Author Topic: The Thunder Thread  (Read 126600 times)

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 410
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
The Thunder Thread
« on: August 22, 2021, 09:13:55 AM »
I figured since there were so many specific truck threads and various Thunder topics sprinkled throughout a few different threads we should have a spot for just Thunders. So post truck setups, turning advice, to riser or not to riser, love, hate, and that baseplate “problem” lol, here.

Here’s the link with the most accurate measurements Thunder has on their website. Height varies along sizes as well as baseplate styles. Luckily the chart accounts for all variations thus far and is fairly easy to read.

https://www.thundertrucks.com/sizing/

Hope everyone finds this helpful.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2022, 10:58:25 AM by Richard Skidder »

GBLange

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
Re: The Thunder Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2021, 09:16:05 AM »
contemplating on getting the Thunder 161 hollows for 9.25 eggball shape decks. Currently hv 151 team hollows & 149ti.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2021, 09:50:30 AM »
contemplating on getting the Thunder 161 hollows for 9.25 eggball shape decks. Currently hv 151 team hollows & 149ti.

Check the taper after the trucks if you can, on my 9" egg I had to drop down from thunder 161s to 159 (149s would work too). With it being 9.25" you might get away with no significant poking out of the axles.

Thunders are very nimble with lots of stability, lots of weight options (all good) and have great pop feel, pinch, shitty fucking wheelbite; Grind fine but Indys grind better due to hanger shape. Of all the variants, Team Hollows provide the best of everything from a cost/performance ratio (imo). They fall right in the middle of Venture and Indy (with a slight lean towards Ventures characteristics of low height, stability and lack of carve feel compared to indy or ACE.

<--Venture--Thunder--Tensor ATG--Indy--ACE-->

Unless you ride tight, wheel size and width, plate height (duh) are the most contributing factors for wheel bite (I get more wheel bite on classics and wider wheels than skinny). That said, I've come to realize that the stock bushings are shit and my main issue with the truck. After swapping to some 'better' aftermarket bushings with more rebound I experience significantly less wheelbite (it still happens to a degree, even with the cast plate) and they feel smoother overall.

Stock thunders, shaved top (most wheel bite due to squishy rebound and low/sanded tops); note: stock top makes them tight as fuck for me just getting the nut flush.

Conical Indy bottoms are just a hair shorter than Thunders. Also shaved down 88a top bushings (in order to get the nut flush and still turn). Honestly if anyone with thunder turn/loose issues switched to these they'd be amazed. Truely.

Riptide 87a conicals (not shaved yet), a hair shorter than Indy bottoms, top is a hair taller but somehow they feel great so far.

Barrel bottoms make them feel like shit, super stable but the turn is just bad.

Some are going to disagree (it is slap) but the stock thunder bushings are shit when it comes to rebound (that's also why I use the flat sleeved washers, more bushing deformity and added rebound), which makes them feel like shit when loose. Softer bushings with better urethane/rebound really help. But ultimately a lot of us here try to make thunders something they are not (Indy or ACE) and that's part of the problem.

As for the slide issue, well, maybe it's just how *I* slide, but it isn't an issue (both kicks from a twin kick board show the same thing) I can't tell you why but I'm not the the lock-in type but the balance on the flat of the tail after the flat type:

Additionally, I hate them for bowl skating; wheelbite city.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2021, 12:16:47 PM by Xen »

switchfrontshuv

• Rep: 47
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2021, 12:13:47 PM »
Currently skating 149 Teams:

- prob gonna get 148s next time and get smaller boards (8.125) from now on
- 1/8 risers work well but are kinda useless if ur wheels are smaller than 52mm cuz they just make pop feel hella ghost
- the turn is twitchy but maxes out when it wheelbites. With risers I just get them as loose as I want even taking the bottom washer off but without risers I keep them medium tightness so I can still like turn with one foot on the board but also not get wheelbite literally just from turning

Probably the biggest thing for me in terms of turning between thunders and indys/ace is the fucking wheelbite. Once you turn a bit on thunders you wheelbtie a lot whereas ace indy just kinda curve in and mitigate that a lot more. I still think thunder is a good truck cuz of my experience with quality (dont bend like ace or feel fucking heavy lugging them around like indy 149), but I think unless I have the perfect deck for it I can do a lot better.

Then again we could all do a lot better but who gives a fuck. I skated 54mm wheels on risers with a steep deck and still learned bs 180 nosegrinds so maybe im nerding out for nothing (or maybe thunder pinch is uncompromisable ;))

I feel like with thunders, the trucks kind of decide what you should skate instead of indy's which can skate anything. With thunders its like fuck yeah I could totally do a rly good bs smith rn and then another day its 5 degrees colder and ur bushings feel sus like fuck I cant even pop up the ledge (IN THIS CASE, CUZ OF BUSHING TRASHNESS I WOULD RECOMMEND RISERS A LOT - and is why I usually skate risers w mushy-feeling bushings)

opesorry

• Rep: 21
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2021, 12:18:32 PM »
I’ve been skating Thunders since last fall and thought I liked them pretty well, until I stepped on my cruiser for the first time in months that has Indy’s on it and realized I really do not like the way they turn compared to Indys. Realized the bushings were getting fucked and replaced them with bones mediums but didn’t help as much as I wanted, so now I’m about to try Indy 88 Soft bushings and see if that does it.

Trucks are totally fine though so I’m going to keep trying to fine tune them until I like them, but tempted to bail on them early.

switchfrontshuv

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2021, 12:22:16 PM »
I’ve been skating Thunders since last fall and thought I liked them pretty well, until I stepped on my cruiser for the first time in months that has Indy’s on it and realized I really do not like the way they turn compared to Indys. Realized the bushings were getting fucked and replaced them with bones mediums but didn’t help as much as I wanted, so now I’m about to try Indy 88 Soft bushings and see if that does it.

Trucks are totally fine though so I’m going to keep trying to fine tune them until I like them, but tempted to bail on them early.

thunders turn better than Indys when u put 1/8 risers on them (and they become the same height too)

gsosa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 290
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2021, 12:35:18 PM »
I ride the team 148s with the 95a aftermarket bushings (Thunder as well). The stock bushings are pretty shit and blow out somehwat quickly. I also got the Real wooden risers and love the fact that I have a hi truck now. I ride my shit medium loose and they work great for me. Love Thunders

opesorry

• Rep: 21
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2021, 01:15:28 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

thunders turn better than Indys when u put 1/8 risers on them (and they become the same height too)

Thanks, I’ll have to try that next, I was tempted to get some risers the other day but thought I’d try one thing at a time I guess haha

maggot cunt

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2021, 01:30:01 PM »
tried 149’s multiple times and 147’s a couple times too over the last few years, both once each within the last year. just cant jam with them for different reasons. gonna give 148s to see if theyre the sweet spot

Skatebeard

• Rep: 129
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2021, 01:40:55 PM »
Been on thunder light II 148s for about a year now and really liking them... not too heavy, not too light.

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1137
  • old and in the way
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2021, 02:05:54 PM »
I have some Thunder 147 hollow lights and Real 3 ply risers. I'm currently running the standard issue bushings but I'm definitely going to go the @Xen route and find the best Riptide bushing option to make the turn a bit more surfy.

jsettle

• Rep: 134
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2021, 02:34:54 PM »
I've actually been contemplating switching to thunders from indy's just for a change. I've never skated Thunders but love how they look and think they would be the best bet if i was going to switch truck brands. Been on Indy's for the past 15 yrs or so, so it's hard to just switch it up but im guessing the creation of this thread will make my decision a little easier. I mainly skate skateparks, curbs, and smallish transition. Anyone want to sell me on switching to thunder lol? I ride 55mm-56mm wheels so that's why i have always been on the fence about it and dont really want to ride risers. I will admit i do get ghost pop alot on my indys though. Never really realized it until recently. I saw Tactics has some standard High Thunders on sale for 36 bucks so i'm really thinking about going for it.

Fhk

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2021, 03:03:43 PM »
I was a couple decades late to this party,but now I have Thunder lites on my two current setups. I love them after I put 94 dur bushings in them.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2021, 03:05:33 PM »
With 55/56mm wheels I wouldn’t touch thunders, with or without risers the pinch would be too fast for me.

Cast or forged I can’t go past 50mm on thunders for as loose as I like my trucks. Forged Indys I can skirt buy with 52s.

Also, if I wanted a tall Thunder I’d just ride Tensor ATGs on 14.3x or bigger WB and not worry about wheelbite or baseplate issues (if you have them) as they are a surfy thunder.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2021, 03:16:52 PM by Xen »

LebowskisRug

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2021, 04:51:30 PM »
I have liked all my Thunders and get less wheelbite with them than Indy. Stock bushings feel great and ride them medium loose. I had 53 OG classics on them with no risers recently and they were solid. I ride the Team Hollows most recently 148.

Overall I prefer the grind, pop, and manuals on Indys but it’s splitting hairs. I’ve never found fucking with various bushings and pivot cups and bullshit to be useful.

Flat washers make Thunders wheelbite more. The cup pushes against the top bushing near the end of the turn and will gouge the truck just like Venture.

zozu

• Rep: 122
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2021, 06:48:38 PM »
My 149s baseplate scrapes on tailslides as you can see from the photo, thats with 55mm conical fulls.

I also dont really get wheelbite they just rub and eventually burn their own wheel wells into my deck so it all works out, I find that if I skate a skinny wheel I experience a proper bite a lot more frequently though.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2021, 07:14:05 PM »
I have some Thunder 147 hollow lights and Real 3 ply risers. I'm currently running the standard issue bushings but I'm definitely going to go the @Xen route and find the best Riptide bushing option to make the turn a bit more surfy.

You could just go indy aftermarket and save a few bucks as riptides are 2x as much and no idea if you'd notice a difference.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2021, 07:41:52 PM by Xen »

Frank and Fred

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2021, 07:23:54 PM »
151 Teams, 1/8” risers with stock bushings (the white ones) have never failed me and I’m a 200lb clumsy bastard.

switchfrontshuv

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2021, 10:05:09 PM »
With 55/56mm wheels I wouldn’t touch thunders, with or without risers the pinch would be too fast for me.

Cast or forged I can’t go past 50mm on thunders for as loose as I like my trucks. Forged Indys I can skirt buy with 52s.

Also, if I wanted a tall Thunder I’d just ride Tensor ATGs on 14.3x or bigger WB and not worry about wheelbite or baseplate issues (if you have them) as they are a surfy thunder.

something about riding tensor trucks feels wrong to me

That being said I dont experience any problems with 55mm on thunders w 1/8 risers and im 185 pounds. They feel the same as an indy standard w the same size wheel (maybe slightly more wheelbite but idk)

I guess everyone's different im 185 pounds and skate my shit loose but not rattly loose (think broken in aces w no adjustments)

switchfrontshuv

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2021, 10:05:41 PM »
I figured since there were so many specific truck threads and various Thunder topics sprinkled throughout a few different threads we should have a spot for just Thunders. So post truck setups, turning advice, to riser or not to riser, love, hate, and that baseplate “problem” lol, here.

I’ll go first. I’m currently riding Thunder Shane O’Neil Commodore Lights in 149 on a Real 8.25 with 14.38 wheelbase and 54 mm Classic shape F4. Kingpins at stock setting with original bushings and wax in the pivot cups.

how the FUCK are you riding 54mm wheels on thunder lights

switchfrontshuv

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2021, 10:07:54 PM »
I ride the team 148s with the 95a aftermarket bushings (Thunder as well). The stock bushings are pretty shit and blow out somehwat quickly. I also got the Real wooden risers and love the fact that I have a hi truck now. I ride my shit medium loose and they work great for me. Love Thunders

what wheel size do u skate?

juniormint

• Rep: 140
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2021, 10:22:27 PM »
After a short 5 month, albeit enjoyable fling with aces, I am back on my team 151s. At then end of the day the pop on thunders is just preferable for me, I missed that hefty sticking to your feet feeling.

Always 1/8 risers and riptide pivots, loose, the turn is deep and really great (180lbs, size 14). I would ride them without risers but my penchant for larger 54-56mm wheels won't allow it - maybe they are actually better on risers anyway. Thinking about lights next set - with risers it might be the perfect height for me.

Low key think they look the best too.

gsosa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 290
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2021, 10:35:05 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

what wheel size do u skate?
Usually 54s without the risers but I went up to 55s on this recent set up, but added the risers.

ImmanuelCunt

• Rep: 31
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2021, 11:54:29 PM »
I agree with xen.  88a Indy conicals are great in thunders with a top shaved. If you ride them with inverted kingpin shave them a bit more (at least krux dlk).
Also 54mm on thunders 147/148 forged/cast are no problem for me either. I guess i would say i ride medium loose. 56mm on 147 was a real pain, but I was young, didn't know any better and wanted big wheels (to maximize cost/benefit ratio). Landing a few mm off center meant getting pitched :D Still rode them till they were like 40 mm.

palach303

• Rep: 1
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2021, 04:04:54 AM »
Been lurking for a while, first post here. Got back into skating this year after a 10 year hiatus.

7.5 Birdhouse deck that has been lying dormant under my bed for 10 years :D It is really skinny, will probably go for 7.75-8.0 next.
Thunder 145 standard with stock bushings, kingpin stock tightness, not sure if I can loosen them more. The bushings feel nice, but I hope they get a little softer, Id like to be able to make sharper turns. Im trying to not succumb to madness and buy all kinds of bushings to test out but I am tempted to put something softer on top to get a surfier turn.
Ricta clouds 86a 57mm - youre probably wondering how the fuck am I riding 57mm wheels on Thunders? Well I have no idea, Im not the biggest dude, only about 160lbs and I dont get any wheelbite. I only use 1mm shock pads, not sure if they do anything, the idea was to dampen vibrations and make a smoother ride, might have to try without them. I dont do any crazy stuff, just cruising. I have some Spitfire F4 54mm 99a classics on ice when Im ready to start learning tricks. If I ever get wheelbite issues I will probably just get the Real wooden risers.

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 410
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2021, 06:16:39 AM »
Expand Quote

I’ll go first. I’m currently riding Thunder Shane O’Neil Commodore Lights in 149 on a Real 8.25 with 14.38 wheelbase and 54 mm Classic shape F4. Kingpins at stock setting with original bushings and wax in the pivot cups.
[close]

how the FUCK are you riding 54mm wheels on thunder lights

I weigh under 160 and skate fairly low impact these days.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 750
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2021, 10:06:43 AM »

161 Hollow Lights
Aftermarket 90a Thunder bushings
Real 1/8" wooden riser pads to make up for the shorter height of hollows (I feel zero difference between these pads and normal plastic ones)

I like Thunder because they work. Zero gimmicks and it's perfect for everything.

Velcro Wallet

• Rep: 211
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2021, 01:28:10 PM »

I had these 149’ers for AGES. 99% of the time on cruisers. With Bones mediums they fuxking rule. Every time I skate them I’m reminded of how much I love Thunders. Very low truck too.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2021, 04:32:25 PM »
Dude the old 149s were soooooo good. Prefer them over the new ones, even if the wheelbite was worse lol. They just felt better at 49mm.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 04:57:30 PM by Xen »

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2021, 12:42:55 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Check the taper after the trucks if you can, on my 9" egg I had to drop down from thunder 161s to 159 (149s would work too). With it being 9.25" you might get away with no significant poking out of the axles.

its the Chocolate 9.25 Couch shape..151 TeamHollows fits flush on the back truck. front truck a lil' bit magic carpet.