Author Topic: The Thunder Thread  (Read 130526 times)

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1427
Re: The Thunder Thread
« Reply #300 on: March 24, 2022, 12:07:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Has anyone put their Ti Thunders on a diet? Brand new my 149's weighed ~335 grams. Got them down to ~305 which is less than Tensor ATGs (which claims they're 30% lighter than every other truck on the market). Hoping to get sub 300 when 3/8 Ti washers arrive. Not that it matters, just a weird project.
[close]

How?
Does it help?

Knocked out the old kingpins and popped on some titanium nuts and titanium kingpins. Planning on drilling out the baseplates for too, because fuck it, why not, I'm bored and it's raining outside.

It's only a 60-gram difference, but it's noticeable. Feels like you can pop over anything, and the board doesn't hurt too bad when it smacks your shins. The total weight is 5 pounds 1 oz with a 32 x 8.5 deck and ~50mm radial slims.
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1105
« Reply #301 on: March 24, 2022, 12:41:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Has anyone put their Ti Thunders on a diet? Brand new my 149's weighed ~335 grams. Got them down to ~305 which is less than Tensor ATGs (which claims they're 30% lighter than every other truck on the market). Hoping to get sub 300 when 3/8 Ti washers arrive. Not that it matters, just a weird project.
[close]

How?
Does it help?
[close]

Knocked out the old kingpins and popped on some titanium nuts and titanium kingpins. Planning on drilling out the baseplates for too, because fuck it, why not, I'm bored and it's raining outside.

It's only a 60-gram difference, but it's noticeable. Feels like you can pop over anything, and the board doesn't hurt too bad when it smacks your shins. The total weight is 5 pounds 1 oz with a 32 x 8.5 deck and ~50mm radial slims.

So sick! Heavy mods.
I’m skating a few different setups with thunders, and recently switched to 52 and less wheels. Skating is so much more fun (in this fairly smooth parking lot). I’ve always been the least picky about wheels…but damn if it doesn’t have a huge effect.

Dan Gerous

« Reply #302 on: March 24, 2022, 02:55:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

How?
Does it help?
[close]

Imagine if you started with 149 Titaniums like the set I have, 310gr each, stock and new.

PuffinMuffin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #303 on: March 24, 2022, 05:50:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

How?
Does it help?
[close]

[close]

Imagine if you started with 149 Titaniums like the set I have, 310gr each, stock and new.

Damn, luck of the draw, huh?

Ol Nick

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 101
« Reply #304 on: March 24, 2022, 06:22:35 PM »
That’s with the same race car bolts you had in another set of trucks?
I only skate prime numbers, so it's either 53s or 59s, feast or famine

PuffinMuffin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #305 on: March 24, 2022, 07:23:46 PM »
Yep, same bolts. They were worth the money.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1018
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #306 on: March 24, 2022, 07:55:35 PM »
Expand Quote
I weigh 160-165 at 6 foot 3 and noticed both of my Thunder ti hangers have bent axles. I don’t skate much other than a curb and some ankle to knee height ledges and low transition so it’s pretty surprising.
[close]

I noticed curbs will always bend my axles (thunders or otherwise) but I've never tried TI hangers. I would think those would avoid the bending more.

It might just be me, but I feel like I have seen more bent Ti axles than regular or hollow, especially in proportion to how many there would be around, compared to regular or hollow.

The other troublesome thing is I can never hammer or bend Ti axles back straight, the way I can with regular or hollow.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
« Reply #307 on: March 25, 2022, 11:34:11 AM »
Thunder instagram story announced a 10" axle thunder.
size "181"

Not excited though, I just want some damn titaniums back in europe again. It's been over 2 years

Frank and Fred

« Reply #308 on: March 26, 2022, 05:54:13 AM »
Every time Thunder put out a wider truck, I get super intrigued. I have no need for 10" trucks but can't wait to see what the 181s look like. Still haven't tried 161s...

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1105
« Reply #309 on: March 26, 2022, 07:18:20 AM »
Every time Thunder put out a wider truck, I get super intrigued. I have no need for 10" trucks but can't wait to see what the 181s look like. Still haven't tried 161s...

I do appreciate the larger sizes, even tho I’m not trying to skate them (at this time): it’s nice to settle in on a brand, some of it is some weird consumer shit on my part, some of it is it’s nice to have some consistency across setups. Been on a thunder bender lately, works.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
« Reply #310 on: March 26, 2022, 10:25:14 AM »

300 and 302 grams. So close to sub 300. I tried drilling out the baseplates but the material was much harder than Indy forged plates, not worth the effort without a drill press.

It's really weird to me that your titaniums started off so heavy. Where's all that mass? My titaniums (148) were around 305g new.

According to skatedeluxe, the 149 hollow lights are 324g. Titaniums should definitely be lighter

PuffinMuffin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #311 on: March 26, 2022, 10:31:26 AM »
Expand Quote

300 and 302 grams. So close to sub 300. I tried drilling out the baseplates but the material was much harder than Indy forged plates, not worth the effort without a drill press.
[close]

It's really weird to me that your titaniums started off so heavy. Where's all that mass? My titaniums (148) were around 305g new.

According to skatedeluxe, the 149 hollow lights are 324g. Titaniums should definitely be lighter

I'm guessing the hanger has more meat for some reason, as the baseplates only weigh 70 grams each. But I don't understand it either.

Ol Nick

« Reply #312 on: March 26, 2022, 11:24:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I'm guessing the hanger has more meat for some reason, as the baseplates only weigh 70 grams each. But I don't understand it either.
Oh, I didn’t realize this was in the Thunder baseplates, I figured those other plates you were modding maybe helped get it lighter. Can I see a pic of the baseplate/nut side or are they already set up?

PuffinMuffin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #313 on: March 26, 2022, 11:31:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
Oh, I didn’t realize this was in the Thunder baseplates, I figured those other plates you were modding maybe helped get it lighter. Can I see a pic of the baseplate/nut side or are they already set up?

I set them up already. :(

Ol Nick

« Reply #314 on: March 26, 2022, 11:53:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

It’s cool. I’ve been at the stage where the race car bolts just have their own permanent browser tab for a month or two now. Probably have a couple more before I take it to the next level. And I don’t even know what that level is.

PuffinMuffin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #315 on: March 26, 2022, 12:04:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
It’s cool. I’ve been at the stage where the race car bolts just have their own permanent browser tab for a month or two now. Probably have a couple more before I take it to the next level. And I don’t even know what that level is.

Haha, I feel you. It's not too bad compared to cycling. Some dudes I knew dropped hundreds of dollars on hub bearings that'd save them 1/8th of a watt. All so they could be pack fodder in a charity Gran Fondo.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #316 on: March 26, 2022, 04:53:49 PM »
I love how a few years back all the major bike brands were pushing these super integrated aero bikes that rode like ass and were a pain to work on and it turned out none of their wind tunnel testing transferred to real world conditions like they thought and now people are back on much more traditional frames. My teammate had a Venge Vias and it was the ugliest piece of shit and the internal cabling was heinous to work on. Oh and he was terrible so it was all for naught.

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #317 on: March 27, 2022, 08:37:45 PM »

Ditch the baseplate and kingpin to shed more wieght :v

https://www.instagram.com/tv/Cbn5MlqN9Sr/?utm_medium=copy_link

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #318 on: March 27, 2022, 10:49:08 PM »
I ran krux down-los, cast baseplate and ti hangers….it was a good set up. 

Skatebeard

• Rep: 130
« Reply #319 on: March 28, 2022, 11:56:25 AM »
After two years of skating constant flatground (around 500 hours I estimate), I've finally snapped a kingpin on my hollow light IIs.

For a hollow kingpin I feel like that's not terribly bad going, weird trick for it to happen on though, switch FS pop shuv.

Love the trucks so have already got a new kingpin on order. I'm on Venture lows on my spare setup in the meantime and whilst they don't suck for flatground at all, I'm missing the Thunder turn already.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #320 on: March 28, 2022, 12:08:47 PM »
If all else fails DM DLX/Thunder, they have pretty good customer service and may be able to help.  I barely got the kingpin out of my cast plates…

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 280
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #321 on: March 28, 2022, 12:23:20 PM »
I remember my father breaking his wrist trying to hammer out kingpin out of Thunder baseplate 15 years ago

Shoutout to my dad who has broken more bones than me with skateboards despite not skating

Skatebeard

« Reply #322 on: March 28, 2022, 12:26:55 PM »
If all else fails DM DLX/Thunder, they have pretty good customer service and may be able to help.  I barely got the kingpin out of my cast plates…

Yeah man I'm not looking forward to hammering it out tbh, think it'll be a vice and centre punch job. That splined section looks like it's pretty well in there.

PuffinMuffin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #323 on: March 28, 2022, 12:39:57 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Ditch the baseplate and kingpin to shed more wieght :v

https://www.instagram.com/tv/Cbn5MlqN9Sr/?utm_medium=copy_link

Thank you for sharing this! Ingenious considering he used Krux trucks so no turning radius was lost.

Vintagebody

• Rep: 75
« Reply #324 on: March 28, 2022, 10:59:39 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah man I'm not looking forward to hammering it out tbh, think it'll be a vice and centre punch job. That splined section looks like it's pretty well in there.

My trucks was rather new, so I got a new pair, but I tried hammering the kingpin out. I actually bent the kingpin instead. Its seriously tight... Seriously need to attach the baseplate to something solid, and then have a giant hammer, or the best would probably be a hydraulic press

Skatebeard

« Reply #325 on: March 29, 2022, 12:46:43 AM »
Mine actually snapped down inside the baseplate so I'm hoping that makes it a bit easier to hammer out as there isn't a load of kingpin to try and get back through the hole.

Guess i'll find out!

timv

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 17
« Reply #326 on: March 29, 2022, 06:53:40 PM »
I broke two hollow kingpins on venture forged baseplates and used a drill press to drill most of it out and then was able to hammer out the rest fairly easy.  Had to be careful not to drill out the splined edge inside baseplate.  I put down lows in with jb welded nuts though……

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #327 on: March 29, 2022, 09:08:03 PM »
My impression is that the older ones were easier to get out, so I’d keep my eye out for them.  Ie. Craigslist or friends. 

Damoforce

• Rep: 24
    • YouTube Channel avatar image
« Reply #328 on: March 29, 2022, 11:18:03 PM »

Thunder its self customer service was really bad imo. Never resolved my issue. I ended up going to where I bought them from and they were super helpful.

And on the kingpin, I couldn't get one out of a forged plate. The only way I see is drilling.
Just an older guy trying to learn to Skateboard over 30 with developing gear madness syndrome

Join me on YouTube for skateboarding, reviews and ect

freidnly guy

• Rep: 16
« Reply #329 on: April 05, 2022, 01:45:50 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fkjyz3jPrf4

thunder 181 in this Stock Report