Author Topic: The Thunder Thread  (Read 146735 times)

420beers and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Thebird

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 158
Re: The Thunder Thread
« Reply #1680 on: October 25, 2023, 04:13:42 AM »
That would actually make sense watching the way he skates.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 702
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1681 on: October 25, 2023, 11:24:48 AM »
Yep Primitive does this too - I saw Franky post an Egg Shape setup with a Wade Graphic, and that has clearly never existed for the general public.

re: wheel bite - i also get it on all truck setups to some degree of course. I am just saying look at the difference in my wheel marks on 1 setup vs another:

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 258
« Reply #1682 on: November 07, 2023, 01:35:41 PM »
might be an insane ask, but as anyone tried thunder hangers on the new royal baseplates?

LewFarrell

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 144
« Reply #1683 on: November 07, 2023, 02:16:24 PM »
might be an insane ask, but as anyone tried thunder hangers on the new royal baseplates?
Just tried to fit them with royal, thunder and bones bushings. I would say it’s a no-go. Couldn’t get the hanger to not butt up against the kingpin.

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 258
« Reply #1684 on: November 07, 2023, 04:46:43 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Just tried to fit them with royal, thunder and bones bushings. I would say it’s a no-go. Couldn’t get the hanger to not butt up against the kingpin.
thanks for trying. i know its probably a user problem, but since i run 54's on thunders i always feel like i snag the wheels before sliding nose or tail. was hoping this could work.

Fifty8mm

• Rep: 150
« Reply #1685 on: November 07, 2023, 06:49:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
thanks for trying. i know its probably a user problem, but since i run 54's on thunders i always feel like i snag the wheels before sliding nose or tail. was hoping this could work.

Shit you not, skated thunder hanger on a venture baseplate and didn't realize it. Be fore i skated the board i switched hangers on the front truck of my venture setup to a thunder just to see if it would look too wimpy. Then i skated for like an hour. Not bad actually. Cant remember if the baseplit slid before the wheels though

Paperclip20

• Rep: 139
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #1686 on: November 08, 2023, 05:46:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Just wax the side of the ledge/rail

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1017
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1687 on: November 08, 2023, 02:58:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

Shit you not, skated thunder hanger on a venture baseplate and didn't realize it. Be fore i skated the board i switched hangers on the front truck of my venture setup to a thunder just to see if it would look too wimpy. Then i skated for like an hour. Not bad actually. Cant remember if the baseplit slid before the wheels though
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

Didn’t Puig do that for a while on purpose?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1688 on: November 08, 2023, 03:45:10 PM »
From observing Lucas' IG over the years I have only seen him skate bone stock gear when there are closeups of his board. Usually Thunder Team Hollows or Hollow Lights and Classics or Conical Fulls

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1017
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1689 on: November 08, 2023, 04:20:42 PM »

Yup, I'm the socio - when all you do is follow me around the forum, posting almost right after me, every time, to counter (seriously go look at my posts, there you are.... Seek help.

theloniousmonk

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #1690 on: November 09, 2023, 04:12:59 AM »
What bushings are those of you who are in colder climates going to run this winter?

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #1691 on: November 09, 2023, 06:16:18 AM »
What bushings are those of you who are in colder climates going to run this winter?

from lebowski and another user: (sorry didnt feel like quoting properly)

Bones don't, and don't quote me on this one as I've never ever done it, but I've heard that Tensor bushings fit and don't freeze either. Riptide might make an option that fits and doesn't freeze.

One thing a friend does in the winter is just removes the bottom washer and puts the kingpin nut exactly in the same spot.

----

the last years i skated through winter outdoors mostly and tried the thunder aftermarket bushings in the usual/ stock duro 90A, they come in red and did not freeze. they are the same hardness as the stock bushings but feel way softer so after the winter you might wanna change back.

that would be worth a try and you wouldn't have to mess with the geometry.

mind it wasn't the coldest winters around here, coldest i skated was until around 0 degrees celsius since my knees are bitchy if it is any colder

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 632
« Reply #1692 on: November 09, 2023, 07:50:39 AM »
Ace low bushings work perfectly, if you want the bottom bushing to be the same size, put an extra flat washer underneath.

Paperclip20

• Rep: 139
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #1693 on: November 09, 2023, 08:04:21 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Ace low bushings work perfectly, if you want the bottom bushing to be the same size, put an extra flat washer underneath.

Can confirm on ace low bushings. I use the normal tall ace bushings and just cut the top bushing which gives the same result.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1694 on: November 09, 2023, 09:37:41 AM »

Expand Quote
Yup, I'm the socio - when all you do is follow me around the forum, posting almost right after me, every time, to counter (seriously go look at my posts, there you are.... Seek help.
[close]

We both post a lot in the same threads get the fuck over it. Just coincidence. It has to do with enjoying chatting about gear and nothing to do with you. If you were to click on my post history you will see far more threads where I respond to other people.  Move on with life.

theloniousmonk

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #1695 on: November 11, 2023, 06:49:33 AM »
Thanks everyone for the freezing bushings tips, last year I rode them in tensors and I think I’ll check out both the ace low and thunder red 90a bushings.
I appreciate it!

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1696 on: November 11, 2023, 08:58:17 AM »
 My buddy that lives in frigid temps just takes the bottom washer off and tightens the nut back to exactly where it was. He's tried Bones, Riptide, and I think 2 Ace standard tops bottom ace low tops as well and settled on this.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #1697 on: November 11, 2023, 11:11:51 AM »
this is my first winter on the thunders so i'll let you know how it goes... i am just going to run the stock bushings. they were already feeling a little tense yesterday at freezing temps  ;D we'll see if i crack them. maybe i am too light. i am only about 160lbs now.

lildonut92

• Rep: 12
« Reply #1698 on: November 14, 2023, 06:56:58 PM »
Anyone on a 14inch wheelbase with 147's (normal baseplate)? Typically on boards with short wheelbases and short tails. Currently on venture lows. I like being lower to the ground but I just can't adjust to the pop feel on the ventures.

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 317
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #1699 on: November 15, 2023, 08:22:35 AM »
Anyone on a 14inch wheelbase with 147's (normal baseplate)? Typically on boards with short wheelbases and short tails. Currently on venture lows. I like being lower to the ground but I just can't adjust to the pop feel on the ventures.
this was my go-to setup for a long time before i switched to Ventures.

i also had no issues running 147's on 14.25" wb boards and i liked them a lot w/ the dlx wooden risers if you ever want to experiment with bigger wheels (53mm+). A cheap experiment if you ever considered transitioning to 148's since they're taller, but you get the added bonus of having more kingpin clearance

juniormint

• Rep: 142
« Reply #1700 on: November 16, 2023, 05:12:28 PM »
Anyone here running 161s, specifically on 8.75 decks? Thinking about grabbing a pair when I hit axle on my current 151s. Liking the idea of the extra height. 

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1050
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1701 on: November 16, 2023, 09:10:59 PM »
Anyone here running 161s, specifically on 8.75 decks? Thinking about grabbing a pair when I hit axle on my current 151s. Liking the idea of the extra height.

Some people like the extra width, but I would say before you decide on anything, take your current 8.75 setup, place it grip down, take off the wheel nuts and pull your wheels out almost 5mm each side and have a good look at your board.

That is where they are going to sit, which does mean the wheels will stick out over the 8.75 size board for me on the 161s, and sit flush on a 9.0" board that I have them on, but you can still skate it easily enough and I have seen people do this.

Depending on where you like the washers (inside or outside or none), how wide the wheels are or other things, you can make them work well enough.

The height alone is nicer, + 1mm to 53mm tall, but I usually lift any Thunders a bit more, coming from Indy standards at 55mm tall, so the board with the 161s on it has 2mm thin rubber risers with 56mm wheels and feels good.  Others ride them exactly as is on whatever size wheel without issues.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Dong Hanglo

• Rep: 34
« Reply #1702 on: November 26, 2023, 05:58:05 PM »
Found this photo in Thrasher. Looks like the next Thunder is going to be awesome. The baseplate is drilled back for better nose/tail slides. Inverted king pin that’s set at very subtle angle that should make em feel real swervetastic. Can’t wait to see more.

zozu

• Rep: 123
« Reply #1703 on: November 26, 2023, 07:12:30 PM »
Found this photo in Thrasher. Looks like the next Thunder is going to be awesome. The baseplate is drilled back for better nose/tail slides. Inverted king pin that’s set at very subtle angle that should make em feel real swervetastic. Can’t wait to see more.

Damn they look very interesting, could just be the photo but they seem taller too.

The wheelbite marks aren't too deep on the board so they probably turn pretty similarly to the current gen, It would be pretty risky to change the Thunder geo drastically unless it was an additional model instead of a replacement (like the Indy Stage 4s).

Ill definitely be grabbing a set once they come out in 2030 lol.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1704 on: November 26, 2023, 11:22:38 PM »
I've heard they're slightly taller (maybe 53mm), turn a bit different, feel pretty cool. Maybe Summer 2024 release? It's taking too damn long whenever it is!

I really hope they don't go with an IKP unless they nail it like Royal did. Would hate for an Indy Mid situation in which the idea was cool, but execution was meh.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 635
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #1705 on: November 27, 2023, 05:01:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Can confirm on ace low bushings. I use the normal tall ace bushings and just cut the top bushing which gives the same result.

Which side of the top bushing should be cut? I am thinking the smaller top side. That's how I did it with Indy bushings but I am not sure. I would give the Ace Hard bushings a try for my 148s. Seems like there will be snow in the next few weeks here and I want to be prepared when I finally can skate the Ikea parking garage again. Frozen bushings are weird.
IG: @flowterspace

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1706 on: November 27, 2023, 11:50:05 AM »
I'd always cut the top. It's easier to use a wider washer than have the bottom potentially squirm through the hanger hole.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 635
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #1707 on: November 27, 2023, 01:26:11 PM »
I'd always cut the top. It's easier to use a wider washer than have the bottom potentially squirm through the hanger hole.

But a wider washer can cause that clicking (at the hanger)?
IG: @flowterspace

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1050
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1708 on: November 27, 2023, 04:41:37 PM »

Whose board is that?  Frank or someone else?

Expand Quote
[close]

But a wider washer can cause that clicking (at the hanger)?

In experimenting with this, yes you can easily cut too much off the bottom, but cutting the top often has some other issues, where using a flat washer could end up best, unless you trim round the top edge some, or rub it back on grip tape or similar.

I got used to only cutting a single mm from the bottom of the top washer, which meant if I needed to, I can still put it back under at any time, eg if the bushings compress a lot, which has happened to some, but it also means the top area is as it was and the normal washer fits on it well.  Others had sanded it down or reshaped the top with a machine or by hand on grip tape, which does work and keeps the bottom profile intact, so there is more than one way to do this, but take time and make sure you don't take too much off it.

Any washer can click if the inside hole is significantly bigger than the kingpin - stock brands, Bones flat washers, etc.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

skatebruh

• Rep: 32
« Reply #1709 on: November 27, 2023, 07:21:02 PM »

Looks like a Thunder hangar on Independent inverted kingpin baseplates.