Author Topic: Globe "Re Est" Skate Video (Austyn, Sammy Montano, Mark Appleyard, Aaron Kim)  (Read 5653 times)

Rockin Robbin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 432
wow smog real original
"Bake me a pie of love" - Steve Winwood

Beergarden

• Rep: 0
I like it.  Not familiar with the other dudes but they ripped.  Good on him to out out a part in short time. Austyn style is way too smooth.  I bet in person it’s that much more impressive.   The front nose to pop over the rail to fakie got my attention.   

Can someone kill the duplicate thread?

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 775
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
I don't know Austyn personally but I have always enjoyed his skating. I actually owned those globe Chelsea skate boots and I really liked them. Really nice fit, I would actually say for me personally I enjoy them more than most other slip-on models from other skate brands.

I think this guy knows Austyn personally
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

figureitout

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -142
Damn Austyn went off for his new family, that's right up there with my fav "parts" of his. Lot of great stuff in there, front/back heel, front tail fakie mannual 180, 2 lines on those perfect granite benches etc. Only thing i wasn't so into was the ride away at flushing, min you that trick is psycho and I'll never know what i'm talking about on that matter.

Rowland would still be my favorite song choice, he's had some great ones. Bill Callahan I thought worked great, still wish he used Scott Walker as mentioned in that interview (https://www.monsterchildren.com/watch-austyn-gillette-in-cheap-perfume/ )

Sammy and Aaron had some good stuff as well, i especially liked sammy's half cab flip/ bs flip. What's Arron Kim's board sponce?

From Red Bull to red wine

hahaha +1

Expand Quote
"Re. Est." as in reestablished as Austyn's vision of Globe, right? It seems like there's a decently sized Austyn vibe/curation for the brand, taking over the majority of the skate division for Globe while still having a pricepoint section for the mainstream and whatever surfing does. Too bad I can't fully shake off the feeling of the mall completes. I guess those help it stay as a big business. I bet they've hoped for a reason to switch up the direction for a while now. Also who the fucc is buying those big fat puffy shoes? And I didn't know osiris, circa, and dvs were still sellin some of that bullshit. wow.

Interesting turn this brand has taken. I'd like to see more of Former Footwear if it makes me forget the CT-IV and reminds of of Bill Callahan. Still probably going to stick to Cons though.
[close]
Globes price point shoes were actually pretty decent as in the simple vulc shoes I'd say on par with whatever vans. As far as who's buying those big puffy shoes a)nobody b)ironic cool kids c) what we would always call crusty demons. Chunky Moto X, wakeboard, jet ski type Aussie blokes who are approx 40-45 years old now. Basically Jason Ellis types.

haha spot on, tons of those fellas in Canaderrrr as well... owe you a gnar tomorrow

« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 04:39:54 PM by figureitout »

Eds_gallerist

That back heel ohhh buddy.

I was saying this exactly when watching the video. Best back heel in the game!

Big Skatefase

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 567

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1208
  • old and in the way
Austyn Gillette makes fakie bigspins and pretzels out of ledge tricks look so proper. I’m stoked he’s still got it after double knee surgery. The fs noseslide nollie backside out of the handrail was lovely <3
« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 04:51:58 PM by funeral_tuxedo »

MareVitals

• Rep: -39
Re: Austyn Gillette's "Globe Skateboarding" Part
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2022, 04:00:50 PM »
Expand Quote
austyn did some cool tricks in this.

tries too hard to look cool tho
[close]
loved it when caleb barnett called him out for being wack in his bunt episode. dude seems so corny tbh
Eh Caleb Barnett has his own cool guy image. Two sides of the same coin to me.

I like Austyns skating and this was good, but I feel like the time for the aesthetic he's pushing has passed.

Snuffledupagus

• Rep: 0

Sammy and Aaron had some good stuff as well, i especially liked sammy's half cab flip/ bs flip. What's Arron Kim's board sponce?

Homie rides for Almost

Spectre

• Rep: -40
Is this what Globe thinks skateboarding is like in 2022?  The song felt like it should have been in a movie about like a mean old man who loves a horse.  Imagine being a teenager who gets stoked on watching this and rushes to buy some Globes.  No one but the human embodiment of a Martin dreadnought who also skates would get actually stoked to skate after watching this.

Yeah don't  imagine being a teenager. I don't  get mad when a video has trendy music i don't  like cause it's  not meant  for me it's  meant for kids. There's  a lot of us out here who skate and enjoy music for the art of it. Video was awesome .

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
Expand Quote
Is this what Globe thinks skateboarding is like in 2022?  The song felt like it should have been in a movie about like a mean old man who loves a horse.  Imagine being a teenager who gets stoked on watching this and rushes to buy some Globes.  No one but the human embodiment of a Martin dreadnought who also skates would get actually stoked to skate after watching this.
[close]

Yeah don't  imagine being a teenager. I don't  get mad when a video has trendy music i don't  like cause it's  not meant  for me it's  meant for kids. There's  a lot of us out here who skate and enjoy music for the art of it. Video was awesome .

Glad you liked it. It sucked.

GeorgeCostanza

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -18
So Colllin have the same t-shirts, seven years by now, at least...

lk130

• Topic and Post Probation
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -829
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Now this is the skating I'm liking to see, gona play a Dylan Rieder video part now where It almost sounds like Johnny Cash
I need Cariuma -Me

yungxmulaxbaby

livin on a speyer

My next shoes will be Globes.

Sharky

• Rep: -39
idk what it is about Austyn's video parts but I feel like I haven't fully enjoyed one of his parts since cosmic vomit 2. Not to say he isn't shredding in all of them. They just seem to be missing a bit of character.

homicidalpsychojunglecat

• Rep: 15
Great skating but waste of a good Bill Callahan song. Didn't fit. Some wild stuff in there though.

huggs

• Rep: -16
2 lines on those perfect granite benches

yep, terrific stuff

foureyedjim

He bores me. 
But Globe seems like one of those companies where you will get paid to just chill, so good for him.  He's had a great career, and this part had some hard tricks in it. Didn't know he had double knee surgery, makes this part even more impressive.

zozu

• Rep: 127
this made me go back and watch Cheap Perfume afterwards. might have to buy a pair of old skools tomorrow.

quackquack

• Rep: -441
I actually like his front nose.

Someone should take the Karl Watson (front nose rewind) and add a flip to the rewind. Nollie frontside flips can look so bizzare that I could see the trick looking wild, like Will Marshall's front nose inward heel.
Oh, the places you'll go.

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 354
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
he has fantastic back heels. over the rail was popped huge

weird how some of y'all want core brands to succeed so bad in theory, but when push comes to shuv, you're stick to major brands.

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

Kanye Omari West

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -361
Re: Austyn Gillette's "Globe Skateboarding" Part
« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2022, 11:44:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
austyn did some cool tricks in this.

tries too hard to look cool tho
[close]
loved it when caleb barnett called him out for being wack in his bunt episode. dude seems so corny tbh
[close]
Eh Caleb Barnett has his own cool guy image. Two sides of the same coin to me.

I like Austyns skating and this was good, but I feel like the time for the aesthetic he's pushing has passed.

Definitely. Can't live in 2012 forever especially when we're a decade removed.

idk what it is about Austyn's video parts but I feel like I haven't fully enjoyed one of his parts since cosmic vomit 2. Not to say he isn't shredding in all of them. They just seem to be missing a bit of character.

Yep. I haven't really felt moved by his skating in a long long time and I can't say why. Maybe it's tied into the expired aesthetic he's working with. Seems a bit contrived.

Style Police

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 809
Austyn's style really shines on those seemingly simple but really awkward tricks. For example, I've never seen anyone do fakie back 50 fs half cab out but he made it look beautiful.

You must not watch allot of skating. Tricks been done a ton of times in video parts. Daewon was kick flipping into them in the early 2000s

2:07

« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 01:08:21 PM by Style Police »

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1067
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Faking the funk on some of those landings
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

OwlGreen

• Rep: -128
Austyn is one of the best to ever do it. Incredible talent and good trick selection. He's still pretty much at the top of his game. He back noseblunted an up-ledge at like a Maloof cup a long time ago and it blew my mind. The original 3d lineup woulda been sick.

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 754
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
I really like the shoe. I've been wanting midtop slip ons forever.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 688
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
I bet he was listening to that album after the station eleven episode. Lots of neat stuff in there. Bs and Fs heelflips in the same part might be NBD.
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 653
Expand Quote
Austyn's style really shines on those seemingly simple but really awkward tricks. For example, I've never seen anyone do fakie back 50 fs half cab out but he made it look beautiful.
[close]

You must not watch allot of skating. Tricks been done a ton of times in video parts. Daewon was kick flipping into them in the early 2000s

2:07

To be fair, I haven't seen that Daewon part yet. But also to be fair, that was not the same trick at all.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 882
I really like the shoe. I've been wanting midtop slip ons forever.
Globes been making that shoe for like 8 years. (But I get it nobody pays any attention to globe)

TheVisitor

• Rep: -13
Everyone hating on Austyn for trying too hard to be "cool" lol. If he was part of your social circle he would 100% be the coolest person you fucking know. Shut the fuck up hahah.