Author Topic: Current AWS/ Habitat shapes  (Read 7499 times)

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Gnar Kook
Current AWS/ Habitat shapes
« on: January 25, 2022, 09:38:03 AM »
So, are their current shapes more square nose/tail or still pointy'ish nose/ tail? I haven't been to my local shop in a while - I don't think they have any currently. Historically, old AWS/ Habitat are my favorite boards ever, but have not had one in a long time. Kinda want to hit those up again, but I'm not into squared noses or tails. Thanks in advance

LebowskisRug

Re: Current AWS/ Habitat shapes
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2022, 09:53:11 AM »
The ones I have seen are pretty damn squared.

FrontsideFrank

• Rep: 101
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2022, 09:57:54 AM »
The last one i bought (8.75 visitor graphic about 2 months ago) had a squared nose and tail.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2022, 10:02:37 AM »
I saw a 7.6" and 7.75" at a shop and they both had the blunt nose. So it seems to be across sizes. Very annoying.

twic3

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 14
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2022, 10:12:45 AM »
I had a AWS 8.1 that had a normal nose but the tail wasnt tapered as much. This was before habitat took over AWS though

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2022, 10:26:27 AM »
I had a AWS 8.1 that had a normal nose but the tail wasnt tapered as much. This was before habitat took over AWS though

Yeah, even when they were briefly under Tum Yeto (when they first came back) they still had a pretty normal tapered pop shape. I even had a couple 8.38"s that were borderline pointy then.

gsosa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 290
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2022, 10:50:07 AM »
The 8.25s at least are pretty squared.

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2022, 10:56:21 AM »
I saw a 7.6" and 7.75" at a shop and they both had the blunt nose. So it seems to be across sizes. Very annoying.

¦:*(  *  *  *  *  *  *

Rocko

• Rep: 38
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2022, 11:57:15 AM »
Can confirm 7.875 and 8 have a big squared nose
« Last Edit: January 25, 2022, 12:05:21 PM by Rocko »

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 115
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2022, 02:18:51 PM »
Got an 8.125 Alien right now and it’s a pretty full shape but I would not call it square. Definitely not nothing like a FA/Hockey

FUBAR

• Rep: 231
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2022, 03:43:27 PM »
Ive skated three of the 8.25s in the last year…”full” is a great description

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2022, 05:42:32 AM »
So, are their current shapes more square nose/tail or still pointy'ish nose/ tail? I haven't been to my local shop in a while - I don't think they have any currently. Historically, old AWS/ Habitat are my favorite boards ever, but have not had one in a long time. Kinda want to hit those up again, but I'm not into squared noses or tails. Thanks in advance

A few places might have different stock, as there do seem to be some different shapes out there, either old stock or those shops have stock from somewhere other than BBS - EU and South America are on other wood - but in USA and here in AU it is all BBS and most of the boards I had seen recently were all in that longer blunt shape with shorter wheelbases, so quite long kicks.

I did think that a couple of the smaller boards 8" or less didn't have that same shape, but they could be old stock too.

Tucked away are quite a few older AWS decks, all BBS and all the more normal shapes in 8.38 and 8.5 as I got rid of the blunt shapes after I realised I didn't like them, but others I know do really like them and are getting more, so even though you and I don't like them, they do seem popular.

Now they seem to be releasing more "classic graphic options" I can see your yearning for those boards, as they were amazing back in the day, whenever I could find any (and could afford them).

https://www.alienworkshop.com/collections/decks

https://www.alienworkshop.com/collections/decks/products/polaroid-93-redux-7-625

Guessing this one at 7.625 is a bit too narrow for you, but it looks more pointy and is on sale too.

$50 Sale / checkout code: FIFTY

There is a 7.75 on sale too, which also looks normal, not squared off at all.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2022, 06:06:02 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

A few places might have different stock, as there do seem to be some different shapes out there, either old stock or those shops have stock from somewhere other than BBS - EU and South America are on other wood - but in USA and here in AU it is all BBS and most of the boards I had seen recently were all in that longer blunt shape with shorter wheelbases, so quite long kicks.

I did think that a couple of the smaller boards 8" or less didn't have that same shape, but they could be old stock too.

Tucked away are quite a few older AWS decks, all BBS and all the more normal shapes in 8.38 and 8.5 as I got rid of the blunt shapes after I realised I didn't like them, but others I know do really like them and are getting more, so even though you and I don't like them, they do seem popular.

Now they seem to be releasing more "classic graphic options" I can see your yearning for those boards, as they were amazing back in the day, whenever I could find any (and could afford them).

https://www.alienworkshop.com/collections/decks/products/polaroid-93-redux-7-625

Guessing this one at 7.625 is a bit too narrow for you, but it looks more pointy and is on sale too.

I don't want to be a naysayer, but I swear the polaroid 7.6" I saw at the shop had the blunt nose. I will see if it is still there and take a top pic later this week, but that one above does indeed have a nice classic shape.

Also worth mentioning, I'm pretty sure I've seen some DSM-pressed AWS boards for the euro market (regrowth stamp) that have the classic shape.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 567
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2022, 07:47:26 AM »
Got an 8.125 Alien right now and it’s a pretty full shape but I would not call it square. Definitely not nothing like a FA/Hockey

Yeah agreed. I loved the Alien 7.875s I skated last year.

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2022, 08:04:26 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Those are basically the 2 sizes I use (except football/egg shapes). I did not join the 8" GANG ! I mostly skated AWS/then Habitat 7.625s from like 96-04. May check deez out

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2022, 03:09:34 PM »

Those are basically the 2 sizes I use (except football/egg shapes). I did not join the 8" GANG ! I mostly skated AWS/then Habitat 7.625s from like 96-04. May check deez out

Re sizes, yes that is why I put those up for you.

From the AWS shop, there are five (5) of the 7.625 and one (1) of the 7.75 deck sizes remaining.

Also this might just be nothing more than a guess, but I am thinking that size board just does not move as fast as many other sizes (read 8+ boards) so they might be older stock which they are clearing out, given all their boards seem to now be going the way of the blunt shapes.

Other places might have the newer shapes in stock.

There are definitely some other AWS boards out there, but I don't think there would be that many in USA from other places, mainly the Dwindle AWS boards being noted in the EU and Asian areas, from what I could see.

SlapMcKracken

• Rep: 90
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2022, 04:15:38 PM »
So the AWS / habitat are not similar too fa/hockey shapes?

Riding my first hockey rn and I like it a lot.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2022, 04:41:51 PM »
So the AWS / habitat are not similar too fa/hockey shapes?

Riding my first hockey rn and I like it a lot.

Some are closer, but you need to get the right shape (square/full) and most commonly in the 8.25/8.125"; from what I have gathered nothing comes close to the FA/Hockey shapes.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 06:23:13 PM by Xen »

GT

• Rep: -17
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2022, 05:15:36 PM »

7.6 alien 14.1 WB by the way
7.5 girl

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2022, 06:54:56 PM »
Hmm looks decent in that picture. Thanks for the pic. Girl looks a bit more pointy maybe? Looks pretty regular shaped to me, which works

pterra

• Rep: 5
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2022, 02:45:19 PM »

Also a huge fan of older Habitat/Alien boards. I got a run of decks printed recently by Woodchuck Laminates with my friend's artwork. They claim on their site that their shape was developed by Habitat/Alien team riders in 2009 and I have to say that I am really digging the shape a lot. I just put the first one on last week and it's feeling incredible so far.

pterraskateco.bigcartel.com Use code SLAP for $10 off (essentially free shipping US only). Anything I get back over my investment on boards goes to the US Forest Service's Plant-A-Tree program. Just 8.25 and 8.5 at the moment as those are the sizes the people I film with and I skate.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 974
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2022, 02:23:30 AM »
link to habitat 8.125 shape
https://upriseskateshop.com/collections/decks/products/suciu-quartus-deck-gray-8-125?variant=42682724122839

Habitat Skateboards
Skateboard Deck
Suciu - Quartus Deck
Gray
8.125 X 31.5 WB 14.0

Was that the one that was supposed to be the twin kick shape, or am I thinking of something else?

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 390
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2022, 04:58:04 AM »

Habitat Skateboards
Skateboard Deck
Suciu - Quartus Deck
Gray
8.125 X 31.5 WB 14.0

Was that the one that was supposed to be the twin kick shape, or am I thinking of something else?
I think the twin kick was like 8.3 with a 14.3 ish wheel base if I remember but I could be confusing it with another one

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 974
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2022, 05:07:34 PM »
Expand Quote

Habitat Skateboards
Skateboard Deck
Suciu - Quartus Deck
Gray
8.125 X 31.5 WB 14.0

[close]
I think the twin kick was like 8.3 with a 14.3 ish wheel base if I remember but I could be confusing it with another one

Somewhere in my muddled mind, I was thinking they were doing a smaller one too, but you are right, the other that started with the Owlien which I have is 8.375 x 32.2 with the 14.375 wb or something like that.

Felt like I read somewhere a few guys were riding that twin shape for a bit but then they wanted a bit more scaled down version too, but I couldn't find it when I went looking.

Still very squared off ends as per the standard AWS / Habitat shapes for the current era.  Shorter wheelbases and longer kicks, but maybe not quite so long on that one.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Skatebeard

• Rep: 129
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2022, 12:35:56 AM »
the 7.875 is fairly pointy relative to their other shapes. Full nose but pointy tail. 14" WB.

Nice deck, I'd happily skate another.

thespacewolf

• Rep: 10
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2022, 11:44:18 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Also a huge fan of older Habitat/Alien boards. I got a run of decks printed recently by Woodchuck Laminates with my friend's artwork. They claim on their site that their shape was developed by Habitat/Alien team riders in 2009 and I have to say that I am really digging the shape a lot. I just put the first one on last week and it's feeling incredible so far.

pterraskateco.bigcartel.com Use code SLAP for $10 off (essentially free shipping US only). Anything I get back over my investment on boards goes to the US Forest Service's Plant-A-Tree program. Just 8.25 and 8.5 at the moment as those are the sizes the people I film with and I skate.
How was the production/process for getting these made? Were you able to figure out what size you wanted or could you only stick to their premade shapes?

SpuytenDuvyilEphemera

• Rep: -172
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2022, 11:32:35 AM »
Real question-- why does AWS/Habitat currently get so much hate as a "fake" company.  Ive seen that a bunch on slap, though out in the world where I am on east coast I still see theM (and like the 8 inch 14 inch wheelbase as my regular ride).  Is the issue too many east coasters in there 30s still into it, or the Dyrdek years and collapse?  Seems kind of irrelevant to the current teams/video production which I thought has been great in last few years.  Putting that aside, they are almost always on sale (i.e., easily can find them 40-50 online for good BBS wood). Why the hate?  For what its worth for those on here, the 8 inch feels very similar to the classic late 90s alien shapes.  The nose is comfortable but not totally square (in my view)-- that said I dont remember the pointy alien era.  I have one of the 7.75 minor's logos as well and dont think the nose seems strange on that-- if anything feels solid considering its a 14 inch wheelbase versus other 7.75s I've seen recently that collapsed like toys or had a stretched out wheelbase .

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2022, 03:45:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Habitat Skateboards
Skateboard Deck
Suciu - Quartus Deck
Gray
8.125 X 31.5 WB 14.0

[close]
[close]

Somewhere in my muddled mind, I was thinking they were doing a smaller one too, but you are right, the other that started with the Owlien which I have is 8.375 x 32.2 with the 14.375 wb or something like that.

Felt like I read somewhere a few guys were riding that twin shape for a bit but then they wanted a bit more scaled down version too, but I couldn't find it when I went looking.

Still very squared off ends as per the standard AWS / Habitat shapes for the current era.  Shorter wheelbases and longer kicks, but maybe not quite so long on that one.

That SovSect twin is just a huge boat. I didn’t care for the length with that WB and kick dims. If they made their 8.25 a twin with that WB it would be stellar…or the 8.375 say, 31.875” it might work, but big square kick twins feel much bigger than pointy/rounded twins.

Imagine an 8.5 FA twin vs and 8.5 dlx twin using their standard 8.5 dims, massive difference.

Thebird

• Rep: 152
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2022, 09:58:14 PM »
I'm liking the latest drop of AWS boards more than I normally do.  For the 8.25, does anyone know where that extra .25 is?  Specs on the site have it .25 longer than the typical BBS 8.25.  Just wondering if these have a longer nose, tail, or both.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2022, 12:09:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Habitat Skateboards
Skateboard Deck
Suciu - Quartus Deck
Gray
8.125 X 31.5 WB 14.0

[close]
[close]

[close]

That SovSect twin is just a huge boat. I didn’t care for the length with that WB and kick dims. If they made their 8.25 a twin with that WB it would be stellar…or the 8.375 say, 31.875” it might work, but big square kick twins feel much bigger than pointy/rounded twins.

Imagine an 8.5 FA twin vs and 8.5 dlx twin using their standard 8.5 dims, massive difference.

Are you referring to the Suciu custom twin tip shape? If the dims on Tactics are accurate that is a massive nose / tail, but would go right with Venture forged.

https://www.tactics.com/habitat/suciu-lone-wolf-8375-twin-tail-skateboard-deck

Was planning on trying 1 out, if you got pics that would be helpful.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m