Author Topic: New royal trucks  (Read 69708 times)

Obijuan91

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 16
Re: New royal trucks
« Reply #990 on: April 09, 2024, 07:36:49 AM »
I found that the cheap dime bag bushings square up to the royal bushings exactly. I swapped in the 98A after using Bones hard but I have not skated the new bushings yet. Bones worked better than stock, which were not even skateable to me, but I'm still looking to stiffen them up even a little more.

Honestly, the ace 94s goat these trucks. I was like you and went with the pigs since they were same size but when I finally went with the aces that was it. No more bushing hunting

dublak2

• Rep: -2
« Reply #991 on: April 10, 2024, 10:43:38 AM »
just annoying that an otherwise good product gets screwed up by something as trivial as a couple of urethane donuts. I like that they are surfy/swervy like indies without the extra height. I just want to try something new and tighten them up a bit and so far I can turn right through any kingpin cranks even with the Bones hard in. I'm 235 pounds I might add, but I'm not giving up on the search for stiffer bushings nevertheless.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 997
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #992 on: April 10, 2024, 11:00:33 AM »
just annoying that an otherwise good product gets screwed up by something as trivial as a couple of urethane donuts. I like that they are surfy/swervy like indies without the extra height. I just want to try something new and tighten them up a bit and so far I can turn right through any kingpin cranks even with the Bones hard in. I'm 235 pounds I might add, but I'm not giving up on the search for stiffer bushings nevertheless.

FWIW Bones hards at my weight 192lbs compress waaaay too much (and the conical feels weird in them, like they do in ventures); ACE hards are perfect for them if you are heavier but they do break in fast and get soft - you might want to even throw in a harder top like a 100 or something - I've got a set of 96a krux (yeah, the pink ones) that are HARD AF, they feel way harder than the aces and don't compress down nearly as much, especially the top bushing.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #993 on: April 10, 2024, 04:33:18 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

FWIW Bones hards at my weight 192lbs compress waaaay too much (and the conical feels weird in them, like they do in ventures); ACE hards are perfect for them if you are heavier but they do break in fast and get soft - you might want to even throw in a harder top like a 100 or something - I've got a set of 96a krux (yeah, the pink ones) that are HARD AF, they feel way harder than the aces and don't compress down nearly as much, especially the top bushing.

easily the bushing expert on here. salute

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Get bent
« Reply #994 on: April 10, 2024, 05:30:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

easily the bushing expert on here. salute

The man has the gift, helpful everytime anyone asks about these fucking trucks…appreciate you Xen
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #995 on: April 10, 2024, 08:03:58 PM »
...I do what can!

If you've skated some Bones hards and they've compressed, you can now use the bottom as a regular top and the top as a low top in other trucks ;)

ACE/Krux hard bottom; Bones hard bottom as TOP will work great in royals (like the ace top, the bones bottom will eat up the extra/useless kingpin threads that mess with the ocd).

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1936
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #996 on: April 10, 2024, 09:19:38 PM »
...I do what can!

If you've skated some Bones hards and they've compressed, you can now use the bottom as a regular top and the top as a low top in other trucks ;)

ACE/Krux hard bottom; Bones hard bottom as TOP will work great in royals (like the ace top, the bones bottom will eat up the extra/useless kingpin threads that mess with the ocd).

I tried the Krux medium hard 92a bushings on Ventures and they were just not working for me. 1st session the bushings got tweaked in a weird position and my board roll completely to 1 side, annoying but I thought they just need more break in time. 2nd session I was getting a lot of ghost pop, I could feel the board starting to turn sharply before I popped every single time, like there was an invisible tipping point that made the truck go from straight as an arrow to twitchy turn. Tried adjusting my foot position which didn't help. Went back to stock and I didn't look back.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #997 on: April 10, 2024, 10:06:15 PM »
Expand Quote
...I do what can!

[close]

I tried the Krux medium hard 92a bushings on Ventures and they were just not working for me. 1st session the bushings got tweaked in a weird position and my board roll completely to 1 side, annoying but I thought they just need more break in time. 2nd session I was getting a lot of ghost pop, I could feel the board starting to turn sharply before I popped every single time, like there was an invisible tipping point that made the truck go from straight as an arrow to twitchy turn. Tried adjusting my foot position which didn't help. Went back to stock and I didn't look back.

[current] Krux bushings (not sure if you were using older or newer) have a taller bottom, and top, than Venture/Indy, maybe that's why they sucked? Hell, I couldn't even get all the nylock engaged on my vents with the 96a given how hard/tall they are compared to stock; I wasn't physically able to crank them down to get them flush.

Plenty of room on the Royal pins for them tho!

DonkeyRhubarb

• Rep: 4
« Reply #998 on: April 11, 2024, 06:04:27 AM »

Have you tried Shortys 100A bushings?

Fasttimes

• Rep: -32
« Reply #999 on: April 12, 2024, 02:10:30 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Try indy blacks, freeze them first, when they warm up, they mash into the hanger (pick a time when you can really run them). Same with any bushing really. Bushings are not rocket science, temperature is the mold. Krux bushings are good, but the indy ones can shape a little more with that technique from my experience, and you can re-use them for multiple hangers. Back in the day, in Thrasher I remember reading from multiple interviews, [I like new hangers and MY bushings] I believe it is an old thing that everyone did but got lost over time.

Fasttimes

• Rep: -32
« Reply #1000 on: April 12, 2024, 02:22:55 AM »

I agree with you. Maybe try hard bushings (around 100a) and use 2 bottoms and cut to height? You are right and for me to say, a lot of slappers spend too much time digging into the product. In reality all this material has been used for about 100 years, and its nothing crazy. Literally, you could probably make a mold and make your bushings for about 20 bucks if you wanted too. For twenty bucks make 100 bushings, too. I am off page here but you think Mike Sinclair sat and engineered a truck, or took his favorite baseplate and his favorite hanger and combined them. I would bet (mike call me out) he skated every relevant, single truck ever and knows what works; I don't think he sat with Rodney Mullen and CNC'd prototypes. I just think that is my valid point of how product is made, and lastly I can't wait to try slappy trucks.

@235 you need a harder bushing, but maybe use 2 bottoms and cut your own and test or DM mike sinclair? He is 215 ;)

dublak2

• Rep: -2
« Reply #1001 on: April 12, 2024, 01:54:08 PM »
I also believe that royal trucks taught me that I don't like conical bottom bushings i.e. bones

Musicaldeath107

• Rep: 122
« Reply #1002 on: April 12, 2024, 02:46:25 PM »
With everyone talking bushings...

I'm running mine with a Riptide Krank Short Street barrel and cone, with a bones washer under the bottom cup washer since the bottom bushing is too short. They feel amazing and have been my go-to trucks the last month with this setup.

I think Riptides taller barrel would be a direct fit fwiw.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1003 on: April 16, 2024, 01:07:39 PM »
I also believe that royal trucks taught me that I don't like conical bottom bushings i.e. bones

They work for some trucks (Thunder obviously), Theeve, and indy (bones+indy are great).

Royals and Ventures with bones/conical feel like shit to me; bones too loose and the hards compress too much; I didn't mind thunder bottoms (and a bones bottom as a TOP) in the royals.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #1004 on: April 16, 2024, 08:10:53 PM »
What happens if I want to put medium hardness replacement bushings in them tho?

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1005 on: April 16, 2024, 09:27:34 PM »

Uhhh You’ll have medium bushings in them?

SOoooo they’ll feel a bit tighter/more stable less squishy than stock but slightly more turny and less stable than if you used hards?

You know, ‘medium’

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1006 on: April 17, 2024, 02:26:59 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

SOoooo they’ll feel a bit tighter/more stable less squishy than stock but slightly more turny and less stable than if you used hards?

You know, ‘medium’

sorry, should have been more specific: everyone in here seems to be running hard aces so I was just wondering what the alternatives are for those wanting a medium option. I guess ace mediums is the short/ simple answer but was just curious …

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1007 on: April 17, 2024, 01:17:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

You know, ‘medium’

[close]
sorry, should have been more specific: everyone in here seems to be running hard aces so I was just wondering what the alternatives are for those wanting a medium option. I guess ace mediums is the short/ simple answer but was just curious …

Problem is the bottom bushing, it’s tall, like thunder tall so Indy and most don’t fit, if you don’t car about geo run anything.

You could run:

regular aces (mediums)
Krux 92s
Thunder

Those are the best I’ve tried.

Ace fit and feel the best (I’ve run medium aces as well)  but at 190lbs avg. I need hard bushings no matter the truck brand.

Also, royal have a long kingpin so you will always have threads showing (if that matters to you) except with Ace as the top is much taller than other truck brands.

Obijuan91

• Rep: 16
« Reply #1008 on: April 17, 2024, 06:16:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

You know, ‘medium’

[close]

The ace hards do soften up tho once they break in and still give you a solid ass turn, like a medium I’d say.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2024, 06:25:26 PM by Obijuan91 »

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1009 on: April 17, 2024, 06:45:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

You know, ‘medium’

[close]
[close]

The ace hards do soften up tho once they break in and still give you a solid ass turn, like a medium I’d say.

Yup. Like any bushing, once full broken in they're usually one 'range' below what you put in; i.e., hards become mediums, mediums become soft, etc.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1010 on: April 21, 2024, 08:57:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

You know, ‘medium’

[close]
[close]

Problem is the bottom bushing, it’s tall, like thunder tall so Indy and most don’t fit, if you don’t car about geo run anything.

You could run:

regular aces (mediums)
Krux 92s
Thunder

Ace fit and feel the best (I’ve run medium aces as well)  but at 190lbs avg. I need hard bushings no matter the truck brand.

Also, royal have a long kingpin so you will always have threads showing (if that matters to you) except with Ace as the top is much taller than other truck brands.

cheers for that, I have the inverted kingpin version which may/ may not be a good thing according to this thread...

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1011 on: April 22, 2024, 10:16:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

You know, ‘medium’

[close]
[close]

You could run:

regular aces (mediums)
Krux 92s
Thunder

[close]
cheers for that, I have the inverted kingpin version which may/ may not be a good thing according to this thread...

I never had an issue with them loosening that I could tell; I don't set and forget, i.e., I'll tighten if I'm having trouble with a manual of flat tricks and I'm wheelbiting (if that's what we're skating that day).

Slapped some broken in ACE mediums in mine and gotta say, nice change from the ACE hards...be nice to split the difference somehow, slightly harder bottom than the mediums like an 89/90 duro bottom but keep the ACE hard (94) top...hmmm I think I have tall 88a supercush bottom lying around.

ACE hards are 94/94, mediums are 91 top / 86a  bottom.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1482
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1012 on: Today at 10:43:59 AM »
I was doing a little bit of truck tinkering with my first run IKP version of the current gen royal trucks and I noticed the threads on the kingpin go further than the krux kit IKP and the ones that came with my Indy Tiago mids.

Can anyone please confirm that their royal IKP trucks also have this longer threading?