Author Topic: The Groove Report  (Read 790 times)

RottenToTheCore

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 10
The Groove Report
« on: October 22, 2021, 06:24:31 AM »
Direct rip-off of @augustmoon The Scrape Report but I needed an excuse to show my grooves :)

About 6 months worth of curbs on my 169s

disclosed

• Rep: 168
Re: The Groove Report
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2021, 06:38:33 AM »
i had a side by side pic of my truck from just before learning slappys and one month after learning them earlier this year. that shit went fast. hit axel in one month of skating curbs.

RottenToTheCore

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2021, 06:47:46 AM »
i had a side by side pic of my truck from just before learning slappys and one month after learning them earlier this year. that shit went fast. hit axel in one month of skating curbs.

It’s crazy how fast the right curbs can eat up your trucks

IpathCats

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2021, 07:43:38 AM »

It’s crazy how fast the right curbs can eat up your trucks

Feels so good

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 410
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2021, 07:57:52 AM »
Great job man. Quality fucking content right here!

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2021, 08:43:45 AM »
144s Standards up front, 149 Reynolds Hollows in back. The Reynolds are from a thrift store so they already had a little grinding in them, but the overwhelming bulk is my doing.

Ace Classic 44s. Finally retired after I realized that both trucks had developed a noticeable sag in the hanger and axle.

This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

RottenToTheCore

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2021, 08:55:10 AM »
144s Standards up front, 149 Reynolds Hollows in back. The Reynolds are from a thrift store so they already had a little grinding in them, but the overwhelming bulk is my doing.

Ace Classic 44s. Finally retired after I realized that both trucks had developed a noticeable sag in the hanger and axle.

Love that crook groove

OldCandy

• Rep: 22
  • cant shuv
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2021, 04:32:53 PM »
Nah i skate big boards cause i got big ass feet and a big ass dick

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2021, 07:35:16 PM »
The Groove Report

It has a nice ring to it.

To be fair, the other thread is more about grinding down to the axle, where as this could just be no axle showing groove in the truck type of thing.

I am happy with both.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

OldCandy

• Rep: 22
  • cant shuv
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2021, 09:09:11 PM »
The Groove Report

To be fair, the other thread is more about grinding down to the axle, where as this could just be no axle showing groove in the truck type of thing.

I am happy with both.

how do they get axled in the first place?

im a sucker for sw and reg crook grooves that look wavy
Nah i skate big boards cause i got big ass feet and a big ass dick

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2021, 10:06:15 PM »
Expand Quote
The Groove Report

I am happy with both.
[close]

how do they get axled in the first place?

im a sucker for sw and reg crook grooves that look wavy

The number of trucks that I have seen and heard people say were dead or done, when they were just a little bit grinded down / minimally used, is crazy - most being only a fraction of their life, when thinking about trucks that have lasted long enough to actually break through.

I guess more people who skate concrete edges, be it curbs, pools, or even concrete coping on transition, will grind through trucks a lot more so than people who skate nice well waxed ledges with metal edges or something similar.  One old set of mine that I only skated at a certain ramp ended up through to the axle in just one point beside the back heel wheel with the rest minimally grinded down, which most people thought really funny who saw them.  All my other boards have trucks with much more even wear, but even then with mainly transition and specific tricks, the back truck will grind down on the heel side more quickly.

A lot of guys I know take great pride in grinding a set of trucks (or more so the back truck) right down to actually having it break, but I am more of the mind that once a truck is on axle, it is perfect to retire to make into a cruiser board or even pass on to someone who doesn't grind quite so much.  Not a worry either way really - their trucks = their choice, but with a couple of sets like that, the front trucks can be recycled to use again, so it is not all bad.

Others who rotate their trucks might get a longer life out of them, but I am happy to always keep mine the same way and skate them until I have them to the point of retirement, but I don't go through trucks anywhere near as fast as some people.

The main tricks that wore my trucks down were backside 50-50s and 5-0s and frontside 5-0s (going as fast and long as I could, sitting on the heel side for all) but when I got really keen on back smith grinds on this rough coping of a ramp we used to skate, the truck would almost even out with the opposite side grinding down a lot too.

Skating curbs and slappy grinds on rough and raw curbs will eat trucks in a month or less for people who are really charging at them, sometimes one or the other, often the front truck first or both evenly.
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.