Author Topic: Daan on homophobia  (Read 65405 times)

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
Re: Daan on homophobia
« Reply #630 on: August 13, 2021, 03:16:34 PM »
❤️ @Nicky Tamzarian

Even if this is just a silly little skate forum, it's OUR silly skate forum and we get to decide what it's like, and if i have anything to do about it I'm gonna make sure that it's as welcoming as possible for LGBTQ pals.

Banging in the Slammer

« Reply #631 on: August 13, 2021, 03:20:33 PM »

The problem is sadly that if you're cis & straight your life is constructed to annihilate us. If you are cis & straight you are a homophobe, a transphobe, etc. It does not make a difference if you agree. It does not make a difference if you express it in private or in public. You are a proponent of the world that wants us dead, regardless of how you conduct your life. Yes it is bleak. But for us, it's the base-level of life. If we could change it, we would. But that power does not lie in our hands. It is up to you to be an anti-homophobe, an anti-transphobe, or to be what this world determines you to be.

Can you explain yourself further? Because this shit reads like Highlander but with sexual orientations, some real “us vs them” vibes. There can only be one!

I personally don’t get down with that mentality as a gay dude. Say for instance a straight dude is dating a trans chick. They’re a straight couple. Why would you think they want to murder you? Not to mention the straight Supreme court justices and straight allies who voted in favor of legalizing gay marriage and the straight allies who made it all possible. We wouldn’t be anywhere without them. It’s like you don’t believe straight people are capable of empathy. Sorry you feel like this, it must be a sad outlook on life  :(

l1ll1ll1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 56
« Reply #632 on: August 13, 2021, 03:52:42 PM »
I've been hoping to weigh in for the past week but I still can't find the words. I know, big whoop, most of you hate my commentary anyway. Most of you prefer to make empty jokes about things and forget it. Being aloof can be pleasant. But you can't be aloof about shit that threatens you for your life.

I'm just gonna try. Let me start by saying a disclaimer. This shit stresses me out & I will not succeed in eloquence or brevity. I am not wise. I'm just emotional. I wish I could put all of this better, but there are many more who will top my efforts. For that I am redeemed. Alright, onward.

The problem isn't what is or is not homophobic; it's not what people can and can't say on their social media; it's also not how messy comment sections can get. Those are all red herrings. Most of the time the topic shifts to the theory of homophobia, whether people have the right to do what they please on Instagram, and whether blowback defeats the purpose of apology. All of these are diversions.

Every time a pro exposes their otherwise implicit disgust for trans & queer people, we're gonna run into this same mess. We as an audience are generally more concerned with the spectacle, and skate companies as businesses are definitively more concerned with covering their assets.

So what is the problem.

The problem is that it's natural for cis & straight people not to care, not to be concerned with the livelihood of trans & queer people. What you see as homophobic or even appropriate behavior doesn't matter to us, and I hate to be blunt. At the end of the day you don't care. You will never have to care & therefore you will never care. It's natural for you to conserve your energy. But your perspective does not affect how shitty life is for each of us. Whether you get it or not, we're still going to suffer every day. The world outside our own community has yet to realize that we need shit to change. We do not need to be understood. We do not need to be appreciated. We need shit to change. The world has been constructed around ideas that we do not accept. The world has been constructed around us either not existing, or being snuffed at the first sign of life. We will always be misunderstood & people will always dislike us. We don't care. We do not have permission, but we do not need permission. We do not need to be liked. We need to be able to live past our youth. We need to know that we'll be able to see doctors when we are sick. We need to know that we can meet new people or go on dates with our significant others or even go into the public and not be murdered. We need to know that we can be approved for social services. We need to know that we can be approved for work. We need to know that we can be approved for housing. We need to know that our families wont jettison us and leave us for dead in cities that push us onto the street without anywhere to go but into sex work with men who will murder us for their own shame. We need to know that our governments won't center legislation around declaring us criminal, inhuman or non-existent. We need to know that we can be safe coming out & not force ourselves to live miserably & closeted. We need to know that it's better to not commit suicide. For most of us that's the only opportunity with promise.

The problem is sadly that if you're cis & straight your life is constructed to annihilate us. If you are cis & straight you are a homophobe, a transphobe, etc. It does not make a difference if you agree. It does not make a difference if you express it in private or in public. You are a proponent of the world that wants us dead, regardless of how you conduct your life. Yes it is bleak. But for us, it's the base-level of life. If we could change it, we would. But that power does not lie in our hands. It is up to you to be an anti-homophobe, an anti-transphobe, or to be what this world determines you to be.

Thanks for bearing with me. I know this is a lot. Many of you care for me deeply and I appreciate you all, so very much. Many of you dislike me and that's not my problem. Please know that trolling me would be a waste of your time, not mine. Yes I spent a lot of time typing this up, and it was not a second that I wasted. I feel lovely.

Pin this and shut this thread down. Enough said. F*** Daan and listen to the community.

mushroom slice

« Reply #633 on: August 13, 2021, 04:18:13 PM »
Do you ever trip out and think about how we are all the same thing? The textures of reality?
The dharmapadda says we are the result of everything we have ever thought.
Our experience in our life in space time in the world of matter is a lesson  on how to create. How to become god.it’s a hard lesson and takes many lives. Reincarnation isn’t about our singular lives it’s about how we learn to create. We are all the same thing. Reincarnated  in different bodies at different points in space time but the same thing. When you forget this you have found the boundaries of your existence. Before your memory there is nothing. A blank slate. The void

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 717
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #634 on: August 13, 2021, 11:45:41 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Can you explain yourself further? Because this shit reads like Highlander but with sexual orientations, some real “us vs them” vibes. There can only be one!

I personally don’t get down with that mentality as a gay dude. Say for instance a straight dude is dating a trans chick. They’re a straight couple. Why would you think they want to murder you? Not to mention the straight Supreme court justices and straight allies who voted in favor of legalizing gay marriage and the straight allies who made it all possible. We wouldn’t be anywhere without them. It’s like you don’t believe straight people are capable of empathy. Sorry you feel like this, it must be a sad outlook on life  :(

I believe what Nicky is saying is that it is not enough to not be homophobic or transphobic. Allyship is not just voting for the legalization of gay marriage. It’s not being pro toleration, for lack of a better word. It’s being anti homophobic/transphobic.

Trans people, for instance, have a life expectancy of about 30 years. That’s due to a lot of factors, but I’d really imagine it comes down to coming out as trans puts a fucking target on your back.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

Ric Leonetti

• Rep: 20
  • Sorry if my name offends you
« Reply #635 on: August 14, 2021, 01:51:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I believe what Nicky is saying is that it is not enough to not be homophobic or transphobic. Allyship is not just voting for the legalization of gay marriage. It’s not being pro toleration, for lack of a better word. It’s being anti homophobic/transphobic.

Trans people, for instance, have a life expectancy of about 30 years. That’s due to a lot of factors, but I’d really imagine it comes down to coming out as trans puts a fucking target on your back.

I was struggling to understand what Nicky said, but knew Allen will chime in so I wasn’t worried
The Man From The Place Of Clay

Banging in the Slammer

« Reply #636 on: August 14, 2021, 02:31:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Ah, okay, that’s understandable. Thank you for the clarification! I know a couple trans people, I noticed their happiness/success is based on how well they blend in the general population. What a hard way to go through life

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #637 on: August 14, 2021, 04:07:53 AM »
Fuck the mods
Consensually? Idk man, seems kinda “gay”

Lord Viper Scorpion

« Reply #638 on: August 26, 2021, 08:11:26 PM »
i saw i still had a link to daans insta and cliked and saw a rainbow flag - wuddup

shpongle

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 212
  • love everyOne and tell the truth

MaXX_I-D

« Reply #640 on: September 20, 2021, 11:52:15 AM »
Expand Quote

LOL!
I hate that you brought this thread back up, but I did miss that meme so thank you.

Grind King Rims

« Reply #641 on: December 28, 2021, 11:51:23 AM »
Hey I'm not reading this whole thread, but is he of nike because of this?

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 768
« Reply #642 on: December 28, 2021, 12:11:59 PM »

doesn’t seem like it. still on the team page (but alex olson is on there too and supposedly he’s of?), they’re still selling his shoe, nike follows him
on ig etc etc
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

Grind King Rims

« Reply #643 on: December 28, 2021, 12:51:45 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

doesn’t seem like it. still on the team page (but alex olson is on there too and supposedly he’s of?), they’re still selling his shoe, nike follows him
on ig etc etc

Thanks for the response.

krooked-l

• Rep: 0
« Reply #644 on: March 28, 2022, 09:07:19 AM »
Is he still on AH? He doesn't have a board in the spring 22 drop.

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #645 on: March 28, 2022, 11:22:08 AM »

He's probably still on, it doesn't make sense to me that they would wait this long after his meme debacle to cut him. He probably got passed up on this drop and will get 2 in the next one or some shit.

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

SchizophrenicFatBoy

« Reply #646 on: March 28, 2022, 05:26:55 PM »
Damn, I wish I saw this thread before, so I wouldn't have bought his Nike colorway. Those shoes were tight around the toes and gave me heel slip.

skunty

• Rep: 73
« Reply #647 on: June 27, 2022, 07:36:48 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

He's probably still on, it doesn't make sense to me that they would wait this long after his meme debacle to cut him. He probably got passed up on this drop and will get 2 in the next one or some shit.

Daan has a new board in the AH Broadcasting series, also a shirt with the board graphic on it

cky enthusiast

« Reply #648 on: June 27, 2022, 07:44:27 AM »
fuck dude

Slikk

• Rep: -33
  • im proper
« Reply #649 on: June 27, 2022, 08:03:51 AM »
fuck dude

yea thats what he against

slikk slikk

doublesteveburger

« Reply #650 on: June 27, 2022, 08:06:00 AM »
finally, thank you

steve steve

$$LESH

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Rep: 164
« Reply #651 on: June 27, 2022, 08:16:51 AM »

skunty

« Reply #652 on: June 27, 2022, 08:24:52 AM »
is deluxe cancelled now or does everyone who prematurely danced on daan's grave self reflect?

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
« Reply #653 on: June 27, 2022, 08:32:09 AM »
is deluxe cancelled now or does everyone who prematurely danced on daan's grave self reflect?

Canceled and closing up shop. Hit up the "Sale Gear Thread" in Shoes & Gear for bargain bin prices you sigma king. Nuance is dead, and thank God you're here to tell us how to feel.
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

skunty

« Reply #654 on: June 27, 2022, 08:53:43 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Canceled and closing up shop. Hit up the "Sale Gear Thread" in Shoes & Gear for bargain bin prices you sigma king. Nuance is dead, and thank God you're here to tell us how to feel.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3329
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #655 on: June 28, 2022, 09:18:20 AM »

IpathCats

« Reply #656 on: June 28, 2022, 09:25:26 AM »

Spectre

• Rep: -40
« Reply #657 on: June 28, 2022, 09:26:03 AM »
Expand Quote
I miss @GAY  :'(
[close]

*wink*

Suprised nobody made a thread "is GAY still alive?"
Been a long time since we've seen you post.

$$LESH

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Rep: 164
« Reply #658 on: June 28, 2022, 09:30:00 AM »

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
« Reply #659 on: June 28, 2022, 10:03:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I miss @GAY  :'(
[close]

*wink*
[close]

Suprised nobody made a thread "is GAY still alive?"
Been a long time since we've seen you post.

We respect gay privacy