Author Topic: Daan on homophobia  (Read 65984 times)

butterballs for jerry

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -56
Re: Daan on homophobia
« Reply #510 on: August 11, 2021, 08:08:28 AM »
So what level of protest should I be taking here?

I have some formula 4's, should I throw those away? I don't buy nike's so that's good. Should I never watch an AntiHero video again? Is all of Deluxe off of the table forever? But I want to support Bobby Worrest. Am I not allowed to do that now?

Am I allowed to go to Belgium? Or would that make me a horrible bigot for supporting the country he's from?

Am I a nazi fascist for even asking these questions? I'm sorry, a homophobe too?

I want to be on the right side of history, please tell me what to do so that I can be as morally correct as possible.
I was standing staring at the world, and I still can't see it

backside_reacharound

• Rep: -239
« Reply #511 on: August 11, 2021, 08:08:56 AM »
It's been 5 days has the teaching moment been at least acknowledged by his sponsors

Switched back to my soggy Visit board and put the Ishod away till I hear something from DLX and Daan

My There board has not been shipped yet but they're on Bay time

#boycottDLX

lol, did you stop using any form of fossil fuel after the deepwater horizon spill? i bet not

fongool

• Rep: 94
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #512 on: August 11, 2021, 08:23:50 AM »

I have some formula 4's, should I throw those away? I don't buy nike's so that's good. Should I never watch an AntiHero video again? Is all of Deluxe off of the table forever? But I want to support Bobby Worrest. Am I not allowed to do that now?

Am I allowed to go to Belgium? Or would that make me a horrible bigot for supporting the country he's from?

Am I a nazi fascist for even asking these questions? I'm sorry, a homophobe too?

I want to be on the right side of history, please tell me what to do so that I can be as morally correct as possible.

no need to do any of that -- just get one of these for your crib and you'll be good to go:

Double Thick Filbert

• Rep: -56
« Reply #513 on: August 11, 2021, 08:31:41 AM »
The whole Northern Hemisphere is cancelled

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1573
« Reply #514 on: August 11, 2021, 08:40:37 AM »

Imagine being unable to come to your own conclusions

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1390
« Reply #515 on: August 11, 2021, 08:42:53 AM »

What does the holy spirit tell you?

Mariatorresflores

• Rep: -94
« Reply #516 on: August 11, 2021, 08:55:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Beyond most people criticizing him for posting that meme, and a handful of people saying they won't be buying his deck, what other "levels" of "hate" were expressed here? And by how many people?
[close]

Expand Quote
I've deleted a bunch of posts quoting a blatantly transphobic post. Instead of replying to these posts, please just report them.
[close]

I know of at least 1 other post thats been edited or removed in which someone threatened Dan with violence. Kind of hard to keep track of how much hateful rhetoric you've actually been able to stir up when you keep deleting them. Skews things in your favor.

[close]

If you were really concerned about me stirring up hateful rhetoric by deleting posts (whatever that means), you would have complained to the admin. But you're not, so you won't.

You sure know how to skew fairly simple statements into whatever you want huh? To recap:

You acknowledged deleting hateful posts earlier in this thread only to later claim another poster's being disingenuous by saying these threads are nothing more than non-constructive hate mongering which they are.

I don't give a fuck what you post, I've never even thought of whoever's the "admin" was/is of slap, why would I? I just find it odd that someone as petty and antagonistic as you has been entrusted with any authority over others; even this limited virtual amount.

I guess it boils down to this; if slap threads like this largely end up with liberals arguing with other liberals what do you think people on the fence on the issue (or conservatives) take away from it? How does it help bring about any positive change? It isn't constructive, it's actually deconstructive within our own community.

If we can't generally agree on what's a reasonable response to situations like this then how can we expect to educate, convert others? You're pushing away like minds, do you even want to help change minds?

Anyway, I hate I got baited back to this stinker again but I'm out. Having 8 posts in this circus is embarrassing enough. You can go back to your echo chamber to huff your own farts now.

blurst_of_times

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 825
    • Skateboarding Magazine Scans avatar image
« Reply #517 on: August 11, 2021, 09:04:33 AM »

Do whatever the hell you want to do because that's what you're going to do anyways.
There was no wire. Clark's planet needed him.
 Note: Clark Hassler died on the way back to his home planet.

blurst_of_times

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 825
    • Skateboarding Magazine Scans avatar image
« Reply #518 on: August 11, 2021, 09:08:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Beyond most people criticizing him for posting that meme, and a handful of people saying they won't be buying his deck, what other "levels" of "hate" were expressed here? And by how many people?
[close]

Expand Quote
I've deleted a bunch of posts quoting a blatantly transphobic post. Instead of replying to these posts, please just report them.
[close]

I know of at least 1 other post thats been edited or removed in which someone threatened Dan with violence. Kind of hard to keep track of how much hateful rhetoric you've actually been able to stir up when you keep deleting them. Skews things in your favor.

[close]

If you were really concerned about me stirring up hateful rhetoric by deleting posts (whatever that means), you would have complained to the admin. But you're not, so you won't.
[close]

You sure know how to skew fairly simple statements into whatever you want huh? To recap:

You acknowledged deleting hateful posts earlier in this thread only to later claim another poster's being disingenuous by saying these threads are nothing more than non-constructive hate mongering which they are.

I don't give a fuck what you post, I've never even thought of whoever's the "admin" was/is of slap, why would I? I just find it odd that someone as petty and antagonistic as you has been entrusted with any authority over others; even this limited virtual amount.

I guess it boils down to this; if slap threads like this largely end up with liberals arguing with other liberals what do you think people on the fence on the issue (or conservatives) take away from it? How does it help bring about any positive change? It isn't constructive, it's actually deconstructive within our own community.

If we can't generally agree on what's a reasonable response to situations like this then how can we expect to educate, convert others? You're pushing away like minds, do you even want to help change minds?

Anyway, I hate I got baited back to this stinker again but I'm out. Having 8 posts in this circus is embarrassing enough. You can go back to your echo chamber to huff your own farts now.
Do you know what else is deconstructive within our own community? Posting homophobic images on your pro skateboarder social media platform.
There was no wire. Clark's planet needed him.
 Note: Clark Hassler died on the way back to his home planet.

JamesFardy

• Rep: 69
    • Gyfcat.com avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #519 on: August 11, 2021, 09:09:49 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Do whatever the hell you want to do because that's what you're going to do anyways.

I agree.

banksandledges

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 208
« Reply #520 on: August 11, 2021, 09:10:51 AM »
Daan of 18 and Nike

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -767
« Reply #521 on: August 11, 2021, 09:11:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
Do you know what else is deconstructive within our own community? Posting homophobic images on your pro skateboarder social media platform.

We all agree posting homophobic images on your pro skateboarder social media platform is deconstructive.

That's not what his post was addressing.

I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

lemonchicken91

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 242
« Reply #522 on: August 11, 2021, 09:13:57 AM »
no, i live in an efficiency by myself and work in middle management like you, loser

Mariatorresflores

• Rep: -94
« Reply #523 on: August 11, 2021, 09:14:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

came back to say thanks, you just illustrated my point. To you and your ilk 2 wrongs make a right. I get it now.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1573
« Reply #524 on: August 11, 2021, 09:50:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I will try my best and give you a constructive reply, I think there is the groupthink you're scared of and then there's common sense. Someone's homosexuality shouldn't even be a political issue, now if someone really is concerned or alarmed about the phenomenon in any way that they demonize it into a potential social threat then it's up to them to research and debate those specific points in particular within the right circles and learn instead of fighting a global war against uncertainties. Homosexuality makes zero noise until someone else complains about it, just crystallizing it as a topic denotes its weight of stigma regardless of one's political inclinations and so it shouldn't be recuperated by either 'liberals' or 'conservatives'. Otherwise it's similar to when people conflate free speech with the absolute right to inconsequentially be an asshole or proudly wear their ignorance on this or that subject, when free speech actually means that you take the full responsibility when other people also exert their right to put you back into your place when need be. Now in Daan's case, stigmatizing homosexuality in front of tens of thousands of his fans (which definitely comprises, or used to comprise people from that community too) is something he just didn't need to do as a responsible adult and professional skater, and as weak as the meme form may look it's still a basic statement that's enough for a certain number people to want to disconnect with him and there isn't anything anyone can do about that. It's something that's naturally happening and the idea that people on SLAP are out to downright cancel folks when most everyone really are just expressing disappointment every time in such threads (until some others take offense at that for whichever reason might concern them, and pages blew up with back-and-forth) is a construction I'm sure is really handy by some to maintain to make sure their personal stakes don't get too challenged.

GauchoAmigo

• Rep: 68
« Reply #525 on: August 11, 2021, 10:09:56 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

no need to do any of that -- just get one of these for your crib and you'll be good to go:

Hell yes Brad Troemel

George Cantstandya

• Rep: -5
« Reply #526 on: August 11, 2021, 10:11:51 AM »
Would be funny if dudes would send photos of Daan with their jizz on it to him. Ask him if that's gay propaganda.

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 107
« Reply #527 on: August 11, 2021, 10:20:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

We all agree posting homophobic images on your pro skateboarder social media platform is deconstructive.

That's not what his post was addressing.

His post doesn't really address anything, he doesn't have a point to make aside from 'just ignore it and it'll go away' basically and other broad generalizations. "If we can't agree how are we going to change others?!?" isn't the profound, helpful statement you think it is and you're not offering up anything in return either, just lamenting that people are criticizing Daan and trying to hold him to task.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2532
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #528 on: August 11, 2021, 10:29:24 AM »

Um, I deleted a transphobic post (clearly aimed at people criticizing Daan) and all the other posts that quoted it. The latter were disagreeing with the former, but there was no reason to have that initial post remain visible in these other posts. However, If you think that deleting transphobic messages stirs up hate, then you're in the wrong place. There is no room here for bothsidesism when it comes to these topics. There is no benefit to discussing whether anti-LGBTQ talking points have merit. If that doesn't make sense to you, look up Popper's paradox of tolerance.

I really do get the sense that standing up for these vulnerable groups rubs you the wrong way, even on a minute scale such as this thread. Perhaps you'd be more at home on Parler or Gab?

Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

Hands down Hass out

• Rep: 4
  • 奇妙な滞在
« Reply #529 on: August 11, 2021, 10:36:28 AM »

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #530 on: August 11, 2021, 10:58:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

It's something that's naturally happening and the idea that people on SLAP are out to downright cancel folks when most everyone really are just expressing disappointment every time in such threads (until some others take offense at that for whichever reason might concern them, and pages blew up with back-and-forth) is a construction I'm sure is really handy by some to maintain to make sure their personal stakes don't get too challenged.

This is exactly what is happening in this thread. It would die off with most of us being disappointed in him if people didn't come in here wanting to argue about there being consequences for things people say. We're not leading some witch hunt, there's just a critical mass of people who don't think saying something like that is socially acceptable anymore and as a result there are consequences.

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
  • Gnar Kook
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #531 on: August 11, 2021, 11:04:49 AM »

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -273
« Reply #532 on: August 11, 2021, 01:19:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Fuck, social media is stupid. Who gives a shit what Daan’s views on anything regarding politics or social issues are he’s just some drunk who rides a wooden toy for a living. No one is following him for political commentary and even though I agree he’s a dumbass and possibly a homophobe, why do dlx need to say anything, and what good is talking shit on a message board gonna do. He probably doesn’t even realise he’s homophobic
[close]

I agree with everything here. And as someone who has posted here for over ten years, cancel culture and the dweebs on here these days has just about broken me.
[close]
Aren't you the poster who would sometimes irrationally blow up on @GAY when he was posting regularly?

I’ve called him out for being unfunny a few times, him being Gay has nothing to do with it.

Is this ok? Am I a homophobe?

LPQwannabe

• Rep: 0
« Reply #533 on: August 11, 2021, 02:10:23 PM »
Deluxe gave Daan the boot, the following day.

LonleySk8er15

• Rep: 42
« Reply #534 on: August 11, 2021, 02:38:47 PM »
post a link pic or quote then wannabe

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2275
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #535 on: August 11, 2021, 03:03:29 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
post a link pic or quote then wannabe
Yeah... Absent some documentation to verify your claim, I'm going to have to declare this shoddy work and invoke my time honored right to break out the old "hash tag of condemnation."

#NotMyLPQ

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

ihatejulio

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1126
« Reply #536 on: August 11, 2021, 03:50:06 PM »

Good news!

I just got back from the gay agenda meeting held every Wednesday and we all unanimously agreed to let you off the hook this time.

Don't hesitate to reach out if you imagine up any other exaggerated ultimatums of what queer people realistically demand from the skate industry and I will be sure to run that by the council for you. Hugs and kisses.

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #537 on: August 11, 2021, 04:00:11 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Good news!

I just got back from the gay agenda meeting held every Wednesday and we all unanimously agreed to let you off the hook this time.

Don't hesitate to reach out if you imagine up any other exaggerated ultimatums of what queer people realistically demand from the skate industry and I will be sure to run that by the council for you. Hugs and kisses.

Hey i couldn't get into the meeting because I'm not gay, but do you know if they addressed my request to get more money for my posts here? I've been grinding it out and hoped the council would look favorably on me

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1363
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #538 on: August 11, 2021, 04:24:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Good news!

[close]

Hey i couldn't get into the meeting because I'm not gay, but do you know if they addressed my request to get more money for my posts here? I've been grinding it out and hoped the council would look favorably on me
C'mon man it's $2 for every 10 posts just like the rest of us. You're gonna mess up the whole paid poster economy!
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #539 on: August 11, 2021, 04:34:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Good news!

[close]

[close]
C'mon man it's $2 for every 10 posts just like the rest of us. You're gonna mess up the whole paid poster economy!

I don't know man, i think I'm bringing some high value posts here and $1 a post is not too steep a rate