Author Topic: Oskis New Truck Brand  (Read 143346 times)

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1433
Re: Oskis New Truck Brand
« Reply #1110 on: February 10, 2022, 11:07:49 AM »
Expand Quote
any german truck brands?
id pay to try an overengineered truck
[close]

@off I gotchu fam

https://www.surf-rodz.com/grindsz

Thank you!  :) I was trying to find these monstrosities but forgot what they were called.
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 874
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1111 on: February 10, 2022, 02:27:02 PM »
ill admit that sounded better in my head
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

passthegeritol

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 1
« Reply #1112 on: February 12, 2022, 12:04:59 PM »
Fellow lurpers,

I ordered my 159’s the moment they went live in mid January.  I got a shipping notification for delivery this past Thursday but come Monday of this week it was changed to “ We are experiencing transit delays. We will deliver your package as soon as possible.” With no delivery info available.  Should I be concerned or just stay patient?

slothrop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 13
« Reply #1113 on: February 12, 2022, 04:33:40 PM »
got a set with the grub was wondering if i should run the grub tightened  straight away or just wait till i have dramas and use em. do the grubs slowly come loose like the bloody ones on my towel rail in the bathroom?

So before he woke up, I shaved off my eyebrows, too. That way, whenever he woke up the next day, he’d probably say something like, “Hey, you don’t have any eyebrows!”
“Neither do you.”
That w

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1114 on: February 12, 2022, 04:45:43 PM »
I would tighten it and use blue loctite. I would hate to lose it.

So from that YouTube link above the dude thinks the main issue is just the specific nut?

manysnakes

« Reply #1115 on: February 12, 2022, 04:51:24 PM »

So from that YouTube link above the dude thinks the main issue is just the specific nut?

I’ll second the blue Loctite suggestion. For those who don’t know, the blue color usually indicates that it’s intended for screws which get adjusted with some frequency. Red is intended to affix something semi-permanently.

PuffinMuffin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1116 on: February 12, 2022, 08:13:00 PM »

I think he's saying there's a tiny lip in the baseplate where the kingpin is housed with the nut. Hence his effective countersinking of the baseplate to eliminate the lip. The built-in speed ring on the nut combined with the tiny lip of the baseplate creates no parallel surface for the nut to butt up against the baseplate, causing some nuts to back out. I'm definitely not an engineer like he is, and I could be totally wrong.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1117 on: February 12, 2022, 08:52:56 PM »
Ya that’s what I gathered so it would seem like they could just use a flat nut and change the flange on the hole.

IpathCats

« Reply #1118 on: February 13, 2022, 05:47:21 AM »
got a set with the grub was wondering if i should run the grub tightened  straight away or just wait till i have dramas and use em. do the grubs slowly come loose like the bloody ones on my towel rail in the bathroom?

The little set screw in the baseplate? Idk they were actually shipping those.... Wtf. Nobody wants that shit. Go back to the drawing board oski. Just throw a regular kingpin with good hangar clearance on there or something, people like the geo. All this other shit is just nonsense. If they want to keep the IKP, maybe they could thread the baseplate, and still put a nylock nut in the bottom. If the threads were nice and tight and the nut in the baseplate was snug, I feel like it would resolve their issues, idk.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1119 on: February 13, 2022, 10:12:41 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The little set screw in the baseplate? Idk they were actually shipping those.... Wtf. Nobody wants that shit. Go back to the drawing board oski. Just throw a regular kingpin with good hangar clearance on there or something, people like the geo. All this other shit is just nonsense. If they want to keep the IKP, maybe they could thread the baseplate, and still put a nylock nut in the bottom. If the threads were nice and tight and the nut in the baseplate was snug, I feel like it would resolve their issues, idk.

I think the aluminum would be too soft for the threads to work very well even with rheocasting. Having a threaded steel insert there would be better but that’d have to be made so that it doesn’t slip unlike the “axles”.

I was very excited to try these out and said I’d get a pair when the 159s are available but with all this shit going on I’ll rather wait for the Ace AF1 60s.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1120 on: February 13, 2022, 10:46:25 AM »
If the show Nathan For You did an episode on skateboard trucks this would be it.

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #1121 on: February 13, 2022, 02:27:31 PM »
Ya that’s what I gathered so it would seem like they could just use a flat nut and change the flange on the hole.

That flange on the baseplate hole is only there because the little integrated speed ring/nut creates it. There's such a tiny amount of interfacing between the "speed ring" and the baseplate the aluminum rolls and gets pushed down, then you start getting gaps where there were none and shit loosens up, like PuffinMuffin said. But you're right, a normal nut there would be better...maybe. Normal replacement axle nuts aren't as tight as the slightly oversized Lurpiv ones in the socket. I'd guess (could be dead wrong) the minor amount of play would start to cause a similar loosening after a while. 

ProfessorJSS

• Rep: -6
« Reply #1122 on: February 13, 2022, 06:40:39 PM »
I really wanted to like my Lurpivs. In a lot of ways they’re great. They grind amazing and I have a lot of fun skating them at slappy spots. Buuuuut they do spontaneously loosen up every once in a while. Like very loose. It’s annoying but since I usually have a skate tool handy I just tighten em back up.

jimgrude

• Rep: 70
« Reply #1123 on: February 13, 2022, 09:25:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
any german truck brands?
[close]

Polster trucks are German. Their Titan model looks interesting. Cheaper than Ti Thunders and supposedly lighter as well.
[close]

My buddy has Polsters. They don‘t look overengineered to me. Feels like Thunder as far as I can tell from quickly trying them. He rides them flush but they don‘t turn like I am used to from Indy and now Lurpiv.

Talking of Lurpiv, I noticed that the stock bushings don‘t rebound nicely. What are other Pals using? I have soft bones lying around but they might be too soft.
I know this is the Lurpiv thread, but nobody ever talks about Polster on slap. Do you happen to know if the baseplate is too short, like on Thunders? If Polster's are like Thunders with the baseplate fixed, I'm interested.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 710
« Reply #1124 on: February 13, 2022, 10:45:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
any german truck brands?
[close]

Polster trucks are German. Their Titan model looks interesting. Cheaper than Ti Thunders and supposedly lighter as well.
[close]

My buddy has Polsters. They don‘t look overengineered to me. Feels like Thunder as far as I can tell from quickly trying them. He rides them flush but they don‘t turn like I am used to from Indy and now Lurpiv.

Talking of Lurpiv, I noticed that the stock bushings don‘t rebound nicely. What are other Pals using? I have soft bones lying around but they might be too soft.
[close]
I know this is the Lurpiv thread, but nobody ever talks about Polster on slap. Do you happen to know if the baseplate is too short, like on Thunders? If Polster's are like Thunders with the baseplate fixed, I'm interested.

Unfortunately I am not familiar with the Thunder baseplate issue. How is it too short, for what?
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 308
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1125 on: February 13, 2022, 10:50:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
any german truck brands?
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

Unfortunately I am not familiar with the Thunder baseplate issue. How is it too short, for what?
When nose or tailsliding Thunders, your wheels touch the side of the ledge because baseplate doesn't extend like in other trucks. Thunders require more wax on the side of the ledges

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 714
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #1126 on: February 13, 2022, 11:35:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
any german truck brands?
[close]

[close]

[close]

You’re out of luck buddy. Polster trucks have a pretty short baseplate like thunders (Imo they are a straight rip-off).

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

DERBY

• Rep: 298
« Reply #1127 on: February 14, 2022, 04:21:11 AM »
I really liked the Lurpiv bushings. They have a deep turn and good rebound.

I’ve been running Ace bushings in them lately and I prefer them to the Lurpiv bushings, but only slightly.

dude ace stock bushings rock. i dig how bottom n top are different euros

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1128 on: February 14, 2022, 08:15:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
any german truck brands?
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

I find it super exaggerated, I slide Thunders faster as I tend to sit and lean into the ledge thus pulling my wheels away and there is no baseplate friction.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1132
« Reply #1129 on: February 14, 2022, 08:21:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
any german truck brands?
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

You’re out of luck buddy. Polster trucks have a pretty short baseplate like thunders (Imo they are a straight rip-off).

Aren't those just the white label 2HEX trucks

thanksgiving

• Rep: 214
« Reply #1130 on: February 22, 2022, 12:23:30 AM »
Got a cold call email from Lurpiv the other day at our shop about carrying the trucks. 60usd wholesale.

As much as I want to support the brand, it seems like these will just be a headache of customer complaints at the moment.

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 507
« Reply #1131 on: February 22, 2022, 07:46:28 AM »
Got a cold call email from Lurpiv the other day at our shop about carrying the trucks. 60usd wholesale.

As much as I want to support the brand, it seems like these will just be a headache of customer complaints at the moment.

interesting, did the non-inverted kp version come up at all by chance?

roomservice

• Rep: -209
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1132 on: February 22, 2022, 07:57:56 AM »

60usd? Damn talk about desperate.

PuffinMuffin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1133 on: February 22, 2022, 08:12:03 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

From what I know working in other retail spaces, a 50% markup is totally normal. Shops have to pay for labor, rent, bills, etc.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 710
« Reply #1134 on: February 22, 2022, 01:05:51 PM »

If they get you the new baseplates and a set of regular kingpins with each set there should be no complaints.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

thanksgiving

« Reply #1135 on: February 22, 2022, 01:42:47 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
hahaha it’s very average. formula fours are like 25 bucks and a set of regular 5.6 ventures is just under 30.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2022, 07:06:09 PM by thanksgiving »

thanksgiving

« Reply #1136 on: February 22, 2022, 01:44:22 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

interesting, did the non-inverted kp version come up at all by chance?
no photo or mention of it in the lookbook or order form. i emailed them asking about it. will edit this reply

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1137 on: February 22, 2022, 02:25:40 PM »
My local just got them in for 10€ more than they sell at lurpiv.com.

I’d really like these to succeed but I feel like quite a bunch of things need to change for this to happen.

Paperclip20

• Rep: 139
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #1138 on: February 23, 2022, 06:56:09 AM »
Skated my set for the first time yesterday. I really liked them. They felt very carvy the way ace do but I liked the taller truck feel\pop. Coming from ventures the difference was shocking but very fun.

I know longevity is many peoples concern so I'll have to keep an eye on them. Mine came with the grub lock too which is a neat little thing.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1509
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1139 on: February 23, 2022, 09:17:13 PM »

As soon as these are up for sale, I'm buying.