Author Topic: Most overrated skater in Slap  (Read 6235 times)

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1240
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Most overrated skater in Slap
« Reply #60 on: January 31, 2022, 06:34:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
^I agree

I'll add K Rod on here. The fact that he did a boardslide shuvit out on a ledge and that was a pro trick to put in a video was hilariously bad.
[close]
You and I both know that wasnt a normal ass ledge lol
[close]

Some people here really reach for the stars when looking for reasons to talk down on a pro lol.

My 2 cents to this thread is that Heitor and that dude that just closed the new Chocolate video do absolutely nothing for me. Their skating seems so god damn pretentious and if they had skinnier pants on Slap would hate them. That being said, they both have gotten a “wow” or a “that was sick” from me a couple times but I can’t even remember what tricks were done to warrant that reaction, nothing sticks out to me.

@elbarto What about Heitor’s skating is pretentious?  Genuine question because I don’t see what you are seeing.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

conqueso

« Reply #61 on: January 31, 2022, 06:43:24 PM »
sorry but AO's style on a board is not nearly as distinctive or unique as gino

you know he prolly eats nothin but bean sprouts n yogurt

gino is more like a dry aged steak with a glass of fine scotch

bigbevev

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -14
« Reply #62 on: January 31, 2022, 07:08:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Nick Stain
[close]

I like Nik Stain, I like his fast approach to skating but I think he can do a bit more. His bag of tricks is samey. Maybe people just tell him “you do these tricks with good style. Do only those tricks.”

Edit: Though that kinky 50-50 in Mind Goblin was a cool surprise.

You gotta see him skate transition, also samey at times but his backside O, and tailslide are amazing.

keepthefunkalive

• Rep: 129
« Reply #63 on: January 31, 2022, 07:29:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
^I agree

I'll add K Rod on here. The fact that he did a boardslide shuvit out on a ledge and that was a pro trick to put in a video was hilariously bad.
[close]
[close]

Some people here really reach for the stars when looking for reasons to talk down on a pro lol.

My 2 cents to this thread is that Heitor and that dude that just closed the new Chocolate video do absolutely nothing for me. Their skating seems so god damn pretentious and if they had skinnier pants on Slap would hate them. That being said, they both have gotten a “wow” or a “that was sick” from me a couple times but I can’t even remember what tricks were done to warrant that reaction, nothing sticks out to me.
[close]

@elbarto What about Heitor’s skating is pretentious?  Genuine question because I don’t see what you are seeing.

I personally like Heitor's skating, but sometimes it looks like he's fakin the funk here and there. The steez might be a bit forced looking. But like I said, I dig his parts.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #64 on: January 31, 2022, 07:38:40 PM »
@Lenny the Fatface 

Dude that’s awesome, would gnar if I could.

somesortofspin

• Rep: -80
« Reply #65 on: January 31, 2022, 07:45:58 PM »
Gino overrated, fred gall overrated

just whoever dill thinks needs a fa guest board. that the guy who's overrated on skate hipster website

there have been better tricks down hubba hideout in the 90s

whoever thinks switch means harder probably thinks Thiago can do normal back tails as high as switch

Alex Olson is great
« Last Edit: January 31, 2022, 08:31:22 PM by somesortofspin »

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2593
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #66 on: January 31, 2022, 08:26:50 PM »
- That collection of Instagram footy that turned into his magnum opus somehow

Good shout. I keep returning to it more than his other parts, tbh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11IJU8k3Rr4
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #67 on: January 31, 2022, 08:33:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
^I agree

[close]
[close]

vincent alvarez? pretentious? also i don’t think i’ve seen a single person on slap give him anything beyond measured
respect, so overrated feels pretty overstated

3D X-Ray Vision

« Reply #68 on: January 31, 2022, 09:01:06 PM »
He means Carl Aikens

elbarto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 34
« Reply #69 on: January 31, 2022, 09:04:39 PM »
He means Carl Aikens

I totally did, fuck lmao. And I’m sure they’re great dudes, but whoever mentioned “faking the funk” nailed it as to why I can’t get into them. Maybe that’s what I meant by pretentious. Idk, my opinion really doesn’t matter and I am genuinely stoked for anyone making it in the industry.
“I’ll whoop your ass with my arm out of socket”

somesortofspin

« Reply #70 on: January 31, 2022, 09:12:40 PM »
how to be overrated:

- skate in a time barley anyone remembers who's on a website arguing about skateboarding

- party animal = everyone loves you. dont need skill

- skate crusty spots. you cant look good on a basic spot? ride down a street full of pebbles and act like you are constantly in danger

- wear the right gear. habitat, ipath = white people feeling ethnic

- video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

- do tricks switch. people will think your bag of tricks is insanly large if you do switch tricks. normal idiot thinks everythings harder switch.

- have the right industry friends from touring and being a party animal that will put your name over thousand skater who were better around that time to make it seem like you were the goat

- skate fast even if it leads to nothing

- be a nice guy overall. discussion will always end up to where people take it personal because you've been just a nice guy.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2022, 09:40:22 PM by somesortofspin »

3D X-Ray Vision

« Reply #71 on: January 31, 2022, 09:16:33 PM »
Reading fs180s posts on here is like watching someone douse themselves in gasoline and self-immolate on a public street in protest of all the inequity and unfairness of the world, while sitting in the lotus position and not moving a muscle

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #72 on: January 31, 2022, 09:23:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
fred gall
you only liked habitat because it made skateboarding more white upper middle class I wear brown pants friendly
nothing against upper middle class and brown pants
just stating thats why people like Fred gall

[close]

fred did some great and innovative skating in his prime
[close]

like what innovation lmao

He was one of the first to popularize skating Lovepark, coming through blazing fast with stylish switch tricks.

he was kind of like the Rowan Zorilla of his day, making halfcabs look great too.

also longevity. it's a thing, and he's on it.

somesortofspin

« Reply #73 on: January 31, 2022, 10:01:16 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ews15qqWGlA

between this guy and fred. who do you think got more "skill"?

how many times was he mentioned on here and how many time fred?

bet he isnt "trendy" enough and that comes from a guy who loves fashion. I just prefer him over him.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2022, 10:59:31 PM by somesortofspin »

LebowskisRug

« Reply #74 on: January 31, 2022, 10:24:28 PM »
I like Fred Gall but most Slap posts about him are just generic shitposts so people can get gnar’d.

Barren

• Rep: 1
« Reply #75 on: February 01, 2022, 12:40:56 AM »
how to be overrated:

- skate in a time barley anyone remembers who's on a website arguing about skateboarding

- skate crusty spots. you cant look good on a basic spot? ride down a street full of pebbles and act like you are constantly in danger

- video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

- do tricks switch. people will think your bag of tricks is insanly large if you do switch tricks. normal idiot thinks everythings harder switch.

- have the right industry friends from touring and being a party animal that will put your name over thousand skater who were better around that time to make it seem like you were the goat

- be a nice guy overall. discussion will always end up to where people take it personal because you've been just a nice guy.

There's footage of this?

frontfootimpossible

• Rep: -25
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #76 on: February 01, 2022, 01:01:30 AM »
Max Palmer...

Crucify me!
Quote from: Slap MessageBoards
frontfootimpossible,

You have received a warning for posting offensive material. Please cease these activities and abide by the forum rules otherwise we will take further action.

Regards,
The Slap MessageBoards Team.

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 530
« Reply #77 on: February 01, 2022, 01:44:31 AM »
Reading fs180s posts on here is like watching someone douse themselves in gasoline and self-immolate on a public street in protest of all their imagined/fabricated inequity and unfairness of the world, while sitting in the lotus position and not moving a muscle running around screaming in people's faces about "hipster websites."
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

somesortofspin

« Reply #78 on: February 01, 2022, 02:18:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Reading fs180s posts on here is like watching someone douse themselves in gasoline and self-immolate on a public street in protest of all their imagined/fabricated inequity and unfairness of the world, while sitting in the lotus position and not moving a muscle running around screaming in people's faces about "hipster websites."
[close]

dude we are all hipsters. skateboarding consists of 70 percent of people like rad rat or revive. and I dont mean that in any negative way I dont hate them at all. why do you think nyjah is so popular? why does he get these big deals? because people buy his product and love him. they go to street league and cheer without thinking anything could be whack about it. we are just the taste makers/ out pointers

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 530
« Reply #79 on: February 01, 2022, 03:10:27 AM »
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -237
« Reply #80 on: February 01, 2022, 03:47:43 AM »
I guess I’d say Max Palmer even tho I like his skating a little.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

somesortofspin

« Reply #81 on: February 01, 2022, 04:12:04 AM »
my favorite part about arguing is when someone just uses the biggest tv sitcom in history to win his arguments.
using memes is probably as hipster as it gets.
im better than that. cheers.

flo marfaing was on seek as long as it lasted and got dropped while fred got his nice paycheck at habitat to fuel his drug addiction.
drug addiction is so cool.

IpathCats

« Reply #82 on: February 01, 2022, 06:40:18 AM »
Max Palmer...

Crucify me!

Gnarred for your bravery. Hold strong, these NY hipsters are weak, you'll be fine.

Swithflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -748
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #83 on: February 01, 2022, 06:54:53 AM »
[email][/email]
Expand Quote
Silas B
Alex Olson
That Fat guy from Hockey.
[close]

Alex Olson is legit one of the greatest skaters of his generation.  Watching this dude skate behind closed doors is something else.  He needs to take it easy on the voodoo medicine though.

Who are skaters of his generation?

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #84 on: February 01, 2022, 07:11:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Max Palmer...

Crucify me!
[close]

Gnarred for your bravery. Hold strong, these NY hipsters are weak, you'll be fine.

The idea that Max Palmer is overrated is ridiculous. Did anyone think he was going to be as good as he is now? When he was on Coda I thought he was pretty good but now he makes magic happen with his feet.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #85 on: February 01, 2022, 07:13:17 AM »

this is just good life advice!

IpathCats

« Reply #86 on: February 01, 2022, 07:41:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Max Palmer...

Crucify me!
[close]

[close]

The idea that Max Palmer is overrated is ridiculous. Did anyone think he was going to be as good as he is now? When he was on Coda I thought he was pretty good but now he makes magic happen with his feet.
[close]
i suspect that most people who think max palmer is overrated weren't paying attention to the old john wilson videos and missed out on his progression over the past decade. watching him (and cyrus!) go from pseudo-novelties to genuinely amazing, talented skateboarders doing shit like kickflip backside noseblunt in that fountain or backside smith grind madison square garden has been so fun and unexpected. they really took it from 0 - 100

that, or they're just slap hipsters who get a kick out of being contrarian for the sake of contrarianism

To be clear, I don't dislike max, I enjoy some of his stuff, the more creative clips. BUT the pedestal SALP has placed him on is just silly. IDGAF about his progression, MFer needs to tighten his trucks and stop contributing to this wobbly board hipster cool guy BS trend. Also, his long hair phase was disgusting. Also, next to Cyrus, he is incredibly underwhelming.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #87 on: February 01, 2022, 07:42:51 AM »
how to be overrated:

fred gall fucked your mother didnt he

DanCorteseFromMTVSports

• Rep: 279
« Reply #88 on: February 01, 2022, 07:43:41 AM »
Expand Quote
- That collection of Instagram footy that turned into his magnum opus somehow
[close]

Good shout. I keep returning to it more than his other parts, tbh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11IJU8k3Rr4
I feel like the casual/effortless Alex Olson is the best Alex Olson.

For example, the back to back lines he does in this 2015 Alltimers video is my favorite footage of him. (That half-cab flip.)
6:26
http://vimeo.com/113632879

somesortofspin

« Reply #89 on: February 01, 2022, 08:06:32 AM »
Expand Quote
how to be overrated:

[close]

fred gall fucked your mother didnt he

seems like deep down you want kiss him on his forehead while you are spooned up in bed and talk about his very strong skate legacy while you go through his hair with your fingers and say "oh dont even mind. just keep talking."