Author Topic: The Thunder Thread  (Read 130573 times)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: The Thunder Thread
« Reply #270 on: February 02, 2022, 06:37:11 AM »
You could easily have fixed it with these Thrasher branded Sharpies... ;D

Ha yeah, the mighty sharpie can fix anything!

For real though, marker pen always come out a little bit shiny and not the full black, so they might look even more funny.
 I have done it to deck bolts quite often, but even spray painting them they still come out a different colour, although if it is uniform, then it is way less noticeable so much less of a mental issue for some people.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

notinternetfamous

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 309
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #271 on: February 02, 2022, 10:58:15 AM »

suciu running IKPs, hope to see Thunder actually release them eventually

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #272 on: February 02, 2022, 11:01:08 AM »

Serious wheelbite.

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
« Reply #273 on: February 02, 2022, 03:46:08 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Serious wheelbite.
His wheels do look like they’re on the bigger side.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #274 on: February 02, 2022, 04:19:05 PM »
I asked and he said he rides 53 conicals and hollow lights with forged plates then left me on read about the IKP.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #275 on: February 02, 2022, 04:54:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
stick to stock as much as you can, bones bushings always blow out quick whether you run tight, med or loose trucks. deserve to have there own overrated thread, that's just my opinion though. Others will swear by them.
[close]

one of my coworkers at my local shop ran the indy hard bushings in his thunders, he rides super tight trucks, and he seemed to love em.

we commonly sell the bones bushings but we constantly hear about them blowing out, however Ive never heard complaints about the wide range of Indy bushings we have sold, people seem to prefer them once they try them.

personally i found that the stock bushings in any of the truck brands i have rode (thunder, indy, ace) at a medium tightness have worked like a dream.
[close]

I have the 92a conical Indy bushings in my thunders and I’m enjoying it. I prefer stock but they was busted and I had the 92a new just never used cause I don’t care for conical but it’s nice. Flat bottom washer from bones
[close]

yeah the only complaint Ive heard was the shape of the Indy bushings fitting weird in some trucks, and the Indy bushings are a bit bigger than the thunder ones which I'd imagine could be weird depending on the tightness of the trucks

But they're not. Thunders bottoms are taller than indy stock or aftermarkets; the conical indy aftermarkets are 'close enough' tho...maybe a 1mm difference so nothing to worry about, tops are the same. The trade off is more duro options and better rebound.

Ol Nick

• Rep: 101
« Reply #276 on: February 05, 2022, 04:35:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Thunder's seem to be the only trucks that don't work well for me in cold weather. I live in Vancouver, which is pretty mild compared to the rest of Canada. The bushings just harden right up. Never had this issue with Indy's.
[close]

Complete opposite for me, I usually ride indy bushings(88/90) in my thunders after the stock ones crumble, but they always freeze. Got some new thunder 90a bushings and while they do get harder outside, they never feel like rocks.
I might try ace bushings in thunders next, bottom seems to be the same size. (Indy bottoms are 1mm smaller)

I went back and reread the entire thread just looking for ideas to get over the creaky Thunder bushings since Houston has finally had some cold days. Put some worn-in Ace barrels (and Ace bottom washer) in the 151s and they have done way better in the cold. They are soft enough to not feel hard even if they’re still tightening some and have minimal squeak. Turn is similar to stock conical at first but as you get to the point where they usually collapse into wheelbite, it eases you in instead. For heavier people, these or a similar height soft barrel that fits in the yoke might be the answer to riding thunders without having to step up bushing hardness. I’m about to order a grip of bushings and give in to the madness a little.
I only skate prime numbers, so it's either 53s or 59s, feast or famine

realbasedgod112

• Rep: 80
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #277 on: February 06, 2022, 03:30:53 PM »
any thunder riders here grinded down to the axle? mine are starting to get some (albeit shallow) grooves, i was wondering what the timeframe is for it to happen.
y’all not fuckin with what i’m fuckin with

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #278 on: February 06, 2022, 04:32:41 PM »
any thunder riders here grinded down to the axle? mine are starting to get some (albeit shallow) grooves, i was wondering what the timeframe is for it to happen.

If you are skating normally, not crusty raw concrete curbs or pool coping, Thunders usually last a good while, but as they are a thinner metal on the hanger than some other trucks, they don't last as long on the crusty stuff and can be eaten to axle in a week on really raw grinds, but that was more just seeing how quick they could go through them.

I still have some from years ago that people skated to axle then took off and they still skate fine, although the flat grinded surface is more a pain than the newer thinner fresh truck feel.

So overall, from a week to many years, going both opposites of the scale.  Most of the guys I know go through trucks within a year, or at least swap them out when they start to feel too worn down, often about 3 to 6 months minimum really.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #279 on: February 07, 2022, 09:33:40 AM »
One of the reasons why I quit riding thunders….6 mo.  I skate often but I rarely grind far.  Thats why thunders are so light though, there is less meat than an Indy or Venture…..

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1957
« Reply #280 on: February 07, 2022, 09:39:37 AM »
I grinded a set of Thunders down to the axle a couple sets ago. Think it took maybe a year, which I think is a reasonable timeline.

realbasedgod112

• Rep: 80
« Reply #281 on: February 07, 2022, 02:34:18 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

If you are skating normally, not crusty raw concrete curbs or pool coping, Thunders usually last a good while, but as they are a thinner metal on the hanger than some other trucks, they don't last as long on the crusty stuff and can be eaten to axle in a week on really raw grinds, but that was more just seeing how quick they could go through them.

I still have some from years ago that people skated to axle then took off and they still skate fine, although the flat grinded surface is more a pain than the newer thinner fresh truck feel.

So overall, from a week to many years, going both opposites of the scale.  Most of the guys I know go through trucks within a year, or at least swap them out when they start to feel too worn down, often about 3 to 6 months minimum really.
thanks for that, i've been on a set of thunders for a little over a year now. only started slappies in the past 3 months, and they've worn about double what they had before in a quarter of the time!
y’all not fuckin with what i’m fuckin with

Crabby_Bastard

• Rep: 55
« Reply #282 on: February 07, 2022, 04:52:19 PM »
I ride titanium Thunders for this very reason. I usually grind down to the axle in 4-6 months but I usually have at least another 4-6 months before they break. Hollows break/bend much quicker.
How much for an order of ribs?

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1151
  • old and in the way
« Reply #283 on: February 07, 2022, 05:17:38 PM »

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #284 on: February 08, 2022, 04:39:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

thanks for that, i've been on a set of thunders for a little over a year now. only started slappies in the past 3 months, and they've worn about double what they had before in a quarter of the time!

Yeah I found slappies ate trucks so easily, but on the bright side, anyone who wears trucks down to the point of grinding axle but doesn't break them can swap them out, then set them up on a second board or as a cruiser easily enough to give another option.  They are still good, usually weigh less with way less metal on them and you can still skate them as usual (minus the slappies) easily enough too.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
« Reply #285 on: March 02, 2022, 12:04:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Thunder's seem to be the only trucks that don't work well for me in cold weather. I live in Vancouver, which is pretty mild compared to the rest of Canada. The bushings just harden right up. Never had this issue with Indy's.
[close]

Complete opposite for me, I usually ride indy bushings(88/90) in my thunders after the stock ones crumble, but they always freeze. Got some new thunder 90a bushings and while they do get harder outside, they never feel like rocks.
I might try ace bushings in thunders next, bottom seems to be the same size. (Indy bottoms are 1mm smaller)
[close]

I went back and reread the entire thread just looking for ideas to get over the creaky Thunder bushings since Houston has finally had some cold days. Put some worn-in Ace barrels (and Ace bottom washer) in the 151s and they have done way better in the cold. They are soft enough to not feel hard even if they’re still tightening some and have minimal squeak. Turn is similar to stock conical at first but as you get to the point where they usually collapse into wheelbite, it eases you in instead. For heavier people, these or a similar height soft barrel that fits in the yoke might be the answer to riding thunders without having to step up bushing hardness. I’m about to order a grip of bushings and give in to the madness a little.

Interesting!
Has anybody tried shaving down ace bushings a bit to fit thunders and all other trucks better? These are the best bushings ever and I'd love to have them in all trucks. I'm curious what ace bottom bushing in the shape of a thunder bottom would feel like. I want to try it but ace bushings are so precious to me because I can't buy them anywhere around me.

Edit: Just tried the new royal bushings in my thunders, the bottom is the same size but the top is too big. These bushings are just as good as ace.

CaderSk8r

• Rep: 19
« Reply #286 on: March 02, 2022, 12:29:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Interesting!
Has anybody tried shaving down ace bushings a bit to fit thunders and all other trucks better? These are the best bushings ever and I'd love to have them in all trucks. I'm curious what ace bottom bushing in the shape of a thunder bottom would feel like. I want to try it but ace bushings are so precious to me because I can't buy them anywhere around me.

Edit: Just tried the new royal bushings in my thunders, the bottom is the same size but the top is too big. These bushings are just as good as ace.

I use an ace top bushing as the bottom bushing in my thunders, gives me kind of a hybrid ishod setup

chillclinton87

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 110
« Reply #287 on: March 06, 2022, 06:47:35 AM »
Just a heads up and kinda off topic:

Usually ride my thunders stock but they tend to freeze up when it's below like 7 celsius or so. Igot frustrated with it lately and switched them out for the red thunder aftermarket bushings from the rebuild kit i got myself- they are 90A duro too just like the stock ones but are way more surfy feeling!

Back on topic:

Haven't had squeaky trucks in forever but never bothered me too much personally. coud be that it is rather the pivot cup than the bushings- just try putting a little wax into the pivot cup, that might help!

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 443
« Reply #288 on: March 14, 2022, 07:47:47 PM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/CYRzL1xviO7/?utm_medium=copy_link

In the comments Axle says he’s riding 8.375 with Thunder 149 and 56mm wheels. Kingpin looks flush. No risers either. That’s a pretty good size wheel for a 52mm high truck.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1107
« Reply #289 on: March 14, 2022, 08:33:34 PM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/CYRzL1xviO7/?utm_medium=copy_link

In the comments Axle says he’s riding 8.375 with Thunder 149 and 56mm wheels. Kingpin looks flush. No risers either. That’s a pretty good size wheel for a 52mm high truck.

Highly relevant to my interest. Very similar to what I’m riding (with polar opposite results, obviously).
I’ve got some bigger sets of wheels I need to start wearing down.

Rattus Localis

« Reply #290 on: March 16, 2022, 07:20:35 PM »
Just set up some 148 team hollows and I was shocked at how well they turned. I had a set of 147 lights a couple of years ago that didn't turn anywhere near as well and gave me a lot of wheel bite due to the lower height.

I'm absolutely loving these 148s. Perfect height and weight, and they grind fucking well.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #291 on: March 16, 2022, 07:41:02 PM »
Just set up some 148 team hollows and I was shocked at how well they turned. I had a set of 147 lights a couple of years ago that didn't turn anywhere near as well and gave me a lot of wheel bite due to the lower height.

I'm absolutely loving these 148s. Perfect height and weight, and they grind fucking well.

I got some 148 lights. Haven’t really gotten into them. I managed to kook it and get the forged plate, solid axle (what they had), but the cast plate is so much nicer feeling. I’ll probably set them up once I get off this 8.5 deck kick (using thunder 149s with that).
I think I’m going to try one of those 8.25x14.38x32 dlx decks when that time comes, but I was just looking at Suciu’s shape…
Anyways, pleased with thunders rn

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #292 on: March 16, 2022, 07:45:04 PM »
When did axle leave Indy?

Richard Skidder

« Reply #293 on: March 24, 2022, 05:11:20 AM »
I’m not sure. Maybe late last year?

Richard Skidder

« Reply #294 on: March 24, 2022, 05:14:06 AM »
Just picked these up yesterday

The bases look black in the photo but they’re actually a dark grey. Thunders used to come in polished or completely raw. I loved the raw for the grind. Hopefully these feel the same!

LebowskisRug

« Reply #295 on: March 24, 2022, 07:43:13 AM »
I weigh 160-165 at 6 foot 3 and noticed both of my Thunder ti hangers have bent axles. I don’t skate much other than a curb and some ankle to knee height ledges and low transition so it’s pretty surprising.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #296 on: March 24, 2022, 07:53:23 AM »
I weigh 160-165 at 6 foot 3 and noticed both of my Thunder ti hangers have bent axles. I don’t skate much other than a curb and some ankle to knee height ledges and low transition so it’s pretty surprising.

That sucks. I’ve never had titanium trucks, I’d be bummed for sure if that happened. I used to break thunder kingpins, but that was 20 plus years ago, since then their qc has been, for me, the best (least problematic).
I’m envious of that height to weight ratio: I am much shorter, and a bit heavier. I cannot break a board, and certainly not trucks.

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #297 on: March 24, 2022, 08:53:09 AM »

I noticed curbs will always bend my axles (thunders or otherwise) but I've never tried TI hangers. I would think those would avoid the bending more.

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1427
« Reply #298 on: March 24, 2022, 09:19:05 AM »
Has anyone put their Ti Thunders on a diet? Brand new my 149's weighed ~335 grams. Got them down to ~305 which is less than Tensor ATGs (which claims they're 30% lighter than every other truck on the market). Hoping to get sub 300 when 3/8 Ti washers arrive. Not that it matters, just a weird project.
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #299 on: March 24, 2022, 11:41:56 AM »
Has anyone put their Ti Thunders on a diet? Brand new my 149's weighed ~335 grams. Got them down to ~305 which is less than Tensor ATGs (which claims they're 30% lighter than every other truck on the market). Hoping to get sub 300 when 3/8 Ti washers arrive. Not that it matters, just a weird project.

How?
Does it help?