Poll

Are you watching GiftedHater?

Yes
No
Yes & Patreon subscribed
Fuck no
Fred Gall

Author Topic: Thoughts on Gifted Hater?  (Read 420497 times)

Banned from the room

Re: Thoughts on Gifted Hater?
« Reply #3030 on: July 13, 2023, 05:48:53 PM »
Expand Quote
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CuovJTWNKj1/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

This Robbie video is way way cooler than anything GH has ever done
[close]

his skits of playing tecmo bowl is so legendary, as a north shore guy too I will always back Robbie

He mentioned my old band in one of his songs. I've played a few shows with sweatpant boners.

Robbie is awesome AF.

Banned from the room

« Reply #3031 on: July 13, 2023, 05:49:40 PM »
Rad Rat was the greatest skate YouTuber of all time.

I full on agree.

switchfakie

« Reply #3032 on: July 13, 2023, 07:37:32 PM »
have to say that his take on this new generation of kids not being that good across the board is spot on

muntcuscle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 44
« Reply #3033 on: July 13, 2023, 08:11:00 PM »
i think he's hilarious if you don't take it too seriously (you shouldn't)

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 502
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #3034 on: July 13, 2023, 09:48:26 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

My favorite part was when dudes all blue outfit matched the all blue ledge he was skating 8)

Dudes got the vibe of moping behind his billionaire mum around a fancy department store

rickdizzo

• Rep: 15
  • I'M THE WHITE LIAM NEESON
« Reply #3035 on: July 13, 2023, 11:02:36 PM »
he probably made some good points about carl aikens and carhartt or whatever. But the video style felt so painfully try hard ironic, with the stretched images and tiktoks, i’m sorry, i couldn’t finish it.

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 71
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #3036 on: July 14, 2023, 10:32:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

My favorite part was when dudes all blue outfit matched the all blue ledge he was skating 8)
[close]

Dudes got the vibe of moping behind his billionaire mum around a fancy department store

This was super silly. I didn‘t expect GH to like this. I am confused. Apart from two cool lines this wasn‘t really impressive. For example that line at le dome would have been an easy warm up for Flo Marfaing - 2 decades ago…
 I guess the main point was the outfits. Kinda like: “this was very impressive for a dude who is from the social media skate fashion bubble“. He compared him to the Burberry Erics of the world, Right?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2023, 12:43:04 PM by S. »

The night listener

• Rep: -163
« Reply #3037 on: July 14, 2023, 11:54:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Dressing silly and setting funny trends is as old as skateboarding itself, but it is objectively true that gigantic, double layered, 100% cotton denim pants are going to hinder athletic performance.

“Do you think local Joe can tre flip in these pants?” Got me real good.
[close]

You're spot on. However, I find the whole skate x "high fashion" thing to be so embarrassing. It just has this, "See guys? We finally got accepted by the rich kids!" vibe that blows so badly while wrapped in some kind of, "we're wealthy so we're impervious to mockery" insecurity blanket while simultaneously being so thin skinned that if anyone objects then feelings are mad hurt.

What if I genuinely like Versace?

yghartsyrt

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 238
« Reply #3038 on: July 14, 2023, 01:42:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Dressing silly and setting funny trends is as old as skateboarding itself, but it is objectively true that gigantic, double layered, 100% cotton denim pants are going to hinder athletic performance.

[close]

You're spot on. However, I find the whole skate x "high fashion" thing to be so embarrassing. It just has this, "See guys? We finally got accepted by the rich kids!" vibe that blows so badly while wrapped in some kind of, "we're wealthy so we're impervious to mockery" insecurity blanket while simultaneously being so thin skinned that if anyone objects then feelings are mad hurt.
[close]

Then you are probably a kook without taste

elbarto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #3039 on: July 14, 2023, 03:33:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I disagree. Clothing aside, VP has an insane talent that you don’t see very often and pretty damn good style to go with it.
“I’ll whoop your ass with my arm out of socket”

Shrinedescender

• Rep: 151
« Reply #3040 on: July 14, 2023, 03:43:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

The tastelessness of Versace aside, I don't think wanting to dress in high fashion is itself antithetical or counterintuitive to skating. Someone like Akwasi who dresses outside of typical skate garb and in what I would assume are some high fashion pieces is just expressing himself in a way that compliments the uniqueness of his skating. The same can probably be said about Dill in the late 90s/early 2000s. The stereotypical skater look is cool only when it's authentic. Seeing pictures of World Industries dudes and what they were wearing is cool because you can tell they lived what they wore. The thing with Robert Neal is not that he's dressing in high fashion, it's that his look is entirely reflective of an opulence and loudness of personality which we can all see he doesn't posses. He's a skateboarder who thinks he can dress like a rapper or an NBA player, and so he throws on all these gaudy pieces (with very little sense of style or creativity, I might add) in order to make himself look like something he's not. In my opinion, what makes the dude such a cornball is how boring and sterilized his skating is and how dramatically that clashes with what he wears. The only reason anyone is gonna remember this dude in skating is because he's sponsored by StockX and makes inauthetic, tryhard clothing decisions and then has outbursts online when people see right through it.

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1185
  • old and in the way

easymoneysniper

« Reply #3042 on: July 14, 2023, 05:29:55 PM »
he probably made some good points about carl aikens and carhartt or whatever. But the video style felt so painfully try hard ironic, with the stretched images and tiktoks, i’m sorry, i couldn’t finish it.
was this your first gh video? he's been try hard ironic since day 1 with those memes

Christmas Complete

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 814
  • You better shut up, Don
« Reply #3043 on: July 14, 2023, 05:38:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I disagree. Clothing aside, VP has an insane talent that you don’t see very often and pretty damn good style to go with it.

He's talking about the fashion brand, not Mr. Plug
Andy Anderson, I cannot sanction your buffoonery.

Banned from the room

« Reply #3044 on: July 14, 2023, 05:51:56 PM »

elbarto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3045 on: July 14, 2023, 06:16:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

God dammit. It’s hard work bein this stupid.
“I’ll whoop your ass with my arm out of socket”

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -528
« Reply #3046 on: July 14, 2023, 09:27:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

God dammit. It’s hard work bein this stupid.

“We make it look easy”

The night listener

• Rep: -163
« Reply #3047 on: July 14, 2023, 10:10:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

That's cool but I didn't ask you. I asked gay

yghartsyrt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 238
« Reply #3048 on: July 19, 2023, 12:54:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

That's cool but I didn't ask you. I asked gay

I’m sorry to hear about your disappointment

ggrimmedd

• Rep: 23
Gifted Hater & his influence across youtube
« Reply #3049 on: August 03, 2023, 05:33:34 AM »
With heavyweight knowledge about skateboarding, gifted hater can form images of things probably dormant in our minds, especially those who have been skating for years...

Then, people are trying to shoot to the stars and hitting streetlamps like this guy, who doesn't even know who David Gravette is, making weird connections about a topic that anyone can learn in 30 minutes and calling everything kook.

I feel like Gifted Hater opened a wormhole of people who thing they know enough to form a opinion about any shit skate related, I've literally read smarter things from the dumbest take here.

:p

sk8boardrealist

• Rep: -5
Re: Gifted Hater & his influence across youtube
« Reply #3050 on: August 03, 2023, 06:21:21 AM »
Gifted Hater is insufferable

Edit: weird to see the bunt guys in a video. Look pretty corny cosplaying as shock jocks and getting slightly defensive about the gift hater hate. Beatrice’s responses and maturity made me a fan.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2023, 06:42:30 AM by sk8boardrealist »

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -528
« Reply #3051 on: August 03, 2023, 06:31:29 AM »
“Full disclosure, I do pay for gifted haters patreon.”

You don’t fucking say, skate dad.  What other surprises do you have for us under that homemade halfcab hat of yours?

TheDingus

« Reply #3052 on: August 03, 2023, 06:32:33 AM »
Why is it always some milktoast white dude making these videos? This is the worst genre of human that walks the earth.

el hombre nieve

• Rep: -28
  • IF IT AIN’T SNOWIN’, I AIN’T GOIN
« Reply #3053 on: August 03, 2023, 06:42:56 AM »
With heavyweight knowledge about skateboarding, gifted hater can form images of things probably dormant in our minds, especially those who have been skating for years...

Then, people are trying to shoot to the stars and hitting streetlamps like this guy, who doesn't even know who David Gravette is, making weird connections about a topic that anyone can learn in 30 minutes and calling everything kook.

I feel like Gifted Hater opened a wormhole of people who thing they know enough to form a opinion about any shit skate related, I've literally read smarter things from the dumbest take here.

dude gifted hater is a fucking dork i hate him for telling the world how tyshawn didn’t clear the table even though he cleared it twice.
IF IT AIN’T SNOWIN I AIN’T GOIN

A Not At All Naughty Chemist

• Rep: 48
« Reply #3054 on: August 03, 2023, 06:44:25 AM »
With heavyweight knowledge about skateboarding

[citation needed]

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3055 on: August 03, 2023, 06:49:46 AM »
Even my mom knows who David Gravette is

... Wait a sec

disparatethoughts

• Rep: 2
« Reply #3056 on: August 03, 2023, 07:09:52 AM »
gifted hater is exactly what his name suggests, a gifted hater.

like you said, he can tap into what's dormant in the minds of those who are quite core, learned, nuanced, obsessed, whatever. lurking through obscure blogs, cultivating good taste, articulating what is antithetical to the true spirit of skateboarding, he serves a purpose as the outward manifestation of slap's/core skateboarding's shadow, for slap represents the dude who knows what's up, has a reserve of knowledge and reverence for it, but (for the most part) doesn't have the talent to translate it through their own skating for whatever reason (old, out of shape, has kids and a job, doesn't skate as much as they indulge in skate media, etc.).

so yeah, his takes are pretty on point, but much like this place, it's really quite negative (hating), although there is a lot of truth and humor in it. it's a shit ton of projection, and if that was acknowledged in the moment along with a live and let live attitude, maybe a lot of the content wouldn't even be put out. but regardless, he's a symbol, he serves his purpose as the skate nerd champion. the necessary evil, the balancing force of bullshit.

but through his takes and actual skateboard ability, he's also able to live out the dream most who share his perspective are not, a sponsored skateboarder on a core team with some of slap's favorites.

I've had the same feeling when skateboard dad popped up, and I believe it's because, as evidenced by his name, he is just the average vocal slap participant, a skate dad.

so on one hand, it's cool that he inspires people who feel him to do it their own way too, he's successful because he's not alone after all, but on the other, what comes from that may be kind of whack, but also maybe it won't. it is what it is, that's the nature of things.

anyway, I mostly like watching the videos where gifted hater just has no choice but to set aside the critiques and to marvel at true skateboarding ability, a la nigel. that's skateboarding at the end of the day, the skateboarding, regardless of whether or not I agree with the subjective takes

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 27
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3057 on: August 03, 2023, 07:11:32 AM »
Big GH fan
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

veritas

« Reply #3058 on: August 03, 2023, 07:12:44 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

dude gifted hater is a fucking dork i hate him for telling the world how tyshawn didn’t clear the table even though he cleared it twice.

As a pro skater she should just settle her beef with him by challenging him to a game of skate, then she can finally shut him up

manysnakes

« Reply #3059 on: August 03, 2023, 07:17:53 AM »
I just think it’s really cool that there’s another thread about him.