Author Topic: The Thunder Thread  (Read 126547 times)

goodatmeth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
Re: The Thunder Thread
« Reply #150 on: November 17, 2021, 09:26:04 AM »
Thunder's seem to be the only trucks that don't work well for me in cold weather. I live in Vancouver, which is pretty mild compared to the rest of Canada. The bushings just harden right up. Never had this issue with Indy's.

Complete opposite for me, I usually ride indy bushings(88/90) in my thunders after the stock ones crumble, but they always freeze. Got some new thunder 90a bushings and while they do get harder outside, they never feel like rocks.
I might try ace bushings in thunders next, bottom seems to be the same size. (Indy bottoms are 1mm smaller)

Dan Gerous

« Reply #151 on: November 17, 2021, 09:29:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Thunder's seem to be the only trucks that don't work well for me in cold weather. I live in Vancouver, which is pretty mild compared to the rest of Canada. The bushings just harden right up. Never had this issue with Indy's.
[close]

Complete opposite for me, I usually ride indy bushings(88/90) in my thunders after the stock ones crumble, but they always freeze. Got some new thunder 90a bushings and while they do get harder outside, they never feel like rocks.
I might try ace bushings in thunders next, bottom seems to be the same size. (Indy bottoms are 1mm smaller)
You should try Lurpiv bushings for cold temps, coming from Sweden... ;D

STAH

• Rep: 4
« Reply #152 on: November 17, 2021, 01:04:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Tell us more. the Lurpiv thread is thirsty

Dan Gerous

« Reply #153 on: November 17, 2021, 06:28:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

Tell us more. the Lurpiv thread is thirsty
I wish I could, I find Lurpivs interesting, they're oddly ugly yet beautiful at the same time, but they are waaaaay too tall for me to consider. I was just jokingly assuming a company from Sweden would make sure their trucks are cold ready but I have no clue.

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #154 on: November 18, 2021, 03:39:22 AM »
Are standard Thunders made in the USA?

Frank and Fred

« Reply #155 on: November 18, 2021, 08:35:38 AM »
Yes. Poured at the Ermico foundry in SF, CA. 

Kingpins, bushings, nuts, washers etc. are likely China.

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 410
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #156 on: November 21, 2021, 07:02:44 AM »
Looks like Thunder is setting the kingpin deeper into the baseplate now. Should allow to get them a little bit looser.

Movies

• Rep: 7
« Reply #157 on: November 21, 2021, 07:11:58 AM »
Looks like Thunder is setting the kingpin deeper into the baseplate now. Should allow to get them a little bit looser.

I saw a newer set of Ventures that are like that too. I think it's just a shorter kingpin because the hanger clearance up top looks about the same as the old ones. Maybe that recessed bit on the baseplate is designed to fit a sleeve (like on the Mindys) if they ever release that inverted kingpin version.

al_cvbrera

« Reply #158 on: November 21, 2021, 08:28:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

This is definitely a street designed truck. Doable in transition, but be advised that the turn is not as deep.
[close]
Even though Thunder is the least transition of the three, I can do 100% of my tricks with them and as long as I pair them with a shorter wheelbase than I would Indy or Ace, I am not held back at all.
[close]
noted. i’ll definitely try this out. i got my thunders on a habitat board with a 14.25 wb. i’m gonna switch them out and put them onto my real board with a 14.12 wb and see if that helps.
update: i finally got around to putting them on the 8.28 deck with 14.12wb. its really nice, i get the best of both worlds now.

due to the shorter wheelbase of 14.12, i can turn how i want to like how i did on aces. on street, they still perform just as well as it did with the habitat board.

the 14.25in to 14.12in drop in wheelbase really made a difference. i got a good feeling this will end all of my setup madness.

downtodevin

• Rep: 36
« Reply #159 on: November 22, 2021, 08:18:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

This is definitely a street designed truck. Doable in transition, but be advised that the turn is not as deep.
[close]
Even though Thunder is the least transition of the three, I can do 100% of my tricks with them and as long as I pair them with a shorter wheelbase than I would Indy or Ace, I am not held back at all.
[close]
noted. i’ll definitely try this out. i got my thunders on a habitat board with a 14.25 wb. i’m gonna switch them out and put them onto my real board with a 14.12 wb and see if that helps.
[close]
update: i finally got around to putting them on the 8.28 deck with 14.12wb. its really nice, i get the best of both worlds now.

due to the shorter wheelbase of 14.12, i can turn how i want to like how i did on aces. on street, they still perform just as well as it did with the habitat board.

the 14.25in to 14.12in drop in wheelbase really made a difference. i got a good feeling this will end all of my setup madness.

I am about to get a 8.28 Krooked deck with the 14.12 WB. What wheel size are you rocking with yours and are you having any issues with wheelbite?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #160 on: November 22, 2021, 04:22:23 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I saw a newer set of Ventures that are like that too. I think it's just a shorter kingpin because the hanger clearance up top looks about the same as the old ones. Maybe that recessed bit on the baseplate is designed to fit a sleeve (like on the Mindys) if they ever release that inverted kingpin version.

I think someone had said it is so people who want to remove the kingpin and use a simple inverted one can, with the nut sitting correctly in the truck baseplate now.

Hadn't seen it done, but that was what they were aiming for - having it more versatile and ready for people who did want to go that way.

Seems like a good idea - easier than JB weld or other things.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
« Reply #161 on: November 22, 2021, 11:24:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]

I am about to get a 8.28 Krooked deck with the 14.12 WB. What wheel size are you rocking with yours and are you having any issues with wheelbite?

Chiming in here since I have a similar setup atm. I setup 149 titaniums with 1/8 risers and 56mm conical fulls. Trucks about medium ish (tightened so kingpin is flush with the nut). I would ideally like them looser but anymore than that, they wheelbite pretty easily and I need the fat wheels for rough ground.

al_cvbrera

« Reply #162 on: November 23, 2021, 08:28:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]

148, the size for 8.25. The height on 148 hollow light’s with the forged baseplate are 51mm. No risers. No issue with wheelbite that isn’t present with any other truck brand, or none that I haven’t noticed atleast (i rode Aces and Indy’s before).

Edit: My wheels were 52mm spitfire formula 4 classics. They’re probably around 50mm or 49mm now. Maybe thats why I don’t really notice any issues with wheelbite. Don’t know how they would be with bigger size wheels though. But even then, the difference is likely negligible. I don’t like risers because I’d rather deal with the higher chance of wheelbite than deal with the extra added weight, but thats just me.

Another edit: Oh and stock bushings. The bright transparent blue ones. Barely loosened them at first and just let them do their own thing while dealing with the rigid turn at first and now they’re pretty surfy, but not squirrelly by any means.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 08:35:36 AM by al_cvbrera »

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #163 on: November 23, 2021, 09:55:55 AM »
With 148 forged, I wouldn't go above 52. 50 being the sweet spot for me (buy 52/51s and wear them down)…but I ride loose. I’d image you could get away with 53s and tight trucks.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 04:28:24 PM by Xen »

Richard Skidder

« Reply #164 on: November 23, 2021, 10:16:17 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I dm’d and got this response pretty quickly. DLX is awesome.

Movies

« Reply #165 on: November 23, 2021, 02:09:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I dm’d and got this response pretty quickly. DLX is awesome.

Ahhhh, interesting. Covid supply issue strikes again. Way to handle it like a man.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #166 on: November 23, 2021, 05:43:13 PM »
Yeah, that's the way to do it.

Good job!

slappyjoes

• Rep: 38
« Reply #167 on: November 24, 2021, 11:50:20 PM »
Has anyone ever figured out a solution to the base plate problem besides smaller wheels or tons of wax. Doesn't bother me to much just curious

Lo-fi Explosion

« Reply #168 on: November 25, 2021, 12:10:35 AM »
Has anyone ever figured out a solution to the base plate problem besides smaller wheels or tons of wax. Doesn't bother me to much just curious
1/8 riser pads, let em stick out 2-3mm

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #169 on: November 25, 2021, 04:26:33 AM »

I switched from thunder to ace, learned to get into nose/tailslides properly to slide longer, switched back to thunder and now it works just as well on thunders. Maybe you need to lean back a bit more. I actually prefer the thunder "wheel-slide" now.

I still don't get what kept me from learning it properly on thunders.

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1417
« Reply #170 on: November 25, 2021, 07:26:49 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That's a good idea, I don't really have any issues with my Thunders, but DLX should make a metal riser with a little lip on it like this:

Seems like it would make 'em money.
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #171 on: November 25, 2021, 07:31:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

That's a good idea, I don't really have any issues with my Thunders, but DLX should make a metal riser with a little lip on it like this:

Have you ever contemplated a career as truck designer (serious question, you’re knowledgeable about the materials, good at drawing and skate youself)
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Richard Skidder

« Reply #172 on: November 25, 2021, 07:41:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

This, but Teflon infused high density plastic for all trucks. Much like the old Tensors with the slider!

Dan Gerous

« Reply #173 on: November 25, 2021, 08:08:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

This, but Teflon infused high density plastic for all trucks. Much like the old Tensors with the slider!
Might as well put little wheels up there while we're at it! ;D

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1417
« Reply #174 on: November 25, 2021, 08:18:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

Damn. Now we're really on to something!  8)
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

Richard Skidder

« Reply #175 on: November 25, 2021, 12:00:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Damn. Now we're really on to something!  8)

Nose wheelies to fakie!

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #176 on: November 25, 2021, 05:45:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Ha!  Yeah that is awesome!

They could also be marketed as "truck protectors too" as it is a lot easier to swap out that part than a whole baseplate.

Does anyone remember when Destructo brought out "Rail killers" which were just a normal truck with a longer part at the front, which was supposed to help with slides...

Anyone?

No?

Well, there's your answer on the significantly longer front part, easily enough.

People have tried it, but for the most part it didn't actually do what they had designed it to do and more often than not it got in the way too much.  I have a set from a team rider from back in the day and they are interesting to look at but not really functional for normal skateboarding.

The Tensor plastic slider was a lot less "out there" so it worked a lot better for those who were into that sort of thing, but for everyone else, normal trucks just worked fine.

EDIT:

I can understand and appreciate how people want a little more on the front of the Thunder truck, but for the most part, pro skaters and others can still skate them fine with no issues (and grind the baseplate) but from the measurements I think it was 2mm tops was all it needed to be of the same line as other brands, which is not much at all.

I definitely didn't post this to start trouble or cause an issue, so I am sorry if someone thinks I am just trying to be argumentative.  That is not the case.

What I do find interesting is how much of a difference it makes to some people.  I have boards with Indy, Thunder, Venture, Ace and a few other brand trucks on them, so sure they all have different things to note with performance, but the baseplate on all my boards, including the ones with Thunder trucks still touches the side of the ledges at places I skate, as it has grind and slide marks across it, as do most Thunder baseplates I see on people's boards when I am in the shop or out skating.

At least there are a good number of options with different trucks, which I would hope makes it fun to try and find a truck that works for you.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2021, 03:26:26 AM by Mbrimson88 »

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #177 on: November 27, 2021, 06:13:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

They could also be marketed as "truck protectors too" as it is a lot easier to swap out that part than a whole baseplate.

Does anyone remember when Destructo brought out "Rail killers" which were just a normal truck with a longer part at the front, which was supposed to help with slides...

Anyone?

No?

Well, there's your answer on the significantly longer front part, easily enough.

People have tried it, but for the most part it didn't actually do what they had designed it to do and more often than not it got in the way too much.  I have a set from a team rider from back in the day and they are interesting to look at but not really functional for normal skateboarding.

The Tensor plastic slider was a lot less "out there" so it worked a lot better for those who were into that sort of thing, but for everyone else, normal trucks just worked fine.

EDIT:

I can understand and appreciate how people want a little more on the front of the Thunder truck, but for the most part, pro skaters and others can still skate them fine with no issues (and grind the baseplate) but from the measurements I think it was 2mm tops was all it needed to be of the same line as other brands, which is not much at all.

I definitely didn't post this to start trouble or cause an issue, so I am sorry if someone thinks I am just trying to be argumentative.  That is not the case.

What I do find interesting is how much of a difference it makes to some people.  I have boards with Indy, Thunder, Venture, Ace and a few other brand trucks on them, so sure they all have different things to note with performance, but the baseplate on all my boards, including the ones with Thunder trucks still touches the side of the ledges at places I skate, as it has grind and slide marks across it, as do most Thunder baseplates I see on people's boards when I am in the shop or out skating.

At least there are a good number of options with different trucks, which I would hope makes it fun to try and find a truck that works for you.

While it's true that there's only a few mm difference in baseplate length, you also have to consider the distance between the end of the baseplate and the axle, which is much closer on thunder than indy trucks for example.
I rarely get grind marks on my thunder baseplate and I do lots of tailslides, but I'm also currently on 55mm wheels. It probably happens with smaller wheels.
But it still works fine if you slide on your wheels instead of the baseplate.

Just looked at my board and the slide marks end about 3mm away from the baseplate.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #178 on: November 27, 2021, 06:26:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

Anyone?

No?

EDIT:

[close]

While it's true that there's only a few mm difference in baseplate length, you also have to consider the distance between the end of the baseplate and the axle, which is much closer on thunder than indy trucks for example.
I rarely get grind marks on my thunder baseplate and I do lots of tailslides, but I'm also currently on 55mm wheels. It probably happens with smaller wheels.
But it still works fine if you slide on your wheels instead of the baseplate.

Just looked at my board and the slide marks end about 3mm away from the baseplate.
Are you doing slides on mainly rounded ledges or maybe transition? I'm on thunders and 54mm and my baseplates are mangled from tail and moseslides. Granted I'm on 54mm conical fulls but I don't think that should make too much of a difference.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #179 on: November 27, 2021, 07:02:12 AM »
It might get down to the crazy nitty gritty measurements, or go way past what anyone really should know, but this is what we worked out.

From measuring the axle mid point to the end of the baseplate, Thunder is only 2 mm less than the next top brand, which is Venture, then a bit more again (3.5mm if I can recall) for others like Indy and then a bit more again for Ace (4.5mm or so) but it was quite a while ago, so I could be wrong with the figures, but I think it did go in that order.

It was interesting to measure those, as we had to check and take into consideration other things like the mounting holes, but it turns out the things like wheelbase, length of kicks or mounting holes are not relevant to the particular topic of "Whether or not the baseplate sticks out enough" as it is the axle to the end of the baseplate, as mentioned above.

The other really interesting thing in determining nose / tail slide contact with the baseplates is the concave and kick angle of the board, so if a board has more concave, with steeper kicks, there is much more chance of the Thunder baseplate touching on nose / tail slides.  Also if people do slides while sitting lower, rather than higher on the nose / tail, there is much less likely to be any baseplate touch on the edge as well.

I am sure people have looked at a board on a ledge, with the kick flat on top (nose or tail), in the same way that you would put your board up to drop in on a ramp, which is way more relevant than some other examples of the different truck brands not actually in skateboarding positions.

When I have a minute, I can take some pics too, but if anyone is actually doing measurements or tests, it really needs to be on the same wheels and the same deck, to minimise variables.

Even between two of what should be the same setups (with different trucks, but same deck, wheels, etc) things still worked a little differently, but I think that is pushing it almost too far, isn't it?