Author Topic: Do FA/Hockey, AWS/habitat, quasi Decks have the same shape?  (Read 5609 times)

SlapMcKracken

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 92
Do FA/Hockey, AWS/habitat, quasi Decks have the same shape?
« on: January 31, 2022, 06:36:05 AM »
Or what’s the difference between them?

I want to try to stick to one shape so I don’t have to get used to other shapes all the time when getting a new deck

juniormint

• Rep: 142
Re: Do FA/Hockey, AWS/habitat, quasi Decks have the same shape?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2022, 09:31:29 AM »
They are all pretty square. Quasi tend to be way mellower in my experience. Much flatter
boards currently on PS wood. Rumoured to be moving to BBS perhaps. Quasi boards sometimes have a fair bit of taper too.

FA/Hockey have much steeper kicks, huge noses and are really square with exception of a new (8.44?) more regular popsicle. BBS wood.

BBS pressed AWS/Habitat are nice and full like however not as aggressively blunt as FA, and not as steep. Really nice compromise I have found.

manysnakes

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2022, 09:45:57 AM »
My buddy who loves FA swears that some Skate Warehouse blanks have a nearly identical shape. Clutch wood rather than BBS, though.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1109

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2022, 11:04:12 AM »
The BBS Quasi I have is super similar to a BBS FA just with a longer WB.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following

ish_wav

• Rep: 102
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2022, 12:38:29 PM »
My buddy who loves FA swears that some Skate Warehouse blanks have a nearly identical shape. Clutch wood rather than BBS, though.

O shape clutch wood are very very similar to FA.

Paul_Glider Skateboards

• Rep: 56
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2022, 12:51:15 PM »

Never rode an FA board but I can confirm that those blank natural SW boards were really blunt and had a big shovel of a nose. They were super thin though and razored fast, unlike FA I assume. But for $20-30, it's expected. This was in 2020 if that matters

-
We're a board company that specializes in the twin tail shape
www.instagram.com/gliderskateboards
www.gliderskateboards.com

DM us on IG if you're ever interested. We offer Slap Pals a generous discount!

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2022, 02:32:23 PM »
They are all pretty square. Quasi tend to be way mellower in my experience. Much flatter
boards currently on PS wood. Rumoured to be moving to BBS perhaps. Quasi boards sometimes have a fair bit of taper too.

FA/Hockey have much steeper kicks, huge noses and are really square with exception of a new (8.44?) more regular popsicle. BBS wood.

BBS pressed AWS/Habitat are nice and full like however not as aggressively blunt as FA, and not as steep. Really nice compromise I have found.

Bang on. I'll add, a few AWS decks I've had in the last couple years while not as steep as an FA/Hockey, had some seriously deep concave.

kook1234

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2022, 02:50:19 PM »

Yep. They're also doing an 8.38" with a more standard shape. Currently skating it and it's great https://faworldentertainment.com/collections/boards/products/caleb-debut-black

I primarily skate the Quasi 8.38" shape and it's similar. very mellow.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2022, 04:36:15 PM »
https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=113235.0

Squarish shaped decks thread!!!

Not sure how I forgot about that thread, but I have added it into the new Woodshop links now.

Thanks for the reminder.

As for comparisons or differences, these were the main things to note, all on 8.5 decks as that is what I have here:

FA / Hockey on BBS are shorter overall, proportionate nose and tails, shorter wheelbases, a bit steeper kicks too.

WIDTH
LENGTH
WHEEL BASE

AWS / Habitat on BBS are longer overall, so with shorter wheelbases, the nose and tail are significantly longer than other boards, overall more medium kicks on the boards I have had, definitely not steep, but not mellow either.

WIDTH
LENGTH
WHEEL BASE

Quasi I haven't really compared a whole lot, but being on PS Stix the concave and angle of the kicks is often a bit more mellow (but not always) but the dimensions still fall fairly in the middle of the other two, some boards being different / longer that I have seen, others shorter.  Note PS Stix measure with the concave, so they will be shorter when compared to BBS or other woodshops.

WIDTH
LENGTH
32.125 * PS Stix boards are shorter, so maybe more like 31.95 to 32.0
WHEEL BASE

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2022, 04:48:29 PM »

Or what’s the difference between them?

I want to try to stick to one shape so I don’t have to get used to other shapes all the time when getting a new deck

I forgot to add, be aware of the other Quasi shapes, like this one:

QUASI - MOON CHILD 8.5" SKATEBOARD DECK

WIDTH
LENGTH
WHEEL BASE

I know shapes and sizes might be a bit more uniform in smaller sizes, eg 8.25 or even 8.0 but it is easy enough to pull out info for whatever size you want too.

Any particular size you prefer or what do you usually ride?

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 866
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2022, 04:55:43 PM »
every quasi i rode that was listed @32.125 was actually 31.7 or so
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2022, 05:28:15 PM »
every quasi i rode that was listed @32.125 was actually 31.7 or so

Every proto I've ever ridden listed as 32.125 and was around 31.7ish as well. That's a massive discrepancy. They clearly measure with the concave.

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2022, 05:41:19 AM »
Thanks guys!

Ok; would you say it make sense to stick to really one brand and get comfortable with it?

I wonder if it’s harder to always get used to other shapes / steepnesses for stuff like manuals for example

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2022, 06:16:18 AM »
Thanks guys!

Ok; would you say it make sense to stick to really one brand and get comfortable with it?

I wonder if it’s harder to always get used to other shapes / steepnesses for stuff like manuals for example

Me in shop guy mode now:

What size board do you usually ride?

How long does a board last for you?

Do you have a budget, or can you afford the higher priced boards whenever you want?

Not to be nosey but they are all questions that would give some consideration to which would be best.

If it comes down to a size that is not as common, or is harder to get as everyone wants them, or more expensive and sometimes out of your budget, I would be thinking of whatever is easiest to get hold of in the right price range.

I know a lot of people who bought something, loved it but then found it painful to get more of them, especially if it was somewhat of a limited run, or only came out a couple of times a year.

In saying that, I have found something that I know is reasonably priced (also often on sale for that size / shape) so regardless of graphic, I can buy lots and always have the same board to ride over and over again, even with the slight differences that you would get from BBS (four to a press, some steeper and some more mellow) as per others who are in a similar situation too, but buy more when they can get their hands on them.

The graphic is often the least of my worries, but for some, if the graphic is not something they like, then they can leave themselves short for that run of boards too.

All thoughts and questions that might put a bit of madness in to your skateboarding, but also relevant to the initial question as well.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2022, 02:03:17 PM »
Thanks guys!

Sticking with one shape (and gear) that works for you is the best thing you can do; it takes shit out of the equation. Look at the pros, same shit every time no getting used to this turn, that concave, that shape, that length, etc...just setup and go.

Makes you wonder what most of us keep trying shit...looking for that holy grail I guess?

Find a deck that is constantly made/in rotation for seasonal drops tho.

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 707
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2022, 02:22:54 PM »
AWS/Habitat shapes are good, but the caveat that I have is that the tails are longer than Hockey or Quasi. That can throw some stuff off if you aren't ready for it.

Quasi are the most mellow of the bunch, with a very chill tail.

AWS tends to run about 32.25 whereas the Quasi/Hockey shapes are about 31.something. Maybe 32.

lukepat

• Rep: 7
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2022, 02:44:22 PM »
Its funny i’m on a 8.25 FA Louie and love the blunt/square nose shape, but hate the short tail. Going to be trying a 8.5 AWS next… we all have our preferences…

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2022, 08:39:55 AM »
I‘m getting an AWS next. Maybe I’ll stick to AWS for a while then just to not switch up shapes anymore.

Habitat is the same shape? Any other brands with the exact same shape ?

twic3

• Rep: 16
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2022, 08:44:12 AM »
I am pretty confident WKND uses the same shape as Habitat

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2022, 06:33:22 PM »

From anther thread, same question, so here is the same answer.

I feel like those shapes that AWS and Habitat use are exclusive to them, as no one else seems to have that same shape going on right now.  From one deck of the same size (8.5) they were the same, but I couldn't say for everything in their range, but I am assuming they are, given they are run from the same place and have the same listed dimensions on their websites.

The older boards in normal shapes were the same as DLX shapes and sizes (of which I still have some) but they haven't done those more normal shapes in a while and everything I have seen lately from both brands have been pretty much the same, medium long blunt or squared off kicks with short wheelbases on the BBS made boards.

Both do seem to be different on other wood from various places round the world, with different shapes too, so just be aware of that.  They are BBS in USA and here in AU, but EU might have a mix as does South Americas and Asian areas, as per people's comments about it.

To add to that, PS Stix does WKND and Quasi so it is a different woodshop and those shapes are significantly different, with PS Stix boards having significantly shorter tails than the BBS boards for AWS and Habitat, just for starters.

If you like shorter tails, try WKND, Quasi or FA / Hockey but if you prefer longer tails, then AWS and Habitat will work better for you.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 832
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2022, 08:49:06 PM »

Clutch O shape is basically a hybrid of the FA and quasi square/full 8.25 shapes. It's very similar. Pizza used it for a while and Flip uses it on some decks. I actually prefer it in some ways to the FA one.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 649
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2022, 01:19:37 AM »
I am pretty confident WKND uses the same shape as Habitat
i don't think so
WKND run multiple shapes
Different factories
and read woodshop's posts

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2022, 01:40:08 AM »

From anther thread, same question, so here is the same answer.

I feel like those shapes that AWS and Habitat use are exclusive to them, as no one else seems to have that same shape going on right now.  From one deck of the same size (8.5) they were the same, but I couldn't say for everything in their range, but I am assuming they are, given they are run from the same place and have the same listed dimensions on their websites.

The older boards in normal shapes were the same as DLX shapes and sizes (of which I still have some) but they haven't done those more normal shapes in a while and everything I have seen lately from both brands have been pretty much the same, medium long blunt or squared off kicks with short wheelbases on the BBS made boards.

Both do seem to be different on other wood from various places round the world, with different shapes too, so just be aware of that.  They are BBS in USA and here in AU, but EU might have a mix as does South Americas and Asian areas, as per people's comments about it.

To add to that, PS Stix does WKND and Quasi so it is a different woodshop and those shapes are significantly different, with PS Stix boards having significantly shorter tails than the BBS boards for AWS and Habitat, just for starters.

If you like shorter tails, try WKND, Quasi or FA / Hockey but if you prefer longer tails, then AWS and Habitat will work better for you.

Thx again!
I honestly don’t know if I prefer long or short tails.
Last Decks I was skating were a supreme on old royals and a baker OG on thunder hollow light hi‘s and they all were alright to me.

I got some venture hollow v‘s now.

luvs2spooge

• Rep: -2
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2022, 03:01:13 AM »
That MAN who calls himself "Marbie" is a PEDOPHILE!

He's bringing his disgusting autogynaphilic fetish out onto our streets in front of the kids!

He's demanding kids play along with it and refer to him as a woman!

He's claiming he has a right to flip his penis out in front of young girls in the females changeroom!

He's calling young girls crazy/evil people if they refuse to strip off in front of him on there!

He's cheering for young boys in drag shows!

He's a undeniably a PEDOPHILE!

And anybody who supports him in any way is a PEDOPHILE SUPPORTER!
Modify message

its part of the great reset. some of these morons took a weird twist to the occult methods of combining the 2 into 1, for ascension, and they came out the other end of the kundalini twords the dark side.

first post. long time lurker, hardcore occult and esoteric researcher
hemi sync

luvs2spooge

• Rep: -2
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2022, 03:24:17 AM »
good. now show the Mario and freemason connection, then we keep connecting the dots to what everyone is really afraid to talk about
hemi sync

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2022, 04:59:47 AM »

I have a few boards that I compared today, all 8.5 which might be a bit big for some people, but it was the only size I had between all brands.

FA deck - steepest kicks, medium concave, fairly normal 14.25 wheelbase and normal tail (not as short as I thought it might be)

AWS and Habitat decks - about medium all round, normal 14.25 wheelbase but longer kicks than anything else

Quasi - PS Stix so a little different all up, steeper nose, not so steep tail but it was the shortest tail of all the boards

GX1000 - PS Stix again, steeper than the Quasi, but not as steep as the FA (well used / abused) so couldn't determine length of tail

In the PS Stix boards, Quasi, WKND, GX1000 are fairly similar in some shapes, so check these too if you want to work out some other blunt options for kicks like the FA boards.

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2022, 05:07:51 AM »

I have a few boards that I compared today, all 8.5 which might be a bit big for some people, but it was the only size I had between all brands.

FA deck - steepest kicks, medium concave, fairly normal 14.25 wheelbase and normal tail (not as short as I thought it might be)

AWS and Habitat decks - about medium all round, normal 14.25 wheelbase but longer kicks than anything else

Quasi - PS Stix so a little different all up, steeper nose, not so steep tail but it was the shortest tail of all the boards

GX1000 - PS Stix again, steeper than the Quasi, but not as steep as the FA (well used / abused) so couldn't determine length of tail

In the PS Stix boards, Quasi, WKND, GX1000 are fairly similar in some shapes, so check these too if you want to work out some other blunt options for kicks like the FA boards.

Those are exactly the brands I’m interested in!

AWS/habitat really have such long kicks?

The question that’s the most interesting to me:

Do you have any issues when switching between those brands ? Do you have to get used to the new deck when it’s a different brand?

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2022, 05:37:53 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Clutch O shape is basically a hybrid of the FA and quasi square/full 8.25 shapes. It's very similar. Pizza used it for a while and Flip uses it on some decks. I actually prefer it in some ways to the FA one.

It is an old shape guide, but here is the O shape, first on the left.

The pic should show all the details at full res too.