Poll

Are you watching GiftedHater?

Yes
No
Yes & Patreon subscribed
Fuck no
Fred Gall

Author Topic: Thoughts on Gifted Hater?  (Read 420650 times)

R3dBullRox420

Re: Thoughts on Gifted Hater?
« Reply #1080 on: November 03, 2022, 09:04:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Joa seems like a good dude and I think it's cool that he can make a living off of talking about skating. That being said, he caters to a very specific subset of extremely online skaters. In this particular echo chamber, GH videos can hold more sway than [insert more traditional skate media outlet here.] That's just how fandom of any kind works these days. There are content creators in every niche interest group that do exactly what Joa does. Upload a YT vid every 7-10 days, live stream on Twitch, offer paid content on Patreon. These people amass a considerable amount of hardcore fans who take everything the content creator says as gospel, but outside of their bubble, no one cares. That's neither special nor sustainable, and to Joa's credit, he's got no illusions that this will last. Skating is not that different from other subcultures or interest groups as we make it out to be. We put people on a pedestal for a time and then move on. It will inevitably happen to GH too, and Joa knows it. He's capitalizing on the attention he's getting at the moment, as he should. Don't count on him doing the same stuff in 5 or even 2 years though.
[close]

But what people are failing to grasp is that in this instance the fandom (GH) is more popular/has more influence than the source itself. Avengers fandom or whatever will never be as popular as the movies. The Office Ladies podcast will never be as popular as the show. NFL and your favorite football commentary show. Yet when GH reviews a skate vid or an SLS event, his vid gets more views and has more influence than the actual thing.
[close]
Louie Lopez FA part review: 74k views
Louie Lopez FA part: 120k views on YouTube + 19.1k likes (not views, safe to assume those are higher) on the FA Instagram

Hockey X review: 98k views
Hockey X: 117k views on YouTube + 165k views on Vimeo

Primitive Define review: 104k
Primitive Define: 1.3 million views

Mind Goblin review: 70k views
Mind Goblin: 448k views

@PunishedSkateboards 🤡🤡🤡
« Last Edit: November 03, 2022, 09:26:41 AM by R3dBullRox420 »

Punished Skateboards

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 61
« Reply #1081 on: November 03, 2022, 09:28:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Joa seems like a good dude and I think it's cool that he can make a living off of talking about skating. That being said, he caters to a very specific subset of extremely online skaters. In this particular echo chamber, GH videos can hold more sway than [insert more traditional skate media outlet here.] That's just how fandom of any kind works these days. There are content creators in every niche interest group that do exactly what Joa does. Upload a YT vid every 7-10 days, live stream on Twitch, offer paid content on Patreon. These people amass a considerable amount of hardcore fans who take everything the content creator says as gospel, but outside of their bubble, no one cares. That's neither special nor sustainable, and to Joa's credit, he's got no illusions that this will last. Skating is not that different from other subcultures or interest groups as we make it out to be. We put people on a pedestal for a time and then move on. It will inevitably happen to GH too, and Joa knows it. He's capitalizing on the attention he's getting at the moment, as he should. Don't count on him doing the same stuff in 5 or even 2 years though.
[close]

But what people are failing to grasp is that in this instance the fandom (GH) is more popular/has more influence than the source itself. Avengers fandom or whatever will never be as popular as the movies. The Office Ladies podcast will never be as popular as the show. NFL and your favorite football commentary show. Yet when GH reviews a skate vid or an SLS event, his vid gets more views and has more influence than the actual thing.
[close]
Louie Lopez FA part review: 74k views
Louie Lopez FA part: 120k views on YouTube + 19.1k likes (not views, safe to assume those are higher) on the FA Instagram

Hockey X review: 98k views
Hockey X: 117k views on YouTube + 165k views on Vimeo

Primitive Define review: 104k
Primitive Define: 1.3 million views

Mind Goblin review: 70k views
Mind Goblin: 448k views
[close]

@PunishedSkateboarders 🤡🤡🤡

You know he cherry picked those numbers right? Look at the original IC vlog’s numbers and then look at the two GH vids. Or any of the SLS or Berrics coverage. Or the GP coverage. Or anything else. It’s a lot closer than stat boy would lead you to believe

l1ll1ll1

• Rep: 56
« Reply #1082 on: November 03, 2022, 09:39:03 AM »
Mister read the thread on his recent stream. The feedback loop is alive and well.

HiResDes

• Rep: -39
Gifted Hater's Skater Tier List
« Reply #1083 on: November 11, 2022, 09:55:45 AM »
Seems pretty spot on, especially loved the Alex Midler take, people like to hate on him for everything outside of skating but his skating has always been rad.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 693
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Gifted Hater's Skater Tier List
« Reply #1084 on: November 11, 2022, 09:58:28 AM »
contest skater*
i watched it this morning, pretty solid list
i thought dashawn and felipe mota should have been maybe 1 tier higher but i understand why he put those guys where he did. i thought carlos riberos was place a little too high as well.

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 89
Re: Gifted Hater's Skater Tier List
« Reply #1085 on: November 11, 2022, 10:02:08 AM »
contest skater*
i thought dashawn and felipe mota should have been maybe 1 tier higher but i understand why he put those guys where he did. i thought carlos riberos was place a little too high as well.

Yea but Carlos casually won Tampa pro so he gets a stamp. Shane did too be I agree with tater that Shane is hard to root for in a contest setting.

HiResDes

« Reply #1086 on: November 11, 2022, 10:37:54 AM »
contest skater*
They always rip off Mota, but I disagree with Gifted about Mark, I think he's gotten ripped off before as well

HeavyLow

• Rep: 9
« Reply #1087 on: November 22, 2022, 01:18:36 AM »

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 648
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #1088 on: November 22, 2022, 01:29:18 AM »
The fucking shadow

yghartsyrt

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 238
« Reply #1089 on: November 22, 2022, 01:51:54 AM »

I back this. Not because of SOTY, but because it‘s still an NBD, but since he wears a different outfit on the thrasher cover, the possibility still stands he made it in the thrasher picture

bohemian

• Rep: -329
« Reply #1090 on: November 22, 2022, 03:21:27 AM »
reminds me of how the rumors spread in the late 80s of how Natas had ollied a cow. With no video or photo evidence everybody (atleast in my crew) believed it to be a real live cow. When the photo surfaced years later, this kinda made it seem not so insane lmao.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
« Reply #1091 on: November 22, 2022, 03:40:48 AM »
reminds me of how the rumors spread in the late 80s of how Natas had ollied a cow. With no video or photo evidence everybody (atleast in my crew) believed it to be a real live cow. When the photo surfaced years later, this kinda made it seem not so insane lmao.

Much funnier version of what every non Californian thinks skating picnic tables is. "How the fuck did Keenan switch flip one of these?" Then years later realise the pros are playing with Barbie furniture

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 502
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #1092 on: November 22, 2022, 03:48:47 AM »
Yeah, I remember hearing about guys ollieing picnic tables in videos in the 90s and was disappointed when I saw that they're tables for little kids. 

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 624
« Reply #1093 on: November 22, 2022, 04:17:49 AM »
Damn I didn't know I needed a 15min schizophrenic type rant today but I hella did

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 482
« Reply #1094 on: November 22, 2022, 04:34:11 AM »
At this point he owes.

There was a ten page thread about this shit a month ago.

dallou

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 173
    • Music avatar image
« Reply #1095 on: November 22, 2022, 04:40:18 AM »
At this point he owes.

He obviously could not get to that conclusion with his own eyes. thank god for the Slap avant gardiste thinkers
check my music

HiResDes

« Reply #1096 on: November 22, 2022, 05:08:05 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I back this. Not because of SOTY, but because it‘s still an NBD, but since he wears a different outfit on the thrasher cover, the possibility still stands he made it in the thrasher picture

I back this because there are much better parts and I'm tired of the popularity contest

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1097 on: November 22, 2022, 05:25:54 AM »
At this point he owes.

you're kinda right BUT i don't think the shadow argument was mentionned on Slap.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 805
« Reply #1098 on: November 22, 2022, 05:29:21 AM »
Skateboarding’s Zapruder film
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

banksandledges

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 207
« Reply #1099 on: November 22, 2022, 05:30:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I back this because there are much better parts and I'm tired of the popularity contest

Care to name a few of these “much better” parts? Genuinely curious as to what you think.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1100 on: November 22, 2022, 05:36:08 AM »
Expand Quote
At this point he owes.

[close]

you're kinda right BUT i don't think the shadow argument was mentionned on Slap.
Oh but it was

This is the start of the zapruder level analysis this mystery deserves.

I took a screenshot of each frame beginning with the first time the shadow shows up on the side of the table  and sequenced them. Do what you want with this, but it's pretty damning.

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 237
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1101 on: November 22, 2022, 05:36:39 AM »
Did anybody else see Zack Dowdy post a video titled “Dear The Gifted Hater”? The title sounds extremely cringe so I haven’t watched it but I figure maybe someone else has

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 624
« Reply #1102 on: November 22, 2022, 05:46:23 AM »
Did anybody else see Zack Dowdy post a video titled “Dear The Gifted Hater”? The title sounds extremely cringe so I haven’t watched it but I figure maybe someone else has

That dude is deep fried, don't watch his videos

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1103 on: November 22, 2022, 05:50:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
At this point he owes.

[close]

[close]
Oh but it was

Expand Quote
This is the start of the zapruder level analysis this mystery deserves.

I took a screenshot of each frame beginning with the first time the shadow shows up on the side of the table  and sequenced them. Do what you want with this, but it's pretty damning.

[close]
ah my bad
great job detective
« Last Edit: November 22, 2022, 10:07:58 AM by BALARGUE »

Tear Up a Trick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 113
« Reply #1104 on: November 22, 2022, 05:56:47 AM »

Thanks for reminding me of this.  That "ollied a cow" rumor totally circulated on the East Coast for a long time, then we saw the photos and were like, "Rad, but...."  Same with "Mike V 180'd a picnic table in the new speed wheels video."

That was the first entire GH video I watched.  Seems like he's getting a lot of views.  I think his bigger point of favoritism in the industry is needed.  And I'm rooting for TJ to win SOTY again.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 502
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #1105 on: November 22, 2022, 05:57:54 AM »
Cunt does need to acknowledge at least. He’s def snoopin scoops

dill8849

• Rep: -41
« Reply #1106 on: November 22, 2022, 06:02:47 AM »
I think two things can be true at once. Tyshawn is an amazing skateboarder with a ton of pop and that he didn't clear the top of the table completely on his switch ollie. Regardless, he's still in the running for SOTY. I can tell you one thing, you can't cheat the Subway station kickflip (unless the cover isn't an actual make but I think he made it).

FuzzGNU

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #1107 on: November 22, 2022, 06:07:03 AM »
I think two things can be true at once. Tyshawn is an amazing skateboarder with a ton of pop and that he didn't clear the top of the table completely on his switch ollie. Regardless, he's still in the running for SOTY. I can tell you one thing, you can't cheat the Subway station kickflip (unless the cover isn't an actual make but I think he made it).

I don't think Atiba would put his reputation on the kind for a weird lie like that.

Regardless I think we all agree that Tyshawn could switch ollie a table clean even if this one wasn't perfect. He should do a big fuck you to everyone here and just casually drop a clip of him doing it again with another angle lol
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1108 on: November 22, 2022, 06:29:50 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I don't think Atiba would put his reputation on the kind for a weird lie like that.

Regardless I think we all agree that Tyshawn could switch ollie a table clean even if this one wasn't perfect. He should do a big fuck you to everyone here and just casually drop a clip of him doing it again with another angle lol

This was the theory in the other thread, and I think he will, but this clip from the general kind of spoils the impact of a no BS make, doesn't it?
Sure it's nitpicking and dissecting the details, but that comes with the territory of slo-mo'ing a faker makerTM NBD

If we're giving people a pass on what they *could* do vs what they actual got on the clip, then Sheckler's BS Flip El-Toro was a make

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -314
« Reply #1109 on: November 22, 2022, 06:51:38 AM »
Credit where credit is due, the shadow argument makes a lot of sense.