Author Topic: The Thunder Thread  (Read 130635 times)

LebowskisRug

Re: The Thunder Thread
« Reply #180 on: November 27, 2021, 08:08:48 AM »
 I have rounded baseplates on my Thunders from slides and rode 52-53mm wheels. With the same wheels as on Indys I don’t notice as much as one might think, but I also really lean onto the tips when sliding.

tuesday

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 280
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #181 on: November 27, 2021, 12:17:26 PM »

Does anyone remember when Destructo brought out "Rail killers" which were just a normal truck with a longer part at the front, which was supposed to help with slides...

Anyone?

No?

I had a set of rail killers and liked them very much. The pointed/rounded front of the baseplate resultet in more or less a single point of contact for noseslides instead of the holde plane of the baseplate having contact.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #182 on: November 28, 2021, 02:38:12 AM »
Expand Quote

Does anyone remember when Destructo brought out "Rail killers" which were just a normal truck with a longer part at the front, which was supposed to help with slides...

[close]

I had a set of rail killers and liked them very much. The pointed/rounded front of the baseplate resulted in more or less a single point of contact for nose slides instead of the whole plane of the baseplate having contact.

They definitely sat out and as you said, had minimal contact, which worked really well for people who got used to them, but I think for the most part, the people who had them and didn't quite know how to use them well ended up more often than not slipping out, as they were much more prone to going on an angle, rather than sliding straight on, if that makes sense.

One guy in particular said they were best when worn down a lot, but most of the others who had them, be it team riders or customers didn't really understand / get them.

They would often swap over their old normal baseplates with new hangers, more so than skate the rail killers baseplates, or only put them on the front, not both.

Funny old world we live in.

That is cool that at least someone found they worked well.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 706
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #183 on: November 28, 2021, 03:32:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

I had a set of rail killers and liked them very much. The pointed/rounded front of the baseplate resulted in more or less a single point of contact for nose slides instead of the whole plane of the baseplate having contact.
[close]

They definitely sat out and as you said, had minimal contact, which worked really well for people who got used to them, but I think for the most part, the people who had them and didn't quite know how to use them well ended up more often than not slipping out, as they were much more prone to going on an angle, rather than sliding straight on, if that makes sense.

One guy in particular said they were best when worn down a lot, but most of the others who had them, be it team riders or customers didn't really understand / get them.

They would often swap over their old normal baseplates with new hangers, more so than skate the rail killers baseplates, or only put them on the front, not both.

Funny old world we live in.

That is cool that at least someone found they worked well.

Yeah the rounded baseplate is a dumb design decision imo. It’s harder to keep the slide going straight/parallel to the ledge and the chances to hit the wheels and suddenly stop are pretty high. A straight baseplate is much better to keep a consistent slide. It hits flush and wouldn’t wobble as much.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

CaderSk8r

• Rep: 19
« Reply #184 on: December 01, 2021, 03:15:13 PM »
Any tips to keeping a krux dlk from getting loose, just picked up some new 149s with the new basplates and the nut fits in perfectly but there is still some wiggle in the kingpin.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #185 on: December 01, 2021, 03:19:13 PM »
I have kingpin wiggle in all my trucks (Indy, Thunder and Ace) with or without the Krux DL KP. At this point I have stopped worrying about it.

Argyle

• Rep: 38
« Reply #186 on: December 02, 2021, 03:09:41 PM »
Finally settled on something i think.

Put some bones mediums in after seeing it on here (always thought they didn't work with thunders) and the first couple of sessions have been brilliant, so thanks to whoever that was.

Thunder 149s
Bones mediums
Risers
54 or 55mm wheels

Honestly I think I've gone mad. Cannot post a photo lately to save my life. Link below though:

https://ibb.co/XW3dDYZ

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #187 on: December 02, 2021, 04:58:05 PM »

Put some bones mediums in after seeing it on here (always thought they didn't work with thunders) and the first couple of sessions have been brilliant, so thanks to whoever that was.

Thunder 149s
Bones mediums
Risers
54 or 55mm wheels

Link below though:

Fixed it for you.

That sticker is pretty cool as well.  Did you get that from somewhere or make it yourself?

Argyle

• Rep: 38
« Reply #188 on: December 02, 2021, 11:41:28 PM »
Expand Quote

Thunder 149s
Bones mediums
Risers
54 or 55mm wheels

Link below though:

[close]

Fixed it for you.

That sticker is pretty cool as well.  Did you get that from somewhere or make it yourself?

Cheers, it's from a brand called alcohol blanket. It's Ollie Lock from skate cafés stuff https://www.alcoholblanket.co.uk/products

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #189 on: December 07, 2021, 05:51:52 AM »
Does anyone have a list of risers that work with thunders? I don't need them but am curious. I know they would probably fit well but I'm not too interested in the wooden ones from deluxe. something quite thin is what i'm looking for.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 978
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #190 on: December 07, 2021, 06:44:20 AM »
Does anyone have a list of risers that work with thunders? I don't need them but am curious. I know they would probably fit well but I'm not too interested in the wooden ones from deluxe. something quite thin is what i'm looking for.

1/8” dlx risers are as thing as you’ll get.

1/16 would be perfect but no one makes them. Almost had some made but didn’t want to deal with the madness.

Dan Gerous

« Reply #191 on: December 07, 2021, 06:48:41 AM »
Ace makes 1/16" risers... they're shock pads though, not 100% rigid, but you can easily cut them so they wont stick out from a Thunder basplate.

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1427
« Reply #192 on: December 07, 2021, 07:05:54 AM »
You can make risers out of basically anything (soda bottles, plastic sheets, etc... Measure the dimensions of your baseplates, trace it onto your material, cut it out and drill it. The best part is they're free and you can dictate the height.

I did it with a 1.5mm carbon fiber sheet:

i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #193 on: December 07, 2021, 07:07:51 AM »
Ace makes 1/16" risers... they're shock pads though, not 100% rigid, but you can easily cut them so they wont stick out from a Thunder basplate.

Not a fan of shock pads, deadening the feel of board isn’t for me. I have used them on a cruiser tho, works great.

Dan Gerous

« Reply #194 on: December 07, 2021, 07:16:14 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Not a fan of shock pads, deadening the feel of board isn’t for me. I have used them on a cruiser tho, works great.

Yeah I wouldn't use them either... PuffinMuffin's DIY solution is good if you really want thinner risers though, pretty easy to do.

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #195 on: December 07, 2021, 08:05:46 AM »
Thanks everyone for the replies. I hadn't thought of puffin's idea before but that might be perfect if I find the right material. If not maybe the shock pads from ace, We'll see.

NowhereInLife

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 20
« Reply #196 on: December 08, 2021, 02:16:39 AM »
i hand sanded about a millimeter off of some bones ones to bring some 147s up just a smidge.  it was a nightmare...but the resulting hard thin riser is pretty great.  took me the better part of an hour of awkward sanding but if you have a belt sander or something you could prob do it in minutes.  they are like 3/32".

Lo-fi Explosion

• Rep: 7
« Reply #197 on: December 08, 2021, 03:18:35 AM »
Shortys makes hard 1/16 riser pads, got them on my aces. they're called dooks 1/16, just make sure it's not the silencers nor the shock pads...
« Last Edit: December 08, 2021, 06:36:46 AM by Lo-fi Explosion »

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
« Reply #198 on: December 10, 2021, 11:04:12 AM »

0:45
The clearance on those inverse kingpin thunders looks incredible. Do you guys think they just didn't work well enough and they stopped trying?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #199 on: December 10, 2021, 03:04:24 PM »

The clearance on those inverse kingpin thunders looks incredible. Do you guys think they just didn't work well enough and they stopped trying?

That was interesting to see, especially as he said they were testing it, not just his own fix or modification.

Given it was from mid 2020, I think they would have had something out by now, but who knows.

Apart from the exceptional clearance, I can see the top head sinking into the top washer / bushing area all too easily, so that might be why it was not really thought to be viable.

I always take some screen shots of things like that, which are way easier to see when blown up like these:

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 516
« Reply #200 on: December 10, 2021, 03:14:42 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That was interesting to see, especially as he said they were testing it, not just his own fix or modification.

Given it was from mid 2020, I think they would have had something out by now, but who knows.

Apart from the exceptional clearance, I can see the top head sinking into the top washer / bushing area all too easily, so that might be why it was not really thought to be viable.

I always take some screen shots of things like that, which are way easier to see when blown up like these:

They tried a few thunder iterations for a while. My friend who used to work at dlx was skating some inverted kingpin thunders (which looked different to these, more like the indy mids) in early 2019. A few months ago he told me that they had one prototype with an inverted kingpin, more extended and rounded out baseplate that turned a little less twitchy. Apparently everyone who tried it liked it but for whatever reason seems like none of these things have made it to production.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #201 on: December 10, 2021, 04:25:59 PM »

They tried a few thunder iterations for a while. My friend who used to work at dlx was skating some inverted kingpin thunders (which looked different to these, more like the indy mids) in early 2019. A few months ago he told me that they had one prototype with an inverted kingpin, more extended and rounded out baseplate that turned a little less twitchy. Apparently everyone who tried it liked it but for whatever reason seems like none of these things have made it to production.

That sounds ideal.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
« Reply #202 on: December 10, 2021, 06:51:00 PM »

Bones/Mini Logo are my go-tos.

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #203 on: December 10, 2021, 10:11:26 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That sounds ideal.

You just described the new Royals.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #204 on: December 11, 2021, 04:20:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

That sounds ideal.
[close]

You just described the new Royals.

https://tenor.com/TOfp.gif

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #205 on: December 12, 2021, 07:56:57 AM »
I think skate one/Powell has the rubber ones which I used.  I could see how changing the truck would be crazy expensive.....sucks they didn't do it. 

LebowskisRug

« Reply #206 on: December 12, 2021, 10:19:43 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Apparently these are how the new Royals are described

That sounds ideal.

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 976
  • the moon rules
« Reply #207 on: December 12, 2021, 09:59:08 PM »

After a year and a half detour skating ACE’s I’m back on the right path. Thunders just work the best for me and how I skate. The hanger is wider and they’re lighter when you compare similar sized trucks from each brand. I prefer the sharp turn, too. I put the 90a rebuild kit bushings in and took off the bottom washer. Perfect. Side note: the kingpin sits lower than I remember
« Last Edit: December 12, 2021, 10:06:50 PM by tom »
fuck you bama

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1107
« Reply #208 on: December 13, 2021, 03:06:12 AM »

After a year and a half detour skating ACE’s I’m back on the right path. Thunders just work the best for me and how I skate. The hanger is wider and they’re lighter when you compare similar sized trucks from each brand. I prefer the sharp turn, too. I put the 90a rebuild kit bushings in and took off the bottom washer. Perfect. Side note: the kingpin sits lower than I remember

147s?
I like pop, on 147s, quite a bit

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 976
  • the moon rules
« Reply #209 on: December 13, 2021, 06:38:53 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

147s?
I like pop, on 147s, quite a bit
These are 148’s.I’ve skated a few dozen sets of 147’s in my life if I were to guess. I got a Dane 1 JR that’s a lot smaller than expected that I’m going to put a set of 147’s on
« Last Edit: December 13, 2021, 11:40:12 AM by tom »
fuck you bama