Author Topic: The Thunder Thread  (Read 126696 times)

Beeker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 41
Re: The Thunder Thread
« Reply #120 on: October 27, 2021, 06:44:59 AM »
I understand how duro's work, I'm just not convinced they're the same based on every description I've heard of the blacks. People say they aren't all that hard and they receive regular high praise. No one in their right minds would ever call the yellow ones not that hard and I've never heard a single person sing their praise. I think we all know other products that work against how they should in theory i.e. red Indy bushings.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 975
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #121 on: October 27, 2021, 07:31:09 AM »
I understand how duro's work, I'm just not convinced they're the same based on every description I've heard of the blacks. People say they aren't all that hard and they receive regular high praise. No one in their right minds would ever call the yellow ones not that hard and I've never heard a single person sing their praise. I think we all know other products that work against how they should in theory i.e. red Indy bushings.

Ha yeah it is a weird one.

Here I was thinking anything that is 99 or 100 duro is going to be "almost fixed" or no turn whatsoever, but those things still turned a lot more than I was thinking they would.

The Thunder trucks I have set up all have stock bushings, but most are older and nicely weathered, which makes them a bit more stable too.

I am more a 90 to 92 duro (with low heads) type of person with any trucks that will wheelbite if I push with my hands, but I can appreciate people of all weights and trucks of anything from nonexistent bushings to semi solid rocks, though I think having at least some decent amount of turn is what makes skateboarding fun.

Chances are the hard yellow are a different beast, but I wouldn't want to say "Go buy the black ones" if they might not be any better for you.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Dan Gerous

« Reply #122 on: October 27, 2021, 09:26:08 AM »
Bushings are so personal, I'm relatively heavy but couldn't really ever consider 100a to be usable. I tried the 97a and with the nut flush, they felt pretty good out of the box, stable and not too much wheelbite but still turnable... but they feel a bit tight once they break in, so 94/95a is better in my eyes (52mm wheels, 148 with forged plates).

Speaking of Thunders, here's Mark Suciu's boards with what looks like inverted Kingpins... Ishod has been riding these on and off too over the last year, I wonder if they'll eventually be stock. Unlike the Indy Mids, it looks like it actually gives more clearance...
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 10:33:54 AM by Dan Gerous »

beandemon

• Rep: 180
« Reply #123 on: October 27, 2021, 06:06:39 PM »
I think not even Thunder/Deluxe can get the bushing tubes. I had a defective bushing and they sent me the rebuild kit.

Ol Nick

• Rep: 101
« Reply #124 on: October 27, 2021, 07:24:48 PM »
I’ve definitely noticed the stock/rebuild kit bushings hardening up as they break in. I liked the black 100 and the blue 95 but I’m realizing now that there was a point on both where I suddenly realized I didn’t like them anymore. Ultimately I like the stock hardness (incl the red rebuild kit) once they’re pretty broken in and I think I just liked the harder ones until they got too far past that same feel. The black 100du bushings definitely felt way softer at the beginning. Like pretty close to fully broken-in 90du. Could explain some of the comments on these. Kinda want to try the yellow 100du if I come across them just to see how different from the black ones they could be.
I only skate prime numbers, so it's either 53s or 59s, feast or famine

Damoforce

• Rep: 24
    • YouTube Channel avatar image
« Reply #125 on: October 27, 2021, 07:35:54 PM »
I've been on Thunder a while, just snapped a kingpin. Just wondering, what other low trucks are out there? Mine are 51mm When I switch over to Indys forged hollows i struggle lol ( 53.5mm )
Just an older guy trying to learn to Skateboard over 30 with developing gear madness syndrome

Join me on YouTube for skateboarding, reviews and ect

90sDamiano

• Rep: -82
« Reply #126 on: October 27, 2021, 08:05:24 PM »
I've been on Thunder a while, just snapped a kingpin. Just wondering, what other low trucks are out there? Mine are 51mm When I switch over to Indys forged hollows i struggle lol ( 53.5mm )

Thunder 147 standards are 49.78
Venture 5.2 low is at 48mm
Ace Af1 33 is at 52 mm
Found all these specs on tactics
I ride Thunder 147s and they’re pretty amazing
And tensor mag light 8.0 is at 45.5

al_cvbrera

« Reply #127 on: October 27, 2021, 09:00:12 PM »
going for thunders next. should i go for the hollows or raws? and why

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 243
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #128 on: October 27, 2021, 10:12:45 PM »
team hollow is best for me. i run 53-54 and medium trucks.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
« Reply #129 on: October 27, 2021, 10:43:30 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

+1 on the team hollows..u run 52-56mm wheels with the stock bushing,almost 2 thread showing on the kingpin.

al_cvbrera

« Reply #130 on: October 28, 2021, 01:36:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

+1 on the team hollows..u run 52-56mm wheels with the stock bushing,almost 2 thread showing on the kingpin.
would you guys recommend the hollow lights over the team hollow lights? i know the team hollow lights are 1mm taller at 50mm, which is already pretty low. would the 1mm shorter height of the hollow lights be negligible or would it make wheelbite alot worse?

juniormint

• Rep: 140
« Reply #131 on: October 28, 2021, 03:57:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
would you guys recommend the hollow lights over the team hollow lights? i know the team hollow lights are 1mm taller at 50mm, which is already pretty low. would the 1mm shorter height of the hollow lights be negligible or would it make wheelbite alot worse?

Minimal difference in terms of wheelbite for me, that being said I always run my forged and cast thunders on risers, and wouldn’t even think to try riser-less on forged. I feel like it’s more the geometry that causes the bite, so 1mm is really negligible. One thing to take into account is that they feel different - the forged are tinnier for sure, whether you like that or not is personal preference. Also I think the forged plates extend the wheelbase a bit more.

Dan Gerous

« Reply #132 on: October 28, 2021, 05:55:19 AM »
The height depends on the width with Thunders. Up to 147/8", they're 49mm with forged baseplates, 50mm with standard/team plates. From 148/8.25" to 151/8.75", they're 51mm/52mm and the 161/9.125" are 52/53mm high.

nekro

• Rep: 8
« Reply #133 on: October 28, 2021, 12:31:09 PM »
I don't ever remember bushings needing to be worn in back in the day.
So, how long does it take for them to firm up?

ish_wav

• Rep: 93
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #134 on: October 31, 2021, 11:16:03 AM »
While we’re on the topic of bushings, has anyone tried riptide bushings in their thunders? If so, what combo of their bushings will keep the geometry of the truck as close to what Thunder intended?

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 940
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #135 on: October 31, 2021, 11:18:38 AM »
While we’re on the topic of bushings, has anyone tried riptide bushings in their thunders? If so, what combo of their bushings will keep the geometry of the truck as close to what Thunder intended?

Bruh, this thread is a measly three pages deep...

Page one:
https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=118215.msg3624211#msg3624211

Page two
https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=118215.msg3660837#msg3660837

https://www.slapmagazine.com/?action=search;

ish_wav

• Rep: 93
« Reply #136 on: October 31, 2021, 11:28:14 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Bruh, this thread is a measly three pages deep...

Page one:
https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=118215.msg3624211#msg3624211

Page two
https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=118215.msg3660837#msg3660837

https://www.slapmagazine.com/?action=search;

I appreciate the links.

left knee cap

• Rep: 118
  • $$$$
« Reply #137 on: October 31, 2021, 11:55:54 PM »
thinking about trying out thunders...

a lot of boards i've been riding on have steep concaves on it and was wondering how these would fair out with that combo? trying to limit my ghost flips.

looking at the regular polished and the hollow lights, size 149 for both.

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 410
« Reply #138 on: November 01, 2021, 06:34:25 AM »
I don't ever remember bushings needing to be worn in back in the day.
So, how long does it take for them to firm up?

Depends on what you mean by “back in the day “. In the mid 90’s it took at least a month to fully break in Indy bushings and that’s with skating every day. Less “turny” lower trucks didn’t really feel like they had much break in time because like I said, they don’t turn. Stock bushings were stiffer up to like 2006 because industry wide kingpins became two threads shorter. Prior to that the stock bushings in most trucks were 92a but after shortening the kingpin ( for clearance) the durometer was reduced to 90a in order to keep the same general turn feel.

My Thunders stiffened up in about two sessions. Venture was like 20 minutes for me. Everyone has a different experience though based on weight, and how we skate, and weather plays a big factor too.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #139 on: November 01, 2021, 11:06:28 AM »

a lot of boards i've been riding on have steep concaves on it and was wondering how these would fair out with that combo? trying to limit my ghost flips.

What are you currently riding on steep concave (just concave or concave and kicks)? Trucks and board brands?

Keep in mind the regular polished are teams so a 1mm taller baseplate than the hollow lights forged plate.

Personally, I prefer thunders on medium to mellow kicks and Indy/ace on steeper kicks. They all work tho.

Maybe it's not your trucks but just the steep kicks? Maybe just drop to a medium concave?

left knee cap

• Rep: 118
  • $$$$
« Reply #140 on: November 01, 2021, 12:37:50 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

What are you currently riding on steep concave (just concave or concave and kicks)? Trucks and board brands?

Keep in mind the regular polished are teams so a 1mm taller baseplate than the hollow lights forged plate.

Personally, I prefer thunders on medium to mellow kicks and Indy/ace on steeper kicks. They all work tho.

Maybe it's not your trucks but just the steep kicks? Maybe just drop to a medium concave?

currently rocking ace af1 55 on the new FA/Hockey 8.44 shape. a lil steep than i’m used to, and now i have a frog board i just got the other day and it’s steep as well.

my truck knowledge is still pretty basic but trying to understand it a little better.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #141 on: November 01, 2021, 05:48:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

currently rocking ace af1 55 on the new FA/Hockey 8.44 shape. a lil steep than i’m used to, and now i have a frog board i just got the other day and it’s steep as well.

my truck knowledge is still pretty basic but trying to understand it a little better.

This is how the madness starts..

Here are the rabbit holes:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=88869.0

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=108560.0

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=108580.0

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=114533.0

Since you've ACE, that takes care of that category, if dollas permit, snag some thunders and a medium/mellow board and mix/match until if feels right.

Also, the wheelbase: https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=94518.msg3456298#msg3456298
« Last Edit: November 14, 2021, 10:26:33 PM by Xen »

al_cvbrera

« Reply #142 on: November 01, 2021, 10:42:46 PM »
just ordered thunder hollow light 148’s. gonna be interesting seeing how this truck performs in contrast to riding indy’s and aces primarily my whole life.

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1137
  • old and in the way
« Reply #143 on: November 14, 2021, 02:46:27 PM »
I put some RipTide Krank 87a bushings into my 147 Thunders and tried them out today. The turn and rebound feels improved. The top conical bushings are a bit taller than Thunder stock ones, so I thought that would be more of an issue, but because they so soft I could crank down the kingpin nut without making them bulge out or anything.

al_cvbrera

« Reply #144 on: November 14, 2021, 05:05:40 PM »
just ordered thunder hollow light 148’s. gonna be interesting seeing how this truck performs in contrast to riding indy’s and aces primarily my whole life.
had a couple of sessions on them so far and i think i can say i can give a fair assessment of them now.

they are definitely alot more stable feeling than aces. what i mean by that is there is alot less “play” in the turn, i guess you can say. its more of a gradual turn, more of a straighter turn than a curvy turn. landing tricks on them feels so much more crisp to me because the board is more stuck in place and feels like it is less likely to turn immediately as soon as you put your feet back on the board and land the trick. the direction you were going as you were attempting the trick is the same direction you will go as you roll away, generally, as opposed to Aces which will have more of a tendency to veer off to any which direction because they are that more more turn sensitive.

I love them in street. No complaints from me there because that is what Thunder trucks are specialized for. As for transition, they are doable. Due to their stability, it is not as easy to really get a deep curve and adjust to the transition. When you pump with Aces, you can really feel the whole truck bend and move along with your legs. With thunders, you can still feel it, but it is sort of a more muted feeling. I’ll skate them in transition for sure because switching out to different trucks just to skate the bowl is alot of work, but just bear in mind that they do not carve as well as Indy’s or Aces.

Grinds are immaculate. Very smooth. Once you lock into the grind, you’re really locked in and you can tell you’ve locked in correctly.

I actually think I do manual’s better on Thunders than Aces. Aces have more room for adjusting your balance in manuals than Thunders though, however. Maybe its because the thunders i got were alot lighter than my previous Aces? idk, i can’t explain why in that regard. forgive me.

This is definitely a street designed truck. Doable in transition, but be advised that the turn is not as deep.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #145 on: November 14, 2021, 07:06:31 PM »

This is definitely a street designed truck. Doable in transition, but be advised that the turn is not as deep.

I agree.  I have Thunder Ti, Ace (AF1 and classic) And 3 stages of Indy.   

Thunder best in the street, Indy most "all around", Ace best in transition.

I skate more transition than street and am better at it.  Even though Thunder is the least transition of the three, I can do 100% of my tricks with them and as long as I pair them with a shorter wheelbase than I would Indy or Ace, I am not held back at all.

But, if I skate Ace on the street there are tricks I can't land that I can land on Thunder.  I can land just about everything on Indy that I can on Thunder, but I am more consistent on the Thunder.

So, even though I skate mostly transition - If I had to choose one setup only it would be Thunder.

Instead I have 4 boards sitting in my car (and 4 more at home) and I skate different setups at different locations.

al_cvbrera

« Reply #146 on: November 14, 2021, 08:54:18 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Even though Thunder is the least transition of the three, I can do 100% of my tricks with them and as long as I pair them with a shorter wheelbase than I would Indy or Ace, I am not held back at all.
noted. i’ll definitely try this out. i got my thunders on a habitat board with a 14.25 wb. i’m gonna switch them out and put them onto my real board with a 14.12 wb and see if that helps.

Bigwheelbite

• Rep: -162
« Reply #147 on: November 15, 2021, 01:39:49 AM »
Thunder team standards 149 all day & forever ;)

With Bones medium bushings (without top or bottom washers - put the top washer on when they've fully broken in)

STAH

• Rep: 4
« Reply #148 on: November 17, 2021, 12:11:02 AM »
Thunder's seem to be the only trucks that don't work well for me in cold weather. I live in Vancouver, which is pretty mild compared to the rest of Canada. The bushings just harden right up. Never had this issue with Indy's.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 567
« Reply #149 on: November 17, 2021, 07:28:06 AM »
Thunder team standards 149 all day & forever ;)

With Bones medium bushings (without top or bottom washers - put the top washer on when they've fully broken in)

Username checks out :)

I think that's the exact same truck setup Aaron Herrington has too