Author Topic: Why do Powell Reissues Suck?  (Read 1774 times)

KING__LIGMA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 4
  • https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=96665
Why do Powell Reissues Suck?
« on: December 27, 2021, 12:24:33 AM »
Does anybody know why Powell reissues get super soggy in such a short amount of time?
Kook Skate Legend

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2190
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
Re: Why do Powell Reissues Suck?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2021, 08:07:22 AM »
Does anybody know why Powell reissues get super soggy in such a short amount of time?
It’s birch, bitch!
Low grade product, homey.
Them shits supposed to be hung on a wall more than they’re meant to be ridden.

EDIT: additionally, the people most likely to purchase these decks are “skaters of a certain age” who are, if they’re buying a Powell reissue, in all likelihood, returning to skating after an extended hiatus.
These “enthusiasts” are considerably less likely to snap one of these lower grade decks, both because of the decks comparative girth, as well as the rider’s lack of “aggressive maneuvers.”
This allows Powell to continue with the practice of manufacturing to a lower spec for these decks.
I’ll go a step further & say that it is a small percentage of people that purchase those reissues who are actually able to ascertain flaws in their decks properties, like sogginess, or lack of pop. Most of them are being pushed down a boardwalk on cruiser wheels, or rolled around the local skatepark’s bowl in endless backside circuits from shallow to deep & back again.
TLDR: these shnitz are marketed towards nostalgia, not performance.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2021, 09:05:07 AM by Lou Strux »

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2021, 08:50:55 AM »

Up until a year or so ago they had been pressing them in-house.  Now they have moved production of the reissues to "their partner in Mexico" - and I haven't seen what woodshop that actually is or if they set up their own shop there.

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 793
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2021, 09:53:08 AM »
Why would you buy them? They are over priced and like mentioned above most if not all of the sales are dudes that are gonna hang them or flip them in bullshit FB groups for double or triple what they paid for them. Many brands make great shaped decks (polar, welcome etc). Let the dinosaurs die.

Pinkgravy

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2021, 09:54:07 AM »
My Caballero pig reissue from about 10 years ago is legit

Frank and Fred

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2021, 11:53:01 AM »
I don't know the answer but I do know some people do skate re-issues properly and hard. I've skated Santa Cruz reissues and they held up really well. Powell should manufacturer them with the assumption they are going to be skated.

biaherl

• Rep: 263
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2021, 11:58:33 AM »
dipped

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 582
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2021, 01:00:28 PM »
I don't know the answer but I do know some people do skate re-issues properly and hard. I've skated Santa Cruz reissues and they held up really well. Powell should manufacturer them with the assumption they are going to be skated.

The wood shop NHS uses is really good. I’ve skated older and newer reissues and they’ve been solid. Ordered a Lance board a while back and previously a Cab board maybe 4 or 5 years ago. They’re thick like those crappy boards you can get and lack concave. You can definitely feel the difference between that and a Roskopp or any board NHS has put out.

TLDR: Stay away from riding a Powell. NHS good.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 793
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2021, 01:22:26 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The wood shop NHS uses is really good. I’ve skated older and newer reissues and they’ve been solid. Ordered a Lance board a while back and previously a Cab board maybe 4 or 5 years ago. They’re thick like those crappy boards you can get and lack concave. You can definitely feel the difference between that and a Roskopp or any board NHS has put out.

TLDR: Stay away from riding a Powell. NHS good.

Yeah actually forgot I have a Natas evil re-issue cat set up as a cruiser. It has held up great.

KING__LIGMA

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2021, 02:58:06 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
It’s birch, bitch!

EDIT: additionally, the people most likely to purchase these decks are “skaters of a certain age” who are, if they’re buying a Powell reissue, in all likelihood, returning to skating after an extended hiatus.
These “enthusiasts” are considerably less likely to snap one of these lower grade decks, both because of the decks comparative girth, as well as the rider’s lack of “aggressive maneuvers.”
This allows Powell to continue with the practice of manufacturing to a lower spec for these decks.
I’ll go a step further & say that it is a small percentage of people that purchase those reissues who are actually able to ascertain flaws in their decks properties, like sogginess, or lack of pop. Most of them are being pushed down a boardwalk on cruiser wheels, or rolled around the local skatepark’s bowl in endless backside circuits from shallow to deep & back again.
Thanks for the info, appreciate it.
Kook Skate Legend

KING__LIGMA

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2021, 03:00:02 PM »
Why would you buy them? They are over priced and like mentioned above most if not all of the sales are dudes that are gonna hang them or flip them in bullshit FB groups for double or triple what they paid for them. Many brands make great shaped decks (polar, welcome etc). Let the dinosaurs die.
I just liked the shape, I purchased mine back in July though so I didn’t pay the 100$ that they go for now.
Kook Skate Legend

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2021, 04:44:08 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
It’s birch, bitch!

Seen a few new ones now that ended up in pieces after a few skates, so this totally makes sense.

Others I have from trade ins or whatever last forever, mostly from ten or so years ago, definitely not vintage OG era stuff, but also nothing in the last few years as I had heard and seen they were getting worse and worse from the people who were buying and actually riding them.

Might be a bit harsh, but I was thinking something like this:

Skate One (Powell / Bones) wood = no thanks, not even if it is free.

Skate One (Powell / Bones) bearings = yes please.

Gateway Hugs

• Rep: -2
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2021, 05:36:23 AM »
As mentioned above, the Mexico manufacturing might not be the best. As for comparing them to NHS though, SC reinvents the classic shapes with more of a modern concave. Powell keeps the OG formula. Collectors prefer the original shape and concave. Before the switch to Mexico, Powell wood was better than the Santa Cruz reissues. Both are better off on the wall. Mexico vs China? Who wins besides the actual companies margins?

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2021, 07:01:33 AM »

Flight are the exception to that rule.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2021, 11:08:17 AM »
As mentioned above, the Mexico manufacturing might not be the best. As for comparing them to NHS though, SC reinvents the classic shapes with more of a modern concave. Powell keeps the OG formula. Collectors prefer the original shape and concave. Before the switch to Mexico, Powell wood was better than the Santa Cruz reissues. Both are better off on the wall. Mexico vs China? Who wins besides the actual companies margins?

Not neccsarily. I have a Tom Knox with the Cruise Missle Concave or whatever its called. It has  very angular concave and staged rocker.

beandemon

• Rep: 181
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2021, 01:28:37 PM »
Cruz Missile II has the rocker. I love it, but the double kick tail is hard on my knee. The one PP reissue I have is a little dull feeling, while a non-re-ish shape I had a few years ago was nice. TheNHS reissue shapes have been good.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2021, 08:33:41 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Flight are the exception to that rule.

Ha yeah totally with some people I know who absolutely love everything about the flight construction decks, and yes they are amazing decks, but from just having a go on one here and there I am happy to stick with plain old seven wood ply with mellow BBS concave.

That is not to say that others don't have their ups and downs with everything, but the standard wood boards from Skate One just felt so weird to me, as well as quite a few others I know.

All part of the fun and individuality of skateboarding though.