I found I'd mostly take it to go get groceries or something so I'd want more stability while skating holding bags of stuff or a case or if I'm wearing a backpack etc. Also if you're going from a to b you will inevitably end up going as fast as possible and on something small like a nano is a bit of unneeded extra stress. People love ace because of the turning etc but if you're using it for transport id actually recommend ventures. I don't remember ever having to get low and do some slalom on my way somewhere. Wheelbite on soft wheels is death.(or you will just jump off then have to chase down a board which is very annoying)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2022, 11:00:59 AM by Mean salto »

fakie varial flip

« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2022, 10:30:20 AM »
/thread

Surf Jr or the bigger surf? I've been trying to figure out whether I want the surf jr for a long time now...