Author Topic: Current AWS/ Habitat shapes  (Read 7549 times)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Current AWS/ Habitat shapes
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2022, 04:45:38 AM »

@rocklobster

That is the same board / dimensions as the one I have here, which was the Owlien when searching.

I don't think I have taken any pics of it, but here is a listing that shows side view angle with a pretty big tail.

https://www.supereight.net/shop/alien-workshop-owlien-twin-8-375-skateboard-deck/

And this one:

https://monument.pl/product-pol-17465-Deck-Alien-Warkshop-Owlien-Twin.html

« Last Edit: November 07, 2022, 04:55:30 AM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2022, 05:03:54 AM »
I'm liking the latest drop of AWS boards more than I normally do.  For the 8.25, does anyone know where that extra .25 is?  Specs on the site have it .25 longer than the typical BBS 8.25.  Just wondering if these have a longer nose, tail, or both.

All AWS boards now seem to have a shorter wheelbase and longer nose / tail for the overall length, unless they have changed again.

This one might give you what I would consider fairly accurate measurements, from one I saw a while back.

https://www.tactics.com/alien-workshop/joey-obrien-stag-825-skateboard-deck

SPECS
SIZE   8.25
WIDTH (IN):   8.25
LENGTH (IN):   32.25
WHEELBASE (IN):   14.25
NOSE (IN):   7.125
TAIL (IN):   6.875

Thebird

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2022, 05:19:28 AM »
So they lengthen the nose and tail?  Not just a larger nose?

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1925
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2022, 05:39:52 AM »
Thanks @Mbrimson88 I'll pick one up if I see it on discount, I'm a risk taker.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

231st Street

• Rep: -194
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2022, 07:42:29 AM »
So they lengthen the nose and tail?  Not just a larger nose?

Yes, both the recent AWS and Habitat I have tend to be longer nose and tail.  AWS still has some with larger wheelbase on the wider side.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2022, 08:32:51 AM »
Does habitat use the generic BBS 8.3?
Currently on an uma 8.3 and the dims seem the same and I’m pretty sure they are the same shape just curious.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2022, 09:28:25 AM »
Alien and Habitat use NO generic BBS shapes. And yes- they make the kicks very long. The Owlien Twin has a 6.875 nose/tail, which is the same length as the BBS Generic 8.38 nose. The generic tail is 6.625, so the extra length is there. On the normal decks, same thing.

Thebird

« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2022, 10:20:04 AM »
Alien and Habitat use NO generic BBS shapes. And yes- they make the kicks very long. The Owlien Twin has a 6.875 nose/tail, which is the same length as the BBS Generic 8.38 nose. The generic tail is 6.625, so the extra length is there. On the normal decks, same thing.

So are Alien and Habitat the same shapes/steepness?  Seems like Metal uses different shapes in their lineup.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2022, 06:31:42 AM »
Interesting, on paper both the habitat and Uma 8.3 looks similar but I haven’t looked at the nose tail lengths yet. Not interested in the twin shape but when I ran the 8.0-8.25 habitats I actually never felt that tails to be that off feeling.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2022, 06:54:06 AM »
I messaged Metal and they use AWS/Habitat shapes. They claim no genetics but their 8.375 looks the same dims so I dunno.

Curious how the 8.25 skates with the huge kicks and Thunders- anyone have any feedback?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2022, 04:30:21 PM »

Funny cause they seem to have changed over from the normal shapes from a while back, now only doing those longer but stubby shapes, which combined with short wheelbases makes for an interesting board, if that is what you are into.

Their older series were / used to be normal popsicles, but that is from pre pandemic days, which is almost too long ago now to count.

Shapes / sizes as follows that I had / still have:

8.375 x 32 with 14.375 wb and normal kicks, pretty much the same as the current Passport or Polar decks

8.5 x 32.25 with 14.375 wb, same exact shape as the DLX 8.5 mid size

With or without graphics, as I used to take some of those graphics off just to have a good BBS board, they still skated like DLX wood and so much better than some other boards I was trying at the time.

In looking, there is very little information out there, no catalogs or anything I could find from that period, so it might have been when Mike Hill moved away from Tum Yeto and went back to being independent, so just used generic BBS shapes until they worked out their own thing and changed over all their boards to the current stubby shapes.

The one board I could find was from the Mystery Monk series that I do still have in 8.5 but I don't have the graphic name or other info for any of the used boards or others from that period.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2022, 06:11:38 PM »
I messaged Metal and they use AWS/Habitat shapes. They claim no genetics but their 8.375 looks the same dims so I dunno.

Curious how the 8.25 skates with the huge kicks and Thunders- anyone have any feedback?

My friend swears by that combination, last 6 boards have been AWS / Habitat 8.25 with Thunder 148 Hollow Lights.

Re the 8.38 off their website:
AWS 8.38 x 32.25 x 14.25 (https://www.alienworkshop.com/products/joey-flight-instructor-8-125-8-375?variant=40506791788708)
Metal 8.38 x 32.0 x 14.38 (https://www.metalskateboards.com/products/ancient-logo-medium-8-375)

Funny cause they seem to have changed over from the normal shapes from a while back, now only doing those longer but stubby shapes, which combined with short wheelbases makes for an interesting board, if that is what you are into.

Their older series were / used to be normal popsicles, but that is from pre pandemic days, which is almost too long ago now to count.

Shapes / sizes as follows that I had / still have:

8.375 x 32 with 14.375 wb and normal kicks, pretty much the same as the current Passport or Polar decks

8.5 x 32.25 with 14.375 wb, same exact shape as the DLX 8.5 mid size

With or without graphics, as I used to take some of those graphics off just to have a good BBS board, they still skated like DLX wood and so much better than some other boards I was trying at the time.

In looking, there is very little information out there, no catalogs or anything I could find from that period, so it might have been when Mike Hill moved away from Tum Yeto and went back to being independent, so just used generic BBS shapes until they worked out their own thing and changed over all their boards to the current stubby shapes.

The one board I could find was from the Mystery Monk series that I do still have in 8.5 but I don't have the graphic name or other info for any of the used boards or others from that period.

They've used a lot of woodshops in the past few years, the Twin Peaks decks are PS Stix (https://habitatskateboards.com/products/twin-peaks-diorama-4-deck-set) and the NASA series has been PS Stix https://habitatskateboards.com/products/nasa-logo-array-white-8-0) and DSM.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

231st Street

« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2022, 04:31:24 AM »
Anyone skate the Metal or AWS egg style boards that have come out recently?   What trucks would you run on a 9 ish egg.  Currently on Alien 8.75 and Habitat 8 alternatingly and hoping the egg will be a good middle ground and maybe can use Indys off the 8.75.

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2022, 09:44:50 AM »
Anyone skate the Metal or AWS egg style boards that have come out recently?   What trucks would you run on a 9 ish egg.  Currently on Alien 8.75 and Habitat 8 alternatingly and hoping the egg will be a good middle ground and maybe can use Indys off the 8.75.
I recently had the Gall 9.0 egg and used it with Ace AF1 low 60s (8.75). That was a perfect fit, i just hated how steep the concave was on the deck (i posted it in the setup thread a few weeks back)

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 319
  • rest in peace Loaf
« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2022, 01:41:21 PM »
I'm skating the board linked below right now with some Venture 5.2 low forged hollows and 48mm spitfires. The nose and tail are pretty squared, this is the first board that is as squared as this that I've skated and I dig it so far. I'm about 5-10 hours of collective skating into the board and the wood is holding up well, although it has begun to develop pressure cracks within the last session or two so it's starting to flex a bit more. That isn't really a weak point for me, I prefer my boards to be a bit more flexy than stiff but I suppose it's worth noting anyways. It's on sale right now so if you're in the market for an 8 incher and like square tips I would recommend it.

https://habitatskateboards.com/products/tri-color-pod-8-0-p-b-1

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

231st Street

« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2022, 02:34:18 PM »
Anyone skate the metal 8.625. Is it an alien shape?

231st Street

« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2023, 04:30:43 AM »
Some ridden and unridden recent AWS and habitats, with random pennswood hydrodipped for the kids for good measure in my home office.

Thebird

« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2023, 05:02:43 AM »
Some ridden and unridden recent AWS and habitats, with random pennswood hydrodipped for the kids for good measure in my home office.

That is a good looking wall of boards.  Probably my favorite decks at the current time.  I love the 8.25 x 32.25 x 14.25. 

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2023, 06:46:04 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That is a good looking wall of boards.  Probably my favorite decks at the current time.  I love the 8.25 x 32.25 x 14.25.

It took a while to get used to the longer tail (6.875 vs 6.5") but it's growing on me, the friends who rode them agreed the timing for their pop was off and felt heavier than usual. The nose is really nice too, like a more forgiving FA without the steepness or squareness.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

231st Street

« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2023, 06:53:06 AM »

And the current family daily basement quarter session riders (im on the 8.75 which I just replaced, son (6) on the spectrum complete, daughter (3) on the magenta 90s style hand me down

Thebird

« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2023, 08:41:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

It took a while to get used to the longer tail (6.875 vs 6.5") but it's growing on me, the friends who rode them agreed the timing for their pop was off and felt heavier than usual. The nose is really nice too, like a more forgiving FA without the steepness or squareness.

Agree - I think the nose is perfect.  The longer tail clicked for me almost immediately.  This deck paired with Ventures feels perfect.

231st Street

« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2023, 02:07:04 PM »
Next on my list as I have a lot of smaller boards right now is hoping alien comes out with a 9+ inch egg.  Metal and Alien both have eggs right now, but im worried they will be too small for me at 8.75 eggs for a "big board" given im used to the roomier alien noses and tails.

SlapMcKracken

• Rep: 92
« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2023, 12:35:42 AM »
Are aws still bbs Decks? Which ones are?

commander jameson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2023, 01:36:13 AM »

Depends where in the world you are.

In US pro decks and twins should be BBS, team decks most likely China.
You can recognize BBS decks by red/white or black/white warning sticker on top ply saying 'Made in Mexico'.
Examples of BBS made Alien and Habitat decks
https://www.tactics.com/alien-workshop/spears-bully-8375-twin-tail-shape-skateboard-deck
https://www.tactics.com/habitat/suciu-lone-wolf-8375-twin-tail-skateboard-deck

Some older Alien and Habitat decks were made by PS Stix and can be recognized by laser engraved serial number on top ply and 'made in Mexico' sticker.

China decks usually have bottom ply silver sticker with hand saying 'made with premium north American maple and glue'.
Example of China made Habitat
https://www.tactics.com/habitat/mosaic-20-8375-twin-tail-skateboard-deck
There are still bunch of China made pro decks in circulation and shapes and concave seems to be same like on BBS made decks.

For Europe, latest batch of decks seems to be China ones.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2023, 01:38:06 AM »

I dropped AWS insta a DM (like a man) to ask if they were still making boards with BBS.

The few I have at home still have the black and white made in Mexico sticker.  Primitive and Element use a combination of BBS and China boards, could have been stock that was sent for production in late 2021 / mid 2022 since the lead time between dealer catalog release and when those specific graphics go on sale is at least 3-6 months in advance.

Edit from AWS:
BBS - pro models from Habitat / Metal / AWS, Twin Tail
PS Stix - Austyn Gillette pro model with wheel wells
Logo decks - recent ones like the Logo Hex embossed are DSM, older ones before 2023 are BBS (my guess)

From the woodshop thread, I used to assume if it has the AWS logo top marking they'd be BBS, but apparently not. Some of the older ones still have the black and white Made In Mexico sticker which are BBS.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2023, 04:58:25 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You can recognize BBS decks by red/white or black/white warning sticker on top ply saying 'Made in Mexico'.
https://www.tactics.com/alien-workshop/spears-bully-8375-twin-tail-shape-skateboard-deck

Some older Alien and Habitat decks were made by PS Stix and can be recognized by laser engraved serial number on top ply and 'made in Mexico' sticker.

China decks usually have bottom ply silver sticker with hand saying 'made with premium north American maple and glue'.
There are still bunch of China made pro decks in circulation and shapes and concave seems to be same like on BBS made decks.

Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
I dropped AWS insta a DM (like a man) to ask if they were still making boards with BBS.

The few I have at home still have the black and white made in Mexico sticker.  Primitive and Element use a combination of BBS and China boards, could have been stock that was sent for production in late 2021 / mid 2022 since the lead time between dealer catalog release and when those specific graphics go on sale is at least 3-6 months in advance.

Edit from AWS:
Logo decks - recent ones like the Logo Hex embossed are DSM, older ones before 2023 are BBS (my guess)
[close]

From the woodshop thread, I used to assume if it has the AWS logo top marking they'd be BBS, but apparently not. Some of the older ones still have the black and white Made In Mexico sticker which are BBS.

All of that would be very useful in the Woodshop thread, if I can quote to there, or you guys just post in that thread too?

Not a worry either way, but it definitely helps having it all in the one place:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=120409.750

commander jameson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2023, 07:52:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote

Edit from AWS:
[close]

[close]

All of that would be very useful in the Woodshop thread, if I can quote to there, or you guys just post in that thread too?

Not a worry either way, but it definitely helps having it all in the one place:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=120409.750
I don't have problem with being quoted in another thread. I'm glad that this info can help others.

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2023, 08:49:58 AM »
And the shapes differ too from where they were made?
That would suck. I want a brand where I have staple wood supplier and shape.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2023, 09:11:24 AM »
Good sleuthing @commander jameson, I assumed the Twin Tails were BBS based on what Habitat mentioned in their DM, but I noticed they were missing the black and white Made in Mexico sticker, instead having the silver one. DSM is the only woodshop that proudly mentions Epoxy in their product descriptions.

Regarding the shapes I'll let you know in a few weeks, ordered some Habitat / AWS twins to try out.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2023, 10:38:19 AM »
Good sleuthing @commander jameson, I assumed the Twin Tails were BBS based on what Habitat mentioned in their DM, but I noticed they were missing the black and white Made in Mexico sticker, instead having the silver one. DSM is the only woodshop that proudly mentions Epoxy in their product descriptions.

Regarding the shapes I'll let you know in a few weeks, ordered some Habitat / AWS twins to try out.

Cool, thanks!