Poll

Are you watching GiftedHater?

Yes
No
Yes & Patreon subscribed
Fuck no
Fred Gall

Author Topic: Thoughts on Gifted Hater?  (Read 420591 times)

Coastal Fever

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 527
Re: Thoughts on Gifted Hater?
« Reply #3810 on: January 31, 2024, 10:12:43 AM »
Approximately 8k Americans die per day, which would be 480k in the past two months, not just from Covid, total.

thehogsniper

• Rep: 45
« Reply #3811 on: January 31, 2024, 10:15:25 AM »
ya really need to learn how to read a website, because if you're referencing the CDC website's statistics, that's a total of 1,172,229 since the pandemic began in 2020. 3.46 million people die PER YEAR in the US, so at a rate of 500,000 per month the mortality rate would have nearly doubled. That didn't happen, and everything you've said is complete bullshit.

swellbowed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 520
  • ow
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3812 on: January 31, 2024, 10:33:46 AM »
I miss when we talked pasta for about four pages. Started on page 85 for reference

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1185
  • old and in the way
« Reply #3813 on: January 31, 2024, 10:34:28 AM »
Over 1 million deaths in the last 2 months??

No. Since COVID began.

manysnakes

« Reply #3814 on: January 31, 2024, 10:36:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
“Covid is fake”
-guy wearing fingerless gloves in a closet
[close]
If he indeed said that, it explains why the video went down while I was watching it
[close]

He took it down to put it up on his main channel
[close]

I don't watch his videos often, and I don't have an opinion on that guy. I don't know if he was ironic or not, but if he means it, it's a really uneducated statement on par with most of the cringe skaters he usually makes fun of.
[close]

It was quite obviously ironic.
[close]
It wasn't obvious for me but I hope you're right.
[close]

It’s specifically intended to illicit a response from annoying scolds who still think it matters what some random YouTuber thinks about COVID.
[close]

I recognize the comedic value there, I sorta laughed, but I do worry for those among his audience who aren’t able to parse that nuance and take what Joa says as gospel.  To your point, they’re probably past help at that point, but it does make me a little sad when he includes politically charged stuff.  It doesn’t really enhance the content and makes me think he’s a bit less intelligent whenever he does.
[close]

Covid's gone, who gives a fuck what people think of it now
[close]

Over one million people have died from COVID in the US alone since December 2, dummy.
https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#datatracker-home
[close]

That's the total official deaths since the first Covid detection in late January 2020. The actual number is much higher, but there is no universe where 1.17m Americans died from Covid since December 2023.
[close]

Yes. Since Dec it’s at over a million deaths in the US. Sorry if my phrasing was confusing. I’m tired of people claiming it doesn’t exist or that it’s not still going around. The holidays saw a big spike.

Your phrasing is still confusing. Are you doubling down, or are you saying that "as of December" there were 1.17m Covid deaths? Even the link you provided is presenting numbers current to January 20, 2024, not December 2023.

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1185
  • old and in the way
« Reply #3815 on: January 31, 2024, 10:49:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
“Covid is fake”
[close]
If he indeed said that, it explains why the video went down while I was watching it
[close]

[close]

I don't watch his videos often, and I don't have an opinion on that guy. I don't know if he was ironic or not, but if he means it, it's a really uneducated statement on par with most of the cringe skaters he usually makes fun of.
[close]

[close]
[close]

It’s specifically intended to illicit a response from annoying scolds who still think it matters what some random YouTuber thinks about COVID.
[close]

I recognize the comedic value there, I sorta laughed, but I do worry for those among his audience who aren’t able to parse that nuance and take what Joa says as gospel.  To your point, they’re probably past help at that point, but it does make me a little sad when he includes politically charged stuff.  It doesn’t really enhance the content and makes me think he’s a bit less intelligent whenever he does.
[close]

[close]

Over one million people have died from COVID in the US alone since December 2, dummy.
https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#datatracker-home
[close]

That's the total official deaths since the first Covid detection in late January 2020. The actual number is much higher, but there is no universe where 1.17m Americans died from Covid since December 2023.
[close]

Yes. Since Dec it’s at over a million deaths in the US. Sorry if my phrasing was confusing. I’m tired of people claiming it doesn’t exist or that it’s not still going around. The holidays saw a big spike.
[close]

Your phrasing is still confusing. Are you doubling down, or are you saying that "as of December" there were 1.17m Covid deaths? Even the link you provided is presenting numbers current to January 20, 2024, not December 2023.
I was saying that there’s been over 1 million US COVID deaths overall as in since it began but you’re right I should’ve said Jan not Dec.

elbarto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #3816 on: January 31, 2024, 11:28:17 AM »
Man that entire fuckin rant about Jacuzzi and that J graphic... Like that's a rip of that advert, it's just a photoshop. It looks like they've just made the background lighter and airbrushed a repeated pasting of that ground texture.
Like Sci Fi has deadass done similar deck graphics before. Stable diffusion AI is not advanced as he's making it out to be to part and parcel copy an entire ass advertisement and accurately swap a beerbottle with a J and the exact same hat and jacket etc.... Like that shit requires a human hand. I've seen enough AI art of Homer Simpson wearing stone island jackets to know that shit is wack and will stay wack.

For the record I think AI art shit is wack as hell and scummy.

What's Joa's thing with Jacuzzi anyway, has he said he hates them in a stream or some shit? I know Joa copies most of his opinions from Ninja Lifestyle and I know he hates that shit.

Like regarding Jacuzzi there's bigger fish to fry regarding Louie dropping a rider because the requirement to non-stop party on camera was destroying his mental health, that shit really soured me on them.

Where are you even getting the idea that Joa listens to and is influenced by Ninja Lifestyle lmfao.. 
“I’ll whoop your ass with my arm out of socket”

elbarto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #3817 on: January 31, 2024, 11:30:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
“Covid is fake”
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

Please, tell that to my wonderful mother who works her ass off in the OVERFLOWING Covid unit at her hospital, comes home crying more often than not.. No beds available still, and she just had to TOD a 29 year old very fit and healthy lifestyle skater last month. It’s still here and very real even if your IG feed says otherwise.
“I’ll whoop your ass with my arm out of socket”

lurkluke

• Rep: 194
« Reply #3818 on: January 31, 2024, 01:38:18 PM »
I miss when we talked pasta for about four pages. Started on page 85 for reference

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/orecchiette-mushrooms-leeks-almonds

Been making this one a bit, but using wood ear fungus (typically used in Chinese cooking). It grows wild behind my house, so I go pick it fresh, boil it up, then add it into the almond oil. It soaks up all the goodness.

People don't realise that mushrooms, if you boil them first, they release all their water and the cells stay open. Then you soak them in a fat and they soak it all into their cells. Then you cook them in your dish and it maxes out the flavour. You can't over cook them either, so just boil them up. It doesn't matter.

Shtonk

• Rep: -450
« Reply #3819 on: January 31, 2024, 01:42:26 PM »
Funeral-toxedo I'm on your team when it comes to the actual facts but you need to take a second and phrase your shit more carefully. What's going on here is not a case of people WANTING to misunderstand you, your use of language is just so erratic and wrong that you end up saying a different thing than you intended.

yghartsyrt

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 238
« Reply #3820 on: January 31, 2024, 01:45:44 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Been making this one a bit, but using wood ear fungus (typically used in Chinese cooking). It grows wild behind my house, so I go pick it fresh, boil it up, then add it into the almond oil. It soaks up all the goodness.

People don't realise that mushrooms, if you boil them first, they release all their water and the cells stay open. Then you soak them in a fat and they soak it all into their cells. Then you cook them in your dish and it maxes out the flavour. You can't over cook them either, so just boil them up. It doesn't matter.

interesting. Regarding the mushrooms – how long do you need to them, before they release all their water?

lurkluke

« Reply #3821 on: January 31, 2024, 01:53:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

interesting. Regarding the mushrooms – how long do you need to them, before they release all their water?

I'm not sure on timings at all. I stick them on to boil right at the start of my cook, and then after about 10 minutes drain them. It also works super well for dried mushrooms - especially shitake which sometimes don't soak up all the water if you don't boil them.

Here's the basis for my method:

https://www.broadsheet.com.au/national/food-and-drink/article/according-chef-turned-mushroom-scientist-weve-been-cooking-mushrooms-wrong-all-time

In Australia we got baby king oyster mushrooms, that I'd boil, drain, then drop into a curry in place of meat. They'd soak it up so good. It made the best curries.

yghartsyrt

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3822 on: January 31, 2024, 01:57:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I'm not sure on timings at all. I stick them on to boil right at the start of my cook, and then after about 10 minutes drain them. It also works super well for dried mushrooms - especially shitake which sometimes don't soak up all the water if you don't boil them.

Here's the basis for my method:

https://www.broadsheet.com.au/national/food-and-drink/article/according-chef-turned-mushroom-scientist-weve-been-cooking-mushrooms-wrong-all-time

In Australia we got baby king oyster mushrooms, that I'd boil, drain, then drop into a curry in place of meat. They'd soak it up so good. It made the best curries.

Good to know. Will try it next time

Shtonk

« Reply #3823 on: January 31, 2024, 02:43:40 PM »
Any of yall ever tried that goat beard mushroom or whatever the name is that you can fry whole as a big lump as a meat replacemt and apparently it comes eerily close to steak, especially when marinated before.

manysnakes

« Reply #3824 on: January 31, 2024, 03:01:33 PM »
On Saturday, I went to the soft opening of a new Cambodian restaurant opening up the street from us, and they have a breaded and fried mushroom dish which was legitimately one of the best things I've had in recent memory. I'm salivating thinking about it.

lurkluke

« Reply #3825 on: January 31, 2024, 03:07:49 PM »
Any of yall ever tried that goat beard mushroom or whatever the name is that you can fry whole as a big lump as a meat replacemt and apparently it comes eerily close to steak, especially when marinated before.

We don't get them here - there's a similar native mushroom but I haven't tried it. I'd love to though.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1974
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #3826 on: January 31, 2024, 05:40:04 PM »
Any tips on how to upgrade my pasta game? I've tried pre-prepared sauces from the packet or bottle and aside from a few (with roasted artichokes or pesto) they leave me disappointed. I usually do a Thai (Tom Yum) or Japanese (Miso) cream pasta but I find the flavors 1 note and lack depth. I've tried mushroom, a bit of MSG powder, using actual herbs / spices but nothing elevates the flavor like I'd get in a restaurant.

Should I be using more flavored stock?
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

KrisJolson

« Reply #3827 on: January 31, 2024, 05:42:30 PM »
using pre made sauce from a bottle??  you already lost the vision fam

Candied cigarettes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 240
« Reply #3828 on: January 31, 2024, 05:54:01 PM »
Any tips on how to upgrade my pasta game? I've tried pre-prepared sauces from the packet or bottle and aside from a few (with roasted artichokes or pesto) they leave me disappointed. I usually do a Thai (Tom Yum) or Japanese (Miso) cream pasta but I find the flavors 1 note and lack depth. I've tried mushroom, a bit of MSG powder, using actual herbs / spices but nothing elevates the flavor like I'd get in a restaurant.

Damn, we eat pasta very differently. I fw with the tom yum and miso ideas. When i do a mushroom sauce i just sauté them with oil, fresh herbs and s&p then blend up with coconut milk and a little veg both and parm if i have it.

I would really recommend learning how to make good red sauce. It’s easy and cheap af. Use any canned tomatoes if you can’t afford san marzanos, although those are so good. I put onions, shit load of garlic, fresh herbs (thyme, rosemary, sage, etc., a bay leaf if I have it. Don’t skimp on the salt, and try to find another source of salt if you can. Anchovies (trust me), green olives, or even just a bit of pickle juice.

I used to make pasta al oglio which is just olive oil and garlic and red pepper flakes a lot more.

swellbowed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 520
  • ow
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3829 on: January 31, 2024, 05:59:34 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Damn, we eat pasta very differently. I fw with the tom yum and miso ideas. When i do a mushroom sauce i just sauté them with oil, fresh herbs and s&p then blend up with coconut milk and a little veg both and parm if i have it.

I would really recommend learning how to make good red sauce. It’s easy and cheap af. Use any canned tomatoes if you can’t afford san marzanos, although those are so good. I put onions, shit load of garlic, fresh herbs (thyme, rosemary, sage, etc., a bay leaf if I have it. Don’t skimp on the salt, and try to find another source of salt if you can. Anchovies (trust me), green olives, or even just a bit of pickle juice.
Back on track baby. Thanks for bringing the pasta talk back y’all. As far as ways to upgrade your pasta game, definitely try making your own sauce at home if ya can - not only does it taste better but you get the validation of making it yourself. Also, if you have a free afternoon, give making pasta from scratch a shot. Might not turn out the way you want but it’s good to experiment and try.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2024, 07:12:00 PM by swellbowed »

emotional_degloving

• Rep: 44
« Reply #3830 on: January 31, 2024, 06:30:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Man that entire fuckin rant about Jacuzzi and that J graphic... Like that's a rip of that advert, it's just a photoshop. It looks like they've just made the background lighter and airbrushed a repeated pasting of that ground texture.
Like Sci Fi has deadass done similar deck graphics before. Stable diffusion AI is not advanced as he's making it out to be to part and parcel copy an entire ass advertisement and accurately swap a beerbottle with a J and the exact same hat and jacket etc.... Like that shit requires a human hand. I've seen enough AI art of Homer Simpson wearing stone island jackets to know that shit is wack and will stay wack.

For the record I think AI art shit is wack as hell and scummy.

What's Joa's thing with Jacuzzi anyway, has he said he hates them in a stream or some shit? I know Joa copies most of his opinions from Ninja Lifestyle and I know he hates that shit.

Like regarding Jacuzzi there's bigger fish to fry regarding Louie dropping a rider because the requirement to non-stop party on camera was destroying his mental health, that shit really soured me on them.
[close]

Where are you even getting the idea that Joa listens to and is influenced by Ninja Lifestyle lmfao..

I swear, dude has fuckin said that like several times back in 2021 and shit. I know "trust me bro" isn't proof...

Edit: after watching a handful of videos and an old Jenkem interview w/ Joa- I have misremembered a bunch of shit. Joa isn't a fan of his shit but he admits that he laid the blueprint for his shtick especially when it comes to reviewing parts etc.
They got similar steez (white guy in glasses saying dumb shit and making fun of some tricks) and similar opinions and sensibilities when it comes to some shit but they're cut from different cloth.

I'll take the L and formally apologise for my sleep deprived rambling and assumptions.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2024, 06:42:43 PM by emotional_degloving »

lurkluke

« Reply #3831 on: January 31, 2024, 07:10:38 PM »

Go back to the absolute basics of pasta and don't use jarred sauces.

The best pasta recipes are like, four ingredients. But they need to be good ingredients. For example: Fettucine Alfredo should be just butter and parmesan, but takes a lot of technique to get it proper. Add a little bit of cream and you can fudge it and it'll be delicious.

Try this one:

https://www.recipetineats.com/fettuccine-alfredo/#wprm-recipe-container-25128

Also chilli flakes or chilli oil are great on all pastas.

Finally, don't fuck with tom yum or miso. You're introducing too much chaos to what should be simple. Neither of those cuisines use egg based noodles . If you are going to introduce Asian flavours, look to China (szechuan pepper, chilli oil, different mushrooms) rather than Japan or South East Asia.

yghartsyrt

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3832 on: January 31, 2024, 11:59:19 PM »

Simple tomato variant: gently heat olive oil, add a finely onion, pinch of salt, let it sit for 2-5 minutes until onions start to turn glassy. Add one extremely fine chopped carrot and one extremely finley chopped celery stick.

Toss in one or two leaves of laurel (depending on the size of the leaf)
When the veggies get soft, add one or two cloves of garlic
Let it simmer for two more minutes

Add 1/2 cup of wine (white wine makes it brighter, red white heavier).

Let the wine reduce

Add four or five diced tomatoes (preferably San marzano). You could also use canned tomatoes here. Don’t use the cheapest brand.
Add 1/2 cup of veggie stock and a teaspoon of sugar.
Put on a lid and let it simmer for at least 30 minutes (preferably longer)

Cook your pasta. Salt your water rigorously before adding the pasta (should taste like sea water)

A minute or two before the pasta ist ready and half a ladle of pasta water to the sauce. Stir in the water properly

Taste the sauce. Add salt or pepper if needed.
Add fresh basil

Done

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1974
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #3833 on: February 01, 2024, 12:15:29 AM »
Thanks for the pasta sauce recommendations, I'll give the made from scratch red sauce a shot. Fresh produce, especially good tomatoes, are expensive here in Asia and the ones from the region are watery with zero taste. Same with onions, the yellow ones we get locally add nothing flavor wise.

With fresh basil I'm always worried about the leaves going bad if I can't finish cooking them in time, I suppose I can do 1 pasta dish and maybe 1 Thai dish (Basil Pork) to finish the packet.

I think the alternative salt source like anchovies, bacon and olives are what's been missing. Same with a seafood pasta, don't have access to fresh prawns to boil the heads and shells to make a good stock so I'm stuck with frozen.

re Miso or Tom Yum pasta - some restaurants do a good one so it's definitely possible here, especially with miso paste for the umami.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

yghartsyrt

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3834 on: February 01, 2024, 12:45:59 AM »
Thanks for the pasta sauce recommendations, I'll give the made from scratch red sauce a shot. Fresh produce, especially good tomatoes, are expensive here in Asia and the ones from the region are watery with zero taste. Same with onions, the yellow ones we get locally add nothing flavor wise.

With fresh basil I'm always worried about the leaves going bad if I can't finish cooking them in time, I suppose I can do 1 pasta dish and maybe 1 Thai dish (Basil Pork) to finish the packet.

I think the alternative salt source like anchovies, bacon and olives are what's been missing. Same with a seafood pasta, don't have access to fresh prawns to boil the heads and shells to make a good stock so I'm stuck with frozen.

re Miso or Tom Yum pasta - some restaurants do a good one so it's definitely possible here, especially with miso paste for the umami.

Do yourself a favor and don’t use the Asian basil variant for pasta recipes.

Canned tomatoes do work. Alternatively you could use tomato paste and stock.

WavyDavy

• Rep: 126
« Reply #3835 on: February 01, 2024, 12:53:11 AM »
You haven't lived if you haven't tried spaghetti mayonnaise.

Also noodles with ketchup and yogurt is underrated

lurkluke

« Reply #3836 on: February 01, 2024, 01:10:31 AM »

I've had good miso pasta but the end result was closer to a char kway teow than any Italian dish. It's an intense flavour but needs to be subtle. It's real tricky.

Try some wood ear mushroom (you should find that easy, dehydrated. Maybe called "black fungus'), and crunchy chilli oil as a combo. Fry some garlic and eshallot, add the boiled wood ear (tear it up first) and then stir the noodles through with a quarter cup of the noodle water for starch. Finish with the chilli oil and a squeeze of lemon.

Try tom yum with some dried fish/shrimp and lemon. That'd probably work OK.

AsianVegan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 101
« Reply #3837 on: February 01, 2024, 04:35:19 AM »
Finishing the pasta in the pan to simmer the sauce with a cup of the salted, starchy water you cooked the pasta in is the trick. Works best if there's oil or cream or cheese (i.e fats) in the sauce already.

Try a Penne Puttanesca recipe if you're into salty and worried about waste. All of the ingredients are bought canned/in jars/brined so you can always have them in the fridge - caper's and olives and chilli, some anchovies or cured meat if thats your thing.

Shtonk

« Reply #3838 on: February 01, 2024, 02:08:37 PM »
My buddy taught me my favourite  pasta recipe but it's only simple at first glance and more for advanced cooks I'd say. Needs a lot of good timing. It's Pasta al Limoni which he calls Pasta Alimony because it got him laid so much - yeah I take my recipes from him, not the jokes...

Basically cook Pasta and meanwhile slooowly heat a bunch of chopped garlic in oil in a pan, once the garlic aromas are releasing, chuck in chilis as per your degree of masochism, and shortly after add at least one entire lemon's grated zest, better make it 1.5 and just a squeeze of lemon juice. Only let that warm up shortly then ladle in a couple swigs of the Pasta water and take off the heat. Strain the pasta just before al dente and chuck it into the sauce in the pan and stir it, really folding the pasta over on itself. After a minute or two when it's not steaming anymore and the pasta has taken in some of the liquid, put in a solid (half a standard wedge) amount of grated Parmiggiano and keep stirring to mix it all together until the sauce and cheese have mixed and soaked into the pasta so its creamy covered. Serve immediately with some fresh pepper, salt and a touch more parmigiano on top. There are loads of more complicated varieties of this dish but nothing hits the spot quite like this one when all the ingredients are just the right quality and made just right. Heaven

yghartsyrt

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3839 on: February 01, 2024, 02:19:22 PM »
My buddy taught me my favourite  pasta recipe but it's only simple at first glance and more for advanced cooks I'd say. Needs a lot of good timing. It's Pasta al Limoni which he calls Pasta Alimony because it got him laid so much - yeah I take my recipes from him, not the jokes...

Basically cook Pasta and meanwhile slooowly heat a bunch of chopped garlic in oil in a pan, once the garlic aromas are releasing, chuck in chilis as per your degree of masochism, and shortly after add at least one entire lemon's grated zest, better make it 1.5 and just a squeeze of lemon juice. Only let that warm up shortly then ladle in a couple swigs of the Pasta water and take off the heat. Strain the pasta just before al dente and chuck it into the sauce in the pan and stir it, really folding the pasta over on itself. After a minute or two when it's not steaming anymore and the pasta has taken in some of the liquid, put in a solid (half a standard wedge) amount of grated Parmiggiano and keep stirring to mix it all together until the sauce and cheese have mixed and soaked into the pasta so its creamy covered. Serve immediately with some fresh pepper, salt and a touch more parmigiano on top. There are loads of more complicated varieties of this dish but nothing hits the spot quite like this one when all the ingredients are just the right quality and made just right. Heaven

proper emulsification is easier said than done.it takes lots of practice to master such "simple" recipes. that's where some japanese culinary philosophy and italian cooking have some overlap.
Your friend's pasta recipe sounds great, something similar would be cacio e pepe or alio e oglio. at first glance super simple, but so much potential for perfection and depth. love those recipes. A proper carbonara would also fall in such category.

fuck, now I'm hungry again