Author Topic: New Ed Templeton Interview  (Read 5258 times)

slappyflip

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 11
New Ed Templeton Interview
« on: November 16, 2021, 08:25:11 AM »
I have recently been lucky enough to ask Ed Templeton some questions for Supereight. Hyped on how it has come out, check it out!

https://www.supereight.net/the-ed-templeton-interview/

sultsult

• Rep: -12
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: New Ed Templeton Interview
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2021, 09:57:51 AM »
Good work!

stringsnthings

• Rep: -48
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2021, 11:07:51 AM »
Enjoyed it as well.

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 107
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2021, 12:11:36 PM »
Love Ed and disappointed to see some many Slappers turn on him for no good reason

Tear Up a Trick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 114
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2021, 12:19:18 PM »
Excellent interview thank you slappyflip

The real veganshawn

• Rep: 90
  • What the fuck was that
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2021, 12:25:02 PM »
Really good interview, thanks for posting.
Cocteau Twins

TMKF

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -487
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2021, 02:48:09 PM »
this guy is still around? not a fan of ed but for nostalgia sake gave it a chance...boring and predictable interview from one of the biggest disappointments in skateboarding.

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 802
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2021, 03:04:55 PM »
this guy is still around? not a fan of ed but for nostalgia sake gave it a chance...boring and predictable interview from one of the biggest disappointments in skateboarding.

nothing's been the since same

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 162
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2021, 04:59:09 PM »
think of ed when i try to impossible my fishtail
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -203
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2021, 05:57:27 PM »
It’s exciting that we’re getting another Toy video next month, Programming Injection doesn’t seem that long ago

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 335
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2021, 06:41:44 PM »
It’s exciting that we’re getting another Toy video next month, Programming Injection doesn’t seem that long ago

9 years between Brain Wash & Programming Injection. Whole game changed in that time and they just stood there and watched.

lickcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
  • breathcakes
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2021, 08:31:58 PM »
that was cool breaking it up into sections. always identified with the artsy stuff he did. too tired to add any meaningful commentary to this. great

Monopolyman

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2021, 09:16:40 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

9 years between Brain Wash & Programming Injection. Whole game changed in that time and they just stood there and watched.

Vaccine was good too though, 15 minutes sure, but that’s significant these days.

Very good interview by the way.

cherry

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 58
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2021, 03:39:40 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

True but probably made just as much off socks as most of the smaller brands that became popular

SR ACF

• Rep: -291
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2021, 03:52:46 AM »
why would people hate on Ed? been woke before most of us could spell feminism. to my mind he's one of the few true assets in skateboarding's long history of macho doucheturds.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 223
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2021, 04:36:03 AM »
why would people hate on Ed? been woke before most of us could spell feminism. to my mind he's one of the few true assets in skateboarding's long history of macho doucheturds.
I’ve loved Ed longer than most, but he did kinda tarnish his legacy there for a bit with his instagram/ Huntington Beach photos…

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

cilantro

• Rep: 44
  • human bean
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2021, 06:09:44 AM »
Love Ed and disappointed to see some many Slappers turn on him for no good reason

I had to unfollow him because his Instagram was constantly pictures of clearly underage girls bent over with emojis imitating queefs. There was more to it but that was like an every day thing

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 883
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2021, 06:20:06 AM »
Love Ed's skating, meh Ed's painting, dislike Ed's photography, hate Ed's social media.

BinkyConklinFan

• Rep: 4
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2021, 06:45:23 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I had to unfollow him because his Instagram was constantly pictures of clearly underage girls bent over with emojis imitating queefs. There was more to it but that was like an every day thing

I always thought they were farts, because I heard California girls were so gassy due to all being vegetarians.

work_lurker

• Rep: 107
  • I've never had a shaved head in my entire life
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2021, 08:29:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I always thought they were farts, because I heard California girls were so gassy due to all being vegetarians.

Yeah a law was passed a few years ago here that banned all females from eating any form of meat. That’s why California cows are happy cows.
Hopefully not a kook, but if so, fuck it.

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
  • Gnar Kook
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2021, 08:35:42 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Had to unfollow for the same

pizzafliptofakie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1960
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2021, 08:46:41 AM »
Grew up a huge Toy Machine fan and always loved Ed, but yeah, the weird IG stuff is definitely worthy of criticism. And whenever I see comments challenging it he tends to only reply about the legality of it rather than the morality. I remember one instance he posted about someone at the pier freaking out on him and calling him a creep to his face and he seemed completely incapable of understanding why someone would react that way.

Also I dunno how much involvement he had in this, but when Toy collaborated with a known rapist and got called on it, they couldn't have fumbled their reaction worse than they did. A chimp could have handled that PR better than they did.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2021, 09:25:51 AM »
Grew up a huge Toy Machine fan and always loved Ed, but yeah, the weird IG stuff is definitely worthy of criticism. And whenever I see comments challenging it he tends to only reply about the legality of it rather than the morality. I remember one instance he posted about someone at the pier freaking out on him and calling him a creep to his face and he seemed completely incapable of understanding why someone would react that way.

Also I dunno how much involvement he had in this, but when Toy collaborated with a known rapist and got called on it, they couldn't have fumbled their reaction worse than they did. A chimp could have handled that PR better than they did.

People who do photography as art tend to be pretty shitty/clueless about why people aren't that psyched on them.

conqueso

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2021, 10:11:50 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

People who do photography as art tend to be pretty shitty/clueless about why people aren't that psyched on them.

of course he is self aware enough to know. acting aloof is part of the shitck. have you seen gonz?

mushroom slice

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2021, 10:23:41 AM »
I don’t trust anyone that marries their high school
sweatheart and has never done drugs. Ed’s a creep

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2021, 11:00:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

of course he is self aware enough to know. acting aloof is part of the shitck. have you seen gonz?
I haven't seen the gonz not understand why people think it's shitty to take photos of girls barely dressed and upload them to the internet without their consent.

lickcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
  • breathcakes
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2021, 12:06:04 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

the best thing i learned from studying photograhy is 'ask for forgiveness, not permission'. apparently some people take that to heart and disregard the golden rule 'don't be an asshole'

exlurker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 558
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2021, 12:32:38 PM »

Haha, i'm really savoring the irony of this comment being posted on a skateboarding message board

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1209
  • old and in the way
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2021, 12:58:45 PM »
Nice interview!
It’s complicated with Ed Templeton. He’s championed queer equality for so long. When I was a fragile, scared kid not sure about how my sexuality would unfold, the Ed TWS interview that was so different from the other voices in skating and he really helped me. For much of the  90s homophobia was pretty much the norm and open mindedness wasn’t always well received.
So as far as all that stuff he’s got a very special place in my heart.
That being said, his social media really changed how I consider him and I’m definitely not comfortable with his behavior. Sigh.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 03:27:36 PM by funeral_tuxedo »

WarmUpZone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 480
  • I hope God makes you break your leg.
    • the Warm Up Zone - watching skate videos over and over avatar image
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2021, 01:08:02 PM »
The audience is slightly different when I sit down to do an ad, I think of the target audience being 15-year-old skater boys and I wonder what would make them laugh or get them stoked.

then, a few questions later:
I’m not sure exactly why there aren’t more females – I think the physicality and brutality of skateboarding have something to do with it. Also, the social mores that cripple girls at a young age from even starting skateboarding, such as parents and their expectations, the pressure to be feminine, etc. but those are changing quickly.

To answer one question that states clearly that you are marketing to 15 year old boys, and then to act like you don't know why women aren't involved in skateboarding (and imply they can't handle the physicality of it), is some high level mental gymnastics.

Good for sponsoring Elissa, but Toy Machine went over 20 years since Elissa quit in 1998 without sponsoring any women.
Warm Up Zone. Let's watch some skateboarding videos.