Author Topic: The new old new spot—Pier 7 back in all its glory?  (Read 9262 times)

weregoingunion

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 126
Re: The new old new spot—Pier 7 back in all its glory?
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2021, 03:10:21 PM »
Expand Quote
SF should take the burnside approach and make some of these spots city sanctioned skate parks.
[close]

Totally. Has any city in California ever done that? Even Montreal made Peace Park a legal place to skate. Pier 7 doesn't look that big; the city should just make it legal to skate there.

kind of along the same lines, town park in oakland started as a diy before it was recognized by the city as a skatepark. the ledge/manny pad spot across from 3rd & army is also a space made for skating, they got the ledges with metal edges and the sides of the ledges on the bike path are knobbed. waller was started when the city dumped the old market street ledges from 16th street over to where they've been now for like the past 10 years. maybe the closest thing is 3rd & army where it remains a spot, but there's no bust despite it not being a city-sanctioned skatepark.
r.i.p. bubblegum tate
LOAF FOREVER <3

The real veganshawn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 89
  • What the fuck was that
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2021, 03:53:00 PM »
Classic spot, use to work close to there and would often skate it on my lunch break.
Cocteau Twins

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -57
  • Only YOU can prevent corporate espionage.
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2021, 10:16:50 PM »

yapple dapple

• Rep: 155
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2021, 11:58:23 PM »
Anyone trying to get the Pals meetup going soon their? I’m about an hour away from it.
That's a wonderful idea.
https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=107397.msg3125810#msg3125810
Sunday works for me. 2ish? Lets meet...

Bearings

• Rep: -4
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2021, 12:50:24 AM »
Did Koston or Guy ever hit the pier?

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2021, 01:24:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Anyone trying to get the Pals meetup going soon their? I’m about an hour away from it.
[close]
That's a wonderful idea.

For someone on the other side of the pond (who has never been to the US, too) it’s such a surreal idea to just go and skate there. Some spots like Pier 7 almost feel like I have been there. Skate videos have this unique perspective that produces a sense of proximity. Actually going there would be mindboggling.

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2021, 05:29:26 AM »
I feel as though I’ve traveled to different countries through consuming skate videos over the years.

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 473
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2021, 06:11:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
That's a wonderful idea.
[close]

For someone on the other side of the pond (who has never been to the US, too) it’s such a surreal idea to just go and skate there. Some spots like Pier 7 almost feel like I have been there. Skate videos have this unique perspective that produces a sense of proximity. Actually going there would be mindboggling.

This! I went there three years ago. The whole trip, from LA to SF, was like walking around in some weird dream - there were dozens of places I stumbled over randomly where I felt I knew them intimately even though I'd never been to these cities.

mooraga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2021, 06:47:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
That's a wonderful idea.
[close]

[close]

This! I went there three years ago. The whole trip, from LA to SF, was like walking around in some weird dream - there were dozens of places I stumbled over randomly where I felt I knew them intimately even though I'd never been to these cities.

same feeling you have cruising in Barcelona, everything its still there after all this years ready to be skated

I just saw a post of maxallure skateboards skating the pier; found amazing that in 2-3 days of the spot being "free" the ledges are already black with wax again  ;D  <3

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 443
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2021, 06:59:48 AM »
Dude what was the deconstruction / unstopping strategy there??  Seems like it would have to be allowed by the city in order for it to happen... that is one of the biggest spot liberations ever.

or maybe because of COVID there weren't any eyes on it?

This happened in the last week or so. I was in SF from July 21-25th and it was still wood planks. And there was no shortage of eyes on the piers, they were fucking packed.

Oddly enough while I was out there we rolled up on the workers knobbing the wooden bench/bank spot curtain and chico also skated a bunch.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2021, 07:53:21 AM »
Pier 7 holds a special spot in my withered old heart because of Karl Watson as well. Came from NZ worked in SD and went up to SF for a 2 week skate trip. Got to skate emb before it was smashed up . Even met a girl who worked at the hotel opposite and she took me upstairs to show me where the filmed the birds eye view of the Carroll C (nerd alert) . Went down to pier seven a few times and Karl was there. He came up and said what's up, gave me props for grinding the block . I was beaming! We talked about music a bit and I asked him who he skated to in the five flavors video.  Ween was then mentioned and I rushed of to amoeba records to buy the mollusk.  Life changing. I remember the block being so ground down and a heap of graffiti claiming Henrey Sanchez was a dick. Apparently if you got is his way there he would grab your board and throw it into the bay. GOOD times.

This Karl guy sounds like a legend! 

slappies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1231
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2021, 08:01:05 AM »

I don't recall Guy skating it, but Koston definitely has. He did a fakie bigspin manual bigspin out, it may have been in a KOTR? He may done something else too, but I don't recall off hand.
CRACK RAIDER RAZOR

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 708
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2021, 08:02:19 AM »
When I went there was just 1 guy there skating from oakland, and he blazed me some really nice weed :) thanks buddy. He was really nice I was just trying to buy some weed and he didnt want to sell me any but gladly blazed me some up for throwing 5 on it!

He took me to hubba hideout and i ollied the stairs first try, we met this little kid there called "Lil Dre" (lol i am sure its not the lil dre that is on adidas etc. did not look asian at all. apparently he is on the FTC Video "Thin Line Between Love and Haight")  they were giving me props and they were like "man you are pretty good! you could get sponsored!" lol like in Canada you have to be insane to get on anything. you wouldnt get on shit unless you are putting down like NBD flip trick down that. It is just a different world. Maybe these guys were just clown but i feel like its way easoier to get a low level sponsor to sort of get your foot in the door if you live in SF vs. some small ass town in canada. there is just no scene where im at. thats what i noticed was so much fun about going to SF theres just awlays so many people to meet skating + just shoot the shit and have a good time.

slappies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1231
« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2021, 08:11:06 AM »
When I went there was just 1 guy there skating from oakland, and he blazed me some really nice weed :) thanks buddy. He was really nice I was just trying to buy some weed and he didnt want to sell me any but gladly blazed me some up for throwing 5 on it!

He took me to hubba hideout and i ollied the stairs first try, we met this little kid there called "Lil Dre" (lol i am sure its not the lil dre that is on adidas etc. did not look asian at all. apparently he is on the FTC Video "Thin Line Between Love and Haight")  they were giving me props and they were like "man you are pretty good! you could get sponsored!" lol like in Canada you have to be insane to get on anything. you wouldnt get on shit unless you are putting down like NBD flip trick down that. It is just a different world. Maybe these guys were just clown but i feel like its way easoier to get a low level sponsor to sort of get your foot in the door if you live in SF vs. some small ass town in canada. there is just no scene where im at. thats what i noticed was so much fun about going to SF theres just awlays so many people to meet skating + just shoot the shit and have a good time.

Sorry for the detour of the topic on hand, but you're in the KW area right? I went to school there and never really found all too many skaters around (though admittedly I was more concerned with drinking and living the "college experience" than I was with skating at the time). Am I wrong, or is Bryan Wherry from there? I feel like I remember seeing a lot of him in SBC way back when and Kitchener seems to stand out in my head when I think of him.
CRACK RAIDER RAZOR

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2021, 09:52:00 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Sorry for the detour of the topic on hand, but you're in the KW area right? I went to school there and never really found all too many skaters around (though admittedly I was more concerned with drinking and living the "college experience" than I was with skating at the time). Am I wrong, or is Bryan Wherry from there? I feel like I remember seeing a lot of him in SBC way back when and Kitchener seems to stand out in my head when I think of him.

Yes Bryan is from Kitchener :) Check it out I have one of his boards on my wall from Studio:

it took me a long time to realize that there is zero scene here and that is kinda why skating got a bit stale for me from 2010-2020. i went to a mini ramp jam in Hamilton February 2019 right before Covid hit and i met this guy from ST Catherines, a similar size town to mine with good skateparks. I said like sounds like you got a pretty good thing going on there and hes like "no man. i come to hamilton cause there is zero scene there." i never really understood how important that is. i went to events here and there but i just kinda had tunnel vision and did my own thing and never really talked to people i didnt know.  I never put time into building spots / DIY etc. never did anything to help grow the scene in any way. this past year i have put lot of time into making new spots to help try and repay in hopes it will grow the scene here somewhat.

I went to SF in 2006 just to bring this back into perspective because ppl like Wherry, Darrell SMith, lots of sick skaters from my area were going there to get footage, right before the wood / knobs went on. I met people in SF skating a tiny bit but i only spent a small part of my trip skating as i was there with other friends to see a Wu Tang concert kind of thing. having a place to hang out / meet up at is so huge. the "new spot" back then was that place with those black pyramids and the balls that busenitz always skated. like that spot was cool and all but it was not great for getting footage, unless you are wherry lol. I hope they are able to keep that spot even if its just like 1 day a week like the LA Courthouse kind of thing. its really important to continue to grow skating in the area and it keeps it contained to a safe place. Then new skaters can come and be like "hey do you know any other good spots?" etc.

it is also just such a beautiful backdrop there with the ocean... the only real downside is your board can shoot onto the road and its a very busy street. if people could put up some sort of barrier that might make it a lot safer / city feel a lot better about skateboarding going on there.

mayor-quimby

• Rep: -22
« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2021, 09:59:48 AM »
Pier 7 has always been skateable in my subconscious ... it was Mecca for kids heading into the city from Marin County to skate.

We would head down there first thing, and see it all - especially mystical in the pre-internet days of the late 90s.

Yes, I'm sure as a little grom I got in Mike York's way at least once, but you have to understand - he was trying nollie flip nose manual for like 3 hours straight and he would throw his board down right off the actual pier.

GGK42069

• Rep: 4
« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2021, 11:06:19 AM »
Suciu just posted some IG clips skating it, getting it while it's hot

Johnny Lawrence

• Rep: 39
  • No Mercy
« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2021, 12:45:09 PM »

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
  • Gnar Kook
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2021, 12:52:14 PM »

I feel these should show in the thread. I don’t think I have seen anyone hit the blocks like this, over the first one, up the stairs, and over the second one.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2021, 12:59:53 PM »
thats fucked bceause i remember pushing damn near full speed at it and it being pretty hard to clear...

manysnakes

« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2021, 01:04:06 PM »
It's pretty great to skate it again it its og form.

Someone added some cones to the mix to try and steer pedestrians away from landing zone, which is a good idea. A permanent installation to control the flow would be rad. That's if the city doesn't come and just annihilate the spot EMB / Love Park style.

Given SF's (and America in general's) recent apporach to handling public spaces, I suspect that they'll go with the latter option.

GGK42069

• Rep: 4
« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2021, 01:11:57 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I feel these should show in the thread. I don’t think I have seen anyone hit the blocks like this, over the first one, up the stairs, and over the second one.

sorry, i should have, i haven't figured out how to embed yet/im lazy

notmikerusczyk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 291
« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2021, 04:23:17 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

amazing. mindblowing that was just for instagram, unless he did something harder. such a cool way to skate it that it seems odd to just post straight to the gram lol

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2021, 10:58:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
amazing. mindblowing that was just for instagram, unless he did something harder. such a cool way to skate it that it seems odd to just post straight to the gram lol

Suciu has reached an inconceivable level of confidence and consistency. I wouldn’t be surprised if there wasn’t even a filmer on this session, or if it was still warm-up. He has posted some incredible footage in his story recently, too. The street line ending on a Varial Heelflip accidentally landed to Manual (held and with spontaneous Fs Shove Out) comes to mind.

veritas

« Reply #55 on: August 05, 2021, 04:06:16 AM »
Suciu is too good. Hopefully some SF legends get some footage in there before shit changes again.

"I'd rather watch Wu Welsh skate the Pier"

jaydella

« Reply #56 on: August 05, 2021, 04:23:06 AM »
I skated there a lot in 2000-2001. I wish I could be there to skate it now in case it gets skate stopped, cut up or completely demolished. Classic spot.

Genericwhitemale

« Reply #57 on: August 05, 2021, 05:24:14 AM »
Maybe the Olympics are to thank for reopening this spot

Sidewalk Funk.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
« Reply #58 on: August 05, 2021, 05:33:32 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I don't recall Guy skating it, but Koston definitely has. He did a fakie bigspin manual bigspin out, it may have been in a KOTR? He may done something else too, but I don't recall off hand.

54:46

Love that this spot has been brought back even if it lasts just for a short time. Skated there a couple times in 1997 and remember thinking that the spot was a lot smaller than I anticipated.

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #59 on: August 05, 2021, 06:48:12 AM »
Skated there a couple times in 1997 and remember thinking that the spot was a lot smaller than I anticipated.

Thought the same when watching the Suciu long lens shot, second clip in the post linked above. Looks tiny from that perspective. Looks different from what was presented in the 411 spot check, however. Some blocks on the street side got removed?