Author Topic: Oskis New Truck Brand  (Read 143354 times)

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
Re: Oskis New Truck Brand
« Reply #1200 on: March 10, 2022, 10:48:30 AM »
Set up Lurpiv hangars on Ace classic baseplates. I used ace classic bushings deck side because the lurpiv bushings were too short and the hangar was sitting back weird. Ace were higher so it worked out fine. Lurpiv bushings for street side.

First impressions: They turn great. Maybe a little nicer than the Aces classics I was just skating. More specifically, they carve just as nice but seem to rebound a hair better and feel slightly more stable. I think it’s the bushing combo responsible for this, or maybe it’s just psycho somatic because I’m glad to be able to use these expensive trucks finally. Could also be a result of all the bushings involved being very new and fresh. Hard to say for sure.

The Ace baseplates are thinner than Lurpiv which takes away some of the height of the truck. They still offer a little more pop resistance than Ace (which feel very light to pop), but I think the height is pretty similar now. At least that’s how they feel, haven’t measured.

The grind is nicer than Ace classics for me and the metal is more resilient. Also, still no wheelbite which is nice.

I don’t think I would buy Lurpiv again, because of the price and the stock baseplate issues, but if you have a pair that are driving you nuts because of the baseplates, and you have some Ace lying around, this is a good way to get some use out of them. I’ll keep on running them this way until I fix the kingpin issue more permanently, though this combo actually feels better than the stock baseplates in general.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2022, 11:28:05 AM by Sundaynuggets »

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2275
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #1201 on: March 10, 2022, 04:55:10 PM »
Set up Lurpiv hangars on Ace classic baseplates. I used ace classic bushings deck side because the lurpiv bushings were too short and the hangar was sitting back weird. Ace were higher so it worked out fine. Lurpiv bushings for street side.

First impressions: They turn great. Maybe a little nicer than the Aces classics I was just skating. More specifically, they carve just as nice but seem to rebound a hair better and feel slightly more stable. I think it’s the bushing combo responsible for this, or maybe it’s just psycho somatic because I’m glad to be able to use these expensive trucks finally. Could also be a result of all the bushings involved being very new and fresh. Hard to say for sure.

The Ace baseplates are thinner than Lurpiv which takes away some of the height of the truck. They still offer a little more pop resistance than Ace (which feel very light to pop), but I think the height is pretty similar now. At least that’s how they feel, haven’t measured.

The grind is nicer than Ace classics for me and the metal is more resilient. Also, still no wheelbite which is nice.

I don’t think I would buy Lurpiv again, because of the price and the stock baseplate issues, but if you have a pair that are driving you nuts because of the baseplates, and you have some Ace lying around, this is a good way to get some use out of them. I’ll keep on running them this way until I fix the kingpin issue more permanently, though this combo actually feels better than the stock baseplates in general.
So… is it Lurpace, or Aciv?

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

logjammin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 355
« Reply #1202 on: March 11, 2022, 03:46:30 AM »
Tried these and switched back to my Aces after one sesh. No issues with the non-inverted/regular kingpins, just not for me. I don’t skate enough to invest the time required to adjust to these. If anybody wants to try a pair of 149s for below retail, PM me and we can figure something out.

Curious to know more about your experience. What was it about the Lurpiv's that you didn't like? Not as good of a turn as Ace?

DERBY

• Rep: 298
« Reply #1203 on: March 11, 2022, 05:20:10 AM »

would they work on the af1s?

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #1204 on: March 11, 2022, 06:05:43 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

would they work on the af1s?

I haven’t tried on AF1 but I have also seen Lurpiv hangars on Indy baseplates on Instagram iirc, so they would probably work on AF1 plates too. (Since classics and Indy plates both seem to work). Please share if you try them out!

manysnakes

« Reply #1205 on: March 11, 2022, 01:41:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Can someone explain to me why they would buy these and put up with the bullshit that comes with them when literally any other truck would not have those hassles? Maybe I'm just not a good skater but I cannot see a single pair of trucks magically unlocking the greatness that would be required to put up with this stuff.
[close]

I'm a truck nerd and I just think they're neat. :)

This is a great reason and I wish more people would admit it.

vicious cycle

• Rep: 166
« Reply #1206 on: March 13, 2022, 03:55:54 AM »
I don't own these trucks but I wanted to share this.
Yesterday i met a guy in a park and I realized that he is riding the lurpivs. So I talked to him and asked him how he likes them because i was considering to try them out.
He told me that he already has a replacement truck because one of his hangars broke in half.
So we went back to skating and an hour later, this happens. He tried something over a small kicker, nothing really big.. I think these trucks are dangerous..
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

Jonny7.5Alive

• Rep: 87
« Reply #1207 on: March 13, 2022, 04:28:20 AM »
Jesus

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 874
« Reply #1208 on: March 13, 2022, 05:04:36 AM »
No wonder they are trying to pivot (pun intended) to the cruiser and freestyle market.

DERBY

• Rep: 298
« Reply #1209 on: March 13, 2022, 05:40:07 AM »
i honestly had to shelve these and throw back on the af1s. i found the anti wheel bite thing hella annoying and restrictive.

IpathCats

« Reply #1210 on: March 13, 2022, 06:53:02 AM »
Yesterday i met a guy in a park and I realized that he is riding the lurpivs. So I talked to him and asked him how he likes them because i was considering to try them out.
He told me that he already has a replacement truck because one of his hangars broke in half.
So we went back to skating and an hour later, this happens. He tried something over a small kicker, nothing really big.. I think these trucks are dangerous..

Holy shit!

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1132
« Reply #1211 on: March 13, 2022, 07:34:26 AM »
I got a pair for Xmas that I only setup and road last night. They feel amazing. The turn and the grind feel great. They aren’t as heavy as I was expecting.

I’m not looking forward to my hanger falling off. Are the standard kingpins much better?

That lock but in the baseplate ruins the truck for me. Makes them feel over engineered to solve a problem no other trucks have:

Solex

• Rep: 29
« Reply #1212 on: March 13, 2022, 07:54:43 AM »

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1213 on: March 13, 2022, 08:06:06 AM »
So if they had normal axles, normal kingpins, normal nuts, they’d be great. Seems like the easiest product fixes honestly.

I didn’t get a video, but a few weeks ago I was in a local shop. A dude was in there with them and one of his axles had developed minor play. This was after having the kingpin issue and gluing the grub screw in place. Didn’t ask his weight, but a bigger dude probably 200lbs. Replaced them with Indy standard hollows.

logjammin

• Rep: 355
« Reply #1214 on: March 13, 2022, 09:24:52 AM »

Oh my god dude. This is getting bad. I'm a truck maniac but hell no, I will stay far away.

roomservice

• Rep: -209
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1215 on: March 13, 2022, 10:21:12 AM »

if this isn't the nail in the coffin for this company I don't know what is.

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 372
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1216 on: March 13, 2022, 10:40:39 AM »
If y’all want to send me $100 USD in exchange for total garbage I have your backs, and will replace any old garbage with fresh new garbage, free of charge, I promise.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

vicious cycle

« Reply #1217 on: March 13, 2022, 10:41:27 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
if this isn't the nail in the coffin for this company I don't know what is.
I also should mention that the guy was not really that big. Maybe arround 75 kg, at most.
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1218 on: March 13, 2022, 10:56:13 AM »

Fecking hell. Average sized dude? (not that it matters, just trying to wrap my head around such a colossal fuckup). I've already switched back to Indy's on account of constant loosening. And my faith in grub screws ends at holding the knobs on my guitar.

Edit: nm, just saw you said the dude was a buck sixty. Insane. 

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 707
« Reply #1219 on: March 13, 2022, 11:03:59 AM »
If y’all want to send me $100 USD in exchange for total garbage I have your backs, and will replace any old garbage with fresh new garbage, free of charge, I promise.

You can't beat this kind of service.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 874
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1220 on: March 13, 2022, 11:04:42 AM »
damn my $50 trucks never did that
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 308
« Reply #1221 on: March 13, 2022, 11:40:16 AM »
That would be that rheocasting swedish magic

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1222 on: March 13, 2022, 11:44:13 AM »
Would any of the smart materials people on here be able to tell us if this is just showing the limits of casting? I can’t think of many auto applications where casting beats forging, especially when it’s not laterally reinforced with an axle say.

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #1223 on: March 13, 2022, 04:13:53 PM »
Yikes. Ends of the axles putting internal stress on the center of the hanger maybe? They should just recall these suckers at this point.

Solex

• Rep: 29
« Reply #1224 on: March 13, 2022, 04:39:18 PM »
Yikes. Ends of the axles putting internal stress on the center of the hanger maybe?
For sure. Axle less design seems to be a bad idea...

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 714
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #1225 on: March 13, 2022, 05:01:39 PM »
Oh man, that is a really bad look. It didn’t even break where I thought they would (in the middle of the “arm” at where the axle ends). The split axle design always sounded a bit too ambitious but I didn’t know how strong this rheocasting technic was… Might also be a badly poured set too, but anyway, with a full axle this wouldn’t happen. One more nail in the coffin.  :'(

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

zozu

• Rep: 123
« Reply #1226 on: March 13, 2022, 05:12:37 PM »
YIKES

I really wanted Oski to succeed but this is just tragic. Maybe he can use his shark dunk money to recall these deathtraps.

boogs

« Reply #1227 on: March 13, 2022, 05:29:08 PM »
YIKES

I really wanted Oski to succeed but this is just tragic. Maybe he can use his shark dunk money to recall these deathtraps.
A tragic.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1509
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1228 on: March 13, 2022, 06:14:04 PM »
It'll buff out.

They'll send you a pair of pliers to pull the old axles and a drill bit to drill through the hanger and slide in a one piece axle.

All good.

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1229 on: March 13, 2022, 07:49:37 PM »
Definitely feel a bit of an ass for jumping on these so quickly. Shoulda listened to the gut. Eliminating the two biggest contributors of truck strength - chromoly through axles, and channeled hangers - seems batshit now. Rheocasting might be tough(er) but it's still aluminum. Credit for the moonshot but the shit blew up on the launch pad.